• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What you gonna do?

• I will get the PS4 version

Votes: 398 40.9%
  • I will get the PS5 version

Votes: 336 34.6%
  • I will get both

Votes: 238 24.5%

• Total voters

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I will double dip on TLoU Part II, GoT, DS, etc.

Separate SKU will happen. They will be physically & digitally released for PS5, and those will only work on PS5, not PS4 or Pro. They will be coded specifically for the PS5's Zen 2 CPU, GPU hardware. Thus, PS4 SKU and PS5 SKU (as per usual with a new generation).

So if you have the PS4 version of TLoU II/GoT/Death Stranding or any 3rd party game, etc, you will of course be able to play them via BC on PS5. But you won't get a free patch for a "PS5 enhanced".l version. PS5 isn't a mid-gen upgrade console like Pro or X1X. Sony at least, will treat them like they did at the end of last gen and early in the current gen with PS3 and then PS4 versions.

Just because this time, current and next gen PS4/PS5 both use x86 CPU architecture, does not mean Sony will treat its games like PC games.

Remember, Sony/Mark Cerny said all along that they believe in CLEAR generations, not blurring that line.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
"PS5 version"

We're getting a day one enhancement patch and then probably a GOTY release 12 months later, alongside the online MP. It will also be impossible to avoid spoilers of a game like this for months. No point in waiting to be spoiled.

Oct 27, 2017
but even if its just a patch to 2160p native and 60 fps, its already a very nice upgrade
Meh. That's nice and you should wait if you want but I have no idea what will happen, what I will be playing, between 5/29/20 and PS5 launch in November, if a TLOU2 patch even comes at launch. They may not do anything for it at all, or at best add what you said.

but for all I know when any TLOU2 upgrade comes to PS5 I could either be caught up playing something I can't foresee now (like a big game that takes up my time), I could be dead, I could be tight on money, or worse, the game could be spoiled for me lol

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
There should be a poll option for "there wont be a PS5 version, so no need to wait"

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I will double dip on TLoU Part II, GoT, DS, etc.

Separate SKU will happen. They will be physically & digitally released for PS5, and those will only work on PS5, not PS4 or Pro. They will be coded specifically for the PS5's Zen 2 CPU, GPU hardware. Thus, PS4 SKU and PS5 SKU (as per usual with a new generation).

So if you have the PS4 version of TLoU II/GoT/Death Stranding or any 3rd party game, etc, you will of course be able to play them via BC on PS5. But you won't get a free patch for a "PS5 enhanced".l version. PS5 isn't a mid-gen upgrade console like Pro or X1X. Sony at least, will treat them like they did at the end of last gen and early in the current gen with PS3 and then PS4 versions.

Just because this time, current and next gen PS4/PS5 both use x86 CPU architecture, does not mean Sony will treat its games like PC games.

Remember, Sony/Mark Cerny said all along that they believe in CLEAR generations, not blurring that line.
That does not preclude them from issuing a patch for their premier system-seller title. I have no doubt a standalone PS5 version will be released at some point, but the lines WILL be blurrier next gen compared to the transition from Gen 7 to Gen 8.

I ALSO think we'll see paid "enhanced updates" more than we see remasters next gen. Mostly from 3rd parties though.

Broadbandit

Oct 29, 2017
Really doubt that there will be a ps4 and ps5 sku.

If anything the box art will change saying "Exclusive to PS4, PS5" with BC there is literally 0 reason to spend extra money on a second sku. They could already have code in the game to take advantage of better hardware when played on ps5.

PS3 games were a different story since there was literally 0 BC for cell.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
For sure, I'm not in a rush at all especially considering by the time it's out I'll still be probably going through Cyberpunk.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
That does not preclude them from issuing a patch for their premier system-seller title. I have no doubt a standalone PS5 version will be released at some point, but the lines WILL be blurrier next gen compared to the transition from Gen 7 to Gen 8.

I ALSO think we'll see paid "enhanced updates" more than we see remasters next gen. Mostly from 3rd parties though.

Nah, free patches only just like Pro, no remasters. Too much confusion and no need to spend crazy resources upgrading a PS4 game for PS5 when they can just patch it to crank it up to 4K60 and call it a day.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
As much as I Love The Last Of Us, I'm forever attracted to the concept of better performance and graphics. Knowing it will definitely be enhanced with features only a measly 7 months later in November 2020, makes the wait easier.

I'll watch Reviews and the meltdowns on Era as it becomes one of the highest rated entries of all time. But It's gonna be PS5 for me.

There will probably just be a ps5 patch.
I am 98% Sure there will be an improved Boost Mode for PS4 games on PS5 that offsets the need for a downloadable patch.

Boost Mode worked really well for PS4 Pro. I'm confident Sony will re-introduce it on some form enhanced with some extras (Raytracing, super HDR, etc) for PS5's backwards compatibility feature.

Last edited:

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
There are too many people assuming that, if there is a PS5 version, it'll be a launch game late next year. Surely that's not going to happen?

TLOU PS4 launched a year after the PS3 version and I don't see why this will be any different. So it would have been Feb 2021 and now probably May 2021.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Tsushima and tlou2 are the only reasons I still have my ps4 pro, then I find out today that they are pushed back. I might consider waiting, it'll give me a reason to get a ps5

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't going to get it day 1 because of the MP situation.

So yeah, PS5 version for me with all the extra bells and whistles.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whichever version comes first. The words "Wait For" and "The Last Of Us Part 2" look like complete and utter gibberish to me when combined in the same sentence.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll just buy physical on PS4 and sell it when I'm done. Can pick up ps5 version at some point.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
There won't be a PS5 version
Exactly.

Because you will only have to put your PS4 disk in your PS5 to play it.

SmugSpecificAtlanticspadefish-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
Now that PS4 BC is confirmed, it would be incredibly shitty of Sony if a supposed "PS5 version" doesn't turn out being just a free downloadable update.

I mean, they could as well repackage the game with PS5 branding later, no big deal. As long as all PS4 digital and physical copies become updatable free of charge.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
Not getting a PS5 day one so no but who knows when this mess will release. The way things are going over there with one delay after the next first of all I'll wait for reviews and impressions not clouded by hype, then decide it it's worth it at all.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland

I agree with all of that.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Delay is disappointing, but early next year we'll know how good next-gen games will looks like and i'll be hyped to experience TLoU Part II for first time on brand new hardware.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
the game was delayed 2 months?!?!?1 that's it, might as well just buy it til december!!!!
/s

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
This is a game I can't wait. I will buy it on PS4, but I won't buy again for PS5.
It is either BC or deep, deep sale years from launch.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Will play it on the pro, then BC on the 5 and again as a remaster on the 5

Late Flag

alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I probably wasn't buying this on day one anyway -- no big hurry if there's no MP. Would make a good PS5 launch title though.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
PS5 was always my plan unless I was able to get it for like $25, I will gladly pay $60 for the ps5 version though. It's just so close. My ps4 pro is going for sale right after death stranding. Xbox one x going for sale right after Cyberpunk.