• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (5 days): Drive by posting and inflammatory thread derailment
Are they still going to sell weapons to Saudi Arabia?

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
These all seem like positive steps, having LGBTQ representatives in government I think will be huge in helping make sure issues are considered and understood with these people in power.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
Ensure that LGBTQ rights are a priority for U.S. foreign policy and be prepared to use pressure tactics, including sanctions, against foreign governments violating those rights.

Ah yeah, but of course. We know its going to be selective as fuck though. We dont need to be used as scapegoats for interventionist BS. You can't protect minorities while actively ruining their countries.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
But democrats and republicans are the same...

(This is good, this is all good, and it mostly seems to be possible without having to deal with the senate at all)

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
One of the most pleasant surprises wrt Biden is discovering how strong he is on LGBTQ rights, especially trans rights. At the beginning of the year he said: "Let's be clear: Transgender equality is the civil rights issue of our time. There is no room for compromise when it comes to basic human rights."

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the most pleasant surprises wrt Biden is discovering how strong he is on LGBTQ rights, especially trans rights. At the beginning of the year he said: "Let's be clear: Transgender equality is the civil rights issue of our time. There is no room for compromise when it comes to basic human rights."

Most recently Biden stated this:

Statement by President-elect Joe Biden on Transgender Day of Remembrance | President-Elect Joe Biden (buildbackbetter.gov)

Transgender rights are human rights. To transgender and gender-nonconforming people across America and around the world: from the moment I am sworn in as president of the United States, know that my administration will see you, listen to you, and fight for not only your safety but also the dignity and justice you have been denied.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah it's why just having him as president and a gov ran by him will put a lot of weary minds at ease. That alone is worth it imo.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Biden has been constantly supportive of this. Big contrast to everything horrible Trump and Pence did or want to do for lgtb rights.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Some really good first steps. Hopefully this is a sign of what's to come.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Spreading LGBT rights through the world seems like such a pipe dream. At best, I guess they will pressure those nations that recently added anti-homosexuality laws to roll back.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So they actually have ready to go actions to back up his recent statement. It's nice to finally see my personal issues addressed, it doesn't happen much and it's usually negative so cheers to that.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
You are correct. LGBTQ rights are stupid and pointless and we should immediately derail any discussion on the issue to other matters.

/s
What does this post even mean? Did you not even read the article or OP?
Ensure that LGBTQ rights are a priority for U.S. foreign policy and be prepared to use pressure tactics, including sanctions, against foreign governments violating those rights.

Besides that, it's very refreshing to see Biden's stance on LGBT rights compared to the horrendous record of Trump. He seems very genuine about this stuff. Don't know how much can get done with this Conservative lopsided Supreme Court tho

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
You are correct. LGBTQ rights are stupid and pointless and we should immediately derail any discussion on the issue to other matters.

/s
You're right. This good thing can go fuck itself.
How do you guys square the circle of the contradiction of selling millions of dollars worth of weapons to a corrupt, genocidal monarchy that has terrible anti-LGBT laws while saying "Ensure that LGBTQ rights are a priority for U.S. foreign policy and be prepared to use pressure tactics, including sanctions, against foreign governments violating those rights."

He's surprisingly good from a domestic standpoint on LGBT+ issues but once again completely hypocritical and disingenous on foreign policy.

game-biz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome stuff. Man, it's going to be weird actually having a president who isn't a piece of shit.

Fantastic derail, by the way.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
How do you guys square the circle of the contradiction of selling millions of dollars worth of weapons to a corrupt, genocidal monarchy that has terrible anti-LGBT laws while saying "Ensure that LGBTQ rights are a priority for U.S. foreign policy and be prepared to use pressure tactics, including sanctions, against foreign governments violating those rights."

He's surprisingly good from a domestic standpoint on LGBT+ issues but once again completely hypocritical and disingenous on foreign policy.
Squaring the circle is that initial post

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Awesome stuff. Man, it's going to be weird actually having a president who isn't a piece of shit.

Fantastic derail, by the way.
It's only a derail if you decide to cut out parts of the OP that don't fit your narrative.

Squaring the circle is that initial post
What
It's all or nothing here apparently
It's.... literally just asking them to do what they said they're going to do.

Oct 25, 2017

This is a pretty worrying line. Both because sanctions are a monstrous practice in general, but also because this is definitely getting selectively enforced to suit geopolitical desires and then getting sold falsely as being about LGBTQ rights when it's actually being done to further imperial interests.

