• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
American comics can be very hard to break into, especially long-running series' like the X-Men.

Despite this, the characters have endured for decades and now - with their return to video games, their inevitable MCU debut and an upcoming fresh start in the comics - they are poised for another resurgence.

If you are at all interested in the team, now is the best time to start reading the comics. My personal favorite modern comics author, Jon Hickman, is set to start a fresh X-Universe of comics in July. He'll be writing a 12 part mini series that sets the stage, then 1 ongoing X-Men comic book that continues his story. He will also be overseeing 2 waves of X-Comics written by others, but guided by his direction, over the year or so.

This means that we are in for a really tight, cohesive set of X-Men comics for the next few years - one with a defined start, middle & mind-blowing ending.

Hickman has gone on record saying you will not need to read anything beforehand, but if you would like to kick off your beach reading with comics, here are some great introductory books that will help set the stage for you:

X-Men: Grand Design - this is a 6-issue retelling of the first 40 years of X-Men continuity. It's just wrapping up, and would serve as a wonderful primer to get to know the history of the X-Men.

79b91d762cfaffc57da012184e1696cc._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Astonishing X-Men - Joss Whedon's highly cinematic, 25-issue run is often touted as one of the best jumping-on points - and for good reason. It's a fun, breezy adventure with a classic core team.

Astonishing-X-Men-Gifted-645x370.png

Amazing X-Men - Jason Aaron's 5-issue mini series about the return of Nightcrawler. The character has been MIA for years, and this story really makes you understand a bit more of the 'family' feel of the team.

Amazing_X-Men_5_Preview_1.jpg

X-Men Red - The most recent book on the list, this is a beautiful 11 issue story centered on Jean Grey. Despite being one of the most popular Marvel characters, she hasn't gotten a lot of time to shine recently. This book rectifies it and serves as a great primer as to why she is such a wonderful character. This is a book steeped in modernity, bringing the core ideals of the X-Men into a world of fake news and growing rightwing radicalization.

bmw603sxyuh11.png

If there's one good thing about all my picks it is that they are straightforward, no event books, no crossovers. Just self-contained stories that you can enjoy, each with a different feel.

So why not jump in, and get excited for July's series refresh!

---------------------------

Bonus OP:

The X-Men are not the only mutants out there, and it is always fun to see the different types of groups that exist around the Marvel Universe. No doubt you'll see some of these characters pop up in Hickman's run:

New Mutants:
Demon Bear Saga (Issues 18-20 from 1984)
Zeb Wells run (Issues 1-21 from 2009)

IMO, the New Mutants embody the 'horror' vibe of mutants and these two books nail it. If you like DOOM (2016) and horror, check these out!

X-Factor: (Issues 1-12 from 2006, then issue 87 from the old series, the 13 from the 2006 series)
What about lower stakes, dirty NYC in the rain noir? Peter David's X-Factor is a blast, and you'll no doubt fall in love with this crew.

20180906._SY540_.png

Last edited:

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
The best time is when Hickman blesses us with his soon to be legendary run.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I know I'm cynical, but I'm probably just going to wait for the trade (or the omnibus). Just been burned so many times.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
As a 90's Jim Lee-era reader - Emma Frost, Magneto, and friggin' Namor were X-Men?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Stupid question from someone who never reads comics., if subscribed to Marvel unlimited would I get access to these comics the day they released?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
As a 90's Jim Lee-era reader - Emma Frost, Magneto, and friggin' Namor were X-Men?
Magneto has been a member of the X-Men off and on since the 80s. Emma Frost became an X-Man after Genosha got bombed by Sentinels; Namor was an X-Men after mutants went nearly extinct. And since he's a mutant and was one of the remaining ones at the time (and Atlantis was under pushback) it made for an obvious alliance. Namor joined the X-Men, the X-Men built their base in the ocean directly on top of the remnants of Atlantis at the time.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

😅
The best time is when Hickman blesses us with his soon to be legendary run.
Just wait for Hickman.

