• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Well it seems PlayStation gamers are less interested in indies than others ecosystem

Yet PS4 achieved record software sales almost each quarter, you can't win everywhere

Sad to hear for the developers !

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I originally bought into the PS4 after the indie showcase. People just want to play AAA games on here and nothing else, but gaming is bigger than that corporate bullshit.

The PlayStation marketing was incredible for the launch of PS4 and absolutely made me feel like I screwed up getting an XB1 at launch. I did eventually end up with a PS4 and hell, I really enjoy many of the PS4 exclusives. The marketing and focus is different now though, which I guess a lot of people are OK with.

It's pretty shit though to be dismissive about things and make ugly comments about a dev based on a fact-based tweet. This is an enthusiast forum and too many people are way too defensive of their platform of choice, it's just the way it is.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is a bunch of fanboy drivel.
The bottom line is people buy what they want. The majority of PS4 either did not know about or did not want this game.
Would a discount from Sony have helped? Maybe, but doubt. I think the issue is NOT that PS4 owners do not have the money, but that you are
fighting for mindshare on a Sony console do to the sheer amount of content.

Now about Sony not having time to apply a discount, that's just dumb on Sony's part.

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
this feels to me like a Cliffy B. situation, blaming Ps4 for the Lawbreakers flop. Ps4 goes superb for Undertale and Lucas Pope (Obra Dinn, Paper's Please) and many, many other indies.
Except the game didnt flop in other platforms! The publisher is jsut saying "we were told PS4 sales for indies were bad but we didnt expect it to be this bad".

Well it seems PlayStation gamers are less interested in indies than others ecosystem

Yet PS4 achieved record software sales almost each quarter, you can't win everywhere

Sad to hear for the developers !
holy fuck the fanboy-ism in this post.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Cool, why's he airing his dirty laundry like that? Just comes off as really sour grapes or something.

Lueken

Dec 15, 2017

Sounds like it is a hit-and-miss thing with indie games receiving support from Sony. I think they are picking the ball back up in that aspect, especially with Shu's new position. That said there are so many indie games releasing weekly and only so much push Sony can give.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Complaining"

He commented about his game and how it's performing, he always does that, but go on.

"Commenting" how PlayStation is a bad place for Indies after 3 days on the store is borderline whiny.

Firstly, how much did it sell on the Switch, specifically? For all we know it could be 50 copies. It's been only 3 days and a lot of people haven't even heard of the game.

Secondly who's publishing it? No More Robots. I haven't heard of a single game from this pub. Have they had a spot on any sizzle reel, PS blog post or on any State of Play? That's usually where Sony pushes indies. Maybe go with a different pub with a better presence on that storefront?

Again, forgoing an entire platform because the stars didn't align with your latest release seems rash and smacks of whinging.

May 17, 2018
The bigger story here is Sony not bothering to apply the discount I think. That's just peak "we don't give a fuck" behaviour.

Yep, it doesn't make sense, it straight fuck any possibility for the game to do well in an already competitive space.

This is definitely the weirdest part to me. I feel like it requires a bit more explanation from the publisher.

Like, I would think there'd be more explanation than that.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Its not like this game would be the most valueable kind of content available on Switch either - so i dont quite get this argument.

Maybe, just maybe, the launch window for that game has coincided with the launch of some other games that have more adherence with the platform audience. I don't know if in the last few weeks there has been anything like that on PSN, but perhaps it could help explain the lack of interest from users in this game.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
People don't want to hear this but indies are dime a dozen nowadays. Unless you have something that truly stands out, you are going to get lost. Switch being a portable helps the sales of these games on that platform as they usually don't rely on the power of the high end consoles. There is a reason Sony moves away from indies at one point and now back again to promote new experiences on ps5. They will stop again in 3 years when big publishers start cranking out ps5/xsx games.

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not that it's Sony's fault but maybe PlayStation gamers are just more into big games or high production games? If indie devs are struggling to sell on PS4 in comparison to other platforms maybe the the PlayStation audience leans more heavily to be interested in big AA games or AAA games. Sony continues to release really big first party games and maybe that's causing their audience to prefer those type of games? Some people used to complain about PS shows with heavy indie influence before so idk maybe there's some correlation.
Which is weird, because i remember clearly they waving the indie flag like nobody's business. Actually it was pretty much used as one of the bullet points on how Sony was much better than MS, even though MS was giving exposition to indie games for quite some time.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Obviously very disappointing for this dev but it doesn't surprise me. There's just so much competition on the PS Store these days, and sadly this game doesn't exactly jump out to me. I'd be interested to know, outside of the aforementioned discount, whether he feels there's more Sony could have done to help promote it or if this is just the nature of the beast at this point.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
I've got more games in my backlog than are available on Game Pass, trust me I am already beyond the pale
Somehow I doubt you have 376 games but if you do, damn :P Good luck!
im not trying to console war, and all those larger games came later on and will drop off a lot faster. the majority of content on gamepass will be indies they will help round out their service ,allow for them to have way better exposure and offer the best value. when those AAA 3rd parties are permanent on game pass day and date you can come and tell me i was wrong.
Not sure where you're getting your info, but DMC5 (another big game) got released onto Game Pass a month after its release. The new Yakuza game will be launching directly into Game Pass also (EDIT: might be wrong on this one), and bigger AA and AAA launches will only get more frequent now that Game Pass has 10 million subscribers. They are going to continue investing in both third party AAA as well as first party going day and date, in addition to indies like you said :)

