• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I think Microsoft is going to put MCC on Steam and Windows store and then they're going to try and sell you on why you should buy the Windows store version.

Their goal is still to hey people paying for Game Pass. MCC buys them good will by releasing in Steam day 1. But I wouldn't expect the back catalogue or all future games to be on Steam unless they announce it.

There's a lot of testing the waters going on.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I never thought a day like this would come, but i guess MS is going into it full steam ahead. I'd love to see these games come to other platforms as well, i havent played Halo for years, but being able to play it on a platform i own would be a big draw

Deleted member 10852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
im waiting for confirmation if is uwp or win32, if is uwp probably will skip, is one of the main reasons i dont use the win store app

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I think Microsoft is going to put MCC on Steam and Windows store and then they're going to try and sell you on why you should buy the Windows store version.

Their goal is still to hey people paying for Game Pass. MCC buys them good will by releasing in Steam day 1. But I wouldn't expect the back catalogue or all future games to be on Steam unless they announce it.

There's a lot of testing the waters going on.

Windows Store for Gamepass only. Steam/other launchers for individual game purchases? maybe.

Deleted member 38397

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Having said that, I don't see much point in getting Steam version as opposed to MS Store, as you are still buying the same UWP version and you still need XBL app and services running on your PC. So it seems it's identical to MS Store version with only difference you also will need to have Steam client running, as well as losing Play Anywhere feature.

But getting it on Steam alleviates one of Windows Store's biggest problems - incomplete/corrupted downloads with no option to verify the game files and repair broken installations without deleting the whole thing and starting again. (But I also am about to give away my Xbone so Play Anywhere is no longer a selling point to me.)

They could of course still screw this up by putting the encrypted UWP folders on Steam but I'm not sure Valve will like that. The games should conform to the Steam library folder structures and allow things like Family Sharing, etc.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox Live API coming to Steam could be an other indication, but we'll have to see if that's what Phil Spencer meant with PC commitment.

Seriously didn't expect a Steam announcement for Halo: MCC and I'm very happy it happened.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are you talking about? There's no indication that the Steam version is UWP. It's probably a normal win32 game like SunSet Overdrive, Recore and Killer Instinct on Steam.

This means this version can actually be modded by the community and works with 3rd party overlays and tools like RTSS. So there definitely is a difference.

Also, the majority of PC gamers doesn't have an Xbox, so they don't care for Play Anywhere at all.

Halo Wars 2 on Steam (or any other win32 storefront) would be a day one purchase for me.
It will be UWP, or maybe some sort of win32 and UWP hybrid. Biggest hint that MCC will be unlike previous MS releases on Steam is this:
3QNI7Bd.png

MS obviously wants this to be fully XBL compatible with possible cross play and maybe even Play Anywhere working.

Deleted member 47318

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Rare Replay would most likely need to be remade ala the Master Chief collection to show up on PC. I can certainly see it happen once MCC is finished up.
I would like to see Rare Replay, but I can't imagine it being a huge priority given current popularity and the many different kinds of emulation involved. Not unless there's a one size fits all, press a single button to port kind of solution in place.

At most I could see justification for bringing over Banjo, Conker and Perfect Dark to PC, and potentially Switch as well. Battletoads and Killer Instinct could be included with future releases of their respective series.

If I were in Phil's shoes, I'd go for the Gears series first. Still popular enough and the style of gameplay is still in vogue. There's new entries in the series coming up as well, and they all run in Unreal so would be relatively easy to port and optimize.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
It will be UWP, or maybe some sort of win32 and UWP hybrid. Biggest hint that MCC will be unlike previous MS releases on Steam is this:
3QNI7Bd.png

MS obviously wants this to be fully XBL compatible with possible cross play and maybe even Play Anywhere working.

The fact that you need to login using an Xbox Live account has nothing to do with UWP. Steam has added support for the Xbox Live API in their client, which is still win32.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They releasing a new store halo is their biggest franchise ..they want their store to work

To me it seems like MS is becoming platform agnostic, they don't care where you play it as long as you play their games and is part of their ecosystem.

Never before has a MS game required you to use an Xbox LIVE account on Steam.

I think this is just the start.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So do you think the game will latch on to the Xbox APIs and use Xbox achievements instead of Steam achievements and Xbox cloud saving instead of Steam cloud saving?
Yes I believe this is what will happen. That's the only way MS can assure parity and deliver fully fleshed out version on Steam. If they were to strip out XBL from Steam version half the features wouldn't work, including multiplayer because XBL infrastructure is deeply integrated into Halo and other MS first party titles (Forza, Gears etc.).

Nov 12, 2017
To me it seems like MS is becoming platform agnostic, they don't care where you play it as long as you play their games and is part of their ecosystem.

Never before has a MS game required you to use an Xbox LIVE account on Steam.

I think this is just the start.
Uhm Let's see I suspect it will be like this until the new store

Calm Killer

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is possible that all releases moving forward could get this treatment. I think it would be less likely that previous releases would be released on steam.

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
Asked already in another thread but I did not get an answer so here er Go: is there a way to circumvent the steam cut for ms ?

