• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This actually indicates Switch is an appealing console for the Sony/Microsoft audience and not a "own thing" as some try to label Nintendo consoles - something started in the Wii days.

This "complimentary console" is just bullshit. There's many people treating it like a primary console and even buying third-party titles on it instead of PS4/XBO.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like it says in the title and tweet below, most Switch owners have a PS4 (as do I), so just wanted to show proof, since in the Games of the Generation thread some were assuming Switch owners didn't play some Sony's highest rated games.

I don't plan on owning another Xbox until next gen, based off the rumors of two consoles (premium and standard?) are going to be announced. But it's great to see Switch owners also own an Xbox One.

What's the crossover there? How many Switch owners own both a PS4 and X1?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Of course there is over lap...why wouldn't there be.

It's a good device to pick up every now and then to switch things up mood wise after hours of being in super polished and hyper realistic AAA games.

syth

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, getting one has basically relegated my PS4 to a Netflix device, which is a bit sad.. but I can't stand the lack of freedom now with being anchored to the TV.

NintenDuvo08

Oct 30, 2017
I see people saying the Switch is their secondary console while for me it is my Primary console, considering the fact i have more games on my Switch than on my Xbox One and PS4 combined

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I can't see the Switch being my only bideo system. For every compromised port of a major third party title we get on it, we miss like 6 others.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I mean yeah. I've always saw the Switch as more of a secondary console rather than a main console.

It misses out on too many 3rd party games and is honestly a little too weak for me to use it as my main console.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
This actually indicates Switch is an appealing console for the Sony/Microsoft audience and not a "own thing" as some try to label Nintendo consoles - something started in the Wii days.

This "complimentary console" is just bullshit. There's many people treating it like a primary console and even buying third-party titles on it instead of PS4/XBO.

I don't know what exactly is "bullshit" about it. Unless you're taking it to mean it is lesser? I think I do view mine like that because it's mobile and the specs. I don't think its bad or anything I just know games like Red Dead aren't going to be on it and I won't play big online games on it. Same way I treated the vita and 3DS before it.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
yeah you miss out on a bit if you don't have another system, my main platform is PC and my PS4 and Switch compliment that. Although I do usually get indies on Switch so it gets a bit more use than my PS4.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

But...I do wonder if this was the case last gen too. I've said as much about last gen.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I own a PS4 but haven't turned it on since I bought a Switch in march 2017. I should probably sell my PS4 but I plan to play some of the exclusives one day.

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
Not surprising.

It's a great side piece with some great Nintendo games and the ability to take it on the go but atleast for me and the circles I'm in a terrible console to have if it's your only option.
Not saying it's Impossible to make it your main device but man...I'd hate to miss out on games like Sekiro or Metro. I couldn't do it.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I don't know what exactly is "bullshit" about it. Unless you're taking it to mean it is lesser? I think I do view mine like that because it's mobile and the specs. I don't think its bad or anything I just know games like Red Dead aren't going to be on it and I won't play big online games on it. Same way I treated the vita and 3DS before it.

It's bullshit because most people didn't buy it with the thought of "this would go nicely alongside my PS4/X1 where I spend most of my gaming time".

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's bullshit because most people didn't buy it with the thought of "this would go nicely alongside my PS4/X1 where I spend most of my gaming time".

I bought mine to play Mario and Smash. I play other things on it, but I bought it with specific games in mind. My other platforms were just for games in general.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Brilliant move by Nintendo to distance themselves from Sony /MS approach. It seems most people interested in having two consoles are going to make sure Nintendo i made one of them.

Oct 25, 2017

How is it bullshit if that is what some are using their console for? Some use Switch as their main console and some use it as a complimentary system.

Why does this upset you?

And I am pretty sure they mean major 3rd party games when 3rd party is mentioned.

Colloco

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
florida

totally agree, sounds like a backhanded compliment. Is it a library thing? The switch is on par (exclusive wise) with even the ps4 thats had a 3 year head start. obviously third partys not exactly at the level they would prob want, but still pretty good.

