• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Being able to choose and enter a race directly from the OS is incredible.
EeAysQvXYAAglh9

Via Gematsu:

And ZhugeEX says that we should hear more about this soon ™ .

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting, a leak at the beginning of the year talked about something similar, if I recall correctly (it may have been an interview)

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
finally some possible new ps5 feature news. we're possibly months away from launch and sony out here being quiet as much as they can.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Is this really new info? I'm not really following the PS5 (or XSX) stuff too much, but iirc i've definitely heard about such a feature before.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
This would work with an os integrated more deeply with an ssd, no? I mean, the biggest change for an ssd on Windows (for me) was boot times and is speed.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
not sure about that specific feature, especially in more of career orientated titled like this, but i'm really looking forward to wrc9

edit: nm, got a better idea what this is from that wired blurb.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
Reminds me of being able to boot directly into multiplayer on Killzone Shadow Fall. I think that was the only game with that feature on PS4.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Not having to go through multiple different loading screens and menus before finally actually getting into the game would definitely be a great QoL feature.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This was the feature we've all been praying for since hinted at in Wired. What it also hints at is a complete bypass of normal game "boot" features like showing licensed technologies and legal boilerplate. It's possible they've moved that to an OS level info screen instead. This would be huge, and let people dive directly into a point in a game in just seconds.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 had this but nothing used it besides maybe Killzone so maybe they'll make it easier to implement/surface.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of being able to boot directly into multiplayer on Killzone Shadow Fall. I think that was the only game with that feature on PS4.
i can't remember if it was on PS3 or PS4 but i'm sure some of the call of duty games have the option to boot straight into the multiplayer section too

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
This would work with an os integrated more deeply with an ssd, no? I mean, the biggest change for an ssd on Windows (for me) was boot times and is speed.

well, also just various hooks the OS has with the game application. For example, if you're playing The Last of Us 2; why do I first need to boot up the game, wait for loading, 'press any button', select 'story', select 'continue'? Sony's 'Activities' solution sounds like it will bypass some of that. So it could be possible that for TLOU2 I can just click 'continue story' from the OS and start playing.

luoapp

Oct 27, 2017
This was the feature we've all been praying for since hinted at in Wired. What it also hints at is a complete bypass of normal game "boot" features like showing licensed technologies and legal boilerplate. It's possible they've moved that to an OS level info screen instead. This would be huge, and let people dive directly into a point in a game in just seconds.

Isn't the showing of logos written in the contract? Or they find a loophole to get around it?

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017

Isn't the point of those screens to show it off to people who play the game, no way it allows it to bypass it completely at all times.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I hope devs support this feature really well because it sounds great. Between this, the SSD load times, and the ability to keep multiple games suspended at once, I don't want to have to load into a Title Menu ever again.

plow

Oct 28, 2017

It could also very well be, that the first time you start up the game, you'll se all the licensed technologies etc. But after the first bootup, the remaining "bootups" it instantly gets to the point where you left.

We basically already have something similar with the "Standby" Mode on PS4, with the difference that you can't switch games. But i can very well finish Ghost of Tushima without having seen the first Loading screen twice.

benhan

Oct 30, 2017
They really do not waste time in launching the new SSD-related new features of PS5. All the claims of being the fastest console ever indeed have ground.
Jim Ryan is really good at marketing, you can feel how organized Sony in releasing information bits by bits leading to pre-order. The August State of Play will be massive, I guess they will reveal more about the UI and all new features of PS5.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Honestly think this would be a good showing for call of duty
Booting straight into a TDM matchmaking session in 3 to 5 seconds sounds really good lol or battle royales, Just have a box saying 'your friend is queuing and you can join in in 3 seconds'

Imagine GTAO without all that loading.. wow.

benhan

Oct 30, 2017
And for fighting game. I really hate the loading time, match making, char selection, stage selection, and then a minute of loading time. Imagine if you can do all of that from the OS in just a few clicks...

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
They really do not waste time in launching the new SSD-related new features of PS5. All the claims of being the fastest console ever indeed have ground.
Jim Ryan is really good at marketing, you can feel how organized Sony in releasing information bits by bits leading to pre-order. The August State of Play will be massive, I guess they will reveal more about the UI and all new features of PS5.
speed kills baby. but yeah i think sony taking the angle of immersion(3D audio, new controller features), getting people back into the game as fast as possible and general QOL with games is a huge plus vs just talking power alone. I honestly think them spending more time and effort into the SSD, and Controller are going to pay off of them with the belief of generations. I like what they are looking to accomplish.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
And for fighting game. I really hate the loading time, match making, char selection, stage selection, and then a minute of loading time. Imagine if you can do all of that from the OS in just a few clicks...
Can someone give me a better understanding of a practical use case?
right, or setup something like apple has, where you could make your own custom shortcuts to things you do in game all the time. instead of me having to go and click on madden, pick exhibition, pick online head to head, it takes me directly to that screen. deep linking and activities has huge potential.

Or just games have set activities that you may do, and instead of you having to click through different menus you can get directly to that deathmatch lobby, or game lobby etc.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds really cool. Imagine matchmaking in CoD while still in the ps5 OS then loading in the match in 1-5 sec

Madrugador

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This sounds great. Hopefully some games will let you challenge a friend and take you directly to the challenge.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
It gives an example in the OP. It could for example show you a certain race, you press join and after a few seconds of loading you're in that race. Or for example in a shooter it might just give you the option to start searching for a Team Deatchmatch game without having to go through all the other menus first.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Think they'd already mentioned this before but the idea of seeing stuff like what races in GT are available or if your favourite mode & map in CoD/BF are about to start without having to go into the actual games and then loading straight into them in a couple of seconds from the OS would be a big step forward in multiplayer games.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
If I had to take a stab at it, since I'm playing Ghosts of Tsushima right now, I can imagine some of the "mission/tale" titles that show up in the in-game menu would also show up on the PS5 home screen, and instead of booting the game, going to the menu, selecting a location to fast-travel to and starting a mission, I would imagine you could just select the mission from the PS5 home screen and go straight there without having to first boot the game.

EDIT: Holy run-on sentences. Let me approach this again:

If I had to take a stab at it, since I'm playing Ghosts of Tsushima right now: I can imagine some of the "mission/tale" titles that show up in the in-game menu would also show up on the PS5 home screen. Instead of having to boot the game, go to the menu, select a location to fast-travel to and start a mission, I would imagine you would instead be able to select the mission from the PS5 home screen and go straight there without having to first boot the game.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
How crazy is it that I'm more hyped to see the UI and OS integrations more than I am for any new games at the moment?

Imagine with Destiny 2 you see in the OS that your friend is in a certain area. You could click a "join" button and (practically) instantly be there with them without having to boot the game, go to the menu, find the friends list, click join, etc.