• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
For me, the easy choice is Deep Down

It was the first game I saw from the PS4 that truly screamed "Next Gen" in terms of graphics.... apparently too next gen since rumor has it that there were problems with the engine running the game, which is believable considering how amazing it looked for the time (Even now it could pass as a PS5 game). It's been nearly 8 years now though, so even though it's not official, it's basically all but cancelled at this point. Such a shame considering how much potential it had, though I still hold out small hope it could re-materialize on PS5, which is more than powerful enough to make those graphics a practical reality.

What games interested you, but disappointingly all but disappeared this generation?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Scale bound came to mind immediately.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
So I was thinking about it the other day, and I'm kinda bummed SE pulled out of the Hideo Baba led Project Prelude Rune:

Baba was kind of slowly strangling Tales with some of his decisions and fucked with Zestiria a lot in particular, but he is still the guy responsible for Tales of Destiny remake and I wanted SE to have another potential JRPG pillar.

Also obviously Silent Hills.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Feel like we've been having cancellation threads a lot recently. Anyway, I really wanted Lily Bergamo to see the light of day. Scalebound as well.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Deep Down, the thread, indeed.

Was definitely the most interesting, exciting, most next gen looking thing at the PS4 reveal. We were strung along for years and then it just turned out to be nothing, vapourware. So disappointed. That demo was insane!

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Silent Hills is the obvious mention, and it really did hurt that it was shelved after how good P.T. was. But the one that I have to mention is...

lillybergamo-3aakox.gif

All it got was a teaser trailer, but man, that footage definitely left an impression on me. However vague it was, I really liked what I saw of the game.

"But we got Lily Bergamo. It's called Lie it Die!"

Fuck off.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Silent Hills for sure

Don't get me wrong I'm all in if it means them being built on new hardware, but that it's been 8 years and 10 years respectively since we've got a new mainline Grand Theft Auto and ElderScrolls is pretty damn depressing

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
lillybergamo-3aakox.gif

All it got was a teaser trailer, but man, that footage definitely left an impression on me. However vague it was, I really liked what I saw of the game.

Fuck off.
This one.
I really loved the colors. Let it Die just doesn't have the same level of inspiration.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Silent Hills is the obvious mention, and it really did hurt that it was shelved after how good P.T. was. But the one that I have to mention is...

lillybergamo-3aakox.gif

Fuck off.
Definitely this, as well as the usual suspects.

It feels like not as many games were canceled last generation compared to the PS3/360/Wii generation, which was a slaughterhouse of cancellations of games that sounded and looking incredible.

Jan 4, 2018
It was not cancelled as it was just a failed pitch but I regret it didn't materialize. Hope it will happen at some point (8 years happened between HW1 and HW2 so I should be patient I guess)

www.eurogamer.net

Halo Wars 3 concept art reveals failed pitch

Concept art for Halo Wars 3 has been released, revealing cancelled pitch material.Brad Wright, a senior concept artist …

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi

lillybergamo-3aakox.gif

Fuck off.
This one for sure

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The second half of Deus Ex Mankind Divided, I'll never forgive the bastards that didn't buy it 😔

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I think the OP's post and the second post nails it.

Deep Down and Scalebound.

Deep Down was not going to happen. There was no way in hell it was running on a PS4 system and we all knew it.

Scalebound, I have no idea why MSFT canned it. Those are the types of games needed to branch out. They were stuck in their Gears, Halo, Forza cycle.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The version of Granblue Fantasy Re: Link that Platinum was developing. Though my second and third place answers are the more standard ones of Scalebound and whatever Retro was doing before being put on Metroid Prime 4.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill and Deep Down.

Deep Down especially. It was shown off publicly a few times and seemed to live up to what the trailers were promising:

The dragon shows up at the 12:00 mark.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars 1313 probably

also absolutely mind blown we went a whole gen without a new Bioshock

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Silent Hills is the obvious answer for me.

Scalebound never looked that great, honestly, but it is disappointing that we lost out on a new Kamiya game. It's also disappointing that we missed out on a Retro Studios game, whatever they were working on between Tropical Freeze and Metroid Prime 4.

Also the Final Fantasy XV that was shown at E3 2013.

The game that the Firewatch people were gonna make before Valve bought them.
In the Valley of Gods. Yeah, this too.

EDIT: Also, "Shangheist", the Black Tusk (Coalition) game they teased before being turned into the new Gears of War factory.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
That stealth /spy game The Coalition was doing when they were known as Black Tusk
Scalebound

Microsoft literally would have had my money if those two games were realities last gen

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Tbh a lot of the games I can think of kinda looked like janky shit from the outset. Stuff like scalebound, wild or deepdown

I guess the one that felt like it had the most potential though was silent hills...the people involved in that would have made something amazing.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
GTA 6. A whole generation(and a long one) without a new GTA kinda stings.
I guess Elder scrolls is the same but I don't care about that series as much.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Scalebound. I liked the promise of it, but it unfortunately ended up looking pretty awful when it was last shown. Killing the project was probably the right decision, but I did think it originally looked like it would be pretty cool.