• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What you gonna do?

• I will get the PS4 version

Votes: 398 40.9%
  • I will get the PS5 version

Votes: 336 34.6%
  • I will get both

Votes: 238 24.5%

• Total voters

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 could not play PS3 games. So a remaster made sense. PS5 will play PS4 games just fine. Are we really signing up to rebuy games on PS5 than can easily be patched? If you want to charge for the UHD patch fine but there is no way we should be supporting $60 remaster of 6 month old games.

If it adds enough improvements and multiplayer I could see it being worth it.

Especially if you didn't own a PS4.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
QuickVibrantBichonfrise-size_restricted.gif

Sams88

Oct 9, 2019
This Christmas is my cut-off point for purchasing new current-gen games. I'll make do with deep discounts and PS+ freebies.

I always have the upmost confidence in the technical quality of Sony 1st Party games. But the extra juice of PS5 can't do any harm. As for 3rd Party stuff like Cyberpunk and Final Fantasy 7R - I expect the worst.

All will play, look & run better on PS5.

corn_fest

Oct 27, 2017
I might sell off my PS4 and wait it out at this point tbh. Got other consoles to use and it doesn't look like there's anything else that excites me coming out anytime soon.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not a developer, so pardon my ignorance: Is it possible that a patch could make a PS5 version of TLoU2 utilize ray-tracing and other things that the PS4 isn't capable of? Or does that require significantly more work?

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
I'd prefer playing it on PS5 since I don't even have a PS4 Pro, but I'm not going to wait around lol

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I think the better question to ask is, "Will you play it on the PS4 or wait until the launch of the PS5."

I can't imagine Sony selling a separate SKU; if they were really desperate for money then they would sell a Performance Patch DLC but I can't imagine the bad PR worth whatever money it would generate.

And this goes for all PS4 games releasing next year (FF VII: R, Nioh 2, etc).

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
I think PS5 will likely just get an enhancement patch, so I may as well just get it at launch and replay it on PS5.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
What PS5 version? The PS4 version will be the PS5 version. I don't think you're getting some upgraded thing beyond some update patch. I'll wait for the PS5 to play it since I doubt, like PS4, there will be much at launch anyway.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why people are so sure there will be a PS5 version.

Because it'll sell.

Pretty sure the PS4 version will able to take advantage of some stuff like the SSD. We already saw Spider-Man doing that during their demo.

Again, a remaster for a game that can already be played on that system from Day One is going to make people angry.

I'm sure it will, but they won't be forced to buy it.

Oct 25, 2017
They're still working on the assumption that PS5 can't play PS4 games and or that people want to rebuy a game on PS5 that they can already play on PS5.
I'm not a developer but it seems to me that adding a PS5 exclusive enhancement patch (unlock the framerate, higher quality textures) would be a cheaper way to 1) give TLOU2 longer legs and 2) to make the PS5 launch window more appealing than completely repackaging the game as a "remaster."

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a developer but it seems to me that adding a PS5 exclusive enhancement patch (unlock the framerate, higher quality textures) would be a cheaper way to 1) give TLOU2 longer legs and 2) to make the PS5 launch window more appealing than completely repackaging the game as a "remaster."

You would be right.

It would also be a selling point for the PS5 to tout how the big last-year PS4 games will get patches to look better at launch.

OP
OP

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the better question to ask is, "Will you play it on the PS4 or wait until the launch of the PS5."

I can't imagine Sony selling a separate SKU; if they were really desperate for money then they would sell a Performance Patch DLC but I can't imagine the bad PR worth whatever money it would generate.

And this goes for all PS4 games releasing next year (FF VII: R, Nioh 2, etc).
i guess you are right it covers the ps5 patch idea

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
There won't be a ps5 version because the ps4 one will be compatible. There will probably be a patch or something. Maybe even that's a bit of a reason to delay it, so it works day one. Maybe.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
I am not powerfull enough to wait, will buy the disk for ps4, play the game, sell it and buy digitally for ps5.

Oct 25, 2017
Because it'll sell.

I'm sure it will, but they won't be forced to buy it.
Selling remasters will undermine the value created by BC. It's an empirical question as to which provides Sony more value amd I don't have an answer to that, of course. But it seems like it would help the PS5 launch to say "hey look at this stuff you can already play and it's even better now!"

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This hasn't changed my plans at all. It's a fairly minor delay. I'm sure it's frustrating for the development team, and I wish them well with finishing the game up.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Probably. I will be waiting for a complete FF7 package before buying, and that was higher on the priority list--I can wait for this without being spoiled.

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
I voted PS5 because that is the system I'll be playing it on, but I sincerely hope they don't immediately start re-releasing games as PS5 enhanced, there should be free patches.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
TLoU1 on PS3 vs PS4 had such minimal differences that no way was the 1 year wait worth it.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Almost definitely still the PS4 version. I'm leaning toward not early adopting PS5 if the exclusives are all or mostly cross gen.

The older I get the less I care about graphics and performance, I'm in no hurry to upgrade from my 1080p TV so that lessens some of the next gen bump etc.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
I will get the PS4 version and probably love it and then if a PS5 version comes with an extra boost of performance and graphics will get that too.