• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think Resi 4 needs to be remade?

• Yes

Votes: 342 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 384 52.9%

• Total voters

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All it needs is an Onimusha level upgrade if that. Actually I'd rather Capcom just release Onimusha 2 and 3 or give Code Veronica the upgrade treatment.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
RE4 is not aging that well in the HD era. I mean that is why there is that dude nodding the hell out of all the textures.

I regret purchasing the shit ps3 hd port and will never give capcom my money. Only for an actual real remaster or better yet a remake. You die hard Re4 fans are to blame for the constant crap port they keep chugging. We need a better version as the current game is also part of it's time. Too janky to play and look at through hd monitor.

JulianV

Apr 10, 2018
I want to see RE4 and beyond removed from the canon, make a proper sequel. Story wise also Code Veronica.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
God yes, I bought RE4 on steam but couldn't make longer than 30 mins. It will happen no doubt.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I brought this up to my friends and all of them said 4 is fine and doesn't need a remake... and it makes sense. I have it on PS4 and it plays fantastic.
But. BUT. And hear me out... imagine 4 in the new engine and a bit more polish on the gameplay. Imagine new content. Imagine "that tickles" in 4K. Capcom don't need to remake 4 but if they did, I would absolutely buy it in a heartbeat. 4 introduced me to RE and it remains my favourite.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know 4 is considered sacred ground for a lot of folks, but so was 2 and that turned out great. 4 is much more modernized then 2 was already but a visual overhaul could do wonders for that game. Personally id love to see those environments in the RE engine. Maybe they could even change up some encouters to keep players on their toes

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but it would be incredibly hard to do correctly. I would just love to see them try.

I know 4 is considered sacred ground for a lot of folks, but so was 2 and that turned out great. 4 is much more modernized then 2 was already but a visual overhaul could do wonders for that game. Personally id love to see those environments in the RE engine. Maybe they could even change up some encouters to keep players on their toes

Resident Evil 2 is easy to modernize and please everyone. Some of the stuff that people love in Resident Evil 4 is going to furrow the brows of new players.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
After FFVII, I think RE4 might be the next biggest title one could remake, would be pretty much a guaranteed smash hit if it is handled well and released on even half as many platforms.

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's been rereleased to hell and it feels recent to me but it's 15 years old. By 2024, I'd say a full midgen remake would be amazing for its 20th anniversary. Just give us two control options, original and a modern one

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I think modern controls make going back to RE4 difficult so yeah I would take a remake. However it seems like it would be a much bigger project with all the content RE4 has. RE2 and 3 aren't very big games in comparison. If they do it then make it next gen exclusive.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
No, 4 is already a 3D game. The main reason for remaking the first 3 was their 240p pre-rendered nature. Now they are modernized and more easily future proof.

At most, Capcom only needs to do work akin to that HD Texture Mod for 4 (or just hire the same people).

There is absolutely zero need to make a ground-up remake of 4/5/6 (or even Code: Veronica).

Drwu

Aug 23, 2018
Honestly, I'd rather they finish up remaking the classic resident evil's (0,1 CV) before they tackle 4. Mainly because 4 is still a near perfect game. Where as there is a level of difficulty with the classic tank style controls that makes it rough for folks not used to them to get in to it. Having said that, i'd be happy if they stopped after 3 and moved on to continue the series as well. Or bring back outbreak. I loved those games but i never got to play them online

Oct 28, 2017
No. Absolutely not. RE4 cant be remade. You can remaster it, shine it up make it pretty, maybe add some new Mercenaries content. But you can't fuck with anything else. The game is so well made and so goddamn perfect in every aspect of its design. To reimagine it and rebalance it would be wrong and would result in nothing but an inferior product.

The only way it could work is if they demake it. Make it fixed camera and reimagine it in that way to make it something entirely different. Because the RE4 as is is already too good.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Yes, I never got to play it at the time and now I can't deal with the awful controls, so I'd like to experience the story with modern controls.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, us "no" people are barely ahead here, which I didn't expect. If it was wanted enough I would concede to a graphical remake at the most, but leaving everything else in tact.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
People who want Code Veronica remade seem to forget it's probably the worst mainline RE title. I also don't see the appeal as they could make more money remaking Dino Crisis or even Outbreak as a multiplayer-focused game. I'm not seeing it and it probably will never happen. They'd need to completely reinvent it, and at this point they'd rather make another game.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
its not a question of "do we want it remade" its "when is it coming" because it is coming. I can guarantee you that.

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
It'd be weird as fuck if they remade 4 leaving the gameplay totally untouched: going from 2-3 with move+shoot ability to standing-still-while-shooting 4 would be too jarring. So they'll have to AT LEAST have a major gameplay change. There you go then: rem4ke has a reason to be!

Nov 1, 2017
I don't care if Code Veronica happens first but I absolutely want to see Resident Evil 4 remade, it's one of my favorite games of all time. They can even go full horror for all I care.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
People who want Code Veronica remade seem to forget it's probably the worst mainline RE title. I also don't see the appeal as they could make more money remaking Dino Crisis or even Outbreak as a multiplayer-focused game. I'm not seeing it and it probably will never happen. They'd need to completely reinvent it, and at this point they'd rather make another game.
Man, I could not disagree more. I LOVE CV. and it was well received critically.

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think 4 is due for a full remake. The game could actually become frightening rather than just tense.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
A remake of RE4 is neither wanted nor needed. If they couldn't improve upon RE4's formula with direct sequels in the past, I have no reason to trust they will be able to do anything to make the original better beyond making it prettier. Give one to Code: Veronica so that maybe it'll actually be good this time.
CV being crap is precisely why I would be more receptive of them attempting to do what they can to make it not suck. Quite positive that there would be more money in a REmake 2/3-style reimagining of CVX than of Dino Crisis as well, and tacking REsistance onto REmake 3 instead of selling it standalone shows about how much faith they have in a new multiplayer RE.

Last edited:

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
RE4 is one of my favorites of all time, I play through it almost every year, the "don't touch it, it's perfect!" sentiment is true, but as I said in another thread, the perfect game isn't going anywhere. I would absolutely love to see RE4 reinvented with more survival horror elements, it of course would probably still be more of an action game overall in the end since the game was all about crowd control, and I doubt leaping out of 2nd story windows and suplexing plagas would find it's way in.

The RE4 gameplay loop of being overwhelmed by enemy numbers, and falling back to a more defendable position is still intense to this day, the ebb and flow of managing the threats and how to funnel them, you inject some more genuine horror into these moments in addition to the existing tension and I think you could improve the perfect game.

Last edited:

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I brought this up to my friends and all of them said 4 is fine and doesn't need a remake... and it makes sense. I have it on PS4 and it plays fantastic.
But. BUT. And hear me out... imagine 4 in the new engine and a bit more polish on the gameplay. Imagine new content. Imagine "that tickles" in 4K. Capcom don't need to remake 4 but if they did, I would absolutely buy it in a heartbeat. 4 introduced me to RE and it remains my favourite.

I'm pretty much here. RE4 was my introduction to the series and is an all-timer for me. Still plays great. Still looks solid. HOWEVER. If they wanted to remake it on the new engine, crank up the creepiness factor, polish some little niggling gameplay issues? Fuck yeah I'd be down for that. Considering how well-done the RE2 remake was, I'd be there day one.

Seeing the Village and Castle on this new engine would be a dream.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We will always have the original.

So reiterating on RE4 is fine. If the game turns out bad, just play the old one.

Don't be so negative.