Valid option! But if you haven't read much X-Men in your life, it will be nice to have a deeper fondness for the characters going in.

Read Mike Carey run. The best take on rogue

Terrific run, but not as new reader friendly IMO.

I know I'm cynical, but I'm probably just going to wait for the trade (or the omnibus). Just been burned so many times.

I will get there - but for the 12 issue run I'm gonna be there every week!

Yep - Emma is a GOAT X-Man.

Stupid question from someone who never reads comics., if subscribed to Marvel unlimited would I get access to these comics the day they released?

All of the comics I posted are on MU, but the new Hickman series will be delayed 6 months before it appears on MU.

is that rachel, i assume it is because she's always been a fashion disaster

it's Firestar

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway if you want the real best X-Book of the last decade check out Claremont and Nauck's 2014 Nightcrawler series.

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
😅

Valid option! But if you haven't read much X-Men in your life, it will be nice to have a deeper fondness for the characters going in.

Terrific run, but not as new reader friendly IMO.

I will get there - but for the 12 issue run I'm gonna be there every week!

Yep - Emma is a GOAT X-Man.

All of the comics I posted are on MU, but the new Hickman series will be delayed 6 months before it appears on MU.

it's Firestar
What about comixology? Will it be delayed there?

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
i was lttp to the FF/Avengers Hickman stuff and want to get in at the start this time. To prepare i was originally planning on spending an afternoon watching Comicbookgirl19s 3-part history from the 60s to Dark Phoenix but after this thread i might read through some more current stuff once im finished with going through Doom Patrol (the shows great, watch it btw).

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I might have to give this a shot. My biggest complaint about American comics by far is how they don't seem to have have defined beginnings, middles, and ends, so if this is what you're promising count me in.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Thanks for this!

I need to get myself into the X-men game if I want to be ready for HICKMAN

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the insight, mates. Was always curious about the Namor thing, whereas the others made some sense.

I was young and barely remember most of the 80's-90's comics I read. Would anyone be able to help pinpoint an issue where it's just Wolverine running down the X-Men's top 10 threats to Jubilee and she scoffs at Magneto being ranked so high?

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I might have to give this a shot. My biggest complaint about American comics by far is how they don't seem to have have defined beginnings, middles, and ends, so if this is what you're promising count me in.
Unless there's a bigger writer shakeup, almost any writer's run is more or less written as a beginning, requiring maybe a surface-level familiarity with the major players. If there's something important you need to know, they'll usually bring it up.

Whedon's X-Men book may have continued after he left that book, but the story he wanted to tell very much ends there, even if it's not like the end of the X-Men or those characters.

You can always ask ComicEra "I wanna read ______ book, what do I need to know?" and they'll catch you up to speed, or if there's anything you really need to read beforehand.

Deleted member 279

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good thread, ill check em out.

Read lots of comics 10 years back but aside from one short spurt a few years back, ive been wanting to start but havn't pulled the trigger. Recently signed up on some of the comic apps like comixology and Marvel Unlimited.

I'm going to put these on my list and read up.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I'll wait for that miniseries to be collected and then just cop the trades every few months from Hickman's run. Hell nah to the spinoff comics but I'm excited to read this series.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Hickman's last two Marvel runs (Fantastic Four & Avengers) had very clear arcs and excellent endings.

What are the rosters for the new books?

Really not sure. We know we see:

Charles
Scott
Jean
Eric
Logan

on the cover of #1. We see Orroro, Kurt , Hisako & Bobby Drake inside the issue as well.

We also know Sam & Roberto are NOT involved.

Wasn't Grand Design just 2 issues?

It is three sets of 2 issues: the 60s, 70s & 80s.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Technically Giant Sized X-Men #1 was the best time.

But time travel doesn't exist so.

I call foul on that not being on your reading list or any of Claremont's foundation, of everything we know and love about X-Men, run.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
Winnick's Exiles run and Peter David's 05 X-Factor run are my two favorite mutant runs of all time.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Ok jon bones help me out! I want to get Grand Design... and I am trying to navigate how many there are.

