• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love seeing MK doing great. 2nd top sold games of 2019 ? Sick that's amazing for a FG. Capcom on the other hand milking dwindling fan base with the 50th Chun li costume.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Don't take it personally. There's a defence force on this forum surrounding (of all things) the Switch CPU when people bring up that it struggles to maintain a solid 30fps with modern looking open World games when there's lots of data out these supporting that fact (BotW, Fortnite, XB2, LA Noire, Warframe, Saint's Row, Ark, Dragon's Dogma, AC3).

It's OBVIOUSLY 'lazy dev's' in those instances though and couldn't possibly be hardware related bottlenecks...

Switch wipes the floor with PS360 when it comes to RAM amount, general memory bandwidth, GPU compute aswell as modern engine support. The CPU on the other hand is a 4 core ARM mobile CPU from 2014. It's nothing special, it struggles against PS360's CPU performance in large scale open World games and only has ~40% the compute real World performance against the weakest current gen CPU (base PS4).

IMO, the only reason GTA V isn't on Switch is because Rockstar would want to do an 'in between Gen' sort of Remaster but it's performance with the improved shaders, traffic density and foliage isn't up to it due to Switch's CPU limitations. The test was LA Noire which is much more 'empty' than a potential GTA V Remaster.

Don't @ me. I've said my piece to back someone up who was being attacked for 'trolling' while also being accused of being 'toxic' just because they gave their opinion...

He was fucking avatar shaming people, which is the stupidest form of trolling there is. I will be glad to "@ you" on that.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I guess the shade against the terrible Switch performance was too subtle...

Lol.O_O

Dragon's Dogma suffers on Switch?

From what i have played, it actually perform better than my experience on PS3.

And why is this even still a question lol? Bayo 1 performance on PS3 run like shit while Bayo 1 performance on Wii U and Switch is damn good. That alone should already show that Switch as machine is more powerful than PS3 and 360. Anyone who claimed other is just wrong.

Oct 27, 2017
Moreso pertaining to the current month but Benji's giving some scoops, Team Sonic Racing's Switch version is likely to be the highest selling version of the game, and it supposedly had pretty good opening numbers. Also expecting a fantastic PS4/XBO debut for Crash based on preorders.

This is just a prediction though. His predictions are hit and miss. Still, unfortunate that we have to repost tweets from someone who continues to get sales data from Era but won't post here anymore. Though my "powers" here are quite limited, I and others worked for months to keep these threads clean. Turns out what he really wanted was a following, and he has it now. I wish him luck but can't abide what he's said about this place as a whole. I hope the future will be different.

Speaking of cleaning up threads, this Switch performance derail is over. Move on, please. Thank you.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
This is just a prediction though. His predictions are hit and miss. [snap]

His predictions are always subject to some caveats, but in my perception they are more often right than wrong.

Two things that might speak against this one:

1) I sometimes get the feeling that the data he sees has slight "upward bias" for Nintendo (hardware & software)
--> software might be true for all people that only see retail data because Nintendo usually has a lower digital share
2) SEGA does not report eShop sales to NPD

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Don't take it personally. There's a defence force on this forum surrounding (of all things) the Switch CPU when people bring up that it struggles to maintain a solid 30fps with modern looking open World games when there's lots of data out these supporting that fact (BotW, Fortnite, XB2, LA Noire, Warframe, Saint's Row, Ark, Dragon's Dogma, AC3).

It's OBVIOUSLY 'lazy dev's' in those instances though and couldn't possibly be hardware related bottlenecks...

Switch wipes the floor with PS360 when it comes to RAM amount, general memory bandwidth, GPU compute aswell as modern engine support. The CPU on the other hand is a 4 core ARM mobile CPU from 2014. It's nothing special, it struggles against PS360's CPU performance in large scale open World games and only has ~40% the compute real World performance against the weakest current gen CPU (base PS4).

IMO, the only reason GTA V isn't on Switch is because Rockstar would want to do an 'in between Gen' sort of Remaster but it's performance with the improved shaders, traffic density and foliage isn't up to it due to Switch's CPU limitations. The test was LA Noire which is much more 'empty' than a potential GTA V Remaster.

