• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which was the prettiest one?

• Original DS

Votes: 23 2.5%
  • DS Lite

Votes: 381 41.7%
  • DSi / DSi XL

Votes: 178 19.5%
  • 3DS / 3DS XL

Votes: 48 5.3%
  • 2DS

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • New 3DS / New 3DS XL

Votes: 217 23.8%
  • New 2Ds XL

Votes: 61 6.7%

• Total voters

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
DS Lite is the only winner, that device was too sleek. 2nd place is New 3ds, closely followed by DSi.

May 24, 2019
Yellow DSiXL
bxVB6mV.jpg

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Original DS, 100%.

Though honestly I wish they'd stuck with the prototype design, that thing was beautiful:
02_1089672206.jpg
OriginalDS2.jpg

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
DS lite, new 3ds and new 2ds XL are all beautiful.

OG DS and OG 3ds are just bad now.

Whats amazing is the form factor is essentially a game & watch

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
DS Lite all the way. The light blue one is the best-looking piece of gaming hardware I have ever bought:

7P7jmB9cUMvVPycrFmlvfWG0SyjP4_Zbdu4EsYUwY9Y0TAmuvwBAwk_BKaud6IIBbg6ncJVCX8WPx_47ULXzMIBjABbFEoJgc1xN1HaDN8g
Lovely colour!

DS Lite gets my vote too. Just a great size and a nice form with no weird unnecessary bits.

The regular sized New 3DS is also nice. The XL models are just too bulky to me, even though I have a 3DS XL, I like the bigger screen, but it looks more toy-like to me.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
The DS Lite was magnificent, the only problem were the hinges cracking and breaking. Don't know if they ever fixed that on that DS iteration.

joora

Oct 21, 2019
This is the best looking one (got to take a better photo one day though):

snakey3ds.jpg

But, out of standard variants, new 3ds (not XL) gets my vote primarily because they can look beautiful with the certain cover plate combinations.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer - Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
The Wine Red DSi XL was gorgeous.
Runner up would easily be the white n3DS for its changeable faceplates and the classic button colours.

Clear loser would be the 2DS because its fucking awful. The XLs look so much better.

Elija2

Oct 26, 2017
It always bothered me a bit that the sides on the 3DS models were never totally flush when closed (I guess because of the 3D slider placement). They fixed that on the New 2DS but I don't like the protruding hinge on it so my pick is the DS Lite or DSi, leaning more towards the DSi because of the matte surface.

Nov 1, 2017
I wish I got one of the non XL models of the 3DS. I don't mind how 3DS games look on the larger screen but I've been working through my DS collection and some of those don't scale up so well. The DS Lite is probably my favorite model of the family though, and I don't care what people say I love the squishy buttons.

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
I like the bigger screens of the XL devices and they do fit in my hands nicely, but the smaller ones are way more eye pleasing. Once a device that is intended for a pocket reaches a certain size it starts to look comical and all of the XLs suffer from that. They tend to look a little less like toys than their XL counterparts.

As for narrowing down the rest of the field, I think the DSi is out because the edges are a little too sharp and the camera looks ridiculous on the non-black models. The original 3DS is also out for me because of the oddly chamfered edges which the external cameras sit on, which breaks up the whole design. The New 3DS is close to the best, with nicely rounded edges and the heavier rounding on the (front?) corners is just the right amount. It's let down by the seam where it opens (not the hinge). It looks really silly since it's rounded over. The way the DS Lite closes and makes a continuous edge along the sides looks awesome. For that reason, the DS Lite is #1 to me.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
You know what I'm surprised with? The fact that way more people voted the "new" 3ds, than the original one.

The very first 3DS looked the most premium and elegant, with every successive iteration looking more toy-like.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
DS Lite is still a gorgeous system and I still use it for playing certain titles like the DS Dragon Quest games and Chrono Trigger DS.

I'll never forget when I got my Lite and NSMB in spring 2006, it was such a beautiful upgrade and made the Phat look like a completely shoddy and unappealing joke.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They're all charming in their own way. How dare you make me choose okay it's the DS Lite

Last edited:

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Regular DSi. DSi XL is slighly too heavy, but it probably comes in second.

Third, I'd probably say New 3DS (despite the annoying hinge), though admittedly I've never owned a 2DS XL.

Is the DS Lite winning just because that's what most people owned? It feels flimsy and the plastic looks cheap compared to the DSi.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
While the DS Lite is indeed fantastic, DSi is an even sleeker iteration of that design. And since we're talking strictly about looks and not functionality (RIP GBA slot), DSi is hands-down the winner IMO.

That said, the various 3DS models were all pretty solid too.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
It's clearly the DS Lite.

I remember watching this YouTube review 13(!!!) years ago and marvelling at how much an improvement it was over the OG.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
DS Lite was perfection. Could have been beaten by New 3DS reg if the screen scratching had been properly addressed and closing it resulted in a sealed clamshell like the Lite