• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Non Xbox Owners, Will You Purchase a Series S?

• For $299? Why not give it a try

Votes: 353 20.9%
  • I'm going to wait until the holiday sales and get it even cheaper

Votes: 70 4.2%
  • There is nothing Xbox can do to convince me to purchase their console

Votes: 859 51.0%
  • Gonna wait and see how Fable, Avowed, Hellblade 2, and the Initiatives games turn out

Votes: 403 23.9%

• Total voters

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I would've if it had a disc drive. The backwards compatability is the biggest draw for me, and while I've got a decent number of XBLA games on my account that would be active again, I've also got a shelf-full of 360 games and a selection of OG Xbox games that the Series S can't play. I would've picked it up on a whim to go with a PS5 (which will also be the with-drive version) at that price, but the lack of physical drive means it just doesn't fit my needs, so I'm back to potentially not going back the Xbox ecosystem for another generation.

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well now you're just throwing out hypotheticals but okay sure let's see why. First of all the poll wasn't written well. There are no options for people who would want to wait till there is a worthwhile exclusive that is also not on the PC. Secondly even if PS releases their games day one on PC, there are those who focuses on third party exclusives like me. Sure, there may be less this gen but PS will still be getting any possible JP games.

Why do people feel personally slighted at the poll results haha.
I don't get it either, same when someone says their not interested in their exclusives games, everyone has their own tastes. It is what it is.

MS i only have interest in the Forza games and Fable (i'm talking about the legacy titles) but on these that are yet to come i'm really interested in the one from Obsidian.

Sony side i only have interest in GT, Demons Souls, Bloodborne and Ghost of Tsushima.

Nintendo for some reason intrigues me the most and most certain i will go with them and perhaps a xbox s. I do have a PC, medium range, nothing too powerful.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the process of putting together a PC, so there is little reason to also get an Xbox.
Potentially backwards compatibility. Not yet clear on exactly how solid and extensive that support will be.
Oh right , the S doesn't have a disc drive, lol. Never mind.

Except for that and the 6GB less RAM potentially limiting what otherwise would've been possible, I like the S.
Really compelling price that requires little justification for a purchase. And I think it'll manage fine performance-wise.
I expect some games will scale down to 1080p, 30fps or disable raytracing. But considering the price, I think that'd be acceptable.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Yes, first Xbox owner here. It's the only console that's decently sized and decently priced. And I can use the controllers on my PC!

TojoT

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, with game pass growing on PC and all exclusive titles available there I can't see any situation where an Xbox console would make sense for me.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
The price and feature set is impressive, but given the X is so much more powerful, more future proof, has a disc drive and more (expensive to upgrade otherwise) storage, in my case the X is a better proposition when I get around to picking up an Xbox.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
I picked option 3, but that's a bit harsh. It's only because there's no "only if ms Secures a new mind blowing exclusive that I really want, but there's next to no chance of that happening." (Sheesh, halos still their flagship after so many years?)

Other than that, pc and ps5 are enough for me, anything more than that is just excessive.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
There is a big difference between purchasing older titles digitally and backwards compatibility.
If you could buy it digitally before the Series X/S came out, and that digital version works on Series X/S, how does that not make them backward compatible?

---

I'm impressed by the Series S, but with Microsoft publishing their games on PC, I just don't have a reason to pick one up. Maybe someday for backward compatibility with older exclusives.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Never change Ga...errrrr....Era. Love these polls that clearly show how many Era users are Sony loyal. It doesn't really matter as it relfects the monster marketshare that Sony really has, but it makes me think and take a beat when looking at any type of opinion threads or Xbox threads that end up mostly negative. People are biased and they can't help it....it's like a Sports rivalry.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well now you're just throwing out hypotheticals but okay sure let's see why. First of all the poll wasn't written well. There are no options for people who would want to wait till there is a worthwhile exclusive that is also not on the PC. Secondly even if PS releases their games day one on PC, there are those who focuses on third party exclusives like me. Sure, there may be less this gen but PS will still be getting any possible JP games.

