• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Let me make it clear that I'm not saying that she's not, I'm arguing that there are more effective ways to highlight her deficiencies.

Sure, Gabbard deserves plenty of criticism for endorsing Kremlin-linked policy over the last 6 years, but my argument was that the links to "Russia!" are not "unfounded allegations,." like you wrote. They're clear and following a similar playbook to how Kremlin-backed sources and agencies supported Jill Stein in 2016, who herself has held similar positions as Gabbard.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
MOD EDIT: Don't post fake tweets as if they were real

45052346e79ba640e0282177933f4d69.jpg

BWHAHAHA it's her claming CLinton might have her killed and make it look like a suicide.

Last edited by a moderator:

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
Sure, Gabbard deserves plenty of criticism for endorsing Kremlin-linked policy over the last 6 years, but my argument was that the links to "Russia!" are not "unfounded allegations,." like you wrote. They're clear and following a similar playbook to how Kremlin-backed sources and agencies supported Jill Stein in 2016, who herself has held similar positions as Gabbard.
Fair enough, I should have said "unproven" rather than "unfounded".

Her "endorsing Kremlin-linked policy" would be on the bottom of my list of criticisms. Her support for Modi, for instance, is both well-known and unconscionable.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then if RT is simply an arm of the Russian state (I'm not arguing either way), why would they create multi-part documentaries about BLM? Is the fact that maybe they do have aligned interests (say, civil unrest), does that invalidate BLM?

My point is that it's a lot more effective to discuss the actual on-record negatives of Tulsi (of which there are legion). Talking about Tulsi in terms of being a Russian asset is speculative and circumstantial, and to more people than not, sounds crazy.
They have an interest in deliberately playing both sides of the coin- it's why they set up those fake opposing rallies. Russia's a right wing authoritarian mafia state that props up right wing governments worldwide. They're not interested in multiculturalism or fighting white supremacy.

Your point is really that you and others are still holding a grudge over anti-communist efforts and are still treating Russia as though it's a nominally communist state and not an explicitly authoritarian oligarchical mafia state. This stuff is not "crazy" to anyone who's been following international and domestic politics for the past decade.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
So is BLM, do you think that BLM is a Russian asset?

A little research before you use "they got black friends defense"

To make matters worse, state-funded Russian propaganda outlet RT (formerly Russia Today) labeled Helm's list a "manifesto" (Helm said on air that it was no such thing) and brought her on to debate structural racism with (inexplicably) a little-known comedian from Los Angeles who had previously appeared on RT to criticize animal rights protesters.

Conservative web sites picked out a partial quote from her list, ("Give up the home you own") and put it in headlines mischaracterizing it as a set of demands, like this one from Breitbart: "Black Lives Matter Activist Unveils List of Demands to White People: 'Give Up the Home You Own.'"

Helm told us she has since been inundated with death threats calling her racial epithets and that the whole thing has been "blown out of proportion."

When Helm wrote the list, she had in mind the articulation between the racial hate being expressed in Charlottesville and how it relates to institutional racism, and how that system has influenced wealth and life prospects for African-American communities in the United States. She says she was thinking about an ongoing housing crisis among Louisville residents of color, but also about how the 2008 housing crisis and displacement caused by gentrification have limited access to housing and property ownership.

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
Your point is really that you and others are still holding a grudge over anti-communist efforts and are still treating Russia as though it's a nominally communist state and not an explicitly authoritarian oligarchical mafia state. This stuff is not "crazy" to anyone who's been following international and domestic politics for the past decade.
lmao this is an incredibly projecting post, thanks for discussing in good faith!

Please feel free point to anything in my post history that would support your trenchant hypothesis.

edit: not sure why I'm compelled to pledge my loyalty, but for the record I think Putin is one of the most destructive forces in global politics today. I just don't think he's the magical all-powerful demigod that some like to think of him as
Not sure if this is disingenous or a seriously ignorant misread of my post, but I wasn't defending RT

Oct 28, 2017
I have a feeling this is about keeping Tulsi relevant by using Clinton as a foil. Republicans have been doing it for 20 years.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of legitimate reasons to disagree with Tulsi's more moderate/centrist policies but everyone still carrying the "Gay hating cult member" water is delusional and sounds like a full on Pizzagater.

