• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Awesome to hear, especially about the reversal of the military ban (which was honestly expected).

Oct 29, 2017
After four years of feeling the sneering aimed at LGBT+ I'm really glad to hear something positive. I'm excited for January to get this started.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's pretty reasonable to be skeptical of Biden's willingness to evenly sanction countries for abuse of LGBT people

Alright, let's play this game. When exactly would you like to see Biden do? Sanction Saudi Arabia?

Okay, they've now told us they will be raising the price of all oil sold to us, other countries in OPEC follow suit as they too see they will be hit next for their own anti-LGBTQ laws. The price of gas skyrockets and mass protests erupt in the US since people can't even drive to work due to high oil prices.

Alright then, so maybe he just refuses to sell new weapons to Saudi Arabia. Fine, then they will buy them from Israel, China, or Russia. They will now rely more heavily on those countries than the US for defense armament and proceed to give those countries preferential treatment.

Foreign Affairs is not a one-sided game, Biden isn't a king or ruler of the entire world. Each action will produce a counter-reaction and there are always more than two players. That doesn't mean he can't do anything, but it does severely limit his options.

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, let's play this game. When exactly would you like to see Biden do? Sanction Saudi Arabia?

Okay, they've now told us they will be raising the price of all oil sold to us, other countries in OPEC follow suit as they too see they will be hit next for their own anti-LGBTQ laws. The price of gas skyrockets and mass protests erupt in the US since people can't even drive to work due to high oil prices.

Alright then, so maybe he just refuses to sell new weapons to Saudi Arabia. Fine, then they will buy them from Israel, China, or Russia. They will now rely more heavily on those countries than the US for defense armament and proceed to give those countries preferential treatment.

Foreign Affairs is not a one-sided game, Biden isn't a king or ruler of the entire world. Each action will produce a counter-reaction and there are always more than two players. That doesn't mean he can't do anything, but it does severely limit his options.

Biden vowed to sanction anti-LGBT behavior in other countries, he didn't allow for exceptions. This is why people asked for clarity, and it seems like you are of the opinion that Biden plans to not fulfill his promises, and I think I would agree with that. If you, an Era poster, understands that he cannot reasonably go after Saudi Arabia for anti-LGBT discrimination, he must also understand, so it would be fair to say that Biden is being a little duplicitous about how much he is willing to stick to his commitment there.

So to sum it up, you're not explaining why anyone is being unreasonable in their criticism, because if the promise lacks teeth, that sounds like something that one would be irresponsible for not criticizing. Like, it is not that people are saying "Biden better promise this," it's "Biden better not be lying, but we, BossAttack included, have cause to believe he may be"

Vennt

Oct 27, 2017
ITT: I can't get everything therefore I won't settle for anything. I expect a lot of this for the next 4-8 years.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
How do you guys square the circle of the contradiction of selling millions of dollars worth of weapons to a corrupt, genocidal monarchy that has terrible anti-LGBT laws while saying "Ensure that LGBTQ rights are a priority for U.S. foreign policy and be prepared to use pressure tactics, including sanctions, against foreign governments violating those rights."

He's surprisingly good from a domestic standpoint on LGBT+ issues but once again completely hypocritical and disingenous on foreign policy.

I mean, maybe obama did those things but Biden hasn't yet done anything like what you described because he isn't president yet. Let's hold the powerful accountable but also recognize the state of play and why Biden might want to be as general and nonspecific as possible with regards to foreign policy before inauguration

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is completely and utterly derailed onto a point everyone more or less knows what's going to happen and has absolutely nothing about the positives with a bunch of people claiming they represent LGBTQ+ posters to LGBTQ+ posters while going on about LGBTQ+ posters have a savior complex about LGBTQ+ people, or that LGBTQ+ posters are being disrespectful of LGBTQ+ people. What the fuck is actually wrong here?

Are they still going to sell weapons to Saudi Arabia?
Probably. Relevence to the thread is...? A bullet point about sanctions in foreign policy, and ah, that Biden's foreign policy is as bad as literally everyone knew it was, in the exact ways that everyone knew it was going to be (Yet still better than the previous admin) and to derail into this about Biden being the devil about everything.

