• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which was the prettiest one?

• Original DS

Votes: 23 2.5%
  • DS Lite

Votes: 381 41.7%
  • DSi / DSi XL

Votes: 178 19.5%
  • 3DS / 3DS XL

Votes: 48 5.3%
  • 2DS

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • New 3DS / New 3DS XL

Votes: 217 23.8%
  • New 2Ds XL

Votes: 61 6.7%

• Total voters

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
With a lifespan of 14 years, the Switch finally took over the DS line last year. While the systems are not officially discontinued, there certainly won't be a new model announced short of a Wii Mini kind of deal so we already know how every single console in this line looks like. Which one's your favorite looks-wise?

Keep in mind stuff like Gameboy BC doesn't matter, as this is all about the look of the console. Unless you aesthetically like how the consoles look with 2 slots, I can't blame you if that's the case.

My top 3 would probably be:

1) DSi XL

main.jpeg

This console is the definition of elegance. I've had two of them (one black and the other one blue, like the picture) and they're both fantastic looking with a very clean, non-busy design, an incredibly fast UI, amazing screens (the pixels add to the charm)... it's just fantastic. The back is a fingerprint magnet sadly but it still looks great the first time you take it out of the box.

2) New 3DS XL

045496781514_optimizadas_2.jpg

This was quite clearly a followup to the DSI XL. Like holy shit, this console is so goddamn gorgeous, only reason why it's not over the DSI for me it's because the buttons are all kinda cramped together, I preferred how the Start and Select buttons were positioned on the regular 3DS and it probably would've been better here. The power button is also a bit awkwardly placed. Also this looks amazing:

new-nintendo-3ds-xl-snes-D_NQ_NP_706535-MLU28569980149_112018-F.jpg

3) 2DS

2DS-Pokemon-1-1.jpg

Admittedly I only like the transparent versions (the regular ones aren't ugly, just clearly cheap), but man do these look amazing. Design-wise it loses a lot by not being foldable imo, but transparent consoles will never not be cool to me.

What about you? Which one's the best looking DS console?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The White DS Lite. Probably my favourite looking game system tbh. DS to DS Lite was the biggest glow up we've seen in video games.

4413229515_8cb0cd87ed_b.jpg

dsl.jpg

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I voted New 3DS, but it's frustrating that you include XL with it, since they look so different. I find the XL ugly but the regular New 3DS great (not to mention the face plates).

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the DSi. Just a nice, plain and simple design. New 3DS is decent, but ruined by the ugly gaps when it's closed.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DSi XL gets my vote. It's also the best way to play DS games thanks to it being the only model with a IPS display.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I voted New 3DS, but it's frustrating that you include XL with it, since they look so different. I find the XL ugly but the regular New 3DS great (not to mention the face plates).
I didn't want to include them together, but there simply wasn't enough space on the poll.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Lite all the way. Loved it's form factor and it was really easy to throw in any pocket of mine.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The N3DS needs to be broken out from the N3DS XL. The former looked amazing, the latter looked terrible.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The regular sized DSi is my favorite looking console ever. Sadly my R and L buttons broke early on but I keep it only because it looks so nice.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Best looking maybe DS Lite. But looks + comfort I'd say 2DS XL

140949-games-review-review-nintendo-2ds-xl-preview-image1-fvrcggcje7.jpg

Tho I own a DS Lite and only played with a 2DS XL short term at the store, so maybe I'm wrong.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow surprised at the love for DS Lite. I had both a DS Lite and a DSi and I absolutely thought the DSi was the much better looking handheld.

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
DS Lite. It looked gorgeous, seemed good quality and was such an evolution from normal DS.
I remember upgrading to a White glossy DS Lite from a Blue DS... The design was insane. You had the feeling of owning some higher end thing from Nintendo.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Best looking maybe DS Lite. But looks + comfort I'd say 2DS XL

140949-games-review-review-nintendo-2ds-xl-preview-image1-fvrcggcje7.jpg

Tho I own a DS Lite and only played with a 2DS XL short term at the store, so maybe I'm wrong.
My biggest issue with the 2DS XL is the position of the speakers. Them not being on the top just doesn't look good on a foldable DS.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I just don't understand why people here just outright hate the 3DS line since the Switch was, well, pretty much announced really.

"Oh it should've been on Switch not 3DS"
"Would've bought if it wasn't on 3DS"
And now "Finally Dead" as if thankful for it.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
New 3DS, but specifically not the XL:

BimRM5B.jpg

ZfvMGit.jpg

The swappable faceplates and coloured buttons cinch it for me.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I just don't understand why people here just outright hate the 3DS line since the Switch was, well, pretty much announced really.

"Oh it should've been on Switch not 3DS"
"Would've bought if it wasn't on 3DS"
And now "Finally Dead" as if thankful for it.
This is literally a thread appreciating how they look but you do you

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The DS Lite or the DSi XL, easily.

Standard DSi is just a slightly uglier DS Lite and every 3DS iteration is fairly ugly in some way.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Whichever ones had a usable screen. Had OG DS and got my wife the OG 3DS. Both never got used beyond a couple hours due to that screen, 3DS especially.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2DS is the best form-factor-wise.

The clamshell design is just trash in general and should not have left the conceptualization stage.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A tie between DSLite and DSi.

But I like the matte outside of the DSi more a bit than the kinda glossy DS Lite shell.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
The New 2DS XL looks like shit but I really want to buy one. I had a DS and a 3DS but I feel like I never really experienced the library to its fullest.

I had a DSi and thought it was pretty damn slick.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Easily the DS Lite for me. That thing was just perfection. I felt so fucking cool every time I held it.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like the white+orange 2DS XL. It has a retro look to it, like the original Famicom, except if you replaced the red color with the orange color.

Oct 29, 2017
DS Lite looks like a bar of soap.

411ne2zSRhL._SX466_.jpg

The winner is the DSiXL (specifically the Burgundy Red colour)

Runner up is the New2DS and the DSi. After that, it's the New3DS (not XL)