• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yes or No ?

• Yes

Votes: 1,108 45.4%
  • No

Votes: 1,330 54.6%

• Total voters

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I loved Endgame, Thanos is way too bland to really be comparing to those two. He's not edgelord enough to compete.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'm honestly surprised people are saying no. What the hell does Darth Vader have that Thanos doesn't?

This website literally snapped users.

Nostalgia and this board stubbornly refuses to ever acknowledge the MCU's massive reach on Pop culture. Every poll is the same.

No matter how popular it gets it won't touch the things that were popular in the 80's...for reasons.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
I'd say so. People in the theater haaaaated Thanos during Infinity War and Endgame (in the way that people previously hated Darth Vader). People audibly panicked in the final act of Endgame because they thought Thanos was going to win again. This is despite the fact that everyone already knew about future movies after Endgame.

OP
OP
CaptainKashup

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Thanos-Time-Stone.jpg

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
No.

He is an ecoterrorist. The Power Stones are way more interesting than him, despite the great performance of the actor.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say so. People in the theater haaaaated Thanos during Infinity War and Endgame (in the way that people previously hated Darth Vader). People audibly panicked in the final act of Endgame because they thought Thanos was going to win again. This is despite the fact that everyone already knew about future movies after Endgame.
It'll be hilarious if Thanos won again.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
The MCU is a juggernaut and Thanos is a household name at this point. Of course he is.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'd day yes because he's one of the only Marvel Villains since this whole MCU thing started that feel threatening with a somewhat understandable motivation behind his madness. I also have friends way less into Superheros who also loved the portrayal of Thanos.

A lot of this endearment comes from just I finity War, but even with End Game shenanigans my impression is overall positive.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
He's the Darth Vader of this generation I would say, and he's definitely going to be big with pop culture. Practically everyone knows Thanos or at least knows of the snap

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Funny how that works, the Star Wars prequels have stood the test of time for 20 years and this board still refuses to acknowledge that an entire generation loved that aesthetic and characters.

It was only 5 years ago that this board still talked about "the stench of the prequels" making those characters doomed to failure. And now they go pikachu face on Mandalorian, Clone Wars and the Hayden Christensen anouncement getting extremely positive reactions

Era is a bubble and really doesn't understand how pop culture works.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, Thanos will be forgotten and replaced over the next 20 years of years of Marvel movies. Every few years the new Marvel villain will be "the best ever".

The MCU is the ultimate in disposable entertainment. There is no lasting quality to any of them--by design, they are consumed and forgotten.

Assuming the MCU can even maintain its dominance for that long.

Besides, the real enduring MCU villain is Loki.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Funny how that works, the Star Wars prequels have stood the test of time for 20 years and this board still refuses to acknowledge that an entire generation loved that aesthetic and characters.

It was only 5 years ago that this board still talked about "the stench of the prequels" making those characters doomed to failure. And now they go pikachu face on Mandalorian, Clone Wars and the Hayden Christensen anouncement getting extremely positive reactions

Era is a bubble and really doesn't understand how pop culture works.
It's not an era thing, it's an age thing.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely not. I can't see Thanos ever reaching that level to be honest.

Vader is pretty much the main villain of the entire Star Wars saga. He's got a prequel trilogy that's all about him and even in the sequel trilogy his shadow is felt everywhere. It also helps that he has an instantly recognizable theme song (because face it, Imperial March is basically Vader's song).

Joker is pretty much the main villain of Batman comics. While Batman has other villains, Joker is by far the one that just vibes the most with people and so far, with the exception of Leto's Joker, every film & tv version of Joker has also left a big pop cultural mark.

Thanos on the other hand is a big purple guy that featured in 2.5 Marvel movies and was then immediately defeated forever (though they will probably bring back some alternate universe Thanos at some point when they run out of ideas).

Anyway, Thanos has been the focus in less than 10% of the MCU's output (and even less if you also count the tv shows), in no way is he as iconic as Joker or Vader, whose influence can be felt throughout the entire franchise they are part of. If any MCU villain would reach Vader or Joker-levels, it's Loki, who is so popular that they even found an excuse in Endgame to revive him so they can do an entire tv show about him.

broony

Oct 27, 2017
Thanos and that series joker will be forgotten about in 10 years. Prequels and sequels same. OG darth Vader will still be referred to for a long time.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Not nearly as good as a character as either of them, but you are actually INSANE if you don't think he hasn't entered the same mainstream conversation as them right now. I STILL randomly come across people making a reference to the Thanos snap whether it's some random YT'er, foreign gameshow, or some random older folk I chat with. Will he have the same long legs to last across generations? Maybe, maybe not.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
You nailed it.

I shouldn't have focused on Era. But yes these posts are no different than my parents thinking Pokemon and Harry Potter were fads that would die out after some years
Well Era stands out way more because this is the only kind of forum or conglomerate place that has an average age of probably around 30 or so.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I guess you could say for the current movies, possilby. Vader has nostalgia on his side and Joker is milked in like every dc comic run out there so he is always top of mind.

So it'll be hard to be a part of the zeitgeist as much as those two, but I think he just misses.

ChrisBliss117

Oct 28, 2017
I'd put Vader above Thanos. Vader has been apart of several generations so of course more people are going to recognize him. I think a lot of kids/teens will always remember Thanos beating the Avengers in Infinity War so it'll just take time to see what happens in the long run.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I think hes close but it's too early to say. Joker and Darth Vader stayed relevant for so long through either reinvention or continued returning to the well. I think it depends on how future Marvel stuff goes and how they handle Thanos when they inevitably make up some excuse for him to come back.

Oct 27, 2017
Joker and Vader are in another tier. Hell, I'd even say Joker is slightly higher than Vader globally when it comes to icon status.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
What's his most memorable line? "I am inevitable?" "You should have aimed for the head?"

Nothing approaching the iconic and culture shifting memorability of Vader, Joker, Scarface etc. Especially since those characters and others have stood the test of time, whereas much of Thanos impact is in the form of memes, which are as fleeting as snap dust.

OP
OP
CaptainKashup

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
What's his most memorable line? "I am inevitable?" "You should have aimed for the head?"

Nothing approaching the iconic and culture shifting memorability of Vader, Joker, Scarface etc. Especially since those characters and others have stood the test of time, whereas much of Thanos impact is in the form of memes, which are as fleeting as snap dust.

A small price to pay for salvation.
Perfectly balanced. As all things should be.
The hardest choices require the strongest wills.
All that for a drop of blood ?
You should've gone for the head.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
If he's not even close, then who are these villains in between? I can't think of any. Thanos is in the conversation for sure.
Voldemort
Magneto (Ian McKellen)
Hannibal Lecter
Sauron/The Eye
Loki
Norman Bates
Any of the big slasher villain
Xenomorph (Alien)

I would probably put any of these above Thanos when it comes to recognisability and overall influence.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I'm still of the mind that the marvel universe is too convoluted and manufactured to create timeless films to match indiana jones and the original star wars.

The fiction is just too stupid and unbelievable. You can ask me to believe that one of these super humans exist, but that they coincidentally all share a reality is just too much. It's like if the lord of the rings and game of thrones were historical to the world of Harry Potter.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Na. Vadar and Joker are iconic. Thanos was just in a big box office movie. May as well say the Na'vi are iconic since they sold a new franchise to over 2 billion. Box office metrics aren't everything.

At this point, there is just so much shit in the MCU (and more to come) that performances or individual films have no time to sit and stew with the masses to actually get a foothold in the collective memory.