Ya know, you don't have to think the guy's good to think that he's good in some areas. You realize this?

meanwhile I'm just glad I don't have to die anymore.
Basically.

Last edited:

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
This news is great to hear. I'm sick of LGBT people being treated like they're not even human in this administration. Most of these goals are very promising if passed.

As for Saudi Arabia, I do think that the US should stop selling weapons there. However, I don't think it's fair to criticize Biden for something he potentially will or will not do when he's not even the President yet. It's pretty clear in this article that Biden would be against anti-LGBT movements in foreign policy, so it's important to see what exactly he does in this case.

Overall, we can focus on one specific thing we want Biden to do or not do, but I feel like we're hand waving the huge accomplishments that this is for the LGBT community and equal rights in general. I'm just really excited to have someone who cares.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
How do you guys square the circle of the contradiction of selling millions of dollars worth of weapons to a corrupt, genocidal monarchy that has terrible anti-LGBT laws while saying "Ensure that LGBTQ rights are a priority for U.S. foreign policy and be prepared to use pressure tactics, including sanctions, against foreign governments violating those rights."

He's surprisingly good from a domestic standpoint on LGBT+ issues but once again completely hypocritical and disingenous on foreign policy.

See my above post. How exactly do you expect him to saction Saudi Arabia? Provide a clear answer with what you'd like done and any possible fallout as a result.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty reasonable to be skeptical of Biden's willingness to evenly sanction countries for abuse of LGBT people
Evenly? I think its pretty unreasonable to think the only acceptable approach to foreign policy is to make blanket mandates and hold every country to them regardless of circumstance or consequence. Our country would be in poor shape if we were to treat our closest allies like we do more problematic countries. And if were to to treat the problematic countries as lightly as we do others, what incentive would they have to improve on human rights?

Foreign human rights victims having no help or much larger groups of Americans suffering because we want to force American standards, are either of those are worthwhile outcomes? You're not going to get anything between that without a case by case approach. Progress is progress.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Biden vowed to sanction anti-LGBT behavior in other countries, he didn't allow for exceptions. This is why people asked for clarity, and it seems like you are of the opinion that Biden plans to not fulfill his promises, and I think I would agree with that. If you, an Era poster, understands that he cannot reasonably go after Saudi Arabia for anti-LGBT discrimination, he must also understand, so it would be fair to say that Biden is being a little duplicitous about how much he is willing to stick to his commitment there.

So to sum it up, you're not explaining why anyone is being unreasonable in their criticism, because if the promise lacks teeth, that sounds like something that one would be irresponsible for not criticizing. Like, it is not that people are saying "Biden better promise this," it's "Biden better not be lying, but we, BossAttack included, have cause to believe he may be"

He didn't promise that though, that's why you should always read carefully. Policy goals state:

"Ensure that LGBTQ rights are a priority for U.S. foreign policy and be prepared to use pressure tactics, including sanctions, against foreign governments violating those rights."

Nothing about that says he will treat all countries equally or that he will sanction every country or any country at all. He says he'll make LGBTQ rights a priority and is prepared to use "pressure tactics." That's not a promise to sanction anybody. He can make it a priority by bringing the issue up at the UN and with another country's diplomats and his promise would be fulfilled even if nothing changes.

It's a priority of US foreign policy to support free and fair democracies, yet we still deal with autocrats. Just because something is a priority doesn't mean we are prepared to expend every effort and resource to achieve it.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe not but some people are so defensive of him that we can't even nitpick things about his policy that it's completely obvious that he's not gonna follow at all. Just because people don't buy his last point doesn't mean we don't want the rest to happen.