Last edited:

Reaper55

Oct 25, 2017
I usually go through the new games section of the store weekly, but cuphead stole the light this week. Though I'll be honest, that price point seems high.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Except the game didnt flop in other platforms! The publisher is jsut saying "we were told PS4 sales for indies were bad but we didnt expect it to be this bad".

holy fuck the fanboy-ism in this post.
What fanboyism ?
It's just fact, PS4 gamers are more interested in AAA games (or at least full games) given data because it set software sales record

And indies seems to have poor sales on PS4, and that's sad for the developers

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
There a many examples like for example Thimbleweed Park or Monster Boy
I remember this one and is a curious story: released day and date with Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, after six months of exclusivity on Xbox/PC. I'm not surprised it performed so poorly.

Its success on Switch is phenomenal, however.
Yeah, I'm speaking more to the apparent general pattern that seems to be indies underperforming non PlayStation
I agree on that front, yes. Big indies work, just like shown by Cuphead or Fall Guys this very week; anything under that is ignored by the community.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously very disappointing for this dev but it doesn't surprise me. There's just so much competition on the PS Store these days. I'd be interested to know, outside of the aforementioned discount, whether he feels there's more Sony could have done to help promote it or if this is just the nature of the beast at this point.
You should see the eShop or the Xbox Store. There is huge competition for indie games everywhere right now.

What fanboyism ?
It's just fact, PS4 gamers are more interested in AAA games (or at least full games) given data because it set software sales record

And indies seems to have poor sales on PS4, and that's sad for the developers
Sorry, it sounded like you were mocking indies by saying "who cares, Sony is breaking software sales records!"

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
This game looks great, but it's going to have to be a Steam buy for me; don't like my switch for this kind of stuff. I'm sorry a whole lot of you have no taste.

Also, LMAO @ "There's nothing else to play on the switch". Are you people blind AND oblivious?

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
This is definitely the weirdest part to me. I feel like it requires a bit more explanation from the publisher.

Like, I would think there'd be more explanation than that.

I would agree on this. No reason for a pub to say no to more games with discounts. Only reason I can think is they missed some deadline for the current sales around or something. But definitely would like to hear an answer

Saber778

Aug 21, 2019
This isnt really a console game, its more of a portable game this doesn't surprise me at all...

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Not sure where you're getting your info, but DMC5 (another big game) got released onto Game Pass a month after its release. The new Yakuza game will be launching directly into Game Pass also, and bigger AA and AAA launches will only get more frequent now that Game Pass has 10 million subscribers. They are going to continue investing in both third party AAA as well as first party going day and date, in addition to indies like you said :)

a lot of big games are on Game Pass.

anyonone saying otherwise has no idea what they talking about

dont waste your time with that poster.

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
In case the devs are reading this, here is some anecdotal data for you:

I've never heard of the game.
It doesn't look like I'd want to play that on a big screen.
Given those first two, I wouldn't pay $25 without some HEAVY word-of-mouth recommendation.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
This thread is a bunch of fanboy drivel.
The bottom line is people buy what they want. The majority of PS4 either did not know about or did not want this game.
Would a discount from Sony have helped? Maybe, but doubt. I think the issue is NOT that PS4 owners do not have the money, but that you are
fighting for mindshare on a Sony console do to the sheer amount of content

The issue is PS4 is not a good ecosystem for smaller indie developers.

It's not a particularly difficult concept lol. This isn't the first time we are hearing this.

It's also not a big deal, the whole point of having all these systems and ecosystems is so we can have room for a variety of games to succeed.

Oct 27, 2017
We really going with "it did well on X platform becuase thier starved for games" excuse again? Havent heard that since 2017. And it doesnt make sense for the switch either since paper mario just launched too

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
i dont know the process, is it they say this is our price and thats it, or the messed up and said no sony we want this price and didnt get a response or what.
If you think the publisher just sent a mail to whoever was his counterpart in Sony for the publishing process, and accepted the "no" face lying down, then you've never seen marketing on any company, not only videogames. The marketing team probably pushed a lot at Sony to get the launch discount, beacuse its their freaking job (and it obviously worked on the other consoles).

