• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I had to lookup Jump Force to even know what that game was...
That is the #2 game of the month?
My buying habits have become completely juxtaposed to the market.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
Well there goes Crackdown's chances of being a pillar Xbox Franchise. I'll be surprised if they even make DLC on it.

Does Crackdown 3 MP have MTX? It's gonna need it.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
This destroys the narrative of Microsoft claiming that Game Pass can lead to increase the normal sales of the titles featured in the service.

Yeah, that point has been proven valid for multiplayer games intended as GAS, because it will increase the player base and it will boost the popularity of the title.

But for games more focused in the single player aspect, this will lead to a heavy cut on the initial sales.

The only way in which a small developer can benefice from releasing a single player game debuting on Game Pass, is if they have a limited budget for marketing AND they are releasing the game in other systems the same day.

So the visibility of Game pass will boost the sales of the title in the other systems.

But by releasing the game only on Game Pass?

This is a recipe for disaster in the case of single player games.
To be fair, Crackdown 3 was going to comb with or without Gamepass. This is too small of a polling sample to determine anything. And I'm one of those people that isn't fully on board with the idea that Gamepass increases retail sales. I'm still waiting for more proof one way or the other.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
So now with February numbers, where do we predict Switch will end in regards to the 20m goal?

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't EA say it expected some 6 mi sales in the first month?

tenor.gif

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Switch killing it. It should be the top console every month outside the month days gone releases (maybe) and the month the ps4 gets a price drop.

Nov 3, 2017
How are any of y'all surprised Jump Force charted well?

I get that Era is historically terrible at predicting sales, but Jesus Christ guys, look at both the total views and like/dislike ratios of any Jump Force trailer on YouTube. Look at the properties that were most prominently featured. It'd be a bigger surprise if Jump Force didn't do well

Oct 25, 2017
This destroys the narrative of Microsoft claiming that Game Pass can lead to increase the normal sales of the titles featured in the service.

Yeah, that point has been proven valid for multiplayer games intended as GAS, because it will increase the player base and it will boost the popularity of the title.

But for games more focused in the single player aspect, this will lead to a heavy cut on the initial sales.

The only way in which a small developer can benefice from releasing a single player game debuting on Game Pass, is if they have a limited budget for marketing AND they are releasing the game in other systems the same day.

So the visibility of Game pass will boost the sales of the title in the other systems.

But by releasing the game only on Game Pass?

This is a recipe for disaster in the case of single player games.
Crackdown 3 is one of the most poorly received exclusives of this generation.

This isn't damning to Game Pass or Xbox or whatever, it's just a reflection on the poor quality of Crackdown 3.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually curious whether - with the exception of Days Gone's release month - there's any remaining month of the year where Switch won't be #1 for hardware if it can persist despite the games coming out on the competition.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
It doesn't do this at all.

Then what's the explanation for 'Crackdown 3' charting so low? It doesn't even appear in the Xbox One TOP 10.

The bad critical reception is not a valid argument, because other games with bad critical reception like 'Fallout 76' or 'Anthem' charted much higher.

And let's not forget that this was a game featured through various E3s, Microsoft conferences and that was anticipated for years.

Bad critics and bad word of mouth can affect the game, sure, but not as to chart so low.

And I was putting the example of games with its main focus on the single player, releasing day and date on Game Pass.

I'm sure that in other cases, like legacy titles with various years in the market, Game Pass will have the opposite effect, of rejuvenating the popularity and increasing the sales.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Damn shame about the Crackdown franchise, it could and should have been a cornerstone for Xbox

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Jump Force debuted as February's second best-selling game. Launch month sales volume of Jump Force is the third highest total ever achieved for a title published by Bandai Namco Games. Jump Force is currently the fourth best-selling game of 2019 (year to date).
She doesn't deserve those sales.

USA weebs are CANCELLED

PRoyiCR.gif

Oct 25, 2017

It really doesn't. We had other examples that did well (Mutant Year Zero was a financial success according to Funcom and that released on Game Pass day 1). This result is more due to Crackdown's 3 reception, both in public perception and by the critics.

You have absolutely 0 evidence to support this idea besides 1 flop.

And I was putting the example of games with its main focus on the single player, releasing day and date on Game Pass.

Are you actually saying that a game that spent most of it's time in development highlighting the MP and it's cloud tech had a single player focus in marketing?

You just seem ill informed here. All of MS's first party games had strong single player components (besides SOT) since Game Pass inception, and all did well. You are (apparently with a heavy bias) jumping to wild conclusions here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Then what's the explanation for 'Crackdown 3' charting so low? It doesn't even appear in the Xbox One TOP 10.

The bad critical reception is not a valid argument, because other games with bad critical reception like 'Fallout 76' or 'Anthem' charted much higher.

And let's not forget that this was a game featured through various E3s, Microsoft conferences and that was anticipated for years.

Bad critics and bad word of mouth can affect the game, sure, but not as to chart so low.

And I was putting the examples of games with its main focus on thesingle player, releasing day and date on Game Pass.

I'm sure that in other cases, like legacy titles with various years in the market, Game Pass will have the opposite effect, of rejuvenating the popularity and increasing the sales.
That is the meat and potatoes for me, this game was suppose to be the highlight reel for the Azure cloud. But is that tech even in the same place as when the game was first announced?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm happy with Jump Force's sales in spite of the game itself. It shows the brand has power, which hopefully might lead into an actually good Jump crossover game in the future.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017

It's Crackdown 3. The game was poorly received and most didn't care even before that. Do you really think the game would have done much better if it wasn't on Gamepass?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
maybe no one but me and three other people wanted a new crackdown and thats why it didnt sell

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
Anthem first...is a disappointment, given the "public" knowledge about the state of the game before launch.

People should start to inform themselves better before purchasing games and not reward products like this.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
If US sales from 10 days were in the 1+ million range discounting PC digital and only counting the United States, then globally, tracking across Feb+March it's conceivable that they will reach that goal, or at least not fall too far short of it.
We know Japan was around 100k roughly to date, UK is around maybe 100k (last I saw was 40k physical). That's an extra 200k from some of the biggest markets. Even if you double the US sales for PC digital, which is being super generous, you're still getting to around 2.4 to 2.5 million. It's just nowhere close by all known metrics.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
..did Jump Force outsell DBFZ?

"Jump Force debuted as February's second best-selling game. Launch month sales volume of Jump Force is the third highest total ever achieved for a title published by Bandai Namco Games. Jump Force is currently the fourth best-selling game of 2019 (year to date)."

I suppose it at least launched better than DBFZ.

Am guessing the first two spots for Bamco games would be Souls.