No one is gonna argue about any of his other points because he actually has the power to do so but no one in their right mind actually believes he's gonna start sanctioning foreign countries because they hang gay people. And if he does, it certainly won't be for nations like Saudi Arabia who are buddies with the US government despite their treatment of those people. If Biden actually puts sanctions on the Saudi royal family and follows throught on his last point then fuck me, I'll praise the man to hell and back for doing the right thing despite the economic and political drawbacks.
I'm so tired of this bullshit line of reasoning. The same group of you immediately come into every Biden thread, shit all over everything about stuff that hasn't even happened yet, and then play the victim card when people call you out for it. You don't get to just yell, "Why can't I criticize Biden?! Why are you so eager to defend him?" as if it's a get out of jail free card. All this accomplishes is shitting up a whole bunch of threads while actually trying to pass the blame for why. Starting to feel a whole lot like Twitter, actually.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to name names but it's always the same people every single time. You call them out, they start with the bullshit "You can't criticize Biden". They will shit up every topic with concern trolling rubbish. They gaslight, twist and obscure stuff, make a big deal out of the smallest thing just so they can say "See, the dems and Biden are evil monster's. We are the only ones that truly care. Not me, us!"

IMO, it's nothing but salt that their holy saintlike candidate Sanders didn't win the primary. That's what it all goes back to.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He didn't promise that though, that's why you should always read carefully. Policy goals state:

"Ensure that LGBTQ rights are a priority for U.S. foreign policy and be prepared to use pressure tactics, including sanctions, against foreign governments violating those rights."

Nothing about that says he will treat all countries equally or that he will sanction every country or any country at all. He says he'll make LGBTQ rights a priority and is prepared to use "pressure tactics." That's not a promise to sanction anybody. He can make it a priority by bringing the issue up at the UN and with another country's diplomats and his promise would be fulfilled even if nothing changes.

It's a priority of US foreign policy to support free and fair democracies, yet we still deal with autocrats. Just because something is a priority doesn't mean we are prepared to expend every effort and resource to achieve it.
Isn't this exactly what people are criticizing though? You are acting as if people don't understand the policy, meanwhile you've just described exactly what people are saying they have a problem with in regards to the policy.

Biden is pretty good on LGBT+ issues surprisingly, so I'm happy to see most of this policy implemented. Many of these measures will go a long way to removing and discouraging discrimination against queer folks.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's such a relief to have some, any positive movement for the LGBTQ community after being under constant attack for the last four years.

I don't want to name names but it's always the same people every single time. You call them out, they start with the bullshit "You can't criticize Biden". They will shit up every topic with concern trolling rubbish. They gaslight, twist and obscure stuff, make a big deal out of the smallest thing just so they can say "See, the dems and Biden are evil monster's. We are the only ones that truly care. Not me, us!"

IMO, it's nothing but salt that their holy saintlike candidate Sanders didn't win the primary. That's what it all goes back to.
Just report them and move on. Seeing a fairly positive news thread for the LGBTQ community derailed like this is extremely predictable and totally disrespectful.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
The performative leftism that a sizeable group of posters indulge in here makes this forum less and less enjoyable to visit. Always the same clowns, shitting up every single political thread because it's just so important they get to show how fucking righteous they are every time.

Biden's plan is excellent news and I look forward to a Biden administration massively improving the quality of life for LGBT people in America and hopefully contribute to strides being made internationally.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The performative leftism that a sizeable group of posters indulge in here makes this forum less and less enjoyable to visit. Always the same clowns, shitting up every single political thread because it's just so important they get to show how fucking righteous they are every time.

yep, they are far more interested in earning cool points from their fellow keyboard warriors than they are in improving anything for anyone

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Legitimately these plans are great. What a stark contrast to the past 4 years and the current administration.

I hope once the Biden administration is in actual power they are able to meet or even exceed my expectations. But as I already stated these plans are legitimately great.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I'm always baffled by the vitiriol which by which some posters here denouce responses that do not adequately "focus on the positives" of one particular political party in one country with a very mixed track record. Maybe other people don't feel like pre-empteivly adjusting expectations so they are never let down is a good attitutde to bring to *checks notes* electoral politics. Maybe instead of getting mad that some posters are asking the question of where the waters edge will be to these polcies, try recongizing that having your preffered candidate in power means that other people get to decide how their standards are drawn

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's such a relief to have some, any positive movement for the LGBTQ community after being under constant attack for the last four years.

