• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
If I don't have to boot into apex every time and could just start ranked/trios matchmaking with one button push in the ps5 menu, that'd be cool.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
Can someone give me a better understanding of a practical use case?
You boot up your PS5 and you have an icon that says "Gran Turismo - Daily Race starts in 3 minutes"; you click on it and you're directly in the lobby picking your car, ready to start the online race.
It basically bypasses the need to boot the games to access specific modes/sections. The idea would be that you could choose what you want in your home screen.

Karthane

Mar 20, 2018
I'm hoping that trophies will be able to track trophy progression via the OS and not just relying on the game

OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
In this case you don't have to enter the game to join a race.
But this can apply in different scenarios, both in SP or MP games, for example, in a fighting game you could choose your character in the OS and enter the game while searching for an online match already with your chosen character, without having to navigate through the menus.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this was something teased in that Wired article last year:

Screenshot_2020-07-28_at_10.15.37.png

This is kind of a big deal. I doubt it will work for any backwards compat games and I heavily doubt most games will have this feature but I can only pray. It definitely puts the PS5 back in my radar for a possible day one purchase...but I still have my reservations.

Good that this developer is taking the first step into implementing it.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
We've heard this before, though this is a little extra nugget of detail on how that feature can work.

It's one of the reasons why I don't think it's necessary for Sony to reserve space on the PS5's SSD for RAM states. Theoretically every game should be able to boot itself and directly load a standard game save file within some acceptably small amount of time.

Kind of, until now we didn't know about any gaming using this integration, and this is a crossgen game, so hopefully more devs will use this.
I think once a few games start using it and it's clear to players how fast it is to get to an arbitrary point in the game, it'll start becoming standard.

Isn't the showing of logos written in the contract? Or they find a loophole to get around it?
It's already possible for players to get around those this generation - you can boot up a game and (assuming your console doesn't crash) play through it and suspend every time you're done - you'll see the logos and such just once.

I think most games will end up showing the logos on first startup and then maybe only on rare occasions in future. It may be that as a consequence, the logos that appear the first time appear for longer or something, to balance out the reduction in the number of times they'll be seen.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If I don't have to boot into apex every time and could just start ranked/trios matchmaking with one button push in the ps5 menu, that'd be cool.
it'd be kool if you could que for a match, and a little window pops up on the UI but you stay in the OS. As soon as the match starts you are taken into the game.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This is kind of a big deal. I doubt it will work for any backwards compat games and I heavily doubt most games will have this feature but I can only pray. It definitely puts the PS5 back in my radar for a possible day one purchase...but I still have my reservations.

Good that this developer is taking the first step into implementing it.
i would love if they had something built in where people could make their own shortcuts, like if the API allows for the game to allow for that where they expose the modes to users etc and make their own. but prob may not be the case, or the system sees and tracks certain activities you do and suggests shortcuts for you.

Oct 29, 2017
Pretty cool possibilities there. I'll be interested to see what devs actually do with it. I can also see it becoming one of those neat sounding features that falls by the wayside after the launch year if devs never bother to implement it.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
At the minute if you want to play a specific multiplayer game or mode you have to load up the game, go into multiplayer and then do a search for your preferred option before joining it.

The implication here is that you can see what modes/rounds are about to start from the console's home screen, press a button and within a couple of seconds (with the speed of the SSD) you can be straight into the lobby of a game that's about to begin. For a lot of games that could turn a 2-4 minute process from launching the game to actually playing into just a few seconds.

A hypothetical example would be if you were to play Factions in TLoU. At the minute you have to load up the game, choose 'Factions' go into that, go through the matchmaking process and then wait for the game to load up so you can actually start playing. In theory with this you could see what rounds/maps are about to start in the next 30 seconds from the OS, choose it and be in the lobby ready for the game to start shortly in a matter of seconds. It could turn multiplayer into a casual drop-in/drop-out activity when you have a few spare minutes.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017

This! for me lol
I was just bout booting up apex and i literally imagined this scenario, Straight into Firing range from startup so i can warm up a lot more in between sessions

The only thing that would hold this back if implemented, from being 5 seconds into a game has to be matchmaking?

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I like this, like queueing up for a crucible game, straight from the dashboard.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017

It comes down to ease. Potentially:
You see your friend playing Call of Duty online. You press a single button to join his game without even starting up the game.

You're playing Skyrim, and maybe you could load your save instantly with quests showing up in the OS.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they put a lot of resources into making this load instantly. I feel like more often than not the PS4 "game info" pages or whatever you call them that fetch remote content from the developer/publisher takes ages to load.

benhan

Oct 30, 2017
How crazy is it that I'm more hyped to see the UI and OS integrations more than I am for any new games at the moment?

Imagine with Destiny 2 you see in the OS that your friend is in a certain area. You could click a "join" button and (practically) instantly be there with them without having to boot the game, go to the menu, find the friends list, click join, etc.
And you can imagine all of these instant join/switch/load will push us toward Digital Edition PS5... without the need to exchange discs.
Evil Sony plan will work at $399...😏

Oct 27, 2017
My expectation was that there will be some system level hooks to jump right into doing specific things with minimal friction similar to how easy it it is to jump in to play Destiny with friends for example.

Having API hooks to be able to offer it as a feature for every game (if it makes sense for the game), and an ultra fast SSD to kill almost any wait times (bar networking) would be an excellent feature/experience though.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
i would love if they had something built in where people could make their own shortcuts, like if the API allows for the game to allow for that where they expose the modes to users etc and make their own. but prob may not be the case, or the system sees and tracks certain activities you do and suggests shortcuts for you.
I think that sounds exactly like the kind of thing that's possible. The system itself won't know how to handle any particular game, so it'll rely on the games to create these integration points and expose them to the system. That should allow games to let players create them too.

