• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where should Assassin's Creed go next?

• Japan

Votes: 524 46.8%
  • Australia

Votes: 38 3.4%
  • Mexico

Votes: 130 11.6%
  • Africa

Votes: 78 7.0%
  • Brazil

Votes: 41 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 106 9.5%
  • Ancient China

Votes: 203 18.1%

• Total voters

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
Anything except Japan for me. I'd prefer Mesoamerica though.

Japan just seems like the most boring option you could possibly have, and I worry about the imagination of everyone suggesting it.

Oct 27, 2017
Ancient China, India and the Russian Revolution as teased in those Chronicles games would be dope as hell.

Japan in the admittedly typical Sengoku era.

That WW2 tease in Unity was full of potential too.

Anything except Japan for me. I'd prefer Mesoamerica though.

Japan just seems like the most boring option you could possibly have, and I worry about the imagination of everyone suggesting it.

It's more because the AC team has an amazing eye for detail, both historical and assumed. Egypt was so well realized that seeing Japan would be incredible.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
China, Tibet, Mongolia. Some sort of plot that incorporates all three regions. Then they can lean in on the Shaolin monk, superhuman kung fu master stuff.

And then maybe we can get back to some empty hand based melee.

Oct 27, 2017
Civil Rights Era/Jim Crow America would be the perfect for the Assassins/templars concept and you have plenty of historical figureheads to play around with like MLK.Jr and JFK.etc

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I'm pretty lucky because my top three have all been done now.....Victorian London,Egypt and now Vikings.
I think India would make for an incredible setting too,and I would have said Japan but Ghost of Tsushima is a thing now so that will take care of that for me.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
India during the Anglo-Maratha wars

Central America during the Aztec Empire

The Russian Revolution

Spain during the Napoleonic Wars

Last edited:

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Other: Medieval Scotland. I just think the country is so pretty. I guess there might not be a lot of tall buildings, but I'm sure there'd be some. Like there seems to be some cathedrals, at least. There has to be castles too.

Maybe have a run-in with William Wallace...

wars

Apr 26, 2020
Lisbon,Portugal
Although I'd love the ideia of an AC set in Japan , the idea would be overshadowed by Sekiro which was released early last year , Nioh 2 early this year and Ghost of Tsushima who we hopefully see launching in July , so I like the idea of the game exploring not so obvious cultures.

Last edited:

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Imperial. Rome.

ancient-rome-scale-model-plastico-di-roma-imperiale-fb2-png__700.jpg
No. I am fucking tired of controlling white people in AC.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really want to see Japan. Ninjas are not exactly underrepresented in video games. Also like half of the video game industry is in Japan and they already do a pretty great job of representing their own culture.

Anyway, I'm still mad that the Assassination of Caesar was like a coda that they tacked on to origins instead of doing a Rome game.

No. I am fucking tired of controlling white people in AC.

Who says you would have to play as a white person?

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
While I love feudal Japan and think it would make for a cool AC setting, I'd rather they go somewhere uncommonly covered in games and media in general. So Mesoamerica; Mayans, Incans, Aztecs or something like ancient Mesopotamia, Ur, Babylon, etc or like Achaemenid Persia, or India or SE Asia, either ancient empires like Maurya Empire and Khmer Empire or during 19th century colonial periods. Boxer rebellion would also make for a good setting, though China isn't exactly uncommon in media in general and they did have an AC game set there already, albeit a side game. Africa as well is in need of some better representation, with stuff like the Songhai and Mali Empires or like southern Mediterranean Moorish states and conflicts within the Mediterranean, but that's probably a bit too familiar with the series roots and overall Euro-centric nature.

Last edited:

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland
I was going to suggest one of the Scottish Wars of Independence. First war has Wallace and Robert the Bruce, so there would be some familiarity there for foreigners. Second war would also be good, it's less well known but you could have some cool Auld Alliance stuff in there. Jacobite Rebellion would also be rad though. So long as I get to gank some English, I'm in.
As you say Wallace and Bruce are well known internationally, either that or Jacobite period I would be happy with.

You may need to shank some Scots to though, plenty of them fought for the British against the Jacobites.

