• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which next-gen console design do you prefer?

• The PS5 aesthetically and practically

Votes: 657 27.6%
  • The PS5 aesthetically, the Series X practically

Votes: 321 13.5%
  • The Series X aesthetically and practically

Votes: 1,233 51.9%
  • The Series X aesthetically, the PS5 practically

Votes: 167 7.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
The worst you can say about the XSX is that it's shaped like a fridge. And I mean whatever, 90% of the appliances in your home are shaped like a fridge. I'm not bothered.

PS5 is legit ugly and impractically shaped.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm net positive on the ps5 design, but I want fewer lights on my devices so I have less light pollution in a dark room. I like that they folded function into form. I wish it was not white with black inset. Would prefer black with blue inset. in the end I'm not really into buying a plastic sculpture. I want better materials if you're going to go the art route. PS5 seems a bit over-designed but I'm saving final judgment til I see it in person.

There's nothing wrong with the XSX. It's not a great statement, but workmanlike design is ok for things like this. On balance I lean Towards thinking safer is better, so XSX wins.

It's about fitting in standard entertainment centers.

You know the Series X lays horizontally? Unless your entertainment centre has abnormally slim openings you'll be fine

Tusken77

Oct 27, 2017
England, United Kingdom
Love the curvy, noble and futuristic design of the PS5
pduawmf8.jpg

Series X, looks like a toy.
xbox-series-x-3.jpg

I agree, the PS5 is gorgeous and the XSX is incredibly ugly but it's a bit unfair to use that clean image of PS5 and horribly muddy pic of XSX.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
I think the PS5 looks cool and the Series X looks boring, BUT the shape of the SX will make it much easier to fit into places/stack/etc. Those weird PS5 curves are not optimal in that respect!

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
You know the Series X lays horizontally? Unless your entertainment centre has abnormally slim openings you'll be fine
It's not really for me, I just know that some consider XSX to be a less-standard form factor because it's taller in its smallest direction than other consoles while ps5 is closer to it's predecessors even though it's big.

Gussemke1

Apr 21, 2018
All i can see now is that, the series X, has the best design for any media setup.

I read some comments about the Ps5, "yeah, i game on the console, i aint looking at it, so the design is not as important."

I fondly remember, ppl like that, bashing Xbox One ( the Betamax Design) now Sony makes an awful design, and suddenly, people dont care about the design anymore.

What a time to be alive

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I think people are underestimating just how tall the PS5 is when horizontal. Including the stand and the "largest projection," in Sony dimension parlance, it looks like it's going to need about five inches of vertical clearance when horizontal, or only about an inch less than the Xbox. And it's dramatically larger in the other two dimensions.

It won't fit into my entertainment center, either. Neither will the Xbox, but of the two that will need less space, and be much less visually intrusive, to place vertically.
PS5 is about ~4" tall.
The stand is pretty much just to flatten out the thinnest and thickest part of the system. It's not a 1" stand + 4" system.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I mean, from a functional/practical point of view, it is hardly debatable Xbox Series X is miles ahead Playstation 5. MS has come up with a more powerful system in a more compact form factor. It is ridiculous. I´ll give Sony they have to deal with more heat given the higher clocks of their components. This has harmed their design in my opinion.

Xbox Series X visual design is nothing special, but I prefer it any day of the week to PS5´s flamboyant one. If you prefer the latter, well, I think we have two options:

A) You are a die-hard Playstation fan and turn a blind eye to it.
B) You are the kind of person who likes things that stand out, don´t age well and give to speak, not in a good way.

Last edited:

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
The PS5 aesthetically, the Series X practically for me.
This for me, at least for now, depending of how it looks on real life and its' size. Series X is too understated, would barely be a conversation starter when having family around.
As it should be. Are Blu-Ray Players, AV-Receivers or basically any established Hi-Fi elements conversation starters? No, and for good reason. PS5 looks like a cheap plastic toy. And it's going to be a giant dust magnet with its superfluous wings and notches.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Gaming companies in general, Sony in particular, tend to be shit at console design...and the PS5 may be Sony's magnum opus in that department.

It's the only console I will probably buy but that design is incredibly cumbersome and impractical and I have no desire to have that hideous fucking thing visible anywhere in my home. Frankly, It is my belief that any home that would publicly display that monstrosity should be socially pilloried for no less than 6 months and Sony, if not congress, should strongly consider a mandatory day one consumer discount, good until a redesign is released, to offset at least some of the pain and suffering the consumer will have to endure looking at that foul creation.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
596 people clowning themselves. Aesthetically, really? Come on y'all stop doing this to yourselves.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of either, but between those two i prefer the Series X design to whatever the heck Sony thought with their PS5 design.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
Sort of want a reason to buy a Series X but still don't see a reason to, design is just a box so not interesting.
As for PS5 I like the design but want to know more about the create feature and price because the launch games just about cut it for a pre order imo.

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I prefer the PS5 design, more unique and interesting.

The fact that it will be sitting in my living room alongside every other box that's black, my wife isn't too keen...

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Series X looks bland. PS5 is really really good looking. This forum has a really weird taste when it comes to aesthetics. Majority of the People on the Web including Streamers went crazy over the PS5 Design, in a positive way.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
PS5 looks awful. I was genuinely gutted when I saw it, as I'm still gonna get one for the exclusives and ecosystem. One of the ugliest consoles of all time without a doubt.

