• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yes or No ?

• Yes

Votes: 1,108 45.4%
  • No

Votes: 1,330 54.6%

• Total voters

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
We're likely done with Thanos material while we're still Vader and Joker material every other year. I mean hell, Joker just had a movie that was nominated for a ton of Academy Awards. Then there is Vader who it seems is getting a lot of screen time in the Obi-Wan show.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
We would at least need a prequel trilogy to show how Thanos started as a young boy and became the purple villain who snapped the world.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
I'm 33 and definitely think he's just as iconic as Vader and Joker.

There's degrees of popularity here obviously and you aren't gonna easily top some guys but he's in their league.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
Marvel has never been about interesting villains. Sure Thanos is the best one but it's always been about the heros.

Anthanes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think he's an icon. I'm in college and literally everybody knows about him. I strongly believe that he'll get even more popular in the future, People will get nostalgic. He's a zoomer icon.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
What an interesting distinction to make.

I can't even think of any iconic Joker lines on the level of "Luke, I am your father." (Even if that isn't the actual quote

and Joker has a much richer media history going back to Cesar Romero in Batman 66
The difference with Joker is there isn't "one" Joker. He's more of a foundation of a character, the colours, laugh, archenemy status, etc, which many incarnations have tied together. From Romero to Nicholson to Hamill to Ledger and now Phoenix. Vader on the other hand is a specific character in one film series.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be honest, I couldn't take Thanos seriously. Like he didn't feel like a threat, even though logically watching those two movies he should have. Especially after everything he did. I'm thinking his character didn't resonate with me much. With that said, he's pretty iconic, but dunno if he's in their tier.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
These days, I'm not sure about that. Here in the UK, the home of Tolkien and LOTR, ask any kids, teenagers, and young adults and they're far more likely to know who Thanos, Vader and the Joker are than Sauron.
Especially given Sauron at least in the LOTR films, which most people know, is not really a character, he's more of a concept and threat. He doesn't even have any clear lines in the films, nor do they delve into any aspect of his long, long backstory. He's just "bad guy" then "bad eye". It works for the film and his eye is an iconic image but not as a character.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Thanos was already there based off of the comics alone, y'all just late.

img_7967.jpg

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The difference with Joker is there isn't "one" Joker. He's more of a foundation of a character, the colours, laugh, archenemy status, etc, which many incarnations have tied together. From Romero to Nicholson to Hamill to Ledger and now Phoenix. Vader on the other hand is a specific character in one film series.
Again, an interesting thing to consider when evaluating Thanos.. Everyone has "their Joker" or the platonic ideal of Joker or the admission that he can actually be wildly different across interpretations and still work great. But there's really only one Darth Vader, one idea of who he is and what he should be like, and even Anakin is treated as a different character.

There's now two pretty different versions of Thanos in media: the ones based on the comic concept and the MCU.

OP
OP
CaptainKashup

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Even the polls being balanced is on Thanos side, guys.
Face the truth. And for thos who denies his iconic nature ?
Well..

0ed.jpg

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I think the difference is Darth Vader and The Joker transcends their respective source material as being well known by name. People who don't watch Star Wars and Batman will know who those two are. I don't think Thanos is as widely recognizable when you move past the movies and comics. So I don't think he stands up to their level yet.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
In terms of pop-culture significance I think Vader is hard to top, but he definitely in the ball park.

He will be THE villain for an entire generation of kids.

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
Surely you're talking about Loki? He's the only other option, and really, definitionally, it's hard to call him a villain, at least in the same way you would call Thanos a villain. Thanos would never get a series, for example.

Nah, I'd say Magneto has proven he has staying power. The jury is still out on Thanos and Loki since they're more recent. I was unclear in my post though, had meant Marvel movies as a whole.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
This is ERA where nothing Marvel did compares to the stuff you the poster watched when you were 12.

But yes he is, and the generation growing on Marvel will continue to hype and meme him for a long time

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I think he's as close as anyone has got since, yeah.

Vader and Joker are, like... 1A and 1B when it comes to iconic fictional villains. They've been around for 40+ and 80+ years. Thanos isn't at their level yet, understandably.

