• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Long and short of it. Never played the first two, my introduction was 3, are these worth diving into? Any recommendations going in if I do take the plunge?

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
Fallout 1 and 2 are the best in the series, so yes. Although I can't speak to whether the Game Pass versions are moddable. There's a bunch of mods that come with the GOG version that allows you to choose a higher resolution, among other QOL bug fixes.

EDIT: Fallout Fixt is what you want. https://falloutmods.fandom.com/wiki/Fallout_Fixt

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
Long and short of it. Never played the first two, my introduction was 3, are these worth diving into? Any recommendations going in if I do take the plunge?
People here will tell you of course. And they are great games. But if you don't play old school rpgs or have an affinity for that style of game, then you will not enjoy them in the same way people are recommending them to you.

So if you like old school rpg's of course or are curious about that type of experience. If you don't, then probably not. It's not a sin to not like older gamers necessarily if that style of game doesn't attract you by itself.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, if you are fine playing an older archaic game. They hold up in content and atmosphere perfectly.

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
If you are on the right mindset yes. These are old school RPGs, the best part is the story and setting. The combat is difficult and unforgiving. I quite enjoyed the 1st one, tho (haven't played the 2nd one).

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
I actually played Fallout 1 a little after 3 was released in order to prep myself for it. It was surprisingly playable despite looking like ass. It kinda played like XCOM with the combat so that was cool. I heard 2 is better because of the writing (what you expect from now Obsidian devs)

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I hope you don't think it's on Xbox. It's only the PC game pass, and those games have been on sale for Steam for like $2 dozens of times over the years.

But yeah, they still play very well today if you know what to expect from a cRPG.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
People here will tell you of course. And they are great games. But if you don't play old school rpgs or have an affinity for that style of game, then you will not enjoy them in the same way people are recommending them to you.

So if you like old school rpg's of course or are curious about that type of experience. If you don't, then probably not. It's not a sin to not like older gamers necessarily if that style of game doesn't attract you by itself.
Pretty much yeah, these are unquestionably old school cRPGs, so just bare that in mind

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I tried Fallout 1 for the first time like five years ago and it was unbearable, even though I have some level of tolerance for old PC game jank.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
Totally worth it!

If you aren't that used to CRPGs then probably start with 2 as it's pretty modern with lots of fun stuff to do/explore. Fallout 1 is more focused and there isn't THAT much to do outside the main quest, still extremely good though.

Have patience and take your time, read descriptions. Use at least one weapon skill. Small arms is never wrong.

If for some reason you have trouble getting into it, try a trainer to set your SPECIALs to 10, so you can see most things and enjoy tourist mode.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
i love them both, if you enjoy old-school turn-based rpgs, they are inventive, funny, and challenging

last time i played them i needed fan patches (i think? maybe just for 1), don't know if there's been addressed or not

i'm one of those people who love 1 more than two. it's just super tight, like a good novella. avellone put in good work with 2 but he probably needed to be fenced in a bit

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I tried playing Fallout shortly before 3 came out and couldn't get into it for more than an hour or so.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only on PC unfortunately, but that does lead me to ask: would the games be unplayable on a pad?

Kainazzo

Dec 13, 2017
FO1 is different from the rest. It's more consistent to the retro 50s' look more than any other entry, and is pretty short for an RPG. Last time I played I 100%ed in about 5 hours, though I've played several times. You can speedrun an honest, good ending in 10 mins.

Companions aren't too useful, there's no auto-save, and the skill balance is poor (small guns + speech beats everything). There are mods to help with this, it's a wonderful game when you know what you're doing, and it's interesting to see what Fallout looked like when it wasn't yet a franchise.

FO2 is WAY longer and WAY buggier, the restoration mod or something like it is essential. FO2 is a lot more like modern titles, especially New Vegas.

i'm one of those people who love 1 more than two. it's just super tight, like a good novella. avellone put in good work with 2 but he probably needed to be fenced in a bit
I agree, Fallout 1 wasn't afraid to be a short RPG and doesn't outstay its welcome. 2 is good but so long that I'm ready for it to end by the time I meet Horrigan.

Last edited:

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
They are absolutely worth a play. I dont know if someone who enjoyed Fallout 3 and 4 more and expect it from the games would like it though. Even New Vegas to a point. However if you enjoyed Wasteland 3 absolutely get them

Only on PC unfortunately, but that does lead me to ask: would the games be unplayable on a pad?

Wasteland 3 and 2 work on console just fine. It would be a lot of work though.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Fallout 1 and 2 are the best in the series, so yes. Although I can't speak to whether the Game Pass versions are moddable. There's a bunch of mods that come with the GOG version that allows you to choose a higher resolution, among other QOL bug fixes.

