• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Was Obi-Wan Kenobi worth it?

• It was amazing!

Votes: 326 25.7%
  • Meh, it was just okay

Votes: 702 55.4%
  • It was pure Bantha poodoo đź’©

Votes: 305 24.1%

• Total voters

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Some good, some bad. I wish it was better. Its one of the very, very, very few instances I think where a 2 hour movie would have worked a lot better, cut out the characters that added nothing to the story and keep it lean.

As it stands I think someone could do a cut of Revenge of the Sith + Obi-Wan + end of Rogue One (I like R1 to be clear and still would watch it standalone) and make a more interesting story than ROTS/Obi-Wan by themselves.

You can clearly see in the bones of the story how it started off as a 2 hour movie about Obi-Wan, Tatooine, and young Luke (no Inquisitors, Leia, Path, etc) and morphed into a bunch of poorly written stuff plus a cool Obi-Wan/Vader final fight. Honestly given the behind the scenes of "they started filming, stopped, rewrote the scripts, then kept going" its amazing its coherent at all.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Despite some of my issues with it, I enjoyed it a lot. Episode 5+6 was some of the best Star Wars I've seen in awhile on screen. Probably would have been better as a movie than a series.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Despite some of my issues with it, I enjoyed it a lot. Episode 5+6 was some of the best Star Wars I've seen in awhile on screen. Probably would have been better as a movie than a series.

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
I wish there was a 4th option. I didn't love it, but it was definitely better than just 'okay'. The last couple of episodes saved it from that fate. I find it difficult giving shows a lower rating when they finish strong like that.

Oct 28, 2017
Episodes 1,5, and 6 were worth it. 2-4 were straight trash.

There was enough here to rework and make an amazing 2.5hr movie with a proper budget and some real set pieces.

They really stuck the landing though with Episode 6 so that puts me in the worth it category.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
The last episode saved it from trashdom. It's insane how much better the last episode is from the rest of the show. Like a completely different production.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Meh is a good word for it. Vader vs Reva was cool because it showed that Vader had such a mastery of the force that the lightsaber wasn't actually needed. It was what Yoda vs Dooku should have been in episode 2.

Vader vs Obi-Wan reminded me of Goku vs Majin Vegeta. Just straight up action figures smacking one another. It is literally what Luke makes fun of Rey for wanting in The Last Jedi. Felt like the kind of fan service that JJ would have cooked up.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
No. It added nothing of interest while removing a ton of weight from the Original Trilogy. Which is true for literally every single Star Wars product since Return of The Jedi, aside from The Last Jedi. None of the people currently associated with Star Wars understand what made it originally work, but I guess it's what the Wookiepedia loving fandom wants: just gotta fill every gap, no matter what garbage we use in those spaces.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
From a direction and writing view it was pretty bad. But I'm also incredibly bored of revisiting the same characters and setting over and over again so that probably didn't help.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
for the Vader x Kenobi reunion, definitely!

The show was definitely a 7 was me partially due to how weak the rest of the cast was especially Reva. Tala was the only character I actually felt for on an emotional level only for her to well...do what she did. I'd definitely like to see Reva explored more intricately hopefully in a series but I'll take a novelization if plans for a Season 2 doesn't come to fruition.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
It was fine, I would've made some different choices with the direction though. The other obi-vader fight(s?) than the last one felt superflous for one thing.

CardsFall

Jul 31, 2021
Not a good show. Can't imagine how the biggest entertainment company in the world made something that amateurish. Felt like they convinced Ewan McGregor to do a high school play based on fan fiction.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vader vs Obi-Wan reminded me of Goku vs Majin Vegeta. Just straight up action figures smacking one another. It is literally what Luke makes fun of Rey for wanting in The Last Jedi. Felt like the kind of fan service that JJ would have cooked up.

Lol that's exactly what I thought when Obi-Wan lifted those rocks. I still loved the fight though and it made sense how that's something Obi-Wan does but Luke wouldn't.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I want to like it a lot.

First and last episodes were solid. Everything in between felt like pure fluff following the Star Wars story-telling playbook, step-by-step. Some great parts wedged inbetween a lot of uninteresting activity; nothing smart, nothing clever, occasionally something pretty cool. In the end, it was mostly forgettable for someone like me who enjoys Star Wars, but has fallen out of love with it.

Schwarzbier

Nov 14, 2017
New Jersey
Worth watching? For me, yes. I enjoyed it well enough, poor production and all.

Worth making? Disney could take a shit, put it on film, and call it the Phantom Turd and it would make money.

Sayuz

Apr 29, 2019
It's got good individual moments and ideas, but those are surrounded by so much stuff that feels mediocre, if not flat out contradictory and bad. It doesn't help that the show has legitimate technical issues too, from the way it looks coming across as very cheap at times, to the overuse of shaky cam.