Aside from that the rest seems pretty good.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

Reads like any sanctions would be targeted at government officials and not blanket sanctions against say, a country's economy.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
Yup. This one news story is all they're gonna do!

I mean, a healthy dose of cynicism regarding the american government's willingness to take a stand on any human rights issue if it means even a minor inconvenience to them or anyone who can afford a lobbyist is... justified, to say the least

it's not like saudi arabia is a lovely and understanding utopia except on lgbt rights, they (and many other countries) have done horrendous shit for decades that america has sanctioned in the name of "they buy guns and they have oil". it's a very reasonable thing to ask if the biden administration actually means it or if they will just, in their words, be "prepared" to do things to back it up. based on the track record of america, it's all too likely they'll be "prepared" for four years. maybe even eight, depending on how an election goes.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

/s

lol

US's foreign policy continues to be trash. I want Biden to go to Riyadh and tell MBS straight to him face to stop killing gay people.

But he won't because neoliberals need their wars.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yeah, but of course. We know its going to be selective as fuck though. We dont need to be used as scapegoats for interventionist BS. You can't protect minorities while actively ruining their countries.

One can't protect them or claim to be on our side if their plan for these countries is "none of my business" either

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
One can't protect them or claim to be on our side if their plan for these countries is "none of my business" either

Sanctions will only make things worse for the country and for minorities there. Plus I don't really think scapegoating LGBT+ people for geopolitical play works at all. All you will get is situations like Poland when the government and the people at large double down with their bigotry

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Sanctions will only make things worse for the country and for minorities there. Plus I don't really think scapegoating LGBT+ people for geopolitical play works at all. All you will get is situations like Poland when the government and the people at large double down with their bigotry
Targeted sanctions work very well. Putin has been raging for years about the sanctions aimed not at Russia overall but at the money he and his subservient oligarchs have. Trump has halted quite of lot of this, but it has still been a huge pushpoint for Russian oligarchs.

And again, if the best one wants to offer is "thoughts and prayers," I do not see them as on my side. For a lot of people (including supposed allies), if it happens abroad, it's none of their business.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Damn @ this post jack, lol. Bad vibes in here. At a certain point pointing out what some feel is a hollow victory really is about pissing on a parade. Considering the administration was pretty anti LGBTQ, it feels weird handwaving it away to focus on an entirely different topic.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck meaningful and pragmatic (albeit incremental) improvements. Anything less than politically unachievable ideological purity right out of the gate can fuck right off!

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Yep. The heck bringing up other negatives. You will NEVER get the perfect candidate you want. But hey screw Biden because of some other stuff. He cares about the community
The general consensus most posters seem to be having here is that Biden's LGBTQ stances are very good and look to be coming from a sincere place. That doesn't mean people shouldn't be critical of this admin compromising its stances literally outlined in the OP in favor of geopolitics. I don't get what everyone in here is so pissed off about.

Fuck incremental but meaningful and pragmatic improvements. Anything less than politically unachievable ideological purity out of the gate can fuck right off!
huh?

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously wtf is this thread?

We get an article outlining a range of extremely positive actions and proposals for LGBT people and posters decide to immediately focus on one dot point in order to re-litigate issues discussed in numerous other threads.

It is shady as fuck, and frankly extremely disrespectful.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Biden has been zero days in office.
I shouldn't have worded my post in present tense, sorry. I genuinely hope he sticks to his word and holds countries like Saudi Arabia to account. I doubt the immense geopolitical entanglements can be overcome so quickly, but I'm hoping for the best.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Beyond executive actions he can take unilaterally, Biden says his top legislative priority for LGBTQ issues is the Equality Act, passed by the House of Representatives last year but stalled in the Senate. It would extend to all 50 states the comprehensive anti-bias protections already afforded to LGBTQ people in 21 mostly Democratic-governed states, covering such sectors as housing, public accommodations and public services.

Biden says he wants the act to become law within 100 days of taking office, but its future remains uncertain.
Assuming the bill passes again in the House, it would need support from several Republicans in the Senate, even if the Democrats gain control by winning two runoff races in Georgia. For now, Susan Collins of Maine is the only GOP co-sponsor in the Senate.

So many solid, helpful House bills sitting on McConnell's desk, and that dude easily won reelection.

None of this stuff even registered to most voters. Biden really is going to have to test the limits of executive power in a way even the Trump administration was somewhat shy about, because otherwise Biden isn't going to get a lick done.

Status
Not open for further replies.