Why do people feel personally slighted at the poll results haha.

I'm not personally slighted, but every time I mention this is a Sony board somebody gets upset. Either way the results are just stupid. If there clearly is nothing Microsoft could do to win some people over, then it's not about games...it's about brand and everyone's favorite plastic box. I would have thought that the right games could win anybody over, but I guess not.

And for the record, I own all three consoles and have a gaming rig. The only games I buy and play day one are on PC or Switch, so those get priority. The other two I bought on good deals, and I enjoy them when I have time. I'll probably do something similar this gen, though the One S is tempting as a do-it-all box at a low price. If Sony matches with their digital system then I might snag one for Demon's Souls. Either way I don't play just one system, and the dedicated game system I like most is Switch.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Have a PC so I don't see myself buying an XBOX, but maybe. We'll see...

That poll is pretty damning though. Especially when you consider a certain proportion of the 'buy' votes will be from people who are already XBOX owners and didn't read (or care for) the entry criteria for the poll. When making polls it's best to include an option that fits their category even if you're not interested in their data (so, in this case, you would have an option which says, 'I already own an XBOX console).

I did own an XBOX ONE X until very recently though. My PS4 Pro broke maybe 6 weeks ago and I had to trade the One X in to buy a new one. But I didn't feel like I missed out on much since I have a PC with Gamepass anyway.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
nah but i'll get a series x to complement my PC.

£250 for the Series S is a great deal. if i was getting a PS5 i'd sure throw a Series S in beside it.

There is an option missing: I have a PC and GamePass PC, so there is no point in buying an Xbox
i got a PC and still getting an xbox.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
As I have a PC any money that would go to an Xbox is better spent to go into a future PC upgrade.
A good deal for console players though

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe down the line, to benefit from GP and Xbox exclusives /if and when they'll have something compelling to my tastes).

But depends on wheter I build a gaming pc first or not, and how will their xCloud quality be.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
If you could buy it digitally before the Series X/S came out, and that digital version works on Series X/S, how does that not make them backward compatible?

---

I'm impressed by the Series S, but with Microsoft publishing their games on PC, I just don't have a reason to pick one up. Maybe someday for backward compatibility with older exclusives.

Backwards compatible is the ability to play the full breadth of a console generation in the medium it used. So this includes both physical media and digital purchases. You can't say a console is backwards compatible because it can play 5% of an older console's library. I suppose you can make the case that even if it doesn't support physical backwards compatibility if it has close to full coverage digitally it counts, but A) that's not what the Xbox Series S is offering and B) that's still a less appealing option for the people who have collections of previous Xbox titles already.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
Backwards compatible is the ability to play the full breadth of a console generation in the medium it used. So this includes both physical media and digital purchases. You can't say a console is backwards compatible because it can play 5% of an older console's library. I suppose you can make the case that even if it doesn't support physical backwards compatibility if it has close to full coverage digitally it counts, but A) that's not what the Xbox Series S is offering and B) that's still a less appealing option for the people who have collections of previous Xbox titles already.
Wait, are you saying the Series S doesn't work with (most/all) Xbox One games? Or that it works with fewer 360 games than the One? If so, I didn't realize that was the case.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Bro, I'm surprised there is nothing Xbox can do to ever convince (23) gamers to buy their console. Stop being petty guys, I'm a PlayStation guy first and foremost, but 360 was waaaaaay superior to PS3.

I'm in the wait and see boat. MS needs to deliver on the exclusives. Btw, they need to expand their marketing strategy beyond GamePass because for folks like me, that service would only cost me more money over the long-run and I'm not being fooled by it.

Avowed definitely caught my interest. There are also games in MS library that I want to play badly like Ori that would make buying a XSS as a secondary console easy.
I think that third option is very poorly phrased, as it is quite extreme and absolute. The only option that's equivalent to "wait and see, but not right now" is the last one which is way too specific. People might care about other games or true exclusives more.