I would say theres more than enough content on it for anyone to call it a "main" console.

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know a single person either online or irl who has both an XBO and a Switch other than myself, so I find that statistic highly surprising.

I don't dispute it of course, but I never would've expected it to be that high.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
yeh the overlap is too high for combos of other systems. you miss out on a lot by not having a Switch and either PC/Xbox/PS

shit's rad tho with the Xbox percentage. idunno anyone who has an X1 and Switch except me.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Complementary" console ? At 300$ ? With all the accessories ? And the games ? It's at the bare minimum 400 to 420$ with a Pro Controller and a game. There is nothing "complementary" about that...

Is it so hard for people to say they have 2 consoles because they could not own just one ? I know I can't.
The Switch is a fancy Game Boy, that's what a lot of the general public sees it as based on the numbers in the OP.

And thats not a bad thing at all.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people offended be the word complimentary? It doesn't mean "secondary". Two consoles can compliment each other.

The switch's features and library means that it'll enhance/compliment a multiconsole gamers experience in ways that other combinations won't. That fact that so many switch owners have at least one other console shows that consumers view it as a great compliment to their setup.

For many people Ps4 and xbox don't compliment each as well because the offerings are so similar.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My argument is that isn't the case for most people.

So if I call it a good complimentary console, that's bullshit, because not everyone uses it like that.

Its a good console

You dont have to add an asterisk to it.

It is a good console. Very good. If someone saying they have one to compliment their other platforms upsets you, maybe you're too emotionally invested in the honor of a video game box. I play games on both my PC and Xbox. I play different types of games on them. They compliment eachother. One isn't worse than the other because of that.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Have all three and the Switch is just a complimentary console for me, so I play the unique stuff on it and rarely use the handheld aspect of it since it's not portable for me.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo consoles will always be secondary to me, No way in hell will i ever own only a Nintendo console as long as they keep using underpowered hardware and miss out on a vast majority of 3rd party titles.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I own all three but it makes sense. The exclusives make it a great second console. The ability to play on the go makes it godsend for me.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's absolutely what I did and I know I am not alone. The Switch was never going to be a main platform for me. So It's not outrageous or even suprising.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. The suggestion that most people view it or use it in that way is bullshit.

Is it really unfounded though? Clearly there are plenty people here with anecdotal experience that lines up with that, plus there's the data to back it up. Over 50% is no joking overlap, and that's only assuming that the PS4 and XBO numbers overlap with eachother completely, which they likely don't. It's a pretty reasonable conclusion to reach.

Since when is being a complimentary console a bad thing anyway? Different platforms have different selling points.

Colloco

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
florida
Why are people offended be the word complimentary? It doesn't mean "secondary". Two consoles can compliment each other.

The switch's features and library means that it'll enhance/compliment a multiconsole gamers experience in ways that other combinations won't. That fact that so many switch owners have at least one other console shows that consumers view it as complimentary.

For many people Ps4 and xbox don't compliment each as well because the offerings are so similar.

For the record not offended, that does not mean i don't see what a lot are trying to do, a LOT of people use secondary the same way they use complimentary, they can no longer argue the success of the switch, so they have to try and get their hits in any way they can. Truth is theres just as much original content available on switch as there is on consoles that have been out more than twice its life cycle, and the rest of the library offers something for everyone.

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this is me. I have a PS4 as a secondary console so I can play certain Sony exclusives and From Software games. Oh, and watch Netflix and stuff.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Switch is my main system. Sure, I don't have right now neither a PS4 nor an XB1, but that is completely out of choice. With the amount of money I spent these last 2 years on Switch games, I could have bought a PS4 and an XB1 for each person in my household + have money left for games for each...

We do have a gaming PC in my household, but it is used by someone else.

If you don't care that much about owning the latest AAAA cinematic games, there are already more than enough great 3rd party games on Switch, with more coming out all the time.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Considering it was launched late in the generation, this was kinda inevitable. Maybe next gen...

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017