I see a trade that collects Grand Design 1&2, a trade that collects Grand Design Second Genesis 1&2, and then... what else is there? X-Tinction? Is that that latest?So 5 of the 6 books are out there?

When I was probably around 11 or 12... I got this issue for Christmas with a few others and I was hooked on comics and mostly the X-men (and New Mutants) for years and years afterwards. Some of the best story arcs I can remember. I really hope Hickman delivers because it has been a while since I have really enjoyed the team like I used to.

27132-3092-30103-1-uncanny-x-men-the.jpg

Already have House/Powers on my list at my local shop, along with the Connecting Variant covers by Mark Brooks

wRBKWEq.jpg
sAcgTWR.jpg

Last edited:

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
The previous thread about this got me back on my bullshit after around 7 years of hiatus from comics. X-Men have always been my main shit but I stopped feeling it after Bendis took over post-AvX and quit the medium cold turkey. I'm told I haven't missed much of note in the years I was away, so was planning on jumping on with Hickman's run.

Hickman was a dude I always heard was amazing, but he was writing books for teams I didn't care so much about (FF and Avengers) so I'd never really gotten to experience why he's that special first hand. Changing that now thanks to Dalek posting a Hickman reading list I jumped onto Marvel Unlimited and started making my way thru his stuff now. Barely made a dent in it so far. It's a lot of god damned comics

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
see a trade that collects Grand Design 1&2, a trade that collects Grand Design Second Genesis 1&2, and then... what else is there? X-Tinction? Is that that latest?So 5 of the 6 books are out there?

The order is:
Grand Design
Second Genesis
X-Tinction

Each is 2 issues (~120 pages), even if the Amazon description is a bit off for the last one

Oct 25, 2017
I've been wanting to get back into X-Men, and adjacent factions, but have had no clue where to begin. I was going to look for a Claremont reading list, but maybe I'll just use the recap series suggested.

Side note: how good is the Marvel Unlimited app now? Every time I've used it in the past it's been kind of crappy for me.

Last edited:

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Giant size X-men 1 and Uncanny X-men 94 is where you start

May 9, 2019
Honestly read all of Chris Claremont's run. It's the definitive X-men run and you will learn so much things from there that current runs still look back on. It's just too good to skip.

Comics are hard to get into but they're not THAT hard as people love to complain about. We live in the age of internet. Seriously, there's websites and youtube videos that can help you out and many forums like this if you need help getting into them.

Tabs2002

Feb 1, 2018
I haven't enjoyed the last 10 years. It's time the x-books moved on from nostalgia and extinction. Hopefully Hickman delivers. There's so much that can be done with the mutant metaphor.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'll be adding more books to the OP, so as people finish, they can start dipping into other small stories if they'd like.

THANK YOU for this thread, @jon bones

Happy to share in the excitement!

Honestly read all of Chris Claremont's run. It's the definitive X-men run and you will learn so much things from there that current runs still look back on. It's just too good to skip.

Comics are hard to get into but they're not THAT hard as people love to complain about. We live in the age of internet. Seriously, there's websites and youtube videos that can help you out and many forums like this if you need help getting into them.
dont stop there and just go back and read the original claremont run

Accessibility is important - Claremont's run is timeless, no doubt about it, but this thread is about giving people a short, modern, accessible set of books that they can quickly consume to help flesh out the X-World.

did they finally get rid of the teenage versions of jean and the others from the past

Yes, teenage version were booted back to their time & memories wiped. Scott, Kurt, Logan, Jean, etc are all alive and are the versions you know and love. They're basically resetting the clock so Hickman has a clean slate to work with.

Oct 25, 2017
The only really good x-books in the last few years have been Taylor's X-men Red and All New Wolverine and the Grand Design books. Blue was good at the beginning but the mainline books have been a bit average.

Wait for the Hickman titles.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, OP! I've been getting a bit disillusioned with Marvel constantly soft rebooting the X-Men series over the past few years, it'll be nice to have something with more of a plan behind it.