Don't @ me. I've said my piece to back someone up who was being attacked for 'trolling' while also being accused of being 'toxic' just because they gave their opinion...
I think you have rose tinted glasses of how last gen open world games performed on last gen consoles. The CPU is about 2-3x the power of Wii U's (Which had a crappy CPU, but still cappable of tagging along the 360/PS3).

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
This is just a prediction though. His predictions are hit and miss. Still, unfortunate that we have to repost tweets from someone who continues to get sales data from Era but won't post here anymore. Though my "powers" here are quite limited, I and others worked for months to keep these threads clean. Turns out what he really wanted was a following, and he has it now. I wish him luck but can't abide what he's said about this place as a whole. I hope the future will be different.
I'm pretty sure Benji has access to actual data though, both from retailers and (at least sometimes) from NPD reports. Most of his predictions are also correct, and he say it when they are predictions (not "this will do this much" as a definitive).

For the rest of your post, isn't that off-site drama (which I remember being frowned upon for everyone)?

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
Most of his predictions are also correct, and he say it when they are predictions (not "this will do this much" as a definitive).
"his"
for example, he definitely took this from Chris' post in MC thread and even didn't mention that:

Especially after he said that he knows nothing about Japan market and was never interested in that.

And the worst thing that some people started to think that this is final result and he never corrected them.

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Sonic isn't doing amazing or anything. It will be high in npd and people will think it did great but May overall is just going to be a really soft month.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

lol at "don't @ me"

This isn't your personal blog
I think you have rose tinted glasses of how last gen open world games performed on last gen consoles. The CPU is about 2-3x the power of Wii U's (Which had a crappy CPU, but still cappable of tagging along the 360/PS3).

yeah, it's pretty obvious a number of users have completely forgotten how poorly the vast majority of open world titles performed on last-gen hardware compared to performance on Switch. Negatively comparing Dragon's Dogma on Switch to the 360/PS3 versions is flat-out hilarious.

Edit - oops, didn't see the mod post. Ok, conversation over.

Last edited:

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"his"
for example, he definitely took this from Chris' post in MC thread and even didn't mention that:

Especially after he said that he knows nothing about Japan market and was never interested in that.

And the worst thing that some people started to think that this is final result and he never corrected them.

He dont need to take the data from Chris or Era though? As famitsu data is open for everyone to see there. Hell, many other sites compile japan sales number there.

And i am sure that Benji have multiple times provide accurate information regarding NA market there. He certainly had his source there.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Outside of PvZ and Mass Effect Trilogy (which seems to be stuck on last gen) I don't think EA's portfolio really likes up with the Switch user-base anyway, but that's just me. Their games tend to be very heavily online be focused which people tend to go to other platforms for due to superior online service.
I guess PvZ is an online game too but u just feel that one would do well on Switch

Capcom has been the big disappointment. They should have at least announced a new Ace Attorney by now
I find it kind of baffling that EA never ported Burnout Paradise. Now that's a good fit.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
"his"

Oh I definitely agree that his points on the JP market are useless.
But my point is that he didn't frame that like a prediction. Doesn't change the rest of my post anyway.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
"his"

Literally every video game website on the internet posts weekly Famitsu charts though. Era doesn't even show up in the first 5 pages of a Google search for "weekly Famitsu charts" (but GAF does, oddly enough). Incidentally, Famitsu also posts weekly Famitsu charts.

Edit: Ah saw your above post. Nevermind lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom has been the big disappointment. They should have at least announced a new Ace Attorney by now
It's bizarre that Capcom made a big deal about improving Switch support back in 2017 citing Ace Attorney specifically as an example.
Took them two years to get even the AA trilogy out, and it's the weird looking mobile port and multiplatform.

Still not entirely sure why even their abundance of last gen, late ports are taking so long and are being handled so weirdly.
That's not even mentioning the lack of new games aside from Megaman.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's bizarre that Capcom made a big deal about improving Switch support back in 2017 citing Ace Attorney specifically as an example.
Took them two years to get even the AA trilogy out, and it's the weird looking mobile port and multiplatform.

