• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think of the official Persona 3 & 5 main character names?

• I like both Makoto Yuki & Ren Amamiya.

Votes: 42 45.2%
  • I like Makoto Yuki, but I'm not a big fan of Ren Amamiya.

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • I like Ren Amamiya, but I'm not a big fan of Makoto Yuki.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • I don't really like either of the official names.

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • Meh, they'll always be [Insert random name that isn't either official or from the manga here] to me.

Votes: 14 15.1%

• Total voters

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Granted, Makoto Yuki has had his name for a few years now, but both his name & Ren's have been made official (following their debut in the P3 anime movies & the P5 anime respectively) due to their respective dancing games (though it should be noted that Smash Ultimate is side-stepping the debate entirely by going with "Joker" as his name).
DR05Ib-UEAYsq74.jpg
DR05Ib_U8AAfmEI.jpg
So now that we've had time to let the official names sink into our minds after months (or years in Makoto Yuki's case) of their manga names (Minato Arisato for Makoto, Akira Kusuru for Ren), what do you guys think of the new official names?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Minato Arisato was too long-winded imo, so I prefer Makoto, but Ren will take some getting used to.
Too subdued for a guy who says stuff like "RAVAGE THEM!"

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Oh wow so Makoto Yuki the confirmed canon name now? That's awesome! I didn't know if it was gonna be confirmed since he has like three different names.

I love both Makoto and Ren's names!

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
My OC DONUT STEEL names will be forever canon in my heart

P3 MC - Hisamu Hoshito
P4 MC - Shinji Sadamoto
P5 MC - Izuru Kurosawa

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
My OC DONUT STEEL names will be forever canon in my heart

P3 MC - Hisamu Hoshito
P4 MC - Shinji Sadamoto
P5 MC - Izuru Kurosawa
I actually named Ren "Jozua Yirjo" for my first run of Persona 5. I'm gonna go with Ren Amamiya for my next run of the game.

SideMatt

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm replaying P5 with my sister right now and she named Ren fucking Toast Daddy. We named the Phantom Theives Ghost Toast too.

As for the official names, I like them quite a bit. Makoto being gender neutral is perfect for referring to both MCs, and even though I like Ren, I've gotten so used to just calling him Joker so it'll take me a bit to adjust.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I like Akira Kurusu, but just because that came first and thus what I named my protag. I'm sure Ren Amamiya will grow on me as it's used more and more though.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm quite happy with Ren but would prefer Minato for the P3 protagonist. Whatever though, it'll grow on me.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like both. Akira never quite sank with me but that may be because I knew it would inevitably be replaced.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I don't care that much, but I'd prefer that for the rhythm games they kept "Hero" instead of some stupid canon name.
I understand the need for them, for manga/anime adaptations though.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with both. I just wish they'd start giving us those names in the base games (like in Persona 2) instead of having to wait for spinoffs for them.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why I feel uneasy about Ren if Akira was the established name. Still, I guess I need to let the names sink in and get used to them perhaps...

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
P5 protags name will always be Shu Jinkou to me (literally means Protagonist) but Ren is good. Never really played P3 so don't have much of a opinion on it but Makoto is fine.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
They should've had a default canon name from the start. Maybe they didn't know better in the first iteration of P3, but there's no reason we shouldn't have had Ren from the start with P5.

I'd grown attached to Akira Kurusu, but that's just because it's the name I used in the game.

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
This is just my personal opinion but:
narukami1.gif

They really should have just put "Yu Narukami" there instead of "Hero". That's what I think though.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I didn't know that! Interesting. What was Yu Narukami's third name? I know of Souji Seta but not the third one.
Hayato Asakawa, his name from the official theater play. What's kinda interesting is the play was held after the fighting game had already come out, so by that point he actually already got the official name.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually never really use the canon names ever. Its even more pointless in P5 cause I can just call him joker

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Hayato Asakawa, his name from the official theater play. What's kinda interesting is the play was held after the fighting game had already come out, so by that point he actually already got the official name.
Oh there was a play about the 4th game too? I only knew about the stage play of the 3rd game. The play had both male and female protags but the male was named Sakuya Shiomi. I thought that was Makoto's third name.

Good to know though! Thanks for telling me that! It's actually a pretty cool sounding name.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
They should've had a default canon name from the start. Maybe they didn't know better in the first iteration of P3, but there's no reason we shouldn't have had Ren from the start with P5.

I'd grown attached to Akira Kurusu, but that's just because it's the name I used in the game.
Agreed on that front. Makoto Yuki's case I can understand as well as Yu (to an extent) since they established the canon name from Arena onwards, but they should have established the Ren name from the get-go.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I guess it's been over a year since we got the names, so I thought now would be a good time to bring back the discussion (especially with Joker in Smash, PQ2 finally being localized, and the P3 & P5 dancing games now being out in the West).

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I named my protag Akira Kurusu but Ren Amamiya is really growing on me

Yu Narukami though...

OcJcUk0.png

T5EuGhz.gif