• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Really impressed with Mortal Kombat 11 being the best selling Switch game this month. I didn't voice any pessimism, but I certainly was thinking it might not do as well as the evergreen titles from Nintendo. This is why I just read sales threads and not actively participate in them, I guess!

Saint's Row 3 also has no competition on Switch in the open-world crime sandbox department.

Don't forget LEGO City Undercover! It's only an open-world crime sandbox game because it'd be a crime to miss it!

(I am so sorry for that joke--which should be a crime against good humor in itself--but I love LEGO City Undercover and had to make that joke even though you're right that Saints Row 3 is one of the only games on Switch actually fitting your criteria. ^_^)

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
of course it was, just ask all the experts who said KH3 was going to flop this year on account of it being a niche product that is too reliant on knowledge of previous titles
Didn't KH1 and 2 sell really well? I remember seeing that the first one sold over 5m while the second one sold over 4m

Dec 23, 2017
Really impressed with Mortal Kombat 11 being the best selling Switch game this month. I didn't voice any pessimism, but I certainly was thinking it might not do as well as the evergreen titles from Nintendo. This is why I just read sales threads and not actively participate in them, I guess!

Don't forget LEGO City Undercover! It's only an open-world crime sandbox game because it'd be a crime to miss it!

(I am so sorry for that joke--which should be a crime against good humor in itself--but I love LEGO City Undercover and had to make that joke even though you're right that Saints Row 3 is one of the only games on Switch actually fitting your criteria. ^_^)
SR3 is doing very well. I think it is a game that will have legs. A lot of switch owners will get the game. It will sell well over its lifetime.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its strange that kh3 is the best selling game of the year but its not there in the top20 of the month or top 10 ps4 games of the month

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
With all the context added that is a really amazing debut for Days Gone. I'm happy for Sony Bend

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Wait how did Days Gone make #2 for the month, we've only had 3 months, and it didn't make top ten for the year so far? Where Mk11 is #2?

I guess the gap with which MK11 beat Days Gone must be HUGE then.

Edit: I guess I do forget about the Switch. In games where Switch has a solid presence, it gets really hard for PS4 exclusives to challenge 3 platforms.

Anyways, score one against the "only Nintendo games swell on switch" crowd of me, this month.

I dont own a switch but in my imagination picking up fighting games on it appeals to me too. If I ever bought one, I had planned to pick up streetfighter 3oth anniversary. Especially one pushing graphics like this. I guess the masses agree with me.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I figured MK11 would beat Days Gone in the US but holy shit the Switch version. Platform support is paying off.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Wait how did Days Gone make #2 for the month, we've only had 3 months, and it didn't make top ten for the year so far? Where Mk11 is #2?

Or maybe the gap from #2 to #10 isn't that big, it could be anywhere from 10k-500k, do we have any data for that?

edit: and yeah MK11 is on more platforms.

But anyway US sure love their violence lol

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Edit: I guess I do forget about the Switch. In games where Switch has a solid presence, it gets really hard for PS4 exclusives to challenge 3 platforms.

Anyways, score one against the "only Nintendo games swell on switch" crowd of me, this month.
Probably helps that MK11 has a much larger potential audience and is an established IP

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Jump Force STILL in the top 20.

oS36uC9.gif

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone wondering "Who still hasn't bought GTA V?"

It's me. I have yet to buy it. Rockstar might get me one of these days, be it through a port to Switch, or I'll just eventually get it on Xbox One. And then Rockstar, their mission to finally make literally everyone buy GTA V complete, will begin work on GTA VI.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I hope the success of MK11 on Switch DESTROYS for good that notion that high profile 3rd party games cannot perform on the Switch. Every multi platform games should be on the Switch, no more excuses ! Capcom, Square Enix, EA, Activision, Ubisoft, etc...

tenor.gif
Not everything can be ported to the Switch, & that's fine. Games like RE2, DMC5, & RDR2 are punching well above the Switch's weight class (outside of compromising the game in a significant way, such as DMC5 running at 30fps). And that gap is only gonna get wider as we get into next-gen.

Last edited:

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Crackdown 3's performance is downright embarrassing for Microsoft. I guess the long wait and poor buzz killed all hype for the game.

