• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Jebus, even an indie dev, putting his own right of how dismal sales are on PS4 sparks a console war on ERA. If there indie anecdotes and seems that this developer was warned by other indie devs that indie games on the PS Store are bomba. I honestly also think that alot of these indie games are perfect for Switch portability wheeee one can easily play on the go. Still concerning that next gen alot of indies might outright avoid the PS5 if sales continue to be dismal.
There's absolutely no chance of this happening. Sony will make sure they get pretty much all the high profile indies for the first couple of years just like they did with the ps4.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
What do you consider out legging? Smaller week over week drops? If you are not talking raw sales you're not presenting your point clearly.
Yeah, given that three separate people have misunderstood what I am saying, the problem is definitely with how I have worded things.
My basic point is that for the markets we do have data for, Paper Mario charted higher than TLOU2 routinely (Japan, PAL)
GOT consistently beat Paper Mario and TLOU2
Animal Crossing outsold TLOU2 in July (it's charted higher through July for the markets we have data for); in at least one market (Japan), it eventually managed to topple GOT as well.
The overall point I am making, the context of which is important, is that the notion that PS4 had a lot of games vying for attention, but that the Switch or PC didn't, is false.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Dev advice, know your platform and audience. There is no mystery here why it bombed on PS4.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
If I had a PS4 and a Switch (which I do), and if I was interested in this game (which I'm not), I'd buy it for the Switch. I always try to buy my Indies on the Switch, most of them looks better in handheld.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
There's absolutely no chance of this happening. Sony will make sure they get pretty much all the high profile indies for the first couple of years just like they did with the ps4.

I don't see Sony heavily investing in indies right out the gate. Buy they don't need to...

Gamepass has shown indies with high quality product they can get money and strong exposure from MS. Seemingly while still doing good numbers on Switch.

Nintendo has accidentally built the best indie machine of all time and developers reap the benefits of massively inflated sales on Switch.

Sony, might have fallen behind here in the last few years but it doesn't matter. There are a lot of good indies great for knowledgeable players on forums like Era. But the mass market appeal of Sony's first party will be more valuable out of the gate.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
By your responses, why should any indie games bother releasing on PS4?

Don't you think this is something Sony should address?

1. I don't know.

2. I don't have a vested interest in what Sony or any other digital storefront sees as important when it comes to games that float to the top in their ecosystem. I'm sure if they felt like they needed to address it, they would. They came out indie strong with the PS4, and maybe that didn't pay off for them across the board would be my guess.

I see games rise to the top on Steam almost constantly that Valve made zero effort to promote just because of word of mouth. If enough people that played this game felt the need to promote it on social media, Twitch, etc, that would be the best thing for it. Indie or AAA, consumer reaction is the best barometer when it comes to new releases, and will make or break any game.

5% of 2000 would only be 100 copies, but 2000 would still not be great. We don't have numbers for context, so it's hard to really know the significance of the PS4 falling short while the Switch and XB1 paid off for the developer.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
They shouldn't have to ask Sony to change their game's price (and Sony shouldn't be able to decline). There needs to be a way for devs to directly adjust the details and price on their store page without going through Sony, like you can on Steam.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, given that three separate people have misunderstood what I am saying, the problem is definitely with how I have worded things.
My basic point is that for the markets we do have data for, Paper Mario charted higher than TLOU2 routinely (Japan, PAL)
GOT consistently beat Paper Mario and TLOU2
Animal Crossing outsold TLOU2 in July (it's charted higher through July for the markets we have data for); in at least one market (Japan), it eventually managed to topple GOT as well.
The overall point I am making, the context of which is important, is that the notion that PS4 had a lot of games vying for attention, but that the Switch or PC didn't, is false.

The Origami King has only been out for just over 2 weeks. The Last of Us 2 had been out for a full month longer. As a single player game with a gigantic launch it's a little disingenuous to claim Paper Mario is out legging it just based off what we know now. Animal Crossing is a better comparison though there was never any doubt in anyone's mind Animal Crossing would sell better after seeing the insane launch numbers it posted.

