• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Love the guy, his recent video roasting the Great British Bake-off's "Japanese Week" was especially funny.

It's weird and pretty sus that he's an Asian dude and the only Asian character he can think of to help push more Asian representation is the Asian stereotype of having a shitty Hollywood accent that white people love to mimic to make fun of Asians.

I wouldn't assume to speak for others, but it's self-referential humor for us SG/MY SEA folks with some really witty jabs at western-asian cross-culture points. It kind of speaks for itself when the majority of his followers and popularity seem to be from Asian communities and regions.

Oct 25, 2017
I am conflicted on Uncle Roger.

My first impression was like many other folks in this thread (that it was basically Asian cooning), but the more I watched the more I found he just rags on white people all the time. So my opinion on him slightly changed.

The problem is I think the same thing that happened with stuff like the Chapelle Show. One day he'll find himself walking by some white people who are laughing at the wrong thing and figure out that, maybe while his intentions were good, by playing into the stereotypes he's making comedy that may be funny to two different communities for two separate reasons. One good, one bad.

Is he okay living with that? Chapelle wasn't ok with it, so let's see where Nigel lands.
This is what I was reminded of in regards to Chapelle's Show as well.

lowendtheory

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
I 100% code switch between a strong Canto-English accent and near-perfect English depending on my environment and who I'm speaking to -- as well as code switch between perfect Cantonese pronunciation and an English pronunciation, again, depending on my environment and who I'm speaking to.
Same! The aiyas flow freely when I'm with other canto speakers, which inevitably leads to me picking up a bit of An accent that I don't otherwise speak with.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
wonder what the division is between a fake accent and a real accent you can just turn on or off is. like dude lived and grew up in malaysia, almost certainly that was how he spoke english until he lived overseas for a while. just cos you can code switch doesn't make one or the other accents fake imho

The uncle roger accent is absolutely not how the majority SG/MY people of our generation speak. He's playing up the character by dragging his words and slurring all the time.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
He's a little too young for an uncle is the other thing lol. he's more like your (my) shitty older cousin

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
The uncle roger accent is absolutely not how the majority SG/MY people of our generation speak. He's playing up the character by dragging his words and slurring all the time.

I'm not sure if you understand his routine. He's not playing a person of our generation. He's parodying a person of the previous generation before us -- our uncles and aunties that we grew up with.

Like, his belt pouch for his phone was a dead giveaway.

Love the guy, his recent video roasting the Great British Bake-off's "Japanese Week" was especially funny.

Oh man, how did I forget to mention this video šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚ It was absolutely brutal and on point.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure if you understand his routine. He's not playing a person of our generation. He's parodying a person of the previous generation before us -- our uncles and aunties that we grew up with.

Like, his belt pouch for his phone was a dead giveaway.

Of course I get it, I'm responding to Jintor who was wondering if Nigel was speaking Engish like that in MY prior to moving to the UK.

like dude lived and grew up in malaysia, almost certainly that was how he spoke english until he lived overseas for a while. just cos you can code switch doesn't make one or the other accents fake imho

Speaking from personal experience, I also spent 5 years in UK. Me, my friends, other SG/MY folks that I knew, we all had a bit of code-switching when we're talking amongst ourselves vs talking to a local.

Last edited:

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
User Banned (1 month): dismissing concerns surrounding racism
My wife and I are asian immigrants. We find (most of) it hilarious.

My wife's Asian (Chinese), and she absolutely loves his videos. She showed them to her friends at work (a mixture of Korean, Japanese and Chinese), and they loved it as well. I found the first couple of videos funny, but it got old. They sure love them though.

I mean, he's just riffing on his own cultural stereotypes (Chinese Malay English speakers). I don't understand what the problem is here.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I similarly cringe at South Asian content creators making stereotypical caricatures like Lilly Singh skits where they play up the accent and behaviours hard. I don't see it as a celebration of the previous generation. Just seems like a song and dance for colonisers.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He also has remnants of his Malaysian accent, too. You can tell from his natural speaking voice. Like, for those that are disparaging his routine, he is making a play on his own experiences both as an immigrant and someone who grew up in that culture. And, as he has mentioned in numerous interviews, the Uncle Roger character comes from a place of endearment.
Pretty much. It's an SEA thing I guess, so I kinda get why some dont get it and find it offensive.

Most of us love it here, we have or know uncle or aunties that talk like that here; or friends who arent from urban areas.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
He makes a mockery of himself using that fake accent, as a US-Vietnamese that try my best to fix my accent, fuck him.
That's the double edge sword with his character. It maybe a lot of jokes that SEA people will be into and stuff they'll get and love, which is fine and all,, but it's also encouraging non Asians to continuing doing dumb ass accents when talking to Asians.