She is a member of the House LGBT Equality Caucus, and gay rights group the Human Rights Campaign gave her a score of 100 for her voting record.

The "evidence" from all that I've seen is just random Mother Jones-esque articles claiming they're not convinced of her evolution and one low quality handcam video of her supposedly at a cult leaders party.

What a stupid comparison. Jesus.

Tulsi told an interviewer that her views haven't actually changed and never challenged any of the details of that interview. The Hawaii LGBT caucus dropped their support for her reelection campaign because she wouldn't actually sit down for an interview to clarify her position. Also, the Human Rights Campaign's endorsement means little when they stood by their endorsement of a blatantly racist Republican over Tammy Duckworth.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of legitimate reasons to disagree with Tulsi's more moderate/centrist policies but everyone still carrying the "Gay hating cult member" water is delusional and sounds like a full on Pizzagater.

She is a member of the House LGBT Equality Caucus, and gay rights group the Human Rights Campaign gave her a score of 100 for her voting record.

The "evidence" from all that I've seen is just random Mother Jones-esque articles claiming they're not convinced of her evolution and one low quality handcam video of her supposedly at a cult leaders party.
Wow.

So, there's video footage of her with several family members, including her husband and her father in law as well as multiple staff members from 2018 at a devotional event that features an alter with radical homophobic cult leader Chris Butler but you're going to write that off as "Pizzagate"?

Tulsi is a piece of shit and her being a member of a homophobic cult is just one piece in that puzzle. Her recent voting record doesn't change that she's a member of this cult. And that's on top of her history of homophobia and homophobic rhetoric.

Enough with this gaslighting of queer people, thanks.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lmao this is an incredibly projecting post, thanks for discussing in good faith!

Please feel free point to anything in my post history that would support your trenchant hypothesis.

Not sure if this is disingenous or a seriously ignorant misread of my post, but I wasn't defending RT
It's not "projection", it's that when you talk about Russia's actions as a "crazy theory", that reads to me as deliberately trying to downplay it in the same way people like Taibibi and Tracey will talk about a "Russiagate Hoax." I'm just generally going to give a more charitable read to it coming from someone who I don't think is a closet right winger, relative to those two.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Roundabout you are, by assiocating them with BLM(which is insulting, but I am not going get into) and using it to legimatizing them. Ignoring how they also ran stories demonizing it. If I promote fire safety one day and talk about the joys of arson the next, I might not be on the up and up.

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
It's not "projection", it's that when you talk about Russia's actions as a "crazy theory", that reads to me as deliberately trying to downplay it in the same way people like Taibibi and Tracey will talk about a "Russiagate Hoax." I'm just generally going to give a more charitable read to it coming from someone who I don't think is a closet right winger, relative to those two.
you need to put words in my mouth to make your point. I said it sounds crazy to a lot of people. I was arguing that there are more effective ways to criticize Tulsi.

If anyone wants to pretend that I'm some big Putin lover I don't really give a shit.
Roundabout you are, by assiocating them with BLM(which is insulting, but I am not going get into) and using it to legimatizing them. Ignoring how they also ran stories demonizing it. If I promote fire safety one day and talk about the joys of arson the next, I might not be on the up and up.
My point was that RT can run stories about whoever they want. I thought it was clear in my post that it didn't reflect on BLM as an organization.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The spokesperson confirming it is different than him saying it of his own volition.

But like I said, this lawsuit is ridiculous for other reasons. Mainly that you can't prove malice.
The spokesperson did not confirm it was what she said or meant to say, and in fact after the NYT corrected it, he retracted his comment. He was asked while the misquote was still being touted, and gave a reaction to it in support of Hillary. There's nothing indicating he spoke to Hillary after the initial quote when the question came up. He wasn't issuing a formal statement for Hillary at all, nor would it matter since he was wrong in his first reaction anyway and Hillary wouldn't be responsible for his reaction to the same edit that anyone on her staff was likely also sent at the moment of publication.

Oct 28, 2017

Tulsi told an interviewer that her views haven't actually changed and never challenged any of the details of that interview. The Hawaii LGBT caucus dropped their support for her reelection campaign because she wouldn't actually sit down for an interview to clarify her position. Also, the Human Rights Campaign's endorsement means little when they stood by their endorsement of a blatantly racist Republican over Tammy Duckworth.

You're probably right, I should take the concerns of a random Slate article over the largest pro-LGBTQ organization in the world.