Remember as well that there's a patent that suggests that players will be able to share game states with other players. That would likely use this mechanism (and also be one of the reasons why the Share button was renamed the Create button).

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Xbox try this with communities? Maybe this is a deeper integration, but I don't really see OS-level being that useful, unless it's literally a button where you can jump into a match of Call of Duty seamlessly and skip boot-up otherwise.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Imagine with Destiny 2 you see in the OS that your friend is in a certain area. You could click a "join" button and (practically) instantly be there with them without having to boot the game, go to the menu, find the friends list, click join, etc.

That sounds great but what about disc-based games? Will it ask you to insert the disc first or will there be a change so the disc in the drive isn't needed anymore?

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
When will Sony finally reveal the UI and deep dive into the rest of the hardware? Microsoft has already done it, so it's not like they're still playing a game of chicken, like with the price.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Didn't Xbox try this with communities? Maybe this is a deeper integration, but I don't really see OS-level being that useful, unless it's literally a button where you can jump into a match of Call of Duty seamlessly and skip boot-up otherwise.
That's the plan. Unfortunately, it will be something third parties have to embrace. However, seeing that WRC is third party, at least one is. If Sony makes it easy enough to integrate with the OS, they hopefully should.

That sounds great but what about disc-based games? Will it ask you to insert the disc first or will there be a change so the disc in the drive isn't needed anymore?

You will pretty much have to insert the disc, almost a guarantee. It's an incentive to go digital.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
That's emulation level of "state loading" so to speak. Incredible. But it certainly makes logical sense when tied to the SSD magic.

Oct 25, 2017
In addition to being convenient and fast, if they really develop this thoroughly it makes an incredibly strong case for buying digital over physical. Smart stuff.

edit: beaten by transistor (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
My sleep deprived early morning brain was reading "choose and enter a race directly from the console" as if Sony had implemented system-level ethnicity selection for some bizarre reason 😴.

This reminds me a bit of how Steam let you view the Counter-Strike/Half-Life server list and launch directly into matches from the Steam client itself.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
That's the plan. Unfortunately, it will be something third parties have to embrace. However, seeing that WRC is third party, at least one is. If Sony makes it easy enough to integrate with the OS, they hopefully should.
Yeah, you nailed it. If devs embrace this widely, it could redefine how people play multiplayer games (probably less useful for single player stuff).

benhan

Oct 30, 2017
speed kills baby. but yeah i think sony taking the angle of immersion(3D audio, new controller features), getting people back into the game as fast as possible and general QOL with games is a huge plus vs just talking power alone. I honestly think them spending more time and effort into the SSD, and Controller are going to pay off of them with the belief of generations. I like what they are looking to accomplish.
They have a clear plan, believe in it, and deliver consistent and focused message. So far the only "misstep" was the Road to PlayStation 5 video (even though I like it), but it was due to Covid-19. Sony marketing for PS5 has been really good so far, no wonder they're so confident with ramping up production prior to launch. And you know they're so good especially after you compared it with Xbox's marketing.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, you nailed it. If devs embrace this widely, it could redefine how people play multiplayer games (probably less useful for single player stuff).
Even SP games would benefit. With GoT I have to boot up the game them select continue. With this I can just select continue game on the os screen.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
As long as it doesn't crowd my home ui or make it slower I'm down for stuff like this.
My thoughts exactly! If this is implemented intuitively and nearly then I'm all for this. Stuff like this, instant resume, quick load times are my most looked forward to aspects of this upcoming gen

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
The PS4 had this but nothing used it besides maybe Killzone so maybe they'll make it easier to implement/surface.

Came to point this out, yeah. Unfortunately the whole "Agent Smith your way into this online match/level" idea can't work when the PS4 takes 2-3 minutes to load a game. Can't wait for that low-friction fast-loading SSD experience.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

I'm hoping there'll be an extra impetus with the speed of loading, aswell. When load times could be in the minutes before, the extra time spent booting a game or navigating menus in-game might have seemed incremental. When load times can be low seconds or less, those 'cruft' activities start to become an outsized part of the equation.

So I'm hoping there'll be a big push on this. And I've a feeling it might also be in the developers' interests from a discoverability/engagement point of view - if the OS surfaces activities to the user in a very prominent way, or it becomes a big focal point for people in the UI, you'll want your game to be able to plug into that and offer people stuff to do, I'd guess. Doubly so if you have designs on your game being part of PSNow or streamable - this kind of stuff seems perfect for PSNow going forward. It won't hurt your game in that context to be as low-friction as possible to get to actual gameplay.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like console gaming in 2021 is going to be so much better than than it is now in every way, yet we are stuck in this covid riddled holding pattern using weak CPUs and HDDs tech from 20 years ago.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
You will pretty much have to insert the disc, almost a guarantee. It's an incentive to go digital.

Pity. That would be a little but big thing if they could do that. Fully installing games to the HDD but still needing the disc in has always niggled. I get why but hoped they could come up with a solution.

More reasons to go full digital :P

Can't see myself going full digital any time soon given how it works and operates right now.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to the State of Play (or whatever), where they will show off the OS.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for all the great examples. Hopefully there will be also applications for single player games.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
They have a clear plan, believe in it, and deliver consistent and focused message. So far the only "misstep" was the Road to PlayStation 5 video (even though I like it), but it was due to Covid-19. Sony marketing for PS5 has been really good so far, no wonder they're so confident with ramping up production prior to launch. And you know they're so good especially after you compared it with Xbox's marketing.
yeah that video was more for the technical folks, vs the layman there. but ever since then they have been very deliberate and methodical with their messaging, and i know a lot of us hate how quiet they are but I think in these times you absolutely have to be precise in messaging since less people can get their actual hands on things right now.