• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The AP has reported on what Biden is planning with regards to protecting and advancing LGBTQ rights when he becomes President:

Biden plans swift moves to protect and advance LGBTQ rights (apnews.com)

November 28, 2020

As vice president in 2012, Joe Biden endeared himself to many LGBTQ Americans by endorsing same-sex marriage even before his boss, President Barack Obama.

Now, as president-elect, Biden is making sweeping promises to LGBTQ activists, proposing to carry out virtually every major proposal on their wish lists. Among them: Lifting the Trump administration's near-total ban on military service for transgender people, barring federal contractors from anti-LGBTQ job discrimination, and creating high-level LGBTQ-rights positions at the State Department, the National Security Council and other federal agencies.

In many cases the measures would reverse executive actions by President Donald Trump, whose administration took numerous steps to weaken protections for transgender people and create more leeway for discrimination against LGBTQ people, ostensibly based on religious grounds.

In a policy document, the Biden campaign said Trump and Vice President Mike Pence "have given hate against LGBTQ+ individuals safe harbor and rolled back critical protections."

Beyond executive actions he can take unilaterally, Biden says his top legislative priority for LGBTQ issues is the Equality Act, passed by the House of Representatives last year but stalled in the Senate. It would extend to all 50 states the comprehensive anti-bias protections already afforded to LGBTQ people in 21 mostly Democratic-governed states, covering such sectors as housing, public accommodations and public services.

Biden says he wants the act to become law within 100 days of taking office, but its future remains uncertain.
Assuming the bill passes again in the House, it would need support from several Republicans in the Senate, even if the Democrats gain control by winning two runoff races in Georgia. For now, Susan Collins of Maine is the only GOP co-sponsor in the Senate.

Some of Biden's other promises:

— Appoint an array of LGBTQ people to federal government positions. There's wide expectation that Biden will nominate an LGBTQ person to a Cabinet post,
with former presidential contender Pete Buttigieg among the possibilities.

Reverse Trump administration policies carving out religious exemptions allowing discrimination against LGBTQ people by social service agencies, health care providers, adoption and foster care agencies and other entities.

Reinstate Obama administration guidance directing public schools to allow transgender students to access bathrooms, locker rooms and sports teams in accordance with their gender identity. The Trump administration revoked this guidance.

Allocate federal resources to help curtail violence against transgender people, particularly transgender women of color. Rights groups say at least 38 transgender or gender-nonconforming people have been killed in the U.S. this year.

Support legislative efforts to ban so-called conversion therapy for LGBTQ minors.

Bolster federal efforts to collect comprehensive data about LGBTQ people in the U.S. by adding questions about sexual orientation and gender identity to national surveys.

Ensure that LGBTQ rights are a priority for U.S. foreign policy and be prepared to use pressure tactics, including sanctions, against foreign governments violating those rights.

Discussion guidelines

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Thread rebooted

Official Staff Communication
To say that we're extremely disappointed at the direction the previous thread went in is an understatement. Instead of a thread discussing Biden's upcoming policies to protect LGBTQ folks, it very quickly became mudslinging between different groups over political arguments while throwing minorities under the bus.

As a result of that, a few reminders and rules for this new thread:
  • This thread is about Biden's LGBTQ policies, not his general policies. DO NOT come in here with your half-assed general political takes that are only vaguely on topic.
  • Drive-bys will not be tolerated, even if they have some degree of relevance to the topic. If you make an argument, be prepared to discuss it. If you're not willing or able to discuss it, don't post.
  • Do not throw LGBTQs or other minorities under the bus, especially that of fellow members.
  • In general, remember to assume good faith of others participating in this thread. If you think someone's breaking the rules, report them and move on.

Failure to adhere to these reminders and rules will result in you being actioned severely.

Yayate

Banned
Feb 8, 2018
Thank god.

I'm happy my rights are being protected and I wont have to die.

Even if he isnt perfect, please appreciate how much this can mean to the most vulnerable of us.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good stuff. Now I hope the legislative protections being blocked in the Senate may come to pass.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
Trump's presidency was a stark reality check for many LGB Americans that everything we've gained in the last decade or so can just as easily be taken away (didn't say T because trans folks have always known that). So happy to see someone with pro-LGBTQ policies taking office. And pretty historic, since to my knowledge Biden is the first president to embrace these views pre-taking office?

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Really great commitment, very happy for everyone in the US who have managed to survive the last 4 years and can now breathe and not worry about their rights being stripped away.

Nov 27, 2019
Even if they were empty platitudes (not that I think that they are), still vastly preferable to an administration that's openly hostile to my existence.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Trump's presidency was a stark reality check for many LGB Americans that everything we've gained in the last decade or so can just as easily be taken away (didn't say T because trans folks have always known that). So happy to see someone with pro-LGBTQ policies taking office. And pretty historic, since to my knowledge Biden is the first president to embrace these views pre-taking office?

