• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
The Switch is a beast. Literally if Nintendo delayed Switch Pro by a year, it will have minimal impact to Switch sales. If I were Nintendo, ride the OG Switch as long as you can. Also 1st party sales are great for the Big N . I know MS is gonna have most of there 1st party games on Gamepass eventually, but when you see the amount of units sold of Nintendo 1st party games vs Gamepass users, one would think that selling 1st party games separately has its advantages. Guess we'll see how Gamespass does in the long run.
don't you dare to question gamepass

Noobie

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
December NPD results and only 4 pages. Has the gaming community moved to some other place ?

Sir Sonic

Jan 14, 2020
December NPD results and only 4 pages. Has the gaming community moved to some other place ?

Yeah, Media Create and Famitsu Charts on Japan are pretty populated these days.
last week I believe we reached page 30 I guess... I don't know, They discuss things A LOT...

I guess getting data weekly has its own benfits

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling that we haven't seen the peak of Switch sales yet. I think this year is gonna be their biggest year yet and finally after that we will begin to see the decline. That pretty much guarantees they'll hit 100 million units and my bet is that they will be the closest console to hitting DS/PS2 numbers.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling that we haven't seen the peak of Switch sales yet. I think this year is gonna be their biggest year yet and finally after that we will begin to see the decline. That pretty much guarantees they'll hit 100 million units and my bet is that they will be the closest console to hitting DS/PS2 numbers.
100m is already pretty much guaranteed. It will be at ~80m by now.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
This isn't a new insight, but imagine how much more Nintendo would dominate if they shared digital. They have an arm tied behind their back and are still killing it. Makes you wonder if AC could have been at #2 or #1 for the entire year.

OP
OP

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having numbers help

Revenue charts while the best way to measure , unit charts are more fun to discuss as we can backcalculate the numbers similar to pal charts

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
So Switch is ~flat in November and December. now I wonder if they did reach the 12m ww shipment I estimated for the quarter. They should be close at least.
Anyway, really great results despite not reaching very optimistic estimations and I think this fiscal year is probably peak. it would be really hard to match, even Q4 is going very strongly right now it seems.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
With regards to activity, less data is notable, but even months where we got leaks this year weren't big. IIRC we didn't get a leak for June 2018 at the time but it got way more activity than say Dec 2018 (back when we had the pork) by comparison.

Things are predictable for now and with both HD twins supply constrained there's nothing to war over. A lot of the decline is just less obnoxious fanboying and that isn't a real loss.

With that said the loss of insiders of all sorts and Mat has really hampered the discourse here too. Even if they weren't giving us raw NPD data it really elevated the discussion. These threads haven't been the same since.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
25 months as #1. I can't see another platform beating that anytime soon.

Even when PS5 and xbox stock gets normalised I can't see either hitting a streak like that.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
But it's the only Mario brand not in the top 10. Financial disappointment doesn't mean it's a flop. An argument can be made that it's one of the worst performing Mario games since the ones on the GameCube (which sold less systems).

New Super Mario Bros U and Mario Kart 8 were also on the WiiU, and had versions of the franchise on 3DS, DS and the Wii.

No one said Nintendo is losing sleep, but it is the worst performing "major" Switch release so far. Especially here, where many said that NSMBU was essentially worthless after SMM2 released (I never understood that logic, but it was the majority opinion here and amongst many content creators.
I think the Mario Maker appeal is just more limited than one would expect. Games, where content is created by users, have been struggling across the board. Look at Dreams failing to make a splash and Little Big Planet falling off hard. I think those attracted to those types of games have moved to GaaS games, PC mods, or something else.

That said, Mario Maker 2 is an undisputed success. It will sell close to 10 million by the end of its run. That would be lauded as a major success under any other circumstance. Like, I think Ghosts of Tsushima might eventually get to that amount for example. When you hit a critical mass of Mario games on a platform, certain ones are going to be prioritized less than the core 2D and 3D games. While it ididn't chart in the Top 10 here, I'm sure we will see it shipped a cool million or more so far this year.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017

No actual numbers released plus Sony and MS gamers have moved on or don't do battle because Nintendo is dominating. Although during the Wii era on GAF, NPD threads were more livelier with people posting meme's like Mama_Robotnik and talking about sales. Also Nintendo doesn't gloat like Sony or MS PR, they're lowkey. I betcha if MS was No. 1 in NPD sales, Phil Spencer would be yelling through the rooftops.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
People will start appearing once PS5 reclaims the top spot. If something I have learned from this forum, when Nintendo does great barely moves the thread, Nintendo fails... A lot of people start commenting lol. I find it funny.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
People will start appearing once PS5 reclaims the top spot. If something I have learned from this forum, when Nintendo does great barely moves the thread, Nintendo fails... A lot of people start commenting lol. I find it funny.

