• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Will we see game series like Forza and Gears on Steam? Do you think this will apply to new games only or will they start delivering their back catalog as well?

dedacc

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm hoping they give this treatment to Age of Empires Ultimate and Age of Empires IV. Ngl, but being locked to the Windows Universal Store made me not want to buy these titles.

Also give us PC releases of the Mistwalker collabs, gad dang it.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming this is to bait people into having to use the Microsoft Store for Infinite.

Oct 25, 2017
If a halo title made it to Steam , then IPs like gears and Forza have a very big chance too

I might be in the minority here , but even if they released on steam i will still buy their titles on MS store due to MS Store having Good regional pricing for me , which isnt available on Steam for me

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why not. MS seems to have worked out with Valve on how they will sell UWP/XBL enabled games on Steam. So yeah, more games will definitely come to Steam.

Having said that, I don't see much point in getting Steam version as opposed to MS Store, as you are still buying the same UWP version and you still need XBL app and services running on your PC. So it seems it's identical to MS Store version with only difference you also will need to have Steam client running, as well as losing Play Anywhere feature.

This is of course good for consumers, but personally I wouldn't buy MS games on Steam, because Play Anywhere feature is amazing.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
They like money, so i would imagine so. Microsoft doesn't care about their games being limited to one platform, they're all about being a service these days.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming this is to bait people into having to use the Microsoft Store for Infinite.
This will backfire if they don't have a good store for people to use. This is the same reason Epic is money hatting shit instead of competing on a level field with Steam. I anything MS has more justification to put MCC on Win store only even in its current and not on Steam because they are first party games.

Flip flopping on the next new Halo game is just gonna piss people off and confuse them. It could still happen and there could be better Win10 store by then but it does not make much sense when none of their other first party games are on Steam. There are other Halo games on Steam as well, maybe Halo is just different.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Possibly, yeah. It depends on what Microsoft's game plan is. If the goal is to increase MAUs and get more people into the Xbox ecosystem then it makes total sense to release other games on Steam and get many more people on board. Microsoft's sales through the Windows Store aren't great, they're mainly interested in pushing Gamepass, Valve doesn't have a subscription service and they're mainly interested in selling copies of games. It seems like a win-win for both since they don't seem to be competing directly anymore.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This will backfire if they don't have a good store for people to use. This is the same reason Epic is money hatting shit instead of competing on a level field with Steam. I anything MS has more justification to put MCC on Win store only even in its current and not on Steam because they are first party games.

Flip flopping on the next new Halo game is just gonna piss people off and confuse them. It could still happen and there could be better Win10 store by then but it does not make much sense when none of their other first party games are on Steam. There are other Halo games on Steam as well, maybe Halo is just different.

Moneyhatting exclusivity is miles apart from releasing your own games on your own store.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I think the announcement of DX12 being enable for Win7 with World of Warcraft yesterday paired with MCC on Steam I could see MS offering a Gamepass sub within Steam thus MS entire first party output being playable there. Remember that 70% of a lot is greater than 100% of a little (revenue split). MS now being a service company that offers its Office products on Android, IOS and Mac has definitely set the precedent.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Yes, i do expect every Microsoft game from now on to be on Steam + WS.
If Microsoft really don't care on what device you are going to play their games (as Phil likes to say), are we going to see their games on ps4 / NS ? (natively, not streaming).

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
For the near future, probably. Gears 5 will definitely be Steam too - Windows Store really hurt what I believe could have had a huge PC following with Gears 4.

I do think things will go back to Windows Store exclusive once the Storefront is fixed (if that ever happens), and Gamepass comes to be.

Last edited:

Han

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Rare Replay pls.

I mean... it's unlikely. But I would love it.

With a more realistic view I agreee to Cyberpunk. We may have hopes for the big IPs like Forza and Gears and future titles.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
I would like to see Panzer Dragoon Orta on Steam. Sega and MS can work together to make it happen now!

Does Sega need to work with MS on that at all? I would've thought that the exclusivity deal expired years ago, isn't a PC port just up to Sega now? I would love to see it, maybe Sega are waiting on sales of the upcoming remakes of 1 and Zwei.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
I don't see why not. MS seems to have worked out with Valve on how they will sell UWP/XBL enabled games on Steam. So yeah, more games will definitely come to Steam.

Having said that, I don't see much point in getting Steam version as opposed to MS Store, as you are still buying the same UWP version and you still need XBL app and services running on your PC. So it seems it's identical to MS Store version with only difference you also will need to have Steam client running, as well as losing Play Anywhere feature.

This is of course good for consumers, but personally I wouldn't buy MS games on Steam, because Play Anywhere feature is amazing.
I don't think play anywhere would be lost, but I can certainly see it being a launcher for a UWP version that may or may not have steam overlay but still have controllers support. Think of it as a Steam client native version of GloSC.
Rare Replay pls.

I mean... it's unlikely. But I would love it.

With a more realistic view I agreee to Cyberpunk. We may have hopes for the big IPs like Forza and Gears and future titles.
Rare Replay would most likely need to be remade ala the Master Chief collection to show up on PC. I can certainly see it happen once MCC is finished up.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I hope so. I dont mind using the Win10 store if they drop UWP. But I'd much rather play games on Steam for a variety of reasons.

Gimme Forza Horizon 5 on Steam MS and ill buy the Ultimate edition day 1.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the announcement of DX12 being enable for Win7 with World of Warcraft yesterday paired with MCC on Steam I could see MS offering a Gamepass sub within Steam thus MS entire first party output being playable there. Remember that 70% of a lot is greater than 100% of a little (revenue split). MS now being a service company that offers its Office products on Android, IOS and Mac has definitely set the precedent.

