• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
The placement of RE6 is just kind of baffling to me when you consider its placement in the top sellers by units by the franchise. I mean, yeah, there have been heavy discounts, but pretty much all of those titles have had heavy discounts. You've been able to get 4-7 for next to nothing multiple times. I wonder how the logistics of that works.

Oct 29, 2017
Even with the huge dollar advantage on its side, I'm surprised that FF15 and FF13 are as high as they are on that list.

RE4 is probably the highest selling of them all in the US when you account for RE5's dollar advantage though.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Its the same with people hating FFXIII. As was stated, the game was a big success for them (nd they managed to make 2 more sequels (well, more for XIII-2 than LR)from left over assets) and as evident with XV and XIV reborn, the divisiveness of the title did little to hurt the series.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The placement of RE6 is just kind of baffling to me when you consider its placement in the top sellers by units by the franchise. I mean, yeah, there have been heavy discounts, but pretty much all of those titles have had heavy discounts. You've been able to get 4-7 for next to nothing multiple times. I wonder how the logistics of that works.

Gotta remember that NPD is just US.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
They don't share those numbers since that much time. Aka, numbers are there for new releases, not for older ones.

Nah iirc Mat said that when companies join they give NPD data from many years, or something along those lines. Not sure if it was a tweet or a comment here when he was a user.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
You'd have to adjust for the different market sizes of the periods. Latest games will almost always outsell the earliest.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I just noticed that IX is lower than X-2

There is no God

Capcom overshipped the fuck out of RE6 so its prices went down faster

That's my theory anyways

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Then the numbers shouldn't be baffling to you since the overall unit sales ranking (RE6 being Capcom's third best selling game) are worldwide numbers.

I don't really think that matters much to what I'm saying unless there's some evidence that RE6 sold a lot more or less in certain regions.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't get why people has this narrative that Final Fantasy XV was this huge bomba

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
As expected, based on dollars, RE6 didn't do that hot at all. Shit was $20 a month after release.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I honestly don't understand this forum's inability to recognize the plainest sarcasm. This comment is so clearly sarcastic, I mean you can tell even without the context of it being a thread where FFXV is at the top of a sales chart. With that context it is amazing to me that multiple people read this comment and didn't come to the conclusion that it's sarcasm.
I mean considering how XV tops the list you should realize that was sarcastic post lol. Also probably reference to people on the old forum expecting XV to flop back in 2016 before its release .

Hell no, nothing is "obviously sarcasm" in a forum that frequently downplays success, especially for a game as controversial as FFXV.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Always found it interesting that the first RE was the best selling in the series until the release of 2.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
RE3R should be climbing up that ladder very quickly. :D

Shame that CV might never get an opportunity at a remake.

I'd love to see a game based on the Russian Umbrella Lab.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Hop Mat will update this ranking with the launch month of RE3/FFR to see where they land (even if pandemic would lower their results compared to a normal situation)

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
FF9 deserves to be higher. Best PS1 FF game.

in terms of being an all-time franchise seller it never had a chance, being a ps1 game in 2000

out of my ass assumption but i suspect that's why square greenlit a main numbered FF that wasn't realistically rendered pretty boys with crazy swords. it was going to sell just ok no matter what

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I still don't get why people has this narrative that Final Fantasy XV was this huge bomba

I say this as someone that didn't really enjoy the game, people have a hard time removing their personal opinion from the equation when evaluating games whether critically or commercially.

OP
OP
Naga

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Nah iirc Mat said that when companies join they give NPD data from many years, or something along those lines. Not sure if it was a tweet or a comment here when he was a user.
Fair enough if that's the case. Wish those rankings were clearer by indicating the platforms.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
This shows how Capcom platinum charts don't show the whole picture.

For many older games like PS1/2 era, they don't show all the SKUs and just the launch one. No other reason RE2 is that high.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'd be surprised that with current numbers, plus digital, that RE2 remake isn't above RE2 by now.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Which versions of these games are they some of these have remakes and remasters.

All those people tricked with Operation Raccoon City

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Watching FFIX below X-2 hurts much.
People have no idea what they are missing

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
RE5 was the first RE game to launch on more than one console. FFXV and XIII were the first FF games to launch on more than one console.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Some interesting rankings in there, like RE7 vs 6 (I wonder if this includes the remaster?) or FFXI being in the top 10.
FFXI was released on PS2, Xbox 360 and PC. And even the average price went up also because of the bundle with HDD on PS2. So based on dollar ranking it makes sense.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
RE4 being higher than RE5 is the most interesting thing here. Since by units sold, it's not more than 5. Meaning it got a LOT more full-price sales thanks to all the ports.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
I just remembered how in other threads people said FFXV only got its sales because it was dirt cheap, but the dollar sales are still quite high here lol

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Wonder if XIV has passed XI yet for most profitable/most revenue generating FF ever. Don't think any other game outside of XIV has a chance at coming for that crown anytime soon if XI still has it.

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting to see FFXV and RE5 as the best sellers, the games that FF and RE fans don't like that much.

You mean that vocal minorities don't like that much. The vast majority of people liked those games.

Happy to see XV up there. Tabata and his team worked tirelessly with a completely new Engine and a super short development time given by Square, and yet they managed to create a fantastic game with critical and financial acclaim, and one of the greatest successes for the company!