Still not entirely sure why even their abundance of last gen, late ports are taking so long and are being handled so weirdly.

One day we're gonna find out what happened behind the scenes with them and Nintendo. I bet it's juicy.

Or possibly just obvious (i.e. moving MH from Nintendo and Nintendo responding by no longer paying for Capcom's distribution in Europe).

Dec 23, 2017

It's all fluff from them and many other publishers.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That wasn't even Famitsu. That was prediction from Chris (or maybe YSO). Benji even doesn't know what YSO is.

See this post https://www.resetera.com/threads/media-create-sales-week-16-2019-apr-15-apr-21.113271/post-20299022
Benji saw this, and then tweeted it like that was his own prediction :)

Ahh. I see. If thats the case then indeed Benji is taking some info from Era there. But the mod post there is like painting a whole broad thing that Benji dont have any sales data there.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

As a mod you are in a biased position, he raised concerns about the forum and now you are attacking back basically, it's not a great look to bring personal beef here, I thought that was against the rules anyway?

From my uneducated viewpoint the quality of this forum has been declining and I don't know if it's because there have been a lot of changes behind the scenes or not and I understand how much work goes into moderating this forum and upkeep but there is a reason why we don't get people within the gaming industry posting here as much now. Sales or otherwise.

OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Just to clarify a few points.

1. We verified Benji as having access to certain US sales data (Not from NPD) which gives him an overview of how certain retail software or hardware may be performing.
2. It's up to Benji if he wants to post here or not.
3. If a tweet is relevant to the thread and provides additional data points or context then it's fine to post it here. But if a tweet is not related to the thread or is just reposting data already on era then there isn't a need to bring it up and discuss it.
4. Let's move on and try and discuss the topic at hand.

Oct 25, 2017

Speaking of cleaning up threads, this Switch performance derail is over. Move on, please. Thank you.

To be fair he's absolutely right about this place at times. The quality imo has been declining. Too many users here are focused on trying to "gotcha" too many other users. Most threads at least on the gaming side devolve into straight negativity making it hard to have a legit discussion.

I also feel as a mod you shouldn't partake in any attacks. The conversation regarding someone outside this forum should have been straight up shutdown.

There's a reason many industry don't post here

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
People with good data and sources are completely driven away from sales threads. It was even the case on GAF over the years.

There are some of us who just follow it and discuss stuff away from here because it's inevitably a mess.

Get a grip. People are posting as people. Enjoy the ride.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People with good data and sources are completely driven away from sales threads. It was even the case on GAF over the years.

There are some of us who just follow it and discuss stuff away from here because it's inevitably a mess.

Get a grip. People are posting as people. Enjoy the ride.

Well i still remember seeing some on Era who actually celebrate when Media Create stop giving number lol. Some just dont want to see any number to make sure their beloved brand remain winning.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I'm not refuting your other points but L.A. Noir doesn't run on Rockstar's RAGE engine (the game wasn't developed internally) so I don't see how it could have been a test to see how GTAV would run on the Switch.

Honestly, I have no idea why Rockstar hasn't ported GTAV given how many people would love a portable version of the game regardless of compromises.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
Well i still remember seeing some on Era who actually celebrate when Media Create stop giving number lol. Some just dont want to see any number to make sure their beloved brand remain winning.

And on the flip side, people literally celebrated every week for the beloved Pac-Man. Not because of the platform doing well, but because it was doing decently and the other was performing awfully. It's the same shit you're accusing others of.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017

These threads are and have been incredibly clean for a very long time, you guys have done a fine job of that. I never understood what he was complaining about, ever. All anybody ever did was praise him, sycophantically at times, but then sometimes he would start a whole martyr routine out of nowhere. It boggled my mind, but it became apparent that he was doing it just to hear everyone beg him to stay.