I'm not saying the HRC is infallible but this isn't a singular endorsement, this is her grade for her entire voting record throughout her whole history in Congress.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're probably right, I should take the concerns of a random Slate article over the largest pro-LGBTQ organization in the world.

I'm not saying the HRC is infallible but this isn't a singular endorsement, this is her grade for her entire voting record throughout her whole history in Congress.
So that excuses her being an active member of a cult fronted by a radical homophobe or...?

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, the primary needed a new Galaxy brain candidate after Williamson dropped out.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
you need to put words in my mouth to make your point. I said it sounds crazy to a lot of people. I was arguing that there are more effective ways to criticize Tulsi.

If anyone wants to pretend that I'm some big Putin lover I don't really give a shit.

My point was that RT can run stories about whoever they want. I thought it was clear in my post that it didn't reflect on BLM as an organization.
The main issue was using BLM as a blundgeon.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

You're both a bit inaccurate imo. She did indeed work to "protect traditional marriage" and related legislation with her father but she also said last year she was sorry for believing things in the past that were hurtful to LGBT people.

Venomgxt

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 week): trolling, account in junior phase
Will you guys support Bernie if he has her as his VP?

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
You're both a bit inaccurate imo. She did indeed work to "protect traditional marriage" and related legislation with her father but she also said last year she was sorry for believing things in the past that were hurtful to LGBT people.

Oh well if she apologized then the fact that she went on TV here and said gay people are basically child molesters is no big deal

Will you guys support Bernie if he has her as his VP?

It's a dumb hypothetical, because Bernie is not stupid, but no, lol, Bernie should not pick a homophobic cultist as his vice president

Oct 28, 2017
So that excuses her being an active member of a cult fronted by a radical homophobe or...?

Like I said, there is literally zero reputable evidence that is true.

There is 100x more evidence that Hillary Clinton associated with and knew about the scum of the earth that she did and people are still in denial about that. I'm just looking for a consistent standard here in what we're willing to believe.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Oh well if she apologized then the fact that she went on TV here and said gay people are basically child molesters is no big deal

It's a dumb hypothetical, because Bernie is not stupid, but no, lol, Bernie should not pick a homophobic cultist as his vice president
I was just stating a fact, she did apologize. Don't snap on that alone. I don't care if people accept her apology personally. I think she's trash and doubt she changed, so I don't accept it as genuine.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Tulsi sucks and Hillary needs to go away. She had her shot and she couldn't beat fucking Trump. She shit talking Bernie again now. Please, can she just go away?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There is 100x more evidence that Hillary Clinton associated with and knew about the scum of the earth that she did and people are still in denial about that. I'm just looking for a consistent standard here in what we're willing to believe.
So video of her at a cult ceremony in 2018, interviews with people who grew up with her in that environment and have since left it, and Tulsi's own statements talking up the cult leader Chris Butler over the past decade are all "not reputable" because..... reasons? https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...-anti-lgbt-religious-leader-unearthed.142240/

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Then if RT is simply an arm of the Russian state (I'm not arguing either way), why would they create multi-part documentaries about BLM? Is the fact that maybe they do have aligned interests (say, civil unrest), does that invalidate BLM?

My point is that it's a lot more effective to discuss the actual on-record negatives of Tulsi (of which there are legion). Talking about Tulsi in terms of being a Russian asset is speculative and circumstantial, and to more people than not, sounds crazy.

It's not a question of "If," Russia Today/RT is a fully funded media arm of the Kremlin. It gets it's funding and editorial direction from the Kremlin. This isn't hidden or secretive, RT was a program of the Russian government, is funded by the Kremlin, and Putin takes credit for its creation, execution, and editorial direction.

BUt the question of why Russian trolls, Russian media networks, and more, focused on issues like Black Lives Matter in 2016 is more complex and it's a good question that seems strange on its face. The expert consensus is that it was part of a multi-pronged disinformation campaign to sew discord between Americans, discourage minorities from voting, or encourage minorities to support 3rd party candidates, to help elect Donald Trump.