Oct 30, 2017
As I have a PC I don't have much use for the Xbox
So PS5

Especially as I can catch up on my PS4 back catalogue on it

Aesthetically both aren't much to shout about. But I prefer the 5 over just the box

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I find X really ugly, PS5 has a fantastic design to me.
But both are too huge... in the end X should fit better... but probably I wont get any because these are really too big... I will need to wait for a smaller revision... if will ever exist.... or I dont know... find a way to hide these beast somehow... :|

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
PS5 is about ~4" tall.
The stand is pretty much just to flatten out the thinnest and thickest part of the system. It's not a 1" stand + 4" system.
I'm gonna post this render I did again, approx dimensions based on usb and disc slot size counting back in the day :P
(disclaimer: the PS5 could be bigger or smaller ofc, but we have no real dimension data yet)

vywfwFk.jpg

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
It's difficult to choose; they're both poor in equal measure. The PS5 looks like the kind of PC cases I avoid and the Xbox Series X is shockingly unimaginative.

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 hands down looks like shit. But I'm buying it anyway.

Series X is sleek but also just a mini pc tower.

So: they both suck but I voted for Series X here.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
I don't like either, but the Xbox would probably be the easiest to hide away somewhere inconspicuous.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm gonna post this render I did again, approx dimensions based on usb and disc slot size counting back in the day :P
(disclaimer: the PS5 could be bigger or smaller ofc, but we have no real dimension data yet)

vywfwFk.jpg

HOLY SHIT!!! It's a monstrosity! bigger than og XBOX and PS3....No way!?

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I really dislike PS5 design, color scheme, size and it will be a nightmare to "store" it efficently in my living room.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How can we answer the "practicality" question? We still haven't gotten the PS5 dimensions. Or did i miss something?

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017

vywfwFk.jpg

I love this picture, because you've got seven game boxes and then the severed pincers of some monstrous cyber insect

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Xbox Series X is ugly. Sad how Xbox went from the OG XBOX to the 360... to this.

PS5 is sexy and looks expensive, but it'll stick out soooo bad if your furniture is not white.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Ps5 looks like what someone would think the future looked like in the 90s, Xbox is just a nice looking piece of hardware.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
PS5 would probably fit in well if my room looked like this

Napoli-3-2-black-white.png

As it stands, it's gonna stick out like a large sore thumb on my entertainment centre next to my TV.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Xbox looks like a nice modern entertainment device. Design flair is internal and getting it to that size.

The PS5 I just don't have anything nice to say so I'll just leave it.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see them both in person, and the PS5 has grown on me a little, but right now I much prefer the design of the Series X.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox Series X is ugly. Sad how Xbox went from the OG XBOX to the 360... to this.

PS5 is sexy and looks expensive, but it'll stick out soooo bad if your furniture is not white.

The OG PS3 "looked expensive" when it came out and we all know how well that design aged.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I'm legit not buying a PS5 until there's a Black version, that's how much I hate it. Series X I'm kinda indifferent, it looks fine I guess and at least it will match my A/V equipment in my TV stand.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
The Series X isn`t a beauty, but at least its` right half doesn`t look like it needs to be fixed.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Xbox Series X visual design is nothing special, but I prefer it any day of the week to PS5´s flamboyant one. If you prefer the latter, well, I think we have two options:

A) You are a die-hard Playstation fan and turn a blind eye to it.
B) You are the kind of person who likes things that stand out, don´t age well and give to speak, not in a good way.
Calm down, one is allowed to like PS5 over Series X (and vice-versa) without falling in your two derogatory categories.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I get people either liking or not liking the PS5 design. What I don't get is people saying the XSX is nice looking.

xbox-series-x-3.jpg

I don't know how you go from the sleek as hell XB1S and XB1X designs, to a rectangular slab that looks like its design was inspired by prefab modular buildings.

Kodaman

Oct 27, 2017
I dont know what the hell ps5 designers were thinking...
If by force i had to buy a product like that i'd hide it from sight

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I get people either liking or not liking the PS5 design. What I don't get is people saying the XSX is nice looking.

xbox-series-x-3.jpg

I don't know how you go from the sleek as hell XB1S and XB1X designs, to a rectangular slab that looks like its design was inspired by prefab modular buildings.
I'm not a huge fan of the XSX design but it looks 1000% better standing up.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Series X looks bland. PS5 is really really good looking. This forum has a really weird taste when it comes to aesthetics. Majority of the People on the Web including Streamers went crazy over the PS5 Design, in a positive way.
I know I get my interior design tips from people sitting in DXRacer GAMER chairs surrounded by electronics covered in RGB lights.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The futuristic PS5 design
While I enjoy minimalistic designs, the direction they went with the Xbox just looks boring. A more slate like design would have looked nicer.

Practically, the I think the Xbox cooling/fan solution is better but this is a media device and not a PC. Making the console too huge for a media cabinet is pretty bad in my opinion.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I guess the Xbox because it's smaller and simpler. I don't know what I'm going to do with that huge PS5 box.

Status
Not open for further replies.