• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Non Xbox Owners, Will You Purchase a Series S?

• For $299? Why not give it a try

Votes: 353 20.9%
  • I'm going to wait until the holiday sales and get it even cheaper

Votes: 70 4.2%
  • There is nothing Xbox can do to convince me to purchase their console

Votes: 859 51.0%
  • Gonna wait and see how Fable, Avowed, Hellblade 2, and the Initiatives games turn out

Votes: 403 23.9%

• Total voters

Rigg3L

Mar 15, 2019
As mostly a PC gamer and planning on getting a PS5, I still think I might try to get a Xbox series S and game pass for my bedroom or something. The price is impressive.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Having no disc drive basically guarantees it wouldn't be my main device, so I'll probably wait and maybe get it later. PS5 this holiday and then Series S down the road some day. It will eventually be a nice game pass machine, though.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Nope. I'll get the games on PC.

Only way I might consider a Series S is if they get a Steam Remote Play app on it. Might get one for the living room then.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if it had a disk drive it would make a good console for its ability to play old console games but i'm not messing with digital. although i don't play enough to justify 2 consoles so i should just stick to the ps5. although who knows i might end up impulse buying it one day.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
These poll results show how big of a mountain MS is facing in gaining market share lol.
Over half are no never.
Quarter more are maybe someday!

I won't get an S but I will buy an X for 3rd party goodness and higher specs

GonXtreme

Dec 13, 2017
Moscow
No interesting exclusives, and if there are... I'll play them on PC, if any, because current gen PC/Xbox exclusives were subpar. PS5 and Switch are enough for me. Actually, PS5 only is ok.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I've said it a lot in other threads but yes I'm gonna grab that first and even on launch day. I typically don't trust hardware in the first 6 months for fear for a red ring situation but for $300 I'm willing to take the risk. GamePass, low price, and back-compat for that low is too damn good to pass up. I'll get a PS5 eventually but it'll probably only be used for the exclusives.

jrb

Nov 9, 2017
What do you mean by less value?
For $200 more, 3 times the power, double SSD capacity, physical games + physical BC with Series X.

And with Sony, more power, bigger and better SSD, physical option, way better controller and PS exclusives for probably $100-$200 more.

And that without even talking about PC.

For something that's gonna be part of my life for at least 7 years I'm not gonna buy the cheapest option, I'm gonna go with options that provides me the bigger value for such a long period of time.

Feb 23, 2019
I'm in the "Maybe" camp. But not because of the cheaper Series S. It has more to do with games. If Microsoft delivers killer apps in the coming years I will get a Series X. I have no intention of upgrading a PC or playing games on a PC, and much prefer console gaming in general.

Right now though I don't really see much reason for me to own one personally, but I certainly want to with time.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They have both gamepass and their first party titles in pc. I don't have a reason I can remotely think of to get their console.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're on a gamer enthusiast forum and 51% of respondents said that there is nothing Xbox could do to make them buy their console. I'm going to guess a lot of folks have PCs maybe.

Birbo

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be all over an S Series if it had a disc drive. As it stands, I'm still considering it as I have like another 2+ years of Game Pass paid off.

How many of you PC folks have your PC connected to your television? Or are you fine just playing at a desk? I want the flexibility and cross platform buying is a bonus.

If I didn't work at my PC all day I'd probably say no as well.

My gaming PC is hooked up to my TV, but Game Pass on PC is ass to me compared to the console version.

Inti

Nov 20, 2017
We're on a gamer enthusiast forum and 51% of respondents said that there is nothing Xbox could do to make them buy their console. I'm going to guess a lot of folks have PCs maybe.

I would think that's the reason. I mean, we are gamers, we love games, seeing 51% of people voted for "There is nothing Xbox can do to convince me to purchase their console" kinda shocks me. Sure, you might not be interested in the console now, but saying that you absolutely see no way you might choose to play Xbox, no matter what, the only way I see it is that you have a PC and have no need for it. It's still an odd statement to make from a gaming enthusiast, but, it's in the poll, it is what it is.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I can't see myself spending $300 on this to be honest. It very much feels more like a buy it in 3-5 years for under $200 if I haven't gotten a Series X by then.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
The poll results are something. Is the Xbox hate due to the company? Like do people find Microsoft itself horrible or is it something else? I can understand the wait and see approach, but saying you'll never ever even consider buying an Xbox even if it has awesome games is a weird stance unless you are a PC first gamer.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I want one, but I'm having trouble justifying the purchase since I already have a pretty beefy gaming PC.

I guess I'm on the fence.

OP
OP
TaterTots

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
The poll results are something. Is the Xbox hate due to the company? Like do people find Microsoft itself horrible or is it something else? I can understand the wait and see approach, but saying you'll never ever even consider buying an Xbox even if it has awesome games is a weird stance unless you are a PC first gamer.

I think its more like the posts above yours. However, closing the book no matter what was not the poll lead I expected.

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
The main issue is I already have a PC so buying their console is pointless now that Microsoft is streamlining their stuff over to PC as well. I'll still get Xbox games on windows or steam of course

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
For the first time in my life I'm interested in buying an Xbox console. A series S is a serious consideration for me.

