• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I have to say, I completely forgot this was a feature for a while, but recently I was playing Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory on my Switch Lite. The primary function of hitting notes in this game is mapped to A, L, and R. The L and R buttons on the Switch Lite are pretty small and not very comfortable to hit in quick succession. But I suddenly remembered that the console had gotten button remapping a couple years back, so I swapped L with ZL and R with ZR and this problem went away entirely. The ZL and ZR buttons are much larger and designed in a way that makes hitting them in quick succession much, much more comfortable. I don't know why Square Enix went with mapping this to L and R other than that they assumed most people would be playing with a Pro controller or on PS4, but either way it was a relatively painless fix and if I ever start my Switch up with another game it asks if I want to reset button mapping. It's a nice feature, glad they added it.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I used it a bit in the CTR trial to map the drift to the ZR / ZL buttons.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I've only really used it once, to remap O to X and X to O when playing the US Version of Bloodborne. I much prefer Dash on X (the japanese layout) over Dash on O (US layout)

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't. Rarely if ever come across a game where I can't get used to the normal mapping.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I sure as heck have. I need my parry blocks to be my triggers.

Used recently is Jedi Fallen Order.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I use it often on PlayStation, but it's always better if devs provide remapping options in the game vs the OS, because OS remapping messes with menu navigation and stupid QTEs (as if I couldn't hate these enough already). So it's a mixed bag.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I use it in Ys games. The default scheme are always ass, for some reason.

I used it in Sekiro too. Remapped the prosthetic tool switching to d-pad up, item use to square, and interact to triangle.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, for Capcom's games - Mega Man ZX Legacy Collection and Onimusha, swapping L/ZL and R/ZR.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Yeah, whenever a shooter doesn't let me map aim and fire to the bumpers instead of the triggers. Just more snappy that way, especially if you've got to fire off anything semi-automatic.

I've made an exception for Warframe on PS5, because the game's largely co-op nature and highly controllable difficulty makes response time less of a priority, and the trigger feedback is fun. Still wish I could make exceptions for certain rapid semi-auto weapons.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I used to use it on PS, but it was a pain to have to go into the menu and swith it around between games.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, when WWE Battlegrounds came out, they thought mashing triggers was a good idea... I changed that quick.

Also, I couldn't win at racing games and I didn't know what it was. Everything just went faster than me. Turned out, my R2 was broken, so while I waited on the replacement, I had to go back to the old days of X to accelerate.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
A few times, but it made navigating through menus a pain in the ass in some games.

It's a nice feature but fully costumizable controls in-game is the way.

I use it in Ys games. The default scheme are always ass, for some reason.

I used it in Sekiro too. Remapped the prosthetic tool switching to d-pad up, item use to square, and interact to triangle.

I think they mean system level button remapping.

Shibi

Oct 25, 2017
I use it quite a bit. But it would become much more useful if I could save profiles per title rather than at a system level. Control issues aren't universal across games.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I do it pretty often when I play games on psnow. Being able to make games use L2 and R2 on ps4 instead of L1 and R1 like on ps3 is much nicer when jumping from newer games to older ones. Also don't know how ps5 handles it but I wish ps4 would let you set button configs for each game and have it auto load that config when starting a game. Sometimes I forget to turn the buttons back after playing psnow haha. But guess I can only hope ps5 gets that in future if it doesn't already.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely, I have all my Switch controllers set to swap A <-> B and X <-> Y. It's crazy how much that improved my experience of playing games on Switch. No more constantly pressing the wrong button. In my mind, everything now just "makes sense".

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
No, but that feature wasn't made for me. It's an accessibility feature and it's nice for those who may need it.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I haven't purely because it's not per game. Really half assed feature and they really should improve on that. There should be a standard interface for configuring your controller settings per game.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
Until it would be able to be game-specific, no, that's too much back and forth to change. However I have noticed more and more games allow you to completely remap controls as opposed to just a handful of presets.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I remap buttons on my Elite Series 2 for 90% of my games. It really is one of those low key goat features. The controller lets you make profiles so it's easy to switch between games.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
I have the A/B, X/Y remapped on my xbox at all times to match the Nintendo layout. I would maybe swap the nintendo options but that's not a choice you get. Going back and forth was a nightmare before.

So I system swapped them, then swapped the actual button covers on the controller to match.

Jul 26, 2018
In games you need to press the L or R stick to run, I remap the stick click to the least used button. This helps me protect my controller from drifting.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I used it not too long ago on Wasteland Remastered on Xbox, where something was mapped in the wrong way. Don't actually remember what it was, but likely some often used function being mapped to the analog stick click. It might have been the camping option and I was trying to spoil the game a little, by using a camping/perception trick to gain XP, making it necessary to press analog button too often, so I just made a different profile to use, while doing the trick.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I have the A/B, X/Y remapped on my xbox at all times to match the Nintendo layout. I would maybe swap the nintendo options but that's not a choice you get. Going back and forth was a nightmare before.

So I system swapped them, then swapped the actual button covers on the controller to match.
You can absolutely customize your buttons on the switch

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Until it would be able to be game-specific, no, that's too much back and forth to change. However I have noticed more and more games allow you to completely remap controls as opposed to just a handful of presets.

I'm surprised they haven't made per-game bindings a thing yet. Steam input seems way ahead in that respect, along with how much more cool stuff you can do than simply moving buttons around.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Is it a static system level thing, or is it profile based. I was totally unaware of this. Either way I guess it doesnt matter, easier to have done it on Xbox than the switch because I dont want to open Joycons.
Static I believe, although you may be able to circumvent this is you have multiple users on your switch.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I've used it on Xbox for games(usually BC) that don't offer inverted Y-axis.

Can't remember a PS4 game that had that problem though so I haven't.

Oct 27, 2017
On ARPGs that don't follow a Souls style trigger attack. Face buttons for attacking has no place in modern systems imo. Otherwise not really.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I've been really loving the remapping within games themselves. Fortnite and Destiny both allow controller remapping and I've definitely made full use of it.

I don't like it on a system level though - each game should have its own option.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Yup. I've used it a couple of times to switch X and O for JP PS4 games. I've also made good use of it on Switch for the Mega Man X Legacy Collection, swapping the shoulders for the triggers.

The next step is to have system level control of the sticks. Fucking madness that we had to wait months for a Mario 3D All-Stars patch that let you play with inverted camera controls.