Russia Today does not have aligned interests in civil unrest, they have an interest in promoting discord amongst Americans. This is part of Russia's coordinated strategy during 2016, and surely continuing into 2020, to try to disenfranchised minority voters and discourage them from going to the polls, or encourage them to vote 3rd party, as they did in 2016. In 2016, Russia ran thousands of bot accounts endorsing Jill Stein, many of them were racially motivated, but here were three good examples:

7ExXWDk.png

Woke Blacks posting about Killary, Blacktivist endorsing Jill Stein, and United Muslim America supporting boycotting the 2016 election. All three accounts were run by the Internet Research Agency, a technology wing of Russian army, with the posts written by white people in Russia. There are thousands of accounts like these, and on Facebook alone posts like these reached over 130m American citizens.

Russia didn't just stop at running their own campaigns, by and large they reached out to legitimate social justice activist accounts to help coordinate their messaging, often posing as African Americans, when in fact they were just ... white Russians and members of the FSB:

Russian FSB agents would coordinate protests between pro-gun groups on Facebook and Black Lives MAtter groups on Facebook, to recruit genuine Americans to try to get them to show up at the same day, at the same place, to protest each other. They would simultaneously plan a rally by "The South Unites: Heritage Not Hate" (a white supremacist, gun-rights facebook group) and Blacktivist (A facebook group for civil rights and Black activism).

AG5iekE.png

NYT

The efforts to manipulate Americans grew sharply in 2014 and every year after, as teams of operatives spread their work across more platforms and accounts to target larger swaths of U.S. voters by geography, political interests, race, religion and other factors. The Russians started with accounts on Twitter, then added YouTube and Instagram before bringing Facebook into the mix, the report said.

Facebook was particularly effective at targeting conservatives and African Americans, the report found. More than 99 percent of all engagement — meaning likes, shares and other reactions — came from 20 Facebook pages controlled by the IRA, including "Being Patriotic," "Heart of Texas," "Blacktivist" and "Army of Jesus."

Together, the 20 most popular pages generated 39 million likes, 31 million shares, 5.4 million reactions and 3.4 million comments.

This doesn't mean that the message of Black Lives Matter is undermined, it isn't, but that message was co-opted in 2016 by a coordinated effort by the Russian government to get Donald Trump elected president. RT does not have any aligned interest in minority rights activism, at all, it doesn't care about the plight of Black people in America or minorities anywhere else. When Russian military backed Instagram accounts posing as American muslims encouraged Muslims to boycott the election, they weren't doing so for the welfare of American muslims... This is the same military organization that staged fake muslim terrorist attacks in Moscow to justify the utter destruction of Muslims in Chechnya. They don't care about Muslims or Black Americans. Russia Today created a Black Lives Matter documentary to further the cause of White Supremacy in the United States.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017

I 100% agree with that, before her career in Congress she definitely did things I do not agree with and I'm not supporting her because I believe there are better options, partially because of that.

But she has apologized and has voted in support of LGBTQ rights perfectly the past 10 years so I don't think that the cult fearmongering is accurate or productive.

Deleted member 11046

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling this is about keeping Tulsi relevant by using Clinton as a foil. Republicans have been doing it for 20 years.
That's exactly what it is.

Whataboutism. And you're not going to get consistent responses when debating on a forum with thousands of individuals with unique opinions. But you know that.

One of my biggest annoyances with this community is how commonly posters play the victim and act as if Era is a monolith specifically when they need to make disingenuous arguments. "Why is everyone attacking Bernie?" from one person and "Why is everyone ignoring Bernie's issues?" from another a post over. And now, essentially, "why are people giving Clinton a pass?", as if she isn't the most lambasted non-GOP politician on this board. It's exhausting.

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017
The Gabbards literally don't deny that they belong to Chris Butler's cult. Tulsi has admitted it herself. This comment demonstrates that you have so little knowledge about the topic it's hard to imagine you are engaging in good faith.

He's not. He did the same routine in another thread a couple of months ago.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I 100% agree with that, before her career in Congress she definitely did things I do not agree with and I'm not supporting her because I believe there are better options, partially because of that.

But she has apologized and has voted in support of LGBTQ rights perfectly the past 10 years so I don't think that the cult fearmongering is accurate or productive.
Reporting the truth about Gabbard isn't "fearmongering." Knowing that Gabbard said one thing, presumably to make herself more palatable as a candidate, while continuing to participate in what is 100% a homophobic cult is actually very productive. It gives a very clear picture of the sort of politician she is.

Please stop minimizing and rationalizing homophobia, thank you.