We may not know the process, but you don't need to have a marketing PhD to know that if the disocunt was successfully applied in two of the three stores, the problem wasn't the marketing team. Sony just doesn't give a damn anymore for indies that aren't big, like Cuphead.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
"Commenting" how PlayStation is a bad place for Indies after 3 days on the store is borderline whiny.

Firstly, how much did it sell on the Switch, specifically? For all we know it could be 50 copies. It's been only 3 days and a lot of people haven't even heard of the game.

Secondly who's publishing it? No More Robots. I haven't heard of a single game from this pub. Have they had a spot on any sizzle reel, PS blog post or on any State of Play? That's usually where Sony pushes indies. Maybe go with a different pub with a better presence on that storefront?

Again, forgoing an entire platform because the stars didn't align with your latest release seems rash and smacks of whinging.

If a game needs a sizzle reel spot, blog post or State of Play to do well on a single platform then that platform is doing something wrong. Other platforms are better at showing new games and they don't need those other outlets to push a game. The PS Store requires digging into menus to find a list of all new releases which hurts those smaller games that can't get bigger store spots.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Not sure where you're getting your info, but DMC5 (another big game) got released onto Game Pass a month after its release. The new Yakuza game will be launching directly into Game Pass also, and bigger AA and AAA launches will only get more frequent now that Game Pass has 10 million subscribers. They are going to continue investing in both third party AAA as well as first party going day and date, in addition to indies like you said :)
Gamepass on console has at least 83 ID at Xbox titles, on top of that larger games constantly move on and off of it, also they list 360 games as well. Like i said before indies will be the more perm staple with other games like that moving on and off of it.

Oct 27, 2017

Are you talking about Yakuza 7?

I thought that wasn't coming to gamepass?

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 isn't great for playing indie games. Switch is much easier to pick up and play for me, I've never got as many indie games before.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Switch is a bless fro indies.

It's really sad how sony pushed indies early this gen, but now they are even behind Xbox. I really will be sad if Cuphead doesn't sell well.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019

Honestly commenting on sales like this should be way more common. They also commented that they'd been warned about low PS4 sales from other publishers of indie games and it came to pass. Makes sense that they're considering not going down that avenue again, especially if the PS Store 'didn't have time' to apply a discount as the guy has said.

No More Robots were publishers for Hypnospace Outlaw, Descenders and Not Tonight

Nowhere Prophet received a PS Blog post (and zero coverage on Nintendo's channels)

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Wonder if the discount issue could be related to why sales on playstation store have been so bad the past 2 years? Racked up tons of interesting games that I just wait for to go on sale, but they never do.

Could the competition be a factor as well? There just seem to be not as many games to compete its on Nintendo Switch and partly Xbox 1 compared to the ps4.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I remember this one and is a curious story: released day and date with Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, after six months of exclusivity on Xbox/PC. I'm not surprised it performed so poorly.

Its success on Switch is phenomenal, however.
Of course the 5% ratio is not the normal one. If we take a big indie game like Dead Cells (which recently crossed 3m I think), launch sales were about 4:1 in favor to Switch. Still it was a huge indie release, discoverability is more of an issue with the smaller guns (that needs help from the platform holders to raise awareness).

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
We may not know the process, but you don't need to have a marketing PhD to know that if the disocunt was successfully applied in two of the three stores, the problem wasn't the marketing team. Sony just doesn't give a damn anymore for indies that aren't big, like Cuphead.
thats a bit of a stretch, what exactly do you want sony to do for every single indie? they got a PS Blog Post, they have a store section for indies. what else can they do to promote a game? hand the game in peoples hands?

Oct 26, 2017
Some of y'all really can't help yourselves

After watching the gameplay it is definitely not my thing. I don't know what the problem is, different demographic maybe? I have a ps4 and a switch. If I only had switch I may have given it a shot as I would have fuck all else to play now. Glad they sold well on switch though even if it isn't my kind of game
lol The Switch has plenty of indie games that come out weekly and, even now, plenty are buying the likes of Animal Crossing and Paper Mario. Never mind that the game also sold well on the Xbox One, not ever PS4 owner is going to get Ghost of Tsushima or The Last of Us Part 2, and most folk don't just buy a game just to have something to play

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
PSN store has poor discoverability so this checks out for smaller games.

This isn't a "switch and Xbox don't have games" thing. Paper Mario just came out and I'm pretty sure 3-5 games are added to Gamepass every two weeks.