BIG-JG

Oct 27, 2017
If it had had a disk drive I probably would have. I realize why they won't, but that's where I'm at.
Not being a jerk, but why is a disk drive so important? For some art work in a plastic box? Computers don't really have them anymore, cars definitely don't so what is the big deal for console's? I don't get it.

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I do miss Halo in my life, but I've been extremely happy with my PS4. Xbox lost me last generation and I don't need 2 consoles so the series s doesn't really do anything for me.

also, as someone that is fairly looped in on gaming news the naming of these consoles is really confusing. I wouldn't win a lightning round to tell you which of their recent consoles are from which generation

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Not being a jerk, but why is a disk drive so important? For some art work in a plastic box? Computers don't really have them anymore, cars definitely don't so what is the big deal for console's? I don't get it.

Selling games, finding old games that are no longer available digitally, trying out games I don't know about buying, alleviating bandwidth caps a little.

The only reason I've been able to play a number of games I enjoy is because of disks or random steam keys.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
That price and that console design are very, VERY enticing. To say nothing about the all-time best backwards compatibility system.

Tiny Hawk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There's a lot of check marks that XBOX is hitting for me - a very reasonable price (for the Series S edition anyways), Game Pass Ultimate, and backwards compatibility with 3 generations of games.

However, the games they have are going to be available on PC and PlayStation just has more exclusives that I'm looking forward to. If I didn't commit to the PS4 so hard, I'd definitely consider switching.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Not really sure. To be honest, come next year. I may potentially be in the market for a cheap 4k media player

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Probably just going to get the games on PC. The only one I'm super interested in is Avowed, and like Hell I'm buying a game being billed as a "Skyrim Killer" on a non-PC platform.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I picked the fourth option because it was the closest.
Honestly there is no Microsoft IP that would make me buy an xbox at this stage.
I have a modestly specced gaming laptop but I'd honestly pick to not be able to play any of the games over paying for one of their consoles atm.

My wife and I have fond memories of Fable, but not $300/$500 fond.

Alex2DX

Nov 6, 2017
Its the first time ive ever thought maybe id get an Xbox down the the line if theres enough games I want. Thats a great price. Problem is I feel like I dont have enough time to play all the games I wamt on one console let alone two.

It's not a definite no. Always been curious to see what the Halo story is all about.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
nope

I'm not interested in gamepass (which I could do on my pc anyway, if I wanted to) and they've done a terrible job historically with putting out high-quality exclusive content that makes me think I need their console. some of this is because the genres of games I enjoy are more traditionally found on sony/nintendo systems (or pc), some of this is just because of like... how the last generation went. like, I really don't give a shit how nice their console is, or how cheap it is. if it doesn't have games I want to play, there's no point in me owning it. until they have those games (and I mean "the games are literally out", not "we put the word 'fable' on the screen"), I'm not even close to interested.

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
As the owner of a good gaming PC, I see absolutely no reason to buy an Xbox.

Really good deal if you aren't a PC gamer though.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Need an option for: "If they come out with a game I want to play that's not also on PS4 or PC, then maybe"

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
as a PC owner, I just don't see the value even in the S for me. I have GamPass on PC and have access to most that interest me.

But I can definitely see the value for those that aren't primarily PC users.

DeSolos

Nov 14, 2017
I might be interested in a Series X in the future, or more than likely, a mid gen refresh version. in about 4-5 years. PS5 purchase will probably come first.

For now I have a Xbox One X, and that's going to do me just fine for a while it seems.

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a $5/month game pass subscription on my 8 year old PC rocking a 580 (not a PC fanatic by any means). Series S seems to offer me very little compared to a PS5, having almost no exclusive games I'm not sure why I would bother.

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Awhile back I created a thread similar to this and a lot of folks were saying they don't have enough details...

This was a bad thing to put out knowing most of those people are really just like, "No."

Even with the details out in the open the fact is that they're essentially making a play for people that mostly already don't have Xbox Ones to play mostly current generation games and low volume sellers without any real groundbreaking next-gen IP when after spending a couple hundred bucks on a new console.

A lot of people will eventually realize that they can pay significantly less buying a used Xbox, since those prices are going to be ground into dust if they really just want the Xbox style Gamepass/couch console experience without the exclusive IP on other platforms, but that's a very specific and small group of people.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Unless the ps5 ends up being surprisingly inexpensive, I'll probably go from my ps4 to an xss + gamepass until the ps5 drops in price and builds up a great library in a couple of years.

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't vote since no option fits me that well. I was considering an S, but it depends completely on the PS5 price because no matter what I'm getting a PS5. If the PS5 isn't too high, I could dip on an S also....then I remembered no disc drive on the S. So, that turns it into an immediate no.

A lot of people will eventually realize that they can pay significantly less buying a used Xbox, since those prices are going to be ground into dust if they really just want the Xbox style Gamepass/couch console experience without the exclusive IP on other platforms, but that's a very specific and small group of people.
This is where I'm at. I'd like an Xbox just for me and my son to screw around with using Game Pass, so I'll probably just be keeping an eye out for the older Xbox One X and such to see if anyone is selling cheap. I have no need to get the newer console generation.