If your point was just that it wasn't only PS4 players that had a lot of games pulling attention sure, I agree. Only people deep in the console warrior none sense are pointing to 2 games swallowing up the entire markets attention. We are in a period where game sales across the board are higher than ever lol, these people don't know what they are talking about.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
The Origami King has only been out for just over 2 weeks. The Last of Us 2 had been out for a full month longer. As a single player game with a gigantic launch it's a little disingenuous to claim Paper Mario is out legging it just based off what we know now. Animal Crossing is a better comparison though there was never any doubt in anyone's mind Animal Crossing would sell better after seeing the insane launch numbers it posted.

If your point was just that it wasn't only PS4 players that had a lot of games pulling attention sure, I agree. Only people deep in the console warrior none sense are pointing to 2 games swallowing up the entire markets attention. We are in a period where game sales across the board are higher than ever lol, these people don't know what they are talking about.
That was basically the broader point I was going for, I had meant for Paper Mario (and AC) to be illustrative examples, but I do admit the conversation got away from me lol.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
It's nice to see that the "People don't buy 3rd party games because of 1st party ones" narrative stopped being Nintendo exclusive now.

Drksage

Oct 30, 2017
So are you agreeing with this post or not because that is my entire point of my previous posts.
I'm not agreeing with that post nor I'm agreeing with you. that user is being hyperbolic but it's easy to understand what's he's trying to say. To say everyone on ps4 is playing TLOU or GoT is stupid, but so is your comment saying that there 100m users.

- Apples to oranges comparison in multiple ways. You are comparing an AAA title disappointing in sales when released near other AAA titles and not an indie. Like I said, Titanfall 2 was more of a general bomb and didn't bomb on one platform while doing proportionally way better on another from what we know.
- Any way you split that percentage it doesn't come out good for the PS4, the total sales weren't mentioned and aren't really relevant. If the developer had said the game had bombed everywhere but especially on PS4 that would be a different scenario.
- They get passed over because what is being posited so far (TLOU and GoT) aren't factors.

You know what never mind. I should have stopped trying to get my point across and establishing a conversation as soon as you said "- 5% means that for every 5 copies sold on the PS4, there were 100 copies sold on the Switch." Or perhaps even earlier

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I wasn't really aware of this game until reading this thread. I took a cursory look at it, and...no, thanks, this isn't my type of game.

It's not that PS4 owners don't buy indie games. I just bought Demon's Tilt and Cuphead on Tuesday (the day both of them released), so it's not like I'm stingy. But to be honest, even if I was aware of Nowhere Prophet, I wouldn't have bought, just simply because it doesn't appeal to me.

If I were to buy a game like this, I'd be more inclined to do so on PC...but (for my gaming tastes) I would not have bought it there, either. No offense to the publisher or developer, but this just isn't my cup of tea.

I'm not going to attempt to explain why it sold poorly on PS4, or why it sold better on other platforms. I'm just explaining why I didn't and wouldn't buy it.

Is everyone conveniently missing the fact that SONY told the publisher they were "too busy" to apply a launch discount on the game? That is freaking LAUGHABLE

No, this is a key point, and something that the publisher should certainly confront Sony about.

Judging by the posts in this thread, it would probably be the best for indy devs to skip PlayStation in the future.

No, I don't think so. But I think Hippopuncher12 explained it well.

I personally would prefer Sony to just do a better job at putting these games in your face instead of the devs just skipping the platform. My PS4 is my main platform for all games even indies over my X1X, Switch and PC. It sucks they seem to not do as well on there as other places and Sony themselves should be doing something on their end to help get these games out there so people know they exist.

I agree.

If the publisher asked for a launch discount and Sony failed to give it to them, then that's one of the problems that needs to be addressed. In the case of this game, I don't think it would've altered their fortunes considerably, but it would've probably helped out a little bit at least.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I knew PS4 was generally 3rd place for non-AAA stuff but these figures are eye-openingly bad. The other big surprise is the Gamepass bump pushing Xbox so far ahead of PS4 for curated devs. No wonder MS is getting JP stuff like Yakuza and Dragon Quest now after missing out all gen.