There was no real hype for the game, even without factoring in those things. The game revealed poorly, didn't showcase any unique aspects that drew eyeballs, and subsequent chances at generating higher metrics has consistently not worked out. Poor reviews was just the final pin of a bunch of cascading factors.

The reason I say this is because long wait/poor buzz could easily be applied to Days Gone too, but it sold well in spite of long wait/poor buzz - because there was genuine hype for it.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
It's very hard for third Partys to top the charts on Switch, because Nintendo evergreen titles sells unimaginably amounts. Nonetheless third party games seems to sell very well on Switch, despite not always charting high, and most Indies sell most in Switch anyway. Many AAA games would do very well too, if they released timely.
Third party sell well on a Switch I would say they sell very well on Xbox and PS. I also am not sure of just making a blanket statement like Indy games sell best on Switch. They seem to thrive whenever a new console is out and doesn't have a lot of competition. I can remember a ton of praise for early 360 days and Sony was home Indy devs first 2-3 years of the gen.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty crazy to see how successful MK is back to being since it was practically moribund in the GC/PS2/Xbox gen.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised as well. I thought that Division 2 might take the top spot in the YTD chart. MK11 might dethrone it next month.

KH3 even managed to enter the rolling 12 months chart at #9, above BF V (no PC digital for that one).
I do wonder if you add the pc numbers if td2 would be ranked higher

Dec 4, 2018
I'm happy that Day's Gone is seeing success. I'm not far in it moreover, I'm really enjoying the game. I'm shocked I'm liking it.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not everything can be ported to the Switch, & that's fine. Games like RE2, DMC5, & RDR2 are punching well above the Switch's weight class (outside of compromising the game in a significant way, such as DMC5 running at 30fps). And that gap is only gonna get wider as we get into next-gen.
Y'all have to stop saying this. Y'all said this about doom, wolfenstein 2, MK11 didnt even give yall the chance.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Am I wrong that a third party topping switch charts is pretty dope? I feel like even well selling third parties, especially non-japanese ones dont usually top nintendo games even when they didnts release that month.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Am I wrong that a third party topping switch charts is pretty dope? I feel like even well selling third parties, especially non-japanese ones dont usually top nintendo games even when they didnts release that month.
Ports tend to sell less then the original release, its no wonder MK11 managed to top it and that's if you don't count octopath

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Y'all have to stop saying this. Y'all said this about doom, wolfenstein 2, MK11 didnt even give yall the chance.
Just because those games got ported, it doesn't mean that every single game can be. There are games that would be too taxing on Switch hardware, it's just how the Switch is as a hybrid console. That's not to take away from the accomplishments of the games that did get ported, but assuming that every single game can be ported will only end in disappointment.

If something like the RE Engine could work on the Switch, Capcom would've brought it over by now (I'm of the mindset that Capcom likely attempted to bring the engine to the Switch & something went wrong). Likewise, I'm not sure if a game like RDR2 would even run decently on the Switch. And like I said earlier, this is only going to get worse as we get into the next generation of consoles. It's okay if not every single game can be on the Switch, but let's enjoy what it can get.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just because those games got ported, it doesn't mean that every single game can be. There are games that would be too taxing on Switch hardware, it's just how the Switch is as a hybrid console. That's not to take away from the accomplishments of the games that did get ported, but assuming that every single game can be ported will only end in disappointment.

If something like the RE Engine could work on the Switch, Capcom would've brought it over by now. Likewise, I'm not sure if a game like RDR2 would even run decently on the Switch. It's okay if not every single game can be on the system, let's jist enjoy what it can get.
No, not every single game can work on the switch, but you need to stop assuming games cant work on it unless the developer specifically says so and even then it could just be a matter of PR as some devs saying no or it cant in 2017 have turned right around in 2018 and 19

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope the success of MK11 on Switch DESTROYS for good that notion that high profile 3rd party games cannot perform on the Switch. Every multi platform games should be on the Switch, no more excuses ! Capcom, Square Enix, EA, Activision, Ubisoft, etc...

tenor.gif

Except for that whole power issue. There are plenty of reasons a lot of third party games aren't ever coming to Switch, they just wouldn't be possible.