• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Was it ever an issue before? XBL integration is handled by the game and XBL API, Steam is irrelevant there.

Microsoft created a Steamworks <-> XBL API that was beta tested in Rise of Nations' UWP release and subsequently implemented into the Steam release of Killer Instinct, but all other Steam releases of WinStore games use Steamworks. MCC will be the first game with some level of XBL integration (probably Uplayesque).

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
When Microsoft announced their games last E3 they said "xbox one and windows 10". so who knows. Windows 10 could be any digital store.

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the announcement of DX12 being enable for Win7 with World of Warcraft yesterday paired with MCC on Steam I could see MS offering a Gamepass sub within Steam thus MS entire first party output being playable there. Remember that 70% of a lot is greater than 100% of a little (revenue split). MS now being a service company that offers its Office products on Android, IOS and Mac has definitely set the precedent.
This shift has made me much more engaged with Microsoft products now you see.

sprinkles

Oct 25, 2017
It's possible if the MCC sells well..

xPPvCMf.jpg

(which goes on and on) ... so very much possible.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I can see MS ditching the whole "Windows Store only" approach altogether now that they got XBL integration working on Steam, and use game pass and play anywhere to encourage Windows Store version adoption instead.

This is what I expect the situation to be. You can buy the games on Steam for full price (I don't expect these games to commonly go on sale), or you can go to Microsoft and get a Gamepass sub. For the record, this would be a perfect example of stores competing with their features.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I could just as easily see it going either way. On one hand, this is a legacy title and they've been doing Steam releases for most of their "previously released" games. On the other hand, it's going to sell boat loads and as Xbox turns to be more service and software based... I don't see why not. Keep Play Anywhere and Game Pass as incentives for the Win10 store but put your software for sale independently on Steam and either way these games are going to reach a substantially larger audience than if they were locked to just the Xbox hardware.

So I really don't know. Will this include Halo Infinite? Gears 5? They won't be able to ignore the positive feedback they're getting from this.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
This is what I expect the situation to be. You can buy the games on Steam for full price (I don't expect these games to commonly go on sale), or you can go to Microsoft and get a Gamepass sub. For the record, this would be a perfect example of stores competing with their features.

Agreed. That would a great solution for everyone. The more choice the better!

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
This is in no way the same situation as Epic, Halo MCC is an older title getting a full introduction to PC gamers with the ability to also play on Steam. Epic is using new third party titles to get people to their store. People would not be nearly as upset if it were Epic games. This is a smart move to do two things. One is to show better commitment to the PC platfrom from Microsoft and two is use something like Halo Infinite to get more of those who will enjoy Halo MCC to the Windows Store.

The only way people are going to see if Windows Store is better is to actually use it and by the time Halo Infinite is out I imagine it will be much better than it is. Of course I can see the eyerolls now after all the years of broken promises but it's not impossible this new renewed interest and the way they are handling Halo MCC will get to that place.

The post I was quoting was talking about this being a move to convince people to hop on the Win 10 store with Halo acting as the trojan horse. I did not say this(MS releasing Halo MCC on Steam) was the same as Epic's method of money hatting.

I was saying if they put MCC on Steam now and then pull back and only release the next Halo game on PC exclusive for Win 10 store without improving the store first it will be the same as Epic money hatting games without improving their store as they know most people would not come to them if a game was offered on both places.

Of course, as I said, MS is more than justified to do that as it is their game after all but it will be such a weird move. Putting one game on Steam and then not putting the next game is bound to annoy and confuse most people about how they are approaching this whole thing. Nothing on the level of Epic but still not an ideal situation.

I was thinking also this sets a good precedent for future Obsidian games if they are ok with selected first party titles coming to Steam. Hopefully MS will allow them to release their next Xbox exclusive on Steam as well.

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they seemingly more than ever with gaming truly want to expand their user base so this is a good step in that direction even if things like revenue sharing isn't as ideal it's probably better than how winstore is performing atm. Although as other have said this has been done before and the games being released are old so until we have new releases their plan isn't clear but Phil has proven to me that as head of Xbox is words and actions are more aligned.
They releasing a new store halo is their biggest franchise ..they want their store to work
But I'm happy that also steam only players (for how crazy this sound and mean!!!) Can enjoy the titles
Why is it crazy? A big reason people value steam release is because that typically means large availability across different stores so people benefit from flexibility in choosing the store of their choice but also still get to utilise the many features steam provides as a game launcher.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meh. Halo is their only IP I've ever enjoyed so I care not. But I'm sure they'd enjoy the much larger revenue stream and exposure. Two stores > one store, every day.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The post I was quoting was talking about this being a move to convince people to hop on the Win 10 store with Halo acting as the trojan horse. I did not say this(MS releasing Halo MCC on Steam) was the same as Epic's method of money hatting.