Emmz

Oct 28, 2017
We're likely done with Thanos material while we're still Vader and Joker material every other year. I mean hell, Joker just had a movie that was nominated for a ton of Academy Awards. Then there is Vader who it seems is getting a lot of screen time in the Obi-Wan show.

Vader's story was done 40 years ago, and Disney desperately milking every last dime from his rotting corpse is more pathetic and a sad reflection on the state of the Star Wars fandom than it is an argument in his favor.

The Joker is at least being reimagined in new ways, even if they aren't always great. He's a more relatable type of villain that fits into a lot of different contexts. He's been around and popular from cheesy TV shows in the 60s, to the gothic style 80s Batman, to the animated series and Arkham games with Mark Hamill, to Heath Ledger's legendary performance, all the way through to Jared Leto and Joaquin Phoenix's latest takes. He's a character you can do a lot of interesting stuff with.

Thanos is probably closer to Vader in that his time in the sun is done, but I don't think Marvel will try to pathetically wheel him out every few years like Star Wars does. It's easy for people who grew up on Star Wars to answer Vader, but outside of the western world, Star Wars is not the property that Marvel is these days. The same is probably broadly true of the younger generation whose Star Wars exposure is the last 20 years of embarrassing shit like the prequels and pointless rehashes of older, better movies in the Disney era.

Last edited:

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Again, an interesting thing to consider when evaluating Thanos.. Everyone has "their Joker" or the platonic ideal of Joker or the admission that he can actually be wildly different across interpretations and still work great. But there's really only one Darth Vader, one idea of who he is and what he should be like, and even Anakin is treated as a different character.

There's now two pretty different versions of Thanos in media: the ones based on the comic concept and the MCU.
And let's be real, that really means there's one version of Thanos, the MCU one. The general public doesn't read comics, their familiarity comes from film and TV. It's not a coincidence the superheroes with the best known rogues galleries are the ones with the most frequent TV or film adaptations, Batman and Spider-Man, for instance. After all Thanos in the MCU is quite different from his comics counterpart and in fact very central parts of his comics character are now wholly absent from the pop cultural image of him (like the whole Death thing).

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, I think the difference is Darth Vader and The Joker transcends their respective source material as being well known by name. People who don't watch Star Wars and Batman will know who those two are. I don't think Thanos is as widely recognizable when you move past the movies and comics. So I don't think he stands up to their level yet.

A few of my kids don't care about the MCU at all but the damn sure know who Thanos is. My 12 yo daughter, no MCU or Fortnite knows who he is.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Thanos is unique among villains in that I don't think his appearance or personality is what makes him iconic, unlike Vader, Joker, Voldemort and the like. Instead, it's what he did.

As others have rightfully said, "Thanos snap" is a very understood thing. I hear non-comic book fans say it in conversation every once and a while. Hell, Eminem mentioned it in a song AND did it in a music video.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
A few of my kids don't care about the MCU at all but the damn sure know who Thanos is. My 12 yo daughter, no MCU or Fortnite knows who he is.

There are more people in the world outside of kids. Those two villains are widely recognized across all ages. I'll counter your anecdotal example with mine. My wife knows instantly who Darth Vader and The Joker are, but I'm pretty sure she would have no idea who Thanos is if I brought it up to her since she hasn't watched a lot of the Marvel movies.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
Thanos is probably better written than Vader, but Vader was lightning in a bottle in terms of cool factor. Everything just worked for him so perfectly in the OT

Too many incarnations of Joker to figure out how to compare

McNagah

Oct 25, 2017
I have to stop and wonder if Thanos at this point is more popular than Venom who I consider the most well known villain of Marvel. I'm willing to bet in 10 years from now Thanos will become more popular.

Oct 27, 2017
People overestimate this. Just because a movie makes a huge profit does not mean it will have the same kind of cultural impact of Star Wars etc.

Avatar made a lot of money can you name one character from that movie with out looking it up?

Also memes don't mean shit outside of a tiny internet bubble most of the time (and when they breach that bubble it usually not a good thing).

I'm not saying kids don't like Thanos btw.