However, if truly half of the people here can never, ever be convinced by MS, then that's just sad. Tribalism sucks (and isn't the average age here like mid 30s? You'd expect such petty attitudes from teenagers.)

Anyway, I'm getting a Series X but I'm totally looking forward to playing some Sony games on my friends' PS5s. Also hoping I can get some of them (who don't have gaming rigs) to opt in to Xbox via the XSS. It's a neat little machine.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I picked option 3 which is harsh as hell. At the moment there is just no games I really want that would convince me to buy it.

I'm not really interested in the choices in option 4, would have possibly been for The Initiatives Perfect Dark cept its likely a 3rd person action game which has soured me a bit.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
This seems like moving goalposts. On Xbox One today, you can play games from the 360 and OG Xbox with no problems whatsoever. The console does not offer FULL backwards compatibility, but it is certainly backwards compatible. You can either throw in your old discs or download the games digitally. I'd wager that 95% off BC games are available digitally.
Wait, are you saying the Series S doesn't work with (most/all) Xbox One games? Or that it works with fewer 360 games than the One? If so, I didn't realize that was the case.
No, that's not true at all. All Xbox One games that you can buy on the Store (which is basically all of them) can be played on both Series S and Series X. Period. In addition, all 360 games and all OG Xbox games that can be played on an Xbox One, can be played on a Series S and Series X as well. The only difference between the Series S and the Series X is the lack of a disc drive on the former. Since a few games from the BC catalog cannot be downloaded from the store, you won't be able to play those on an Series S. However, the vast majority of games in the BC program can be downloaded (at very reasonable prices if I'm not mistaken, plus there's always sales AND Game Pass), so the Series S is a very capable BC machine.

If you wanna have maximum compatibility though (including your old 360 and OG Xbox discs), then the Series X is the console for you.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
'There is nothing Xbox can do to convince me to purchase their console '

Lols, what a statement.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
I never had an Xbox and the upcoming games do nothing for me, but the price and gamepass are very tempting. I think it will be their best system overall, even though for now I don't want to buy it.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I think I need to see the actual performance of the S before I can make any informed decision. The spec differences from the X and the speculation/commentary on the assumed performance degradation have me leaning away from it. At least for my use case (BC) , the X1X I already own seems to be the best option.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
To echo many, I have a PC, I have fast internet, I do not need an xbox.

Xcloud confirmed I will never get one again.

They get me with Gamepass PC tho !

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
I have a good gaming PC and don't see the point at all with getting an Xbox Series S (or X). Especially not since the Xbox exclusives are coming to PC anyway. The only next-gen console I could see myself buying is PS5, since it has some exclusives I'm interested in. But that's gonna take some convincing too.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
Nothing I can't get on PC, it doesn't have a disk drive, and their exclusives rarely appeal to me like Sony's do, so it's unlikely.

Jagernaut

Oct 27, 2017
Over 50% will never buy an Xbox no matter what? Guess it's really not about the games.

Curious to know how many people saying they'll never touch Xbox due to their games on PC actually have viable gaming PCs. Then, how many would then go on to abandon Sony hardware if they matched Microsoft with day 1 simultaneous releases on PC.

I picked that option because it is the closest to my opinion. It's highly unlikely that I will buy an Xbox, nothing announced so far has interested me enough to buy one. There would have to be multiple games that come out of nowhere and blow me away for me to buy the system.

The only Xbox I have owned was the first Xbox and I bought it to play Sega games that were not available on Playstation, I never cared about Microsoft first party games.

I have an older PC with integrated graphics that I use for work at home, only good for indies and old games.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
As a PS4 (future PS5) and Switch owner, they can convince me, so I voted that.
But the truth is, I am expecting a HDMI stick to use Xcloud. So if I am convinced about their exclusives, I will buy that and sub when needed. I don't need a new console.