EDIT: Fallout Fixt is what you want. https://falloutmods.fandom.com/wiki/Fallout_Fixt
This is what I wanted to mention. In their pure form, they are good, but dated and a product of their time, so be prepared for that. Modded they are much better and hold up a lot more.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I tried Fallout 1 for the first time like five years ago and it was unbearable, even though I have some level of tolerance for old PC game jank.

Yeah. It really depends on HOW MUCH tolerance you have for that stuff.

Also Fallout 2's opening is somehow more miserable than starting a new game of Fallout 4, albeit for different reasons. It's kinda funny how people keep modding the beginning out of every Fallout game except New Vegas.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Added a (PC) to the title, and absolutely! They're superb, and while dated, they do hold up. I'm a huge fan of both, though two is the one you really want to play. It does start off pretty slow, however.

Both are highly recommended, but give 'em a bit of time and get comfortable with them. I think you'll be happy you invested the time.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
I started with 1, played some of 2, then 3. I still think 1 is a fun time, and I hear 2 has many mods that improve it more than the already good game it was meant to be.

Will never forget that damn Deathclaw nest. Or pick pocketing the Brotherhood only to get blown to bits.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Temple of Trials is a bad tutorial area but still better (and faster) than Vault 111 and pre-war times in Fallout 4

And people just dont mod the start of new vegas cause they had the decency of making it quick. a few words with the doc and youre out to do whatever

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017
They are the only really good Fallout games.

Fallout 3 and beyond are good games but not good Fallout games. The only one that comes close is New Vegas.

{Marvelous}

Jan 2, 2018
Yes but with their respective unofficial patches, at least I haven't played them without the patches in ages. FIXT and Restoration Project. There's a lot of QoL and you can customise for more purist settings.

I found there was a barrier for years in terms of playability with these games but it faded, I eventually realised how easygoing they were once I acclimated to the character progression, combat and player freedom. It's good to be saving reflexively and have at least 3 ++ saves going casually - like before a quest, during and after completion. It's not a game "about saving" it's just old - you have to think of how you want choices and outcomes to stand going forward, a lot of the fun is in carving your own path relative to your playstyle and not repeating things due to error.

Sosukae

Oct 25, 2017
Both games are soo good. I remember getting Fallout 1 with my first family pc and it came preinstalled with no manual and I spent so much time in the first cave outside the vault just killing stuff. Once I realised you could leave the cave didn't realise there was a finite amount of time to complete the main story.

ka13b

Dec 17, 2020
Absolutely. Fallout 2 is the best Fallout has ever got. They are not anything like FO3 and onwards though (in the best way)

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
They are insanely dated but I'll never forget an article about a professor/instructor of game design always introducing it to his students as a graded assignment to play through. I feel like he said it taught a lot of good and bad about game design but also showed how the underlying mechanics and gameplay can make a game so much more than it's looks. The way he talked about how the students eventually got sucked in to the world and what they learned from it made me appreciate it.

I'm paraphrasing hardcore and I wish I could find the article or blog I was talking about cause I found it insightful at the time.

Mar 5, 2019
I played through the 1st game last year and overall enjoyed but there were plenty of frustrations to be had, like with the AI.

I tried so hard to keep that dog alive but in the end I was just watching him die over and over again :(

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
I played through the 1st game last year and overall enjoyed but there were plenty of frustrations to be had, like with the AI.

I tried so hard to keep that dog alive but in the end I was just watching him die over and over again :(

dogmeat is not supposed to survive for any longer than a few maps, its even an ingame joke in some random events and 2

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
I still replay them occasionally and I think 2 is a vastly superior game to anything that came afterwards. New Vegas was closest but I still prefer 2.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Played them both last year for the first time. Had to used cheats because the difficulty/rng was awful (from a modern standpoint) but all in all I really enjoyed them. Fallout 1 felt like a predecessor of Fallout 3/4 while Fallout 2 felt like a predecessor of New Vegas.

ftchrs

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Played them both last year for the first time. Had to used cheats because the difficulty/rng was awful (from a modern standpoint) but all in all I really enjoyed them. Fallout 1 felt like a predecessor of Fallout 3/4 while Fallout 2 felt like a predecessor of New Vegas.

I love you dude, but I feel like Fallout 3 and 4 seized on the worst impulses of Fallout 2.

Don't sleep on Fallout 1. Consider playing it with a guide.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
The first one is my favorite Fallout game. They are old and need a certain level of tolerance for old games and I played them for the first time long after they were new. Personally I think none of the game since really captured the vibe laid out in the first game and it is a real shame.

Last edited:

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
to be honest if crpgs aren't your typical jaunt your time may be better spent playing other games in the genre (old and new)

that said it give them a try why not