SonofDonCD

Oct 26, 2017
Being a black man in NYC, it's hard to not feel a sort of second-hand awkwardness and embarrassment sometimes with his videos, but that's because it's not my culture and we in the west have been conditioned to try not to play up stereotypes (even if they are based in truth).

But I find his videos (specifically his reaction videos) to be hilarious. The accent at this point has melted away, and I'm actually laughing at what he is saying, not how he is saying it. I don't imitate it, as I'm not a child. And while there are a few Asian culture things that he brings up that I knew (having a Chinese friend growing up and hanging out at his place all the time), I do like some of the insights he occasionally has on his videos.

I've listened to some of his podcast "Rice to Meet You" that he co-hosts with an Asian woman. So I see some of his perspective beyond the videos themselves. Learning how and where he grew up, and also seeing how he interacts with the Asian community where he is (which is decidedly not in America) I feel it's really not my place to tell him that he shouldn't do this character. This is obviously based on his upbringing, and I do see LOTS of Asians (especially those actually living on the continent) loving and sharing his videos as they're in on the joke and recognize the roots of the character. Will white people imitate him and think the stereotype is real? Perhaps, but he also regularly roasts white people, so I'd like to believe that those white people of good faith would know not to do it in the first place.

This character isn't going to be for everyone. No issue with that. But I do think it comes from a place of respect from his perspective, so I can't hate on him for it. We'll see where it goes, but I kinda agree with those likening it to Chappelle Show. He might find that maintaining playing this character is untenable and drops it after a short while.

FlashbladeERA

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird and pretty sus that he's an Asian dude and the only Asian character he can think of to help push more Asian representation is the Asian stereotype of having a shitty Hollywood accent that white people love to mimic to make fun of Asians.

That's the impression I get too. It strikes me as an Asian guy making fun of Asian people to an Asian audience.
I hate his schtick too - it's custom made to entertain white people.
Say what you will about the accent, but he is constantly blasting white people.

If anything, it's entertainment for people of color.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
That's the double edge sword with his character. It maybe a lot of jokes that SEA people will be into and stuff they'll get and love, which is fine and all,, but it's also encouraging non Asians to continuing doing dumb ass accents when talking to Asians.
That's the thing, his character is fun for people who don't live on the Western side of the world, or for Asian American that doesn't have a hard time with an accent, blending in and all that fun stuff. It is infuriating for people like me, and my family, who came to US late, trying our best to change our accent, don't want people to bother us with dumb shit they saw on Youtube.

And for people who say I don't have to change my accent, yeah right, I'll believe that shit when the person I talking to stop saying "huh, can you say that again?" or "can you say it slower?"

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I watched a few of his videos and they made me uncomfortable, but that isn't my culture so I can't really speak on it.

But as black man i can say that kinda of stuff can be done but you always walking a razor's edge. Tyler Perry can do his stuff because alot of the jokes are written for people that grew up with that kinda of stuff, things the mainstream wouldn't pickup.
Yeah this dude's full cringe bad. As someone who is Asian, accent is something a lot of us struggle with especially as first gen immigrants. Along comes this guy and the people like it or not, are laughing at that accent so many of us struggle to get away from. That's his entire schtick: thick ass terrible accent. Are there people who talk like that? Sure. But why make fun of the way they talk and signal boost the "weird talking asian" stereotype? I'm fed up with it.

lowendtheory

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
Yeah this dude's full cringe bad. As someone who is Asian, accent is something a lot of us struggle with especially as first gen immigrants. Along comes this guy and the people like it or not, are laughing at that accent so many of us struggle to get away from. That's his entire schtick: thick ass terrible accent. Are there people who talk like that? Sure. But why make fun of the way they talk and signal boost the "weird talking asian" stereotype? I'm fed up with it.
i just have an issue with the idea that putting on accents is off-limits, especially when we're talking about the accent of an actor's native tongue. What would you make of, say, Paul Sun-Hyung Lee, who speaks English without an accent, but adopts a strong Korean accent on Kim's Convenience? There's no malice behind it; it's literally how people of the character's diaspora speak. Sure, it could be taken as comic fodder. But you can't make allowances for idiots who will latch on to the lowest hanging fruit as something to make fun of.

edit: here's a video for reference.