Remember the massive thread about Animal Crossing New Horizons becoming the best selling game of all time in Japan within like 6 months of launch?

Yeah me neither.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
There is an individual thread for like every nintendo game's record breaking sales every time sales reports come. Not sure where this idea of Nintendo being an underdog is coming from.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
There is an individual thread for like every nintendo game's record breaking sales every time sales reports come. Not sure where this idea of Nintendo being an underdog is coming from.
There is, but not many comments. Compare a Nintendo is doomed to a Nintendo is breaking records and see the amount of pages.

Jul 26, 2018
Valhalla did great, and I'm amazed to be immortal so high. I'm gonna try both when the gold edition (with season pass) gets to 30 bucks.

Also, I don't find a Switch appealing at all, so I'm missing out like half of the games in there

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
There is, but not many comments. Compare a Nintendo is doomed to a Nintendo is breaking records and see the amount of pages.
www.resetera.com

Super Mario 3D All-Stars has now outsold the 2020 sales of every game on Amazon except Animal Crossing

Super Mario 3D All-Stars already outsold the 2020 sales of The Last of Us Part 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and the Neon Switch console itself on Amazon and is one of the best selling games of 2020 in 4 days. Utterly insane, and clearly the easy ports paid off for them very well...

www.resetera.com

Animal Crossing (1.8M sold) drives the switch to its highest sales week ever in Japan (392K, higher than launch week)

Update - Animal Crossing has now gone over 3M (physical only) in 3 weeks. Switch has sold 830K in those 3 weeks. https://www.resetera.com/threads/media-create-sales-week-14-2020-mar-30-apr-05.180971/ Both Animal Crossing & Switches are still hard to find, so there is probably still pent up...

www.resetera.com

Animal Crossing: New Horizons launch sales in UK 3.5 times bigger than New Leaf, bigger than all FW of all AC games combined (digital not included)

Massive launch. UPDATE: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-03-22-animal-crossing-new-horizons-smashes-sales-records-in-the-uk

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

Super Mario 3D All-Stars has now outsold the 2020 sales of every game on Amazon except Animal Crossing

Super Mario 3D All-Stars already outsold the 2020 sales of The Last of Us Part 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and the Neon Switch console itself on Amazon and is one of the best selling games of 2020 in 4 days. Utterly insane, and clearly the easy ports paid off for them very well...

www.resetera.com

Animal Crossing (1.8M sold) drives the switch to its highest sales week ever in Japan (392K, higher than launch week)

Update - Animal Crossing has now gone over 3M (physical only) in 3 weeks. Switch has sold 830K in those 3 weeks. https://www.resetera.com/threads/media-create-sales-week-14-2020-mar-30-apr-05.180971/ Both Animal Crossing & Switches are still hard to find, so there is probably still pent up...

www.resetera.com

Animal Crossing: New Horizons launch sales in UK 3.5 times bigger than New Leaf, bigger than all FW of all AC games combined (digital not included)

Massive launch. UPDATE: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-03-22-animal-crossing-new-horizons-smashes-sales-records-in-the-uk
You actually proved storres' point with those threads. Only the 3D collection was a big thread, the others are 3-6 pages, that's very underwhelming for era.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Isn't there basically a weekly 30+ page Nintendo sales celebration thread in the form of the weekly Media Create sales.

Nintendo fans can only rejoice so much. NPD would be overkill.

Oct 25, 2017
No official numbers leaked, a constant dominant platform, and most of the bad faith actors either got banned or lost interest and retreated to their respective OTs.

That's the recipe for smaller sales threads.

Then again we do still see them from time to time. People just ignore them now.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
NPD threads have become boring. Switch's performance is no longer surprising. We need PS5/XSX to start being more competitive to make NPDs fresh again. March NPD thread should be fun though. MH Rise's sales performance will probably cause a bit of a kerfuffle.
Isn't there basically a weekly 30+ page Nintendo sales celebration thread in the form of the weekly Media Create sales.

Nintendo fans can only rejoice so much. NPD would be overkill.
Also this lol