I hope its exactly the same version like on windows store -> xbox features and not steam stuff. Honestly I would rather have them fix the store and Fileformat instead of releasing everything on steam.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Asked already in another thread but I did not get an answer so here er Go: is there a way to circumvent the steam cut for ms ?

I hope its exactly the same version like on windows store -> xbox features and not steam stuff. Honestly I would rather have them fix the store and Fileformat instead of releasing everything on steam.
The only way is to release on their own store, which they're already doing.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised. They've made it clear that they don't care where you're playing their games, and only care that you're playing them somewhere. Putting their games on Steam reaches an audience that scoffs any time the Windows Store is brought up.

I wouldn't be surprised if they keep the focus more on older games when it comes to Steam, like maybe Gears of War: Ultimate Edition or Gears of War 4. But I do think we'll continue to see them put games out there.

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
I think they will. Most importantly for MS, this will bring more people into their ecosystem; this will get people on Live, give MS some much needed good PR, bring back PC gamers, make Halo big again in preparation for infinite.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt. Then again I'd never believe halo would make, so maybe it's possible.

I'd be in for age of empires 4 on Steam day one.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
I still think it's early to say if games like gears 5 and Halo infinite are coming to steam. Ori
2 is coming tho.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I'm not interested in halo gears and forza by themselves but releasing halo on steam hopefully will let them release other things like the new age of empires there that I am interested in.
Let win32 be supreme.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Microsoft should just get it over with and release everything on Steam. The Windows store is not going to rise from the grave anyway.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft should just get it over with and release everything on Steam. The Windows store is not going to rise from the grave anyway.

it doesn't really have to tbf. Every W10 owner has it installed on their OS by default. If you want an MS game and have gamepass and it's on pc chances are you can just hit the windows key, type the game into the search bar and hit download.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
MS has realised that restricting you games to one platform is ridiculous

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
it doesn't really have to tbf. Every W10 owner has it installed on their OS by default. If you want an MS game and have gamepass and it's on pc chances are you can just hit the windows key, type the game into the search bar and hit download.
What does it matter when nobody uses it? I mean we heard plenty of times that the sales on this thing are atrocious.

SmashN'Grab

Oct 27, 2017
I noticed ReCore came out on Steam a while back, and of course so did Sunset Overdrive. Killer Instinct is there also. ReCore is actually a Play Anywhere title on the Xbox/MS Store, too.

It would be nice to see Gears 4, Sea of Thieves, Halo Wars 2, Forza 7, Forza Horizon 3 & 4 and Crackdown 3 all on Steam just to bring it up to speed. Then, going forward, I see no reason not to have all MS titles on Steam as well as their own store.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
The most logical release would be Sea of Thieves, as that's one of their biggest GaaS titles that's receiving a mega update soon. But I'm not expecting it to happen.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure we'll see more (Ori and the Will of the Wisps for one) but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a case-by-case situation. Everything about the MCC is a make good for the community right now and getting it on Steam is a huge win for all involved, but I could see it being a special circumstances compared to everything else.

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I'd love for my entire xbox library to be available to play on the PC. Steam or not doesn't really bother me much.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

MS could sell Steam keys while keeping the game off the store, at least for a time. Technically, Valve doesn't allow this, but it's rather loosely enforced.

No Steamworks features are listed on the store page and there'll be some sort of XBL integration. It's safe to say the Steam version is going to be the very same game, just not packaged as a UWA.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I'm hoping it will come to GoG, if there is no GoG version I will just go with the Win10store/UWP.

Couldn't you just add the game as a shortcut in Steam and launch it from Steam to use Input/proton? That's my play if it works.

I don't own any UWP games but as far as I know there are issues when trying to run UWP games through Steam.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
I can see MS ditching the whole "Windows Store only" approach altogether now that they got XBL integration working on Steam, and use game pass and play anywhere to encourage Windows Store version adoption instead.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I still don't trust it, I expect them to turn heel any moment and come around with "Here's more... (but you have to subscripe here!)" shit!

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This will backfire if they don't have a good store for people to use. This is the same reason Epic is money hatting shit instead of competing on a level field with Steam. I anything MS has more justification to put MCC on Win store only even in its current and not on Steam because they are first party games.

Flip flopping on the next new Halo game is just gonna piss people off and confuse them. It could still happen and there could be better Win10 store by then but it does not make much sense when none of their other first party games are on Steam. There are other Halo games on Steam as well, maybe Halo is just different.

This is in no way the same situation as Epic, Halo MCC is an older title getting a full introduction to PC gamers with the ability to also play on Steam. Epic is using new third party titles to get people to their store. People would not be nearly as upset if it were Epic games. This is a smart move to do two things. One is to show better commitment to the PC platfrom from Microsoft and two is use something like Halo Infinite to get more of those who will enjoy Halo MCC to the Windows Store.

The only way people are going to see if Windows Store is better is to actually use it and by the time Halo Infinite is out I imagine it will be much better than it is. Of course I can see the eyerolls now after all the years of broken promises but it's not impossible this new renewed interest and the way they are handling Halo MCC will get to that place.

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Phil Spencer is probably the best thing that has happened to Microsoft gaming in the last 15 years. He still makes his mistakes like anyone, but had it not been for him doing everything he can to erase the Don Mattrick era off the history books I am pretty sure Microsoft would be absolutely screwed right now.