Oct 27, 2017
I understand why he's problematic for some, but from my perspective (US born Viet), his shtick reminds me of my many random grand uncles. It's like when my cousins and I quote these same old and weird-ass uncles with a specific accent and cadence.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Having recently watched a short documentary on the early days of black face and the role of black entertainers in those times the Uncle Roger thing clicked for me. There were only a few ways to fame and success and unfortunately one of the surefire ways is to, for lack of a better term, shuck and jive. So you got Mantan Moreland going from stage dramas to bulging his eyes our and acting like an imbecile to get paid. What is off-putting for me, as a black man, about the Uncle Roger character is that he still feels the need to shuck and jive in 2020. Like Stepin Fetchit was doing the same routine 90 years ago with the same justification and it's still gross. Just because it's from "his own experience" and the joke is allegedly about making fun of clueless white people doesn't make it more than it is.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
He makes a mockery of himself using that fake accent, as a US-Vietnamese that try my best to fix my accent, fuck him.

Nothing wrong with your accent. Just fuck the people who make fun of your accent. There is no 'right' accent anywho anyhow period. People in power are ones trying to make you think there is. Don't let people put you down because of that.

Like they say in the interview, many Western-born/raised Asians had similar ssues with his accents, while those who live in SEA didn't see anything wrong with the accent and loved it. It's not our accents that are wrong, its the people around us that are trying to tell us what's right and wrong that are the shitheads.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I have mixed feelings. On one hand, the skits are genuinely funny and I don't doubt his sincerity. A lot about it is relatable to Asian immigrants in some way. On the other hand, I carry some baggage where when people Asian stereotyped me, they laughed at me and not with me. It all sort of cancels out, making me a bit uncomfortable, but making me laugh enough to gloss over it. So eh.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
It's even weirder that he does a fake stereotypical old movie racist accent instead of more natural one. It'd still be annoying but better than this. The actual content seems fine but that accent..

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I know as a black guy, I wouldn't be cool with somebody shuckin and jivin putting on a fake blaccent so I'll go with not being ok with this either
I think the comparison would be more apt for black african immigrants and among themself they definitely do african accents to imitate their parents and laugh amongst themself. Here in germany some went on to become famous youtubers through this.

I'm still not sure how I feel about it but there are plenty of black people mainly second or first generations who find it enjoyable. Especially because they are familiar with it.

Plenty dislike it too tho because of the stereotype it spreads, so yeah not sure about the actual split.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
I have mixed feelings. On one hand, the skits are genuinely funny and I don't doubt his sincerity. A lot about it is relatable to Asian immigrants in some way. On the other hand, I carry some baggage where when people Asian stereotyped me, they laughed at me and not with me. It all sort of cancels out, making me a bit uncomfortable, but making me laugh enough to gloss over it. So eh.

Yeah his humour is definitely rooted in first generation asian immigrants but the ones with a solid/insular community behind them. There's plenty of characters like uncle roger in families and that's what makes him so relatable for some. But if your experience with the uncle roger character only goes as far as the accent or the bullying/adversity stemming from the stereotype, it's easy to see how it can be offensive.

sandyph

Oct 31, 2017
Say what you will about the accent, but he is constantly blasting white people.

If anything, it's entertainment for people of color.

seems like some people just can't get past the accent.

Nothing wrong with your accent. Just fuck the people who make fun of your accent. There is no 'right' accent anywho anyhow period. People in power are ones trying to make you think there is. Don't let people put you down because of that.

Like they say in the interview, many Western-born/raised Asians had similar ssues with his accents, while those who live in SEA didn't see anything wrong with the accent and loved it. It's not our accents that are wrong, its the people around us that are trying to tell us what's right and wrong that are the shitheads.

agree with this, I work with people from all over the globe and heard differents kind of accents, heck one of my colleague have a really thick Scottish accent and it took a while for me to fully understand him. Never did I ever ask him to 'tone it down' lol

Zugma

Oct 27, 2017
I have a lot of friends from different parts of Asia (Vietnam, Thailand, China, Taiwan, etc) that absolutely love this guy. I think he represents something very familiar to them, that they really can relate to, and find quite amusing. Me, as a white guy, can also see tons of other white folk having a laugh at his videos for all of the wrong reasons. I end up feeling quite conflicted on his comedy, as on one hand I love that there is someone making comedy that my friends from Asia can appreciate, and see represented on such a large platform, but on the other hand, I know that non-asian people will be extra shitty about it.

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
I have a lot of friends from different parts of Asia (Vietnam, Thailand, China, Taiwan, etc) that absolutely love this guy. I think he represents something very familiar to them, that they really can relate to, and find quite amusing. Me, as a white guy, can also see tons of other white folk having a laugh at his videos for all of the wrong reasons. I end up feeling quite conflicted on his comedy, as on one hand I love that there is someone making comedy that my friends from Asia can appreciate, and see represented on such a large platform, but on the other hand, I know that non-asian people will be extra shitty about it.

Speaking as an Asian person I feel conflicting for the same reason (I love the "so white, so white" parts, not so much about the misogynistic older Chinese guy stereotype). Let's just hope he does more branching out from this character stereotype at least.