Just report them and move on. Seeing a fairly positive news thread for the LGBTQ community derailed like this is extremely predictable and totally disrespectful.
Yea, at this point I'm done engaging with those "certain types of posts" that come up in every thread like this.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm always baffled by the vitiriol which by which some posters here denouce responses that do not adequately "focus on the positives" of one particular political party in one country with a very mixed track record. Maybe other people don't feel like pre-empteivly adjusting expectations so they are never let down is a good attitutde to bring to *checks notes* electoral politics. Maybe instead of getting mad that some posters are asking the question of where the waters edge will be to these polcies, try recongizing that having your preffered candidate in power means that other people get to decide how their standards are drawn
The vitriol is having the same circular, derailed, conversation in every single solitary politics thread regardless of subject while sniping at people that aren't sufficiently doomer as... whatever the buzzword for neoliberal-corporate-liberal-betrayer-centrist is for the day while maximally assuming the worst about everything and everyone that doesn't parrot the same line of talking points, taking only negative rumors at face value while thumping about how positive things are bullshit or don't matter. It makes everything worthless to engage with and drives people off the site.

game-biz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, it's a bummer. But, you're right, report and ignore them is the best route to take. God forbid we celebrate some good news.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Page 1 does not pass the vibe check. Some people are so focused on seeing Biden as a bitch eating crackers that I guess protecting equal rights for LGBTQ Americans is an unimportant footnote.

In the past four years I've seen the federal government treat some of my friends and family as less than human. I'm incredibly relieved to see new leadership making a commitment to reversing that pattern of systemic bigotry.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Report people for what exactly? Commenting on the OP?

A lot of the people criticizing Biden's own statement are LGBTQ themselves. You don't speak for the entire community.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Page 1 does not pass the vibe check. Some people are so busy seeing Biden as a bitch eating crackers that I guess progress for LGBTQ Americans is an unimportant footnote.
I could twist this around and say people are so busy defending Biden that the killings of LGBTQ foreigners are an unimportant footnote.

Last edited:

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Fucking thread.

Some people myself included actually lost rights in the last four years and this would restore them. Sucks the thread had to turn those of who are just relieved and able to breathe again into political currency for Pro/Anti Biden arguments.

Meanwhile I am just happy as a disabled person that if Biden gets these through I won't have to worry about losing my benefits or healthcare if they found out I was trans since Trumps admin made it legal for them to discriminate.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Abuse of the report system. Hostility. Numerous prior bans for hostility.
shame how little some posters care for some of our most marginalized citizens

the kids will learn, hopefully before it is too late
Fuck OFF. I'm bi, I know A.By is trans and other people part of the community are in here too. Using a marginalized community that you're not part of as a shield against criticisms against an old straight cis dude is pretty fucking gross.

Biden's plan is excellent news and I look forward to a Biden administration massively improving the quality of life for LGBT people in America and hopefully contribute to strides being made internationally.
yep, they are far more interested in earning cool points from their fellow keyboard warriors than they are in improving anything for anyone
Whole lot of nonsense community warring/sniping going on in this thread now. You guys could address the posts or you could continue to stir up shit.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking thread.

Some people myself included actually lost rights in the last four years and this would restore them. Sucks the thread had to turn those of who are just relieved and able to breathe again into political currency for Pro/Anti Biden arguments.

Meanwhile I am just happy as a disabled person that if Biden gets these through I won't have to worry about losing my benefits or healthcare if they found out I was trans since Trumps admin made it legal for them to discriminate.
It's so nuts-- we've all been on extra edge over during this last administration, but the outsized knocks that the trans community has taken is just fucking insane. I'm sorry for what you had to deal with and optimistic you might get some relief soon.

Yayate

Banned
Feb 8, 2018
User Warned: inflammatory generalizations
Fuck OFF. I'm bi, I know A.By is trans and other people part of the community are in here too. Using a marginalized community that you're not part of as a shield against criticisms against an old straight cis dude is pretty fucking gross.

Are you white? Whoopie the fucking do. There's a reason why white men are white men. There's a reason a lot of people in the LGBT community complain that gay/bi men are the 'straight cis white men' of the LGBT community, and your bullheadedness in this thread is exactly why.

Maybe shut up about how you understand the LGBT communirt because you're constantly showing you don't know shit. Keep saying stupid caustic shit to other LGBT people, because again.

im just fucking happy i dont have to die anymore.

