• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
It's something expected, Switch still misses a lot of big, AAA 3rd party games. Plus there are people who game on pc.
What about japanese switch owners ?

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
I have both the PC and Switch, but I now tend to buy the Switch version of a game due to portability/convenience

Oct 25, 2017
I have all three systems and PC. Switch does not get that much playtime overall(just exclusives besides a couple indies), but I love the convenience when I do use it.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
People don't get consoles to be secondary, or else there wouldnt be games that sell more on switch than playstation, truth is people get games on whatever console they feel like or if it offers something over the other that they want. People who prevously owned a PS4 or a XB1 doesnt automatically make switch the secondary console, they mofht not even play their previous systems anymore

Well this is wrong in my case, always has been. Nintendo have always been a support console for me.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm in the percent that owns them all as well as an insane pc. I'm a gaming fan that likes options and flexibility to play where I want.

Switch is an awesome console like the others. I play exclusives and many other games. Indies etc.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
rolling my eyes at most of the secondary/complimentary comments. it's great if that's how it is for you, but some people make it seem like that's what it is for everybody.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Next gen will be Switch 2 and PC for me. Never thought I'd say that after being a multi-console owner since the NES.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
Switch is my main console (the only one beside PS2/NDSLite/3DS, that I own). For big third party games that don't release on Switch I use my PC with steam link.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Nothing you said prove anything about Switch being a secondary system by most of it's users. Like I said, this is merely assumption.

Of course, but neither do 3rd party sales indicate that it's a primary console.

We can't know for sure, but we can make educated guesses based on the info available. The best selling 3rd party games each year (which most people play) are not on Nintendo consoles, so I don't think it's unreasonable to assume, with such high cross-ownership, that people are primarily playing on their other console/PC.

As someone else said, I'm sure Japan is an exception, but that's hardly the world.

You misread that thread's title. It is 85% of revenue, where you also need to take into account that Nintendo gets 100% out of the revenue from 1st party games while they get only 30% out of the revenue from 3rd party games...

To quote Ishaan from that thread who says it better

That's a good point. However, I don't think people will dispute that the majority of their sales are still 1st party.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I own both and my Switch gets way more playtime from me. KH3 is changing that momentarily but yea, I love my switch.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
If third party games are designed to be more scalable in the future and release on Switch it would very likely become my primary platform.

For now it's an amazing exclusive + fighting game machine for me.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is somewhat weird. It's full of people saying "Of course Switch owners need to buy an additional console, otherwise they'd miss too many games", when the time scale alone (Xbox One and PS4 being on the market a lot longer than Switch) means that this is likely mostly not about Switch owners buying an additional console, but about people who already own Xbox or PS4 buying a Switch. It's an important distinctions, because it changes the narrative from "Switch owners buying another console because they'd miss out on too much stuff" to "Switch offers appealing functionality and games to people who already own other consoles".

I consider the question whether people buy an additional hardware because the hardware they own doesn't offer enough games actually to be rather uninteresting, I think the general observation that Switch is apparently very appealing to people who already own other current consoles to be a lot more interesting. Likely also indicates (yet again) that the Switch audience is mostly older instead of leaning heavy towards a younger audience (which I don't think surprises anyone, considering both the price of Switch and the all age appeal of Nintendo's brands, which titles like Pokemon Go have shown quite impressively).

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I only use it for Nintendo exclusives, so it's not even a secondary system for me. It's actually my quaternary system!

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Nintendo consoles are really limited. It's not a surprise that a lot of gamers feel that another platform is necessary.