I would love a Scotland based game, where you play as a highlander in a clan fighting off the british, culminating in the tragic Battle of Culloden.
That was my suggestion as well. Helping Bonnie Prince Charlie gain Jacobites to the cause could work well.

The game could go past Culloden, where Jacobites were hunted and many left for US etc.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really want to see Japan. Ninjas are not exactly underrepresented in video games. Also like half of the video game industry is in Japan and they already do a pretty great job of representing their own culture.

Anyway, I'm still mad that the Assassination of Caesar was like a coda that they tacked on to origins instead of doing a Rome game.

Who says you would have to play as a white person?
Because of the dozen or so AC games we have had, only 2 had POC lead.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
At this point I want a Japan-themed AC just so people can stop clamouring in these threads with cries for a Japan-themed AC.

Then we can finally get the India-themed AC, all according to keikaku.

Seriously though, it would be great to have an 'Asian' trilogy, similar to how Origins, Odyssey, Valhalla make for a 'Classical Europe + Egypt' trilogy of sorts. I'd envision the Asian trilogy to be something like 17th century China (Qing Dynasty), 18th century India (Maratha Empire + Rising colonisation), and 19th century Japan (Meiji Restoration).

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I still want Japan but I have liked every setting the series has used so far to some extent or another so I trust what ever they try next will be interesting.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Pre-colonial Africa and South America. Russia in sometime in the 1800s. China during the Three Kingdoms time period. Height of the Roman Empire, with the map covering Italy and Germany. Also obligatory Japan during the Sengoku period.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Because of the dozen or so AC games we have had, only 2 had POC lead.
I'd say 4 not including the Chronicle games. AC1, AC3, AC Lousiana, AC Origins. Up to you if you include Odyssey in that.
Kind of like how Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla seem to be a trilogy - Id like to see a triology like this:

3. Assassins Creed: Axis

My personal favourite that I'd like to see. WW2 but as a spy in occupied territorities (Paris, Berlin as the two big cities with other cities, towns and countrsides across France, Poland, Germany as main areas, with a tiny bit of Russia).You would help the french resistence, help people escape camps and prisoner transit trains in the countryside while focusing on espionage and high profile assassinations in Paris and Berlin. Nazi Berlin at the high of the reich would be crazy with next grn graphics.

This trilogy would be the closest we'd get to modern day without being in modern day and would act as a link between the historical narrative and modern one. We could see a young Obstergo research facility in Berlin for example.
Think it would be crazy to play as a German working with that dude from Valkyrie. Also being a German it would allow you to visit quite a few destinations up till the end of the war.

Last edited:

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
This is a pet peeve of mine...but Africa is not a monolith. Each region North, West, South, Central and East is distinct in terms of culture. Why are all the other choices not continents?

I'm really mad at the OP, but this is something I consistently see everywhere.

I'd kill for a Nilotic or Mexican Assassin's Creed though.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Ancient Mexico or India.

Or Cybertron. Stick with me, like an alien race trying to bring down Megatron uprising or bring down the Autobots..

Last edited:

RockAction

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure AC is the place for it but a game set in mythical/ancient Ireland based off of The Tain / Ulster Cycle would be neat

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
I think India or Persia would be interesting. Neither are particularly well-explored settings in video games.

Totally agree. I do however think Japan could be pulled off if they specifically avoided the stereotypical ninjas-and-samurai feudal setting everyone's asking for. A game set in late 19th or early 20th century Japan could actually be fresh and interesting, plus it fits the profile for an Assassins Creed setting since the Empire of Japan was an actual influential world power unlike feudal Japan was.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
AC India (a proper version) or Persia for fucking once. AC has some serious diversity in its casting of protags already. Gimme something wonderful!

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Mesoamerica needs to be their first next gen AC. I'll cream. Either that or Feudal Japan but I'd prefer Mesoamerica.

mrmojo228

Dec 3, 2018
I know there are other games in feudal Japan but not really in this genre that I know of. Especially within the last 10 years. I'd like both that and feudal England/Scotland crusade period. I know we had Victorian London in Syndicate but medieval times England would be fun.

Edit: Mesoamerica would be cool too.