For sure. How many people thought Obergefell settled things. It's a terrible truth that we have to stay vigilant else we'll see how quickly some are willing to roll rights backward.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you admin/mod team for rebooting this thread.

I was both upset and depressed seeing what direction the previous thread went into.

I am very happy that Biden has a good action plan for protecting and advancing LGBTQ rights, I'm also very glad to see that Biden wants to reverse the last 4 years of Trump with regards to LGBTQ rights.

madstarr12

Jan 25, 2018
I hope that with Biden as president, the general vibe of the country feels much better towards the community.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Aint that the truth. Lots of people just don't get how easily stuff can be taken away by groups that absolutely loathe you. These protections are essential, especially for us trans folks.

One day, hopefully, if any of my descendants are trans, they won't have to face the level of discrimination I faced. They won't get turned down from a job because of their name. They won't be discriminated against because of their voice. They won't be denied basic legal rights and protections that others enjoy just because of bullcrap religious and sexist arguments made against them.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
For sure. How many people thought Obergefell settled things. It's a terrible truth that we have to stay vigilant else we'll see how quickly some are willing to roll rights backward.
Yeah, the end goal is always to have these rights enshrined in legislation. And even then the fight's never really over, but legislation is a massive milestone nonetheless.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they'll get actual legislation done now? (though who knows what with the Senate being what it is...)

Looking from outside the States, relying on court decisions and presidential orders always seemed a little shaky.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
Rights must be enshrined and unable to be changed by future "presidents"

trump has done untold damage, what a horrible person he was

Oct 26, 2017
This is great news, I'm very happy for all my LGBTQ+ friends. This is one of the biggest reasons I was happy to vote for Biden, it was awful what the last administration was doing to them.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Maybe they'll get actual legislation done now? (though who knows what with the Senate being what it is...)

Looking from outside the States, relying on court decisions and presidential orders always seemed a little shaky.

Court decisions are important and are always a source of law in the United States. Well, any common law country, really.

I don't see any legislation passing anytime soon, unfortunately.

Aint that the truth. Lots of people just don't get how easily stuff can be taken away by groups that absolutely loathe you. These protections are essential, especially for us trans folks.

One day, hopefully, if any of my descendants are trans, they won't have to face the level of discrimination I faced. They won't get turned down from a job because of their name. They won't be discriminated against because of their voice. They won't be denied basic legal rights and protections that others enjoy just because of bullcrap religious and sexist arguments made against them.

Absolutely. The protections need to be enshrined into law.

Though, I would say Obergefell did help people become more accepting of gay marriage.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I certainly appreciate the change in tone, but I'm not holding my breath for anything meaningful to be accomplished via EO besides re-establishing Obama era norms. I hope I'm proven wrong.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Again second verse same as the first, I hope he can get this all done and through.

My decision that I needed to do something about status was put on hold thanks to fear of losing my disability and healthcare, so I can breathe now.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I certainly appreciate the change in tone, but I'm not holding my breath for anything meaningful to be accomplished via EO besides re-establishing Obama era norms. I hope I'm proven wrong.
I mean this is an issue that really needs legislation to properly address. All the proposed actions are good though, and at least send a message that the admin doesn't tolerate discrimination which is good and definitely a huge improvement over the status quo.

The stuff about sanctions is meh, that's going to be applied extremely arbitrarily and only affect countries who the US is already at odds with, even though there are plenty of US 'allies' who are the worst offenders when it comes to the treatment of LGBTQ+ people (Saudi Arabia comes to mind). However, that's true of literally all US sanctions policy so it's not an issue specific to LGBTQ+ rights. Personally I'd rather see an increased commitment to funding foreign NGOs that protect LGBTQ rights and an increase in the number of refugees we take in facing sexual or gender identity discrimination over some arbitrary sanctions policy, but who knows maybe the Biden admin will get there eventually.

As far as domestic policy goes these proposals are all great and will provide a lot of relief for people, at least I hope. I think this is one pretty clear way in which Biden is an improvement over Obama, in that he is much more openly supportive of LGBTQ+ people. One could say that's because of shifting public perception around these issues, but tbh he was ahead of Obama even when he was Vice President on this stuff so credit where it's due and all that.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Biden is like a breath of fresh air after the Trump farts in the elevator. He seems to recognise human rights.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see the thread re-boot and, again, glad to see that the Biden admin is looking to make strides to fix some Trump era bullshit and hopefully push forward LGBTQ rights here and abroad. I'd love to see some trans folks get high level appointments in this administration.

Yayate

Banned
Feb 8, 2018
Wow, I got my first callout post, I'm so proud. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Man I guess I'm centre-right for being happy I don't have to die and getting pissed at other people for dismissing how much this means to those most marginalized in the United States. I don't want to ramble on off-topic situations, but this pertains exactly to this thread and how this is overwhelmingly good news. And no, I didn't say that someone that's bisexual isn't LGBT enough.