I wouldn't see that DX12 on Win7 anything other than a transition process for developers before Win7 ends support, rather than evidence of ongoing commitment.

And while it may be the start of us seeing more XBS games on Steam, I doubt you're going to see the value add offerings of Play Anywhere and Game Pass anywhere other than the MS Store.

Viva Pinata
eric-andre.jpg

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
Their Steam support has been great this gen. Even if some stuff wasn't day n date.

MCC
Quantum Break
Sunset Overdrive
Ori
Cuphead.

Honestly its hard to ask them for better support. Sea of Thieves could use a good population bump if its ever completely dead on Win10. I wouldn't mind a Gears Collection too if they ever did it but otherwise I think they've done a good enough job. The Forza games probably have too many licensing things that would prevent them from doing any platform but their own.

As far as future stuff I think they should release wtvr new game Obsidian does with them since Obsidian has good success on Steam over the years. Same thing with Inxile.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I wonder MCC will be UWP, or like the Xbox packages on Windows they've been testing recently?

Could have interesting implications of it's the latter. Little to stop them porting every exclusive over.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping for Forza Horizon 3/4. If only because then they might actually go on sale once in a while.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Their first party will now be available on Steam to give the games more exposure and higher sales (more choice in how to access their content), but obviously their eco-system won't be left behind because Game Pass is launching on PC soon and that's how they'll draw people in. Buy Halo MCC etc on Steam, or subscribe to PC Game Pass and get access to that and 200 other games including FH4, Gears 5 etc.
I wonder MCC will be UWP, or like the Xbox packages on Windows they've been testing recently?

Could have interesting implications of it's the latter. Little to stop them porting every exclusive over.
Either way it's a full port, as they're supporting ultra-wide etc.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
Halo 6 and all future MS title will 100% be on steam

there is no going back from here

People would pissed off if they start buying Halo on Steam and then have no other option than Windows Store for the sequels.

Gamepass and Play anywhere will probably be the incentives to use the Windows Store.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd sacrifice half of my Steam library for the Madness series (Midtown, Motocross and Monster Truck), along with Crimson Skies and Pandora's Box. Of course, it would be the bad half of my library, but still.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Don't see why they would just release MCC and nothing else on Steam, there is no denying now that Microsoft is a Multiplatform developer.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Until they bring the Windows Store to a functioning state I hope so. I tried to use it again the past 2 weeks with 4 games: Recore, Halo Wars 2, Killer Instinct, GoW4. Record downloaded, installed and launched with 0 issues. Halo Wars 2 and Killer Instinct both failed at their first download attempts and required a second try, while KI also required a system reboot in order to work properly. GoW 4 was by far the most souring experience since I had to download 135gb at a slower speed than what my connection usually gets, only to be unable to launch any sort of mode (including single player ones!) due to some "Xbox live error". So yeah, until I don't have to prey everytime I purchase a game for it to work with no issues, I hope they release their games on more mature platforms.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
I'm hoping it will come to GoG, if there is no GoG version I will just go with the Win10store/UWP.

Being able to use Steam Input with those games without issues is a major benefit. Possibly being able to run these games on Linux through Steam Proton is also a huge deal.
Couldn't you just add the game as a shortcut in Steam and launch it from Steam to use Input/proton? That's my play if it works.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be brilliant if MS embraced the openness of PC and its heritage as software company first and supported all major stores - GOG, Steam, Humble, its own Windows Store (and hopefully overhaul it to usefulness).

I'd sacrifice half of my Steam library for the Madness series (Midtown, Motocross and Monster Truck), along with Crimson Skies and Pandora's Box. Of course, it would be the bad half of my library, but still.

And re-release the classics, yeah.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

What are you talking about? There's no indication that the Steam version is UWP. It's probably a normal win32 game like SunSet Overdrive, Recore and Killer Instinct on Steam.

This means this version can actually be modded by the community and works with 3rd party overlays and tools like RTSS. So there definitely is a difference.

Also, the majority of PC gamers doesn't have an Xbox, so they don't care for Play Anywhere at all.

You could see
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Sea of Thieves
  • Minecraft
  • Forza 7
  • Forza Horizon 4

Halo Wars 2 on Steam (or any other win32 storefront) would be a day one purchase for me.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Looking at Phil's wording, I think that yes we can expect them to release them on other storefronts in the future, not sure if they'll release old titles on Steam though (although it would hugely help FH4 if they put it for example).

as you are still buying the same UWP version and you still need XBL app and services running on your PC
Not necessarily, Minecraft on the switch implements the same XBL API and it sure isn't a UWP version of the game nor the switch has an XBL app or w/e.

It's one of the reasons that they open their API to all developers, you can implement it on your Steam games, Switch or mobile games.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't see that DX12 on Win7 anything other than a transition process for developers before Win7 ends support, rather than evidence of ongoing commitment.

And while it may be the start of us seeing more XBS games on Steam, I doubt you're going to see the value add offerings of Play Anywhere and Game Pass anywhere other than the MS Store.

I think it is more of a signal as to what MS intentions are than direct evidence of anything. Removing feature exclusivity from a platform is just another step towards this.

SmashN'Grab

Oct 27, 2017
I want Age of Empires Definitive Edition on Steam. Wasn't the series supposed to be part of the show yesterday?