• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vice has published this article about Malaysian comedian Nigel Ng and his Uncle Roger character, in this article, Nigel Ng responded to the controversy his Uncle Roger character has caused among the Asian community:

Nigel Ng Talks Uncle Roger and the Comedy of Cooking Rice (vice.com)

An orange polo shirt, tucked in, wouldn't typically be a go-to Halloween costume. That was until October 2020, when hundreds of people wore exactly that, usually paired with a friend dressed as fried rice. They were channelling Uncle Roger, "a middle-aged Malaysian uncle you see everywhere in Malaysia, including coffee shops and your family events." If that sounds relatable, hilarious, and vaguely parodied, that's because it was meant to be. After all, the description came from Uncle Roger himself, Malaysian comedian Nigel Ng.

"He is a sassy loudmouth, but ultimately [a] kind individual," Ng said of his popular alter-ego in an interview with VICE.

Ng, 29, grew up in Malaysia but is now based in London. He's been active on YouTube since 2019, but went viral in July after Uncle Roger reacted to BBC Food host Hersha Patel's questionable fried rice recipe. Peppered with classic 'Manglish' (Malaysian English) reactions like "haiya" (frustration and disappointment) and "fuiyoh" (shock and wonder), typical of his other videos, he roasted the host's decision to wash the rice on a colander after it was cooked. The video now has over 18 million views on his YouTube channel, 1.1 million views on his Facebook page, and countless more in re-uploads. It was an instant meme, especially popular with Asian communities around the world.

"I think it was a combination of it being a relatable topic — rice and cooking rice — and it is such a simple thing for most Asians. So, to see someone mess it up so bad in such a bizarre way is very entertaining. And the character himself is entertaining too," Ng said.

Ng's quick rise to popularity does not come without criticism. While many Asians find Uncle Roger hilariously on-point with their own uncles, some feel that his heightened blend of a thick staccato Cantonese accent interlaced with Manglish grammar is problematic. They say Ng is only furthering existing negative Asian stereotypes.

"Their fears are not unfounded, and also I try to see from their perspective too," Ng said. "A lot of them grew up being the only Asian person in a white neighborhood where nobody understood their culture. They got made fun of, ostracized, and bullied based on how they behave and speak."

But he said that rather than it being a caricature, Uncle Roger is an homage to his childhood in Malaysia.

"This character is rooted in my life experience. It is moulded after the people I knew growing up — the uncle sitting at the kopitiams (coffee shops), the sassy know-it-all uncles," Ng said,

"I know that my dad wears a belt phone case, and I see a lot of other Asian uncles wearing it too. So, Uncle Roger is a combination of research and my own life experiences. A lot of words Uncle Roger uses are words I used growing up, talking to friends in a very casual setting. So I just had to make these the centerpieces of his dialect."

"When I do stereotypes, I think people just mean the accent," he said. "Uncle Roger is a character. He's never mentioned that Asians eat dogs, or are good at math."

"White people have been using an Asian accent to make fun of Asian people for a long time."

"People haven't seen their parents becoming YouTubers, you know. And in my comedy, I do a lot of Asian culture stuff as well, like cultural differences and little injustices we face … and when people come see Uncle Roger and my stand-up, and learn even more about Asian culture, I think that's a plus for everybody," he said.

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been watching him a lot since that original video went viral and yeah he is hilarious. The Jamie Oliver video was even better.

Nigel Ng himself is a really nice guy it seems like.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I actually like this character. Like his interview, it's a love letter to those that he grew up with and, being an Asian immigrant and reading the numerous YouTube comments from other Asians like me, there is something deeply familiar with his parody.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah speaking as someone who's Asian, this schtick is personally annoying as fuck.