I want to reaffirm that; yes, if my icon didn't make it obvious enough, I'm trans. The amount of damage the transgender community has taken over the last four years is overwhelmingly awful. We haven't been dealing with the situation very well. I know a lot of fellow trans people that have been under an insane amount of duress for the past 4 years. All of this is kind of a big deal. I don't think Biden is the perfect candidate, and I doubt anyone here does. We have lost so many of our own kind to suicide, and even more of us have been plagued with thoughts of suicide.

Over the past four years, the world has become more and more hostile towards transgender people. Not just in openly electing politicians that hate us, but by making it harder and harder for some of us to come out and safely get the medication that may save our lives. The ability to transition can be so important for some of us that we resort to black market HRT drugs, even though we know exactly how dangerous this shit is. TERFs have become increasingly energized and transwomen been dealing with constant vitriol about how we aren't actually women even from within our own community. How many more of us have to die before we can celebrate our own lives being in less constant danger?

Not all trans people are necessarily happy with Biden, and I have no problem with those of us that aren't. But I think it's really ridiculous to start threadshitting and attacking people because boy can't we just appreciate the fact that less of us might fuckin' die. Biden has shown great passion to support domestic transpeople, and I think that's wonderful.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): Ignoring staff post, misrepresenting another member (the referenced post https://www.resetera.com/posts/52739009 ) in order to attack them. History of infractions for hostility and trolling
Wow, I got my first callout post, I'm so proud. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Man I guess I'm centre-right for being happy I don't have to die and getting pissed at other people for dismissing how much this means to those most marginalized in the United States. I don't want to ramble on off-topic situations, but this pertains exactly to this thread and how this is overwhelmingly good news. And no, I didn't say that someone that's bisexual isn't LGBT enough.

I want to reaffirm that; yes, if my icon didn't make it obvious enough, I'm trans. The amount of damage the transgender community has taken over the last four years is overwhelmingly awful. We haven't been dealing with the situation very well. I know a lot of fellow trans people that have been under an insane amount of duress for the past 4 years. All of this is kind of a big deal. I don't think Biden is the perfect candidate, and I doubt anyone here does. We have lost so many of our own kind to suicide, and even more of us have been plagued with thoughts of suicide.

Over the past four years, the world has become more and more hostile towards transgender people. Not just in openly electing politicians that hate us, but by making it harder and harder for some of us to come out and safely get the medication that may save our lives. The ability to transition can be so important for some of us that we resort to black market HRT drugs, even though we know exactly how dangerous this shit is. TERFs have become increasingly energized and we've been dealing with constant vitriol about how we aren't actually women even from within our own community. How many more of us have to die before we can celebrate our own lives being in less constant danger?

Not all trans people are necessarily happy with Biden, and I have no problem with those of us that aren't. But I think it's really ridiculous to start threadshitting and attacking people because boy can't we just appreciate the fact that less of us might fuckin' die. Biden has shown great passion to support domestic transpeople, and I think that's wonderful.
In my experience, as a trans person in this thread, I have felt quite attacked for being down on an aspect of Biden's otherwise good policies, called disrespectful of trans people as a trans person by Mercury Fred, for example, who to my best knowledge is not trans. What you describe is something I face frequently, having my relevant concerns as a trans person looked down upon by cis people.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Better LGBT handling is one of the main reasons to vote Democrat although seeing him call for sanctions is pretty uhhhhh...

Well, I guess it's Biden's way of showing support. As a queer person I can't say I feel like my community is being protected by starving countries they live in.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

We need the Equality Act, for sure. And chances are it can only pass if Democrats win the Georgia seats AND kill the filibuster. Just one of the many reasons it should be abolished if we're fortunate enough to have the majority - no reason an expansion of civil rights should be put on the shelf because of an antiquated norm requiring 3/5ths support to scratch your ass.

Over the past four years, the world has become more and more hostile towards transgender people. Not just in openly electing politicians that hate us, but by making it harder and harder for some of us to come out and safely get the medication that may save our lives. The ability to transition can be so important for some of us that we resort to black market HRT drugs, even though we know exactly how dangerous this shit is. TERFs have become increasingly energized and we've been dealing with constant vitriol about how we aren't actually women even from within our own community. How many more of us have to die before we can celebrate our own lives being in less constant danger?

You are fierce and I'm really glad we have your voice here. Thanks for all you've said and don't let the peanut gallery get you down.

Last edited:

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
the idea that putting Pete Buttigieg in the cabinet will in some way advance my community's interests is pretty repugnant.

if you want to actually support this community instead of just paying it lip service, fight like hell for us to be able to access free healthcare, affordable housing, and expand the social safety net. those are things that will actually benefit the vast majority of the LGBT community. i'm not gonna do the High Hopes dance until I see real tangible change

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Glad there is hope for the community but giving Pete Bootyjug a job for this is ehhhhh.

Also of course, hope that the next Psycho GOP Nutjob doesn't chainsaw everything.