Shu's got his work cut out for him.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I knew PS4 was generally 3rd place for non-AAA stuff but these figures are eye-openingly bad. The other big surprise is the Gamepass bump pushing Xbox so far ahead of PS4 for curated devs. No wonder MS is getting JP stuff like Yakuza and Dragon Quest now after missing out all gen.

Shu's got his work cut out for him.
Buying timed exclusivity isn't the same as devs going to xbox and saying "please take us!"

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm really not sure why PS4 owners tend to buy less indies, it doesn't seem to be an isolated incident though and I can definitely see some smaller indies skipping the platform in the future because of it.

sejny

Oct 30, 2017
I can't read all 16 pages but I hope someone has mentioned that they made nowhere near the profit they did on Switch.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not sure why PS4 owners tend to buy less indies, it doesn't seem to be an isolated incident though and I can definitely see some smaller indies skipping the platform in the future because of it.
Probably because of the audience Sony's been cultivating. Players who want AAA games may be more willing to overlook indies until they explode in popularity, like Cuphead.

Gamepass probably allowed people who weren't convinced on the game since they gave it a spin and decided to buy it to support the dev, and in the case of Nintendo, indies are an important part of the console, acting as main pillar of the third party between first party releases. Since both MS and Nintendo have been pushing indies heavily in the last time, the console user base may be more willing to get them.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is just the nature of the beast. For our first game, the Switch port outsells all other platforms COMBINED. Actually, the eShop is what turned the game into a decent commercial performer (we are approaching 100k sold across all platforms atm).

Moreover, we have recently put the game for the first time at the bargain bin discount level on eShop (90%) which pushed it into Top 15 for a short while and resulted into new sales that have surpassed lifetime PS4+Xbone!

The Switch is the primary money maker for the indies now. In fact, I very much agree with the linked TT post in that it's probably more worthwhile to make an "exclusive" for NS and make sure it's polished there instead of aiming for a multiplatform simultaneous launch on the other consoles.
What game is that if you dont mind me asking?

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This honestly doesn't look very appealing, maybe as a 2ds game, tons of those systems out there.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Still concerning that next gen alot of indies might outright avoid the PS5 if sales continue to be dismal.

New consoles and platforms are always a prime opportunity for indies. It's a neophile market, a prime time for people to try new games.

It'll be interesting to see the impact of BC and 'service' games, but the earlier years of a console cycle are usually the best time for indies to make a mark. That opportunity does wane over the cycle as bigger games become entrenched.

I expect they'll be all over PS5 for that reason, especially if Sony is out scouting for games as they appear to be again.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
This honestly doesn't look very appealing, maybe as a 2ds game, tons of those systems out there.

If the game doesn't look appealing being the reason, then the game should have sold similarly on Switch, no ?
—-

I wonder if visibility being the reason why indie struggle in PS4.

I recently got into PC gaming and it opened up my eyes on indie/smaller game scene with how often Steam plaster them on store front page. Compare to PSN where I feel like they only promote big games on store front page.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, there's a lot more options on PS4. Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima, two major games with huge advertising campaigns came out exclusively. Can't think of anything even close to equivalent on Switch or Xbox.

Mani

Jan 14, 2018
London
Seeing sales figures for my own indie horror game were 'interesting'. It's a humble pie every indie developer has to eat.
First of all, our game might never be as appealing to others as it ever was to us. Even if it does appeal to the right audience and is actually a good experience, finding the right audience might never happen.

Few handful indie games that make it big gives a false illusion to a lot of us that it is a likely outcome for us if we keep at it. The harsh reality is, that most creators will find very little to none audience for their games. Making it big and reaching wide audience is technically possible but There is a massive gulf of cold obscurity; that's where most of us will remain no matter how many things we create.
Once you come to terms with that, you can focus on finding the joy in creation. That's the only way for you to keep going if you want to be an indie game developer or a creator in general.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
ps store could really use a revamp as a lot of games can get lost in the shuffle

And ,maybe its just me, its pretty much impossible to keep track of the games coming out so i just wait for sales on psn to scope out anything