• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Looking past any prosecution of those involved in the 6th's attempted coup, what do you think the first plan of action should be for the Dems? I'm expecting a higher stimulus, and I low-key hope for a fast-track decriminalize of marijuana on the federal level.

If at all possible, they should also look into reforming the electoral college, election reform (gerrymandering laws), and getting rid of the filibuster. If an obstructionist like McConnell ever gets majority again, they should have the ability to stall governmental processes until they get what they want.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
In all seriousness don't overestimate how easy it will be to get things done with such a slim edge in the senate. It's going to be quite a bit more difficult that a lot of people expect.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
They don't control all three branches. The three branches are Legislative (congress), Executive (president) and Judicial (SCOTUS). Dems have two.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I dont know how much they can do regarding this, as I fear its more "up to the state" but the US needs some sort of new universal voting rules, abolish the EC and gerrymandering.

Mind you, they can work on more than one thing at a time, Universal Healthcare and Global Warming being really fucking high up there, but the US cant afford to have a system where the minority voters keep winning and fucking everything up

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Small incremental changes that will be easily overturned by the next populist Republican to take office. Also lots of pointless gestures and overtures towards bipartisanship.
It's the Obama way.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'll be the new voting rights act. That helps provide the future framework for enacting and preserving change.

Probably the $2K checks first though. But that'll be a quickie.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
I am very curious about aspects that will help elections in the future, but not big enough for the supreme court to overrule it. So no abolishing the electoral college, but statehood for Washington and Puerto Rico at least.

Wondering what else might be possible now.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They don't control all three branches. The three branches are Legislative (congress), Executive (president) and Judicial (SCOTUS). Dems have two.
They do. The senate is tied at the moment with Kamala being the final vote. They pretty much own all branches.

EDIT. Nevermind. Just waking up. Hah

Last edited:

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Serious answer: move combatting climate change and inequality to the top of the agenda. Make sure this is done in a way that can't be easily undone by the next administration.

Making PGR backward compatible

This right here.

Small incremental changes that will be easily overturned by the next populist Republican to take office. Also lots of pointless gestures and overtures towards bipartisanship.
It's the Obama way.

This is what will happen.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
First? Investigate the events of yesterday and throw the book at everyone who pulled off the shit that they did.

Remind those guilty of sedition that actions have consequences.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Go ham with as many progressive policies as possible.

When Trump's term started, they didn't waste any time, so why should we?

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Throw the book at the cunts who egged the traitors on for years, had people die while trying to storm a government building, and still fucking voted for that rigged election bullshit they were spewing. Also throw the book at the cunt traitors too.

Oct 27, 2017
They have 2 years and the clock is ticking - after that there is no guarantees. They need to start straight away with voting reform. PR and DC statehood preperations, they need to cajole all the dems in the senate for this to work. Something that might be straightforward is removing the population caps for house reps.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
First priority is COVID.
  • Get vaccine distribution organized. We also need to communicate to people when and how they can get it, if/how they will be alerted when it's their turn. Most of us are just sitting around waiting and wondering.
  • Build a national testing and contact tracing program that we should have had in place 10 months ago. Unfortunate that this is still desperately needed. Other countries are way ahead of us on this, and our leave-it-to-the-states system has a lot of problems.
  • Guarantee all COVID testing, treatment, and vaccinations free for everyone, regardless of citizenship or residency status. And communicate this to people.
  • Fix problems that still exist with shortages of PPE for health care workers. Some doctors and nurses still can't get enough N95's and are forced to reuse them, for example.
  • Rejoin the WHO.
  • I don't know how a national mask mandate would play out after a year of idiotic culture war against them, or how it could be enforced, but maybe something could still be done...
  • Seems like the remainder of the $2k stimulus will happen. I hope we're able to get more money to those who desperately need it (not just to boost the economy but to survive day to day). I'm fortune to still be working and in a position where I don't need another check, but I want those who need it to get it.
  • We need better measures on eviction bans, rent and loan moratoriums. And prevent mass evictions once this is behind us due to a mountain of deferred payments.
The actions and inaction of the outgoing administration made this so much worse than it had to be. We didn't have to be one of the leading countries for cases and deaths, but he did his damnedest to make it that way. I wish consequences still existed, I wish it mattered in some real way other than "in the history books," but I don't have much hope that anything actually happens on that front.

Last edited:

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
Implement a comprehensive federal covid19 policy, possibly including supplying the public with free masks, and providing covid sick leave benefits.

Eviction moratorium due to covid.

Pass the SAFE Act, to make voting verifiable, which Republicans repeatedly blocked.

Reverse the damage done to the USPS.

Eliminate the filibuster.

DC and PR Statehood.

Rescind all of Trump's actions harming the environment.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
There are many MANY things that are more important but weed legalization is a slam dunk and you'll get Republicans voting for it. It came down to Mitch not allowing a vote on it but now he doesn't fucking matter in the equation.