• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yes or No ?

• Yes

Votes: 1,108 45.4%
  • No

Votes: 1,330 54.6%

• Total voters

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Personally ? I think so.
Our purple boy broke records with his two movies, with a decade of build-up beforehand.
Every single one of his lines got meme'd to hell and back and he fully settled into pop culture consciouness.
He truly is the Millennial-Zoomer Darth Vader.

media.gif

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah, even though longer-time comic fans have known about his potential as a villain for a long time (I do NOT claim to be one of these people -- I was one of the many who saw the teaser at the end of Avengers 1 and was like "who's that?"), I do think that he's definitely cemented into mainstream pop culture as of Endgame.

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, I don't think he'll get constant iterations like Joker and I don't think they'll be mining Thanos nostalgia 30+ years from now like Vader.

Oct 27, 2017
I like Thanos, but I think a bigger part of that is that after 20 films or whatever it was just nice for these films to have a decent villain. All the others are shit. He's the most overdue and welcome movie villain if nothing else.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
It's a tad unfair to list Joker who's had numerous cinematic and television incarnations going back fifty years, never mind the comics. You can be iconic without having to match the very top. I'd say he certainly is iconic already, given the size of the MCU and Avengers movies and how distinct he is. It's not like he's going to have regular new versions like Joker, this will be the first and last time many viewers see Thanos. But that's fine, plenty of iconic villains aren't recurring or reiterated.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Nah

If he appears in more movies or shows maybe but comparable to Vader and joker? Nope

Though one of the best comic/marvel villains sure

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Thanos snap will probably be a term used forever now, so while I don't know if we'll see Thanos used to market weird shit like we see Vader or Joker, I think his impact on pop culture is here to stay.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He is not even close to those two. Vader and Joker are the most iconic villains of the past 100 years.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I don't think he's there yet unless something helps to nudge him up in coming years.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thanos is closer to Davy Jones versus Darth Vader in terms of an iconic villain.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
There'll be a generation where he will be more fondly remembered than Vader.

Joker is timeless though since he's always being reinvented/recast.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
More than Vader yes, because Vader is not an interesting character anyway. I never understood the facination for this character, and i'm speaking about the original trilogy.

Regarding the Joker....come on OP, let's no go that far.

Although i do think that Thanos is one interesting villian, more interesting than expected (for Marvel movies).

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Not personally no but I'm not gonna roll my eyes at kids who grew up with the MCU movies and aim any sneering or disdain upon them if they decide he's their fave villain.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, we don't have enough of a monoculture anymore for anything to get as big as Darth Vader.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He's not literally on their tier I suppose, but yes, absolutely an iconic villain

Anyone arguing otherwise is silly

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Too soon to say. Come back in 10 years, we'll see his sticking power.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I like Thanos, but I think a bigger part of that is that after 20 films or whatever it was just nice for these films to have a decent villain. All the others are shit. He's the most overdue and welcome movie villain if nothing else.
I swear this claim just gets reset every couple of months. They've had plenty of strong villains by now, it's not 2013.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's a lot harder to dress up as Thanos on Halloween than it is with Vader or Joker, so no

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
He's a great villain but he's not legendary yet. He'd have to appear in important movies and be relevant in the next 15 years or he'll end op lex luthor tier. Well known but not goat.