Edit: I'm sorry, I didn't see the Admin post asking to move on from this discussion until after I posted. Feel free to delete if it's deemed necessary.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And on the flip side, people literally celebrated every week for the beloved Pac-Man. Not because of the platform doing well, but because it was doing decently and the other was performing awfully. It's the same shit you're accusing others of.
I just like the Pac-Man because it looks graphically pleasing lol. I don't care which company constitutes the actual chart. That said, superficial considerations aside, it's absolutely in the industry's best interests to not have one platform do well at the expense of all others.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

That is fair, I think we all get too wrapped up in our favorite gaming companies doing well (and some probably do like it when others don't do so well). It's awesome that we get so passionate but it does go too far and get too personal way too often.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These threads are and have been incredibly clean for a very long time, you guys have done a fine job of that. I never understood what he was complaining about, ever. All anybody ever did was praise him, sycophantically at times, but then sometimes he would start a whole martyr routine out of nowhere. It boggled my mind, but it became apparent that he was doing it just to hear everyone beg him to stay.

Yeah, the whole situation has been ridiculous. Tons of us tripped over ourselves constantly to let Benji know how much we appreciated him. There were some bad apples, most were dealt with, the rest he put on ignore.

It's fine he left, this place can be extremely toxic at times, but the vast majority of this community treated Benji with great respect, so whatever. Good luck to him.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the whole situation has been ridiculous. Tons of us tripped over ourselves constantly to let Benji know how much we appreciated him. There were some bad apples, most were dealt with, the rest he put on ignore.

It's fine he left, this place can be extremely toxic at times, but the vast majority of this community treated Benji with great respect, so whatever. Good luck to him.
I assume the abuse was.being done via DMs or people name dropping him in a.negative way off site

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Wut? Pacman is literally meme that is used whenever a platform sold more than 70% on japan market. Any game company have get their pacman moment.

We literally had another meme that talent win lol. If seeing a factual chart end up triggering you, probably sales thread is not for you there.

And for u to use Pacman meme as a reason to be A okay with losing years long sales information is hilarious.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assume the abuse was.being done via DMs or people name dropping him in a.negative way off site

I'm sure there's more to the story than I know. My issue is throwing the community under the bus after he left. Many users here showed him great respect and we didn't deserve that.

Hopefully he's much happier now and I mean that genuinely.

Edit - sorry, didn't see the Zhuge post, so I won't comment further.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the problem- it doesn't matter who in the world you are, you will always get hate or dissent or disagreement, that is the nature of the internet by definition. You need to have a thicker skin if you put yourself in the spotlight, otherwise don't put yourself in the spotlight to begin with. I'm not even an insider or industry person or anything, and I get a ridiculous amount of hate on this site (and elsewhere) just for being a visible poster.

Benji got (sometimes almost sycophantic) amount of people appreciating him, and he absolutely would go off into self pity fueled posts, hijacking threads for pages at a time. He even randomly went off at Mat Piscatela once. I appreciate his contributions to this community, but I do not appreciate his tendency to want to be the center of all discussion all the time, nor his thin-skin and inability to take any internet abuse, which in a perfect world would not exist, but in our imperfect one, is a default part of the online identity experience.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
ANYWAY I'm very curious how much the digital sales reporting helped games like MK11 and FFX/X2 chart on the Switch charts. Would Smash have been #1 with digital?

I'm really curious how the digital split in general looks for Switch at the moment. I'm guessing it's growing extremely quickly.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
One day we're gonna find out what happened behind the scenes with them and Nintendo. I bet it's juicy.

Or possibly just obvious (i.e. moving MH from Nintendo and Nintendo responding by no longer paying for Capcom's distribution in Europe).

I doubt it's all that that juicy, probably just comes down to various business decisons. Capcom struggled for many years last gen after early success, both on the HD consoles, and later on the 3DS. It wouldn't be surprising if they looked at the hardware sales of the WiiU/3DS, and how their software had performed, seeing that Nintendo was in decline, and decided to cut bait and focus elsewhere when they were signing exclusive deals early this gen for stuff like Dead Rising and Street Fighter. The moment they made the decision to make Monster Hunter World, they had little incentive to support the Switch, particularly as they abruptly found new levels of success focusing on the current gen consoles and pushing harder into the PC market. Beyond that I imagine that Nintendo, in usual Nintendo fashion, probably did not pursue them very hard ensure they would make Switch software.