Fucking fake ~progressives~ railing against any sort of progress with their finger wagging bullshit. There's being lukewarm on a candidate and there's waddling in with your tiny weiner demeanor about how none of this Matters Actually.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Are you white? Whoopie the fucking do. There's a reason why white men are white men. There's a reason a lot of people in the LGBT community complain that gay/bi men are the 'straight cis white men' of the LGBT community, and your bullheadedness in this thread is exactly why.

Maybe shut up about how you understand the LGBT communirt because you're constantly showing you don't know shit. Keep saying stupid caustic shit to other LGBT people, because again.

im just fucking happy i dont have to die anymore.

Fucking fake ~progressives~ railing against any sort of progress with their finger wagging bullshit. There's being lukewarm on a candidate and there's waddling in with your tiny weiner demeanor about how none of this Matters Actually.
I never said I understood the LGBT community or whatever, I said that a straight cis dude using us as a shield is a pretty shitty look because not everyone in this thread that disagrees with him is straight and cis.

I never said anything bad in regards to people celebrating this news or the domestic policy. I'm happy about those measures and said as much (if not in this thread then I'm sure I've talked about how Biden's domestic lgbtq+ policies are surprisingly solid), I'm literally just talking about one specific point that people got super defensive over because they felt their candidate was under attack or whatever.

This page got flooded with petty, vague community warring bullshit instead of just addressing the actual posts or ya know... not mentioning them and being happy about the domestic policies.

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
Getting back to what we had with the Obama administration should be expected and the bare minimum accepted from Biden's administration

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
The vitriol is having the same circular, derailed, conversation in every single solitary politics thread regardless of subject while sniping at people that aren't sufficiently doomer as... whatever the buzzword for neoliberal-corporate-liberal-betrayer-centrist is for the day while maximally assuming the worst about everything and everyone that doesn't parrot the same line of talking points, taking only negative rumors at face value while thumping about how positive things are bullshit or don't matter. It makes everything worthless to engage with and drives people off the site.

even if we were posting in bad faith (hint: we're not) i find it interesting you're expressing that idea with the exact kind of hyperbole and worst case projections you accusing us of trafficking in. There seems to be this huge rush to pathologize the left based on tone and optics (which lets be real is in part because left liberals know they can't take the moral high ground on policy against a left who refuses to make excuses for people in power).

So we get these stale smears... every criticism is doomer and every caution to praise is jealousy. The left are intellectually vapid bad faith actors so nothing can ever be about actual disagreements in values which can be debated on their merits.

I'll be the first to admit my antipathy for liberals but at least i grant that there are people who genuinely do hold and argue those beliefs in good faith

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
even if we were posting in bad faith (hint: we're not) i find it interesting you're expressing that idea with the exact kind of hyperbole and worst case projections you accusing us of trafficking in. There seems to be this huge rush to pathologize the left based on tone and optics (which lets be real is in part because left liberals know they can't take the moral high ground on policy against a left who refuses to make excuses for people in power).

So we get these stale smears... every criticism is doomer and every caution to praise is jealousy. The left are intellectually vapid bad faith actors so nothing can ever be about actual disagreements in values which can be debated on their merits.

I'll be the first to admit my antipathy for liberals but at least i grant that there are people who genuinely do hold and argue those beliefs in good faith
You're literally doing the very thing that you're saying you're not in this post. And if you can't see that there's nothing to discuss. Complaining about people brushing certain members with a broad brush when THAT broad brushing is exactly all I ever see posted by that section.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this exactly what people are criticizing though? You are acting as if people don't understand the policy, meanwhile you've just described exactly what people are saying they have a problem with in regards to the policy.

Biden is pretty good on LGBT+ issues surprisingly, so I'm happy to see most of this policy implemented. Many of these measures will go a long way to removing and discouraging discrimination against queer folks.

What is the problem? That policy has to be based in reality? Biden is not Emperor of the World. Please describe what you'd like to see him do and be sure to include any potential fallout of said policies.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This discussion is generating a high number of reports and is temporarily locked while we review them and the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.