It wasn't a complete waste like Book of Boba Fett ended up being, but I wouldn't call it good, either.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's got good individual moments and ideas, but those are surrounded by so much stuff that feels mediocre, if not flat out contradictory and bad. It doesn't help that the show has legitimate technical issues too, from the way it looks coming across as very cheap at times, to the overuse of shaky cam.

It wasn't a complete waste like Book of Boba Fett ended up being, but I wouldn't call it good, either.

I think the shaky cam was a deliberate choice, not quite a technical issue

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
It was so middling that it could have been a Netflix show.
96407-l.webp

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I think the stuff with Anakin and Obi-wan was good. I think the IDEA of a kid Leia and a vengeful padiwan were also good. I just don't think they were particularly executed well here. So more positive than negative, but closer to meh than Mandalorian.

Sayuz

Apr 29, 2019
I think the shaky cam was a deliberate choice, not quite a technical issue

I meant it more like it was an issue I had with the show that was on the technical side of things, and not as a result of the writing or directing. I'm sure it was deliberate (though, perhaps some scenes couldn't be done without it, or at least, not within their budget), but I found it to be a bit much, especially by the end.

Hattoto

Jun 26, 2020
I was really happy to see more performances from prequel-era actors, especially in the last episode. So it was worth it for me.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The Obi-Wan/ Vader stuff was really good. Everything else was really bad.

This could have been an amazing movie.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Needed more time in the writing room and a much bigger budget. Going from this to Stranger Things season 4 was like night and day, from the story to dialogue to production, cinematography, etc. Obi-Wan just feels cheap in comparison. This epic reunion deserved to be better.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I wouldn't say the dust has settled yet.

But it was crap. Best part of it was ripped wholesale from Rebels.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
It connected Anakin and Vader in a way no other piece of media has. To the point I can see some OT Vader scenes in a new light.

It's just goddamn.....why couldn't they give this the premium movie treatment, goddamn....

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
My daughter (14) said her favorite part was the Obi vs Vader fight going "full anime" in the last episode.

That comment gave me a laugh. I see it. I enjoyed watching it with her.

Here's the entire SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER battle from the last episode with the cuts taken out. Only thing I don't like is they left the moment where they speak at the end out and the part where Obi gains the strength to escape the rubble.

Last edited:

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
It was fine. Too many good scenes that end up getting diminished by a dumb thing happening immediately after. Like the Reva vs Vader fight was great, but then he stupidly leaves her alive because ????? Same with the final Obi-Wan vs Vader fight. The scene where Vader's mask was broken and his voice was wavering between Anakin and Vader was really impactful, but Obi-Wan just leaving him there alive didn't feel earned.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the entire SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER battle from the last episode with the cuts taken out. Only thing I don't like is they left the moment where they speak at the end out and the part where Obi gains the strength to escape the rubble.

I love how intensely Vader screams at the 0:16 and 3:54 marks. You can tell that's not the Darth Vader of the OT here. It's really just Anakin trapped in a broken body and prison outfit.

Oct 25, 2017
It connected Anakin and Vader in a way no other piece of media has. To the point I can see some OT Vader scenes in a new light.

It's just goddamn.....why couldn't they give this the premium movie treatment, goddamn....

I feel like this is a case of Disney simply not having a well-oriented plan for Star Wars. It came in hot, and they immediately moved to capitalize on it -- the result(s) made them realize that they were moving too quickly and they ended up scaling back this movie to (what would become) a series. Anyone who has seen the series, now, can tell that it should have been a movie to begin with, much more than the Solo film which, ironically, probably should have been a series.

Sucks. I hope Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen get to play more in the universe despite the mistakes here; it wasn't perfect performances, but they elevated the material together.

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
It was mostly crap from top to bottom with some cool vader fan service scenes thrown in.
Stretching a 2 hr film to 5-6 hrs is always a horrible idea.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Initially thought the finale was okay but since then, more I think about it more I dislike the show.

Think this show will age like milk for a lot of people. The directing was sub par and the writing was bordering on fan fiction dreck. Seeing shows like The Boys or even Stranger Things not only utilize their budgets much better on-screen but they also showcase a level of passion from top to bottom that puts Obi-Wan to shame.

I would've rather they didn't bother if this was the end product.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
There wasn't enough story to make a six episode series. A two hour movie would've been a much better experience. For me personally the show had maybe 25 minutes of worthwhile content, and that's being generous. I have no interest in a follow up to it. Had a couple of good moments but I feel like even those were taken from other pre-existing Star Wars properties.

I'm glad that a lot of people seem to enjoy it though, clearly hit some of the right buttons for people.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
The story redeemed itself in the last two episodes but it kinda felt pointless overall, and the sfx were embarrassing through most of it. I love Ewan though and it was awesome to see my fave character in the franchise again.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Worth it? Sure why not. It's not my money being invested into the show. And I would rather have it than not I guess.