I was saying if they put MCC on Steam now and then pull back and only release the next Halo game on PC exclusive for Win 10 store without improving the store first it will be the same as Epic money hatting games without improving their store as they know most people would not come to them if a game was offered on both places.

Of course, as I said, MS is more than justified to do that as it is their game after all but it will be such a weird move. Putting one game on Steam and then not putting the next game is bound to annoy and confuse most people about how they are approaching this whole thing. Nothing on the level of Epic but still not an ideal situation.

I was thinking also this sets a good precedent for future Obsidian games if they are ok with selected first party titles coming to Steam. Hopefully MS will allow them to release their next Xbox exclusive on Steam as well.

Again I see a stark contrast between Halo being on Windows only and what Epic is doing. It's no different than Sony putting Playstation Now on the PC but hoarding it's own new titles for the PS4. Why have Microsoft Store if nobody ever plans on using it or do we just want Steam to be the only real option? We went from Microsoft might change the landscape by convincing third party to follow their strict guidelines to they should put all of their games on PC, even new 1st party, or it will annoy PC gamers.

That would be a good option too. Game Pass is obviously the way forward for Microsoft.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Probably. I think the the MCC will push millions of units on Steam, so it'll likely be a good showing for the in regards to wanting to push out to the platform. Sure, they have their own distribution method, but they also, as they have shown here, see the value in the platform that Valve has created already.

Dellstrami

Feb 1, 2018
I think so. Once everyone and their grandmother buys Halo on PC I think the money rolling in will be a strong incentive.

I also agree there's no going back from here with Infinite on Steam. This will really help Halo's diminished image and making it Windows Store exclusive would be a great way to destroy that. Hopefully we're right, I'm such a Halo fanboy I'd probably buy the next gen Xbox for Infinite... Hopefully I won't have to

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Will we see game series like Forza and Gears on Steam? Do you think this will apply to new games only or will they start delivering their back catalog as well?
Why not?

They've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. More people buying the games since there are those still not wanting to give up Windows 7/8. More people who are willing to buy games on Steam vs the Windows Store. And MS is still making money off of the games. It's a win/win.

It's also not the first game to make the jump to Steam, one that was published by Microsoft. And we also have Killer Instinct on Windows Store/Steam, with cross-play.

Interesting times we live in.

OP
OP
mrglcs

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Holy shit, I just realized we'd still get Obsidian games on Steam! "The Outer Worlds 2, coming to Steam in 2022".. fuck yes!

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Why not?

They've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. More people buying the games since there are those still not wanting to give up Windows 7/8. More people who are willing to buy games on Steam vs the Windows Store. And MS is still making money off of the games. It's a win/win.

It's also not the first game to make the jump to Steam, one that was published by Microsoft. And we also have Killer Instinct on Windows Store/Steam, with cross-play.

Interesting times we live in.

Windows 7 is nearing end of life tho. I can imagine Satya Nadella saying they shouldn't support Windows 7.

But with Edge and DIrectX12 on Windows 7 I'm not so sure anymore too. We are living in a strange world.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Is there an official announcement for Halo MCC on Steam?

It's incredible news, I fully expected MCC to be a Windows Store only release.

membran

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why not. MS seems to have worked out with Valve on how they will sell UWP/XBL enabled games on Steam. So yeah, more games will definitely come to Steam.
Having said that, I don't see much point in getting Steam version as opposed to MS Store, as you are still buying the same UWP version and you still need XBL app and services running on your PC.

May I ask where you are getting this from? I assumed that the Steam version would be Win32, not UWP.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe.. I don't really believe Microsoft would put their game on Steam just because it's the "right thing to do" or they want to sell more copies of their games. It's possible this gets people excited for Halo again and then Infinite is exclusive to their store. Unless all they care about is Xbox Live MAU and then yes everything would appear on Steam. It's hard to say because we don't know what their strategy is at the moment.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
It's what I was wondering regarding Age of Empires DE (And the future AOE games).

It just makes sense now, you know? The door is opened, shouldn't just close it.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Unless all they care about is Xbox Live MAU and then yes everything would appear on Steam. It's hard to say because we don't know what their strategy is at the moment.
well when Microsoft talks about Xbox Sales, they talk about the number of Xbox Live Users....sooooo

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
May I ask where you are getting this from? I assumed that the Steam version would be Win32, not UWP.
MS will probably want to lock PC version down from modding and cheaters because they will obviously want this to be cross play title with MS Store version and Xbox version. Over wise they wouldn't be requiring Steam users to have XBL account. This might not be pure UWP like MS Store version, but I doubt it will just be Win32 version open for hacking and modding. MS doesn't want that for their cross play and play anywhere titles.