• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's because your bananas are fucking GARBAGE.
I never understood why so many people here disliked or outright hated bananas whenever we had a fruit thread. But now that I'm living in North America and tried a few bananas it makes sense to me.

Every single banana I ate here was:
1. WAAAY too "soft". The consistency was just wrong.
2. ABSURDLY sweet. What the hells up with that? Why do I fee like getting diabetes from eating one banana?
3. They just taste wrong.

I sincerely pity my North American brothers and sisters that had to deal with this garbage all their lives. Maybe one day we'll all be saved from bad bananas.

tldr: I miss good bananas so much

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I like bananas but they get old too fast and sometimes it even gives me the runs

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I like them when they're still a bit green. Overripe bananas are disgusting though.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Where are these good bananas you speak of?

I enjoy some bananas more than others but your criteria for a bad one sounds like the ones I love. sweet and soft bananas are awesome. A banana isn't worth eating until the peel gets a few black spots.

Maybe you should try eating them before they ripen. You'd probabaly like those.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
They give me stomach ache and the suger to fiber to vitiman ratio is kinda trash which explains it.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Banana haters of Era reveal yourselves so that you may suffer my scorned eyebrows at the computer screen.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
There's like a 30-minute window where they're just ripe enough to be good. The rest of a banana's existence is pointless.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very interested in knowing where these not absurdly sweet bananas are at.

Bananas (at least here in the US) are junk food that brings fruit flies into your home. Haven't bought any in years, and I never plan to again. Literally every fruit is better. (Greenish bananas are okay, I'll admit. But they still feel like a fuckton of simple carbs at once and are still coated in fruit fly eggs.)

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bananas are delicious both 'as they are' and also as an ingredient in Banoffee Pie.

But if you don't freeze them and then use them as a base for a smoothie you are a fucking fool

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
You don't buy them ripe. You need to have some patience, but don't wait too long either.

They should teach prime banana time in schools.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where are these good bananas you speak of?

I enjoy some bananas more than others but your criteria for a bad one sounds like the ones I love. sweet and soft bananas are awesome. A banana isn't worth eating until the peel gets a few black spots.

Maybe you should try eating them before they ripen. You'd probabaly like those.
I'm very interested in knowing where these not absurdly sweet bananas are at.

Bananas (at least here in the US) are junk food that brings fruit flies into your home. Haven't bought any in years, and I never plan to again. Literally every fruit is better.
I'm from Brazil.
Also another thing I've noticed, bananas here are also super hard to twist out of the stem. The bananas I know are only hard to get them out when they're green. The greener they are the harder it is to separate them.
Here? I have to basically fight with the banana, and when I unpeel it they're not green.
And no, I'm not eating overripe bananas. Even the super ripe bananas in Brazil are better than any bananas I ate here.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I love bananas and try to have one every morning, but yes, you can get very sick from ingesting too much potassium.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yeah bananas are great (speaking as an European). Generally speaking from my travels to America I feel you guys are missing out on quite a bit of good shit over there

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
I don't buy bananas anymore because if I don't eat them within 7 minutes of getting them home they get too ripe.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Banana's are Walmarts single best selling item, so I don't think you can argue that "so many people in North America hate bananas".

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I like bananas. No issues with NA bananas. They taste good from the moment they lose that hint of green or right around when they get a some black spots, but not enough to effect the inside. Never had a problem peeling or separating them from the stem.

I look forward to my banana after working out.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know people hated bananas. To me, bananas are the best example that god loves us

But, yeah, most bananas you buy at a bulk/discount/non-premium super market are the genetically modified bananas from the last century, maximum amount of flesh, ripen quickly, stay ripe way longer than they're suppose to, very soft, lack a lot of the flavor that made bananas edible and nutritious in the first place, etc. You can still get "good bananas" or more natural bananas from most average super markets, and definitely from premium markets, just not like Walmart, Aldi, or the discount/bulk super markets.

Bananas have suffered the same fate as strawberries, blueberries, chicken, and basically every food product most non-wealthy people consume on a day to day basis.

There's a good book from ~2016 or 2017 about this food phenomenon

ZMXnR5Cl.png

Bananas are gross but banana base products like drinks, muffins, cakes, etc are delicious.

I'm the opposite, I like bananas but HATE banana flavored things. Similar with lemons. I like lemons, but really don't like lemon flavored candies or sweets.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bananas are best when they are just barely ripe. The green mostly faded but maybe still a tiny bit there. No sign of any brown dots yet.

Still firm, not oversweet. Perfect.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Used to, I thought my digestive system must've changed to become intolerant of bananas, which I used to enjoy, but haven't been able to eat for many years without getting the runs. But now I'm thinking my digestive system has stayed the same, it's the bananas that got shittier.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Love bananas. But I've never had a North-American one, I think.

Edit: apparently the ones they sell here typically come from Central and South America. Mostly Equador, Colombia and Costa Rica.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bananas are good but only when perfectly ripe or when used as an ingredient. That mushy brown shit isn't going in my mouth

Oct 27, 2017
I was also under the impression that almost all of the world's bananas are now a cultivated variant that kind of sucks, banana-wise, but is resistant to banana diseases.