Got made fun of all through my childhood cause of my accent and not knowing how to speak English for a few years after immigrating here so it gets to me personally.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad that other people on era are finally turning on this, instead of constantly quoting the couple of Singaporean posters who says it was totally cool, as if they spoke for all Asian people

Oct 27, 2017
I know as a black guy, I wouldn't be cool with somebody shuckin and jivin putting on a fake blaccent so I'll go with not being ok with this either

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, this is my first time hearing that "Uncle Roger" is a character. I knew of the story, but never sat down and watched the video(s). I legit thought this was a viral sensation of someone's uncle freaking out over an odd preparation of fried rice.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
His comedy is one of a second generation immigrant making jokes about their parent's culture.

He can switch off his accent and blend in.

So he's not what he pretends to be in his act.

I find it distasteful

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy how videos about others cooking. Growing up with African parents, a lot of what he says resonates with me.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
As an Asian dude, I can't help but feel like his schtick, much like Ken Jeong in the Hangover films, is really shitty and plays up cheap racial stereotypes.

Edit: now that I think about it, his fried rice video is probably going to have a shit ton of kids doing that accent and those lines to Asian kids thinking they're in on the joke, when in reality they're stereotyping based on this racist caricature. In short, fuck this guy.

Last edited:

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I am conflicted on Uncle Roger.

My first impression was like many other folks in this thread (that it was basically Asian cooning), but the more I watched the more I found he just rags on white people all the time. So my opinion on him slightly changed.

The problem is I think the same thing that happened with stuff like the Chapelle Show. One day he'll find himself walking by some white people who are laughing at the wrong thing and figure out that, maybe while his intentions were good, by playing into the stereotypes he's making comedy that may be funny to two different communities for two separate reasons. One good, one bad.

Is he okay living with that? Chapelle wasn't ok with it, so let's see where Nigel lands.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

My first impression was like many other folks in this thread (that it was basically Asian cooning), but the more I watched the more I found he just rags on white people all the time. So my opinion on him slightly changed.

The problem is I think the same thing that happened with stuff like the Chapelle Show. One day he'll find himself walking by some white people who are laughing at the wrong thing and figure out that, maybe while his intentions were good, by playing into the stereotypes he's making comedy that may be funny to two different communities for two separate reasons. One good, one bad.

Is he okay living with that? Chapelle wasn't ok with it, so let's see where Nigel lands.

Yup. Honestly, I wonder if that's a personal journey for minorities. Like "damn, are they laughing AT me?"

And everyone has to go through it individually. Like Chris Rock(?) and black people vs niggas. Shit's hilarious if you're in on the joke, but I feel he had to realize for himself that white people took that shit TO HEART.

DEEPLY TO HEART.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda get the schtick, even though I don't follow his stuff.

I think his character appeals to people of my generation because the (somewhat exaggerated) accent and attitude is common in our parents' generation (first generation immigrants), but much less so among ours because we grew up in English-speaking countries. So the accent and the attitude can be funny to our generation because it's sort of like a kid doing an impression of his dad to his friends. It's really "shit my dad/uncle says" sort of humor. It's not new to do this - I saw these impressions among kids of my generation when growing up too. So I get the appeal, and I think that's what he means when he says he based his character on people he actually knows. It's not intended to be a caricature.

A lot of us do have fond memories of an older relative who is hilariously scathing at times. Some people of that generation are really good at ranting about shit. Like, they may not be nearly as good at English as you, but they are a million times better than you will ever be at roasting or sassing whatever the hell they feel like.

Having said that, I can also see how the character can be seen as a caricature by others, and how it can be used by some people as a way to enable or defend harmful stereotypes. His brand of humor can most definitely be misused in that way, even if he himself is not trying to do so.

Last edited:

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As the child of Asian immigrants, I both understand the basis of his humour and feel a little uncomfortable with the extent of the caricaturization. I mean, it was funny, as far as second gen immigrant humour goes, which is a pretty narrow comedic space, and I've made similar jokes in private about white people, just without the accent, so I can't hate him too much for it. This kind of humour is what passes for solidarity among my generation.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
I found him funny at first, and some of his quips were witty. But it's mostly just uncomfortable for me to watch now, I think because I'm increasingly aware of how affected the mannerisms are.

I hate his schtick too - it's custom made to entertain white people.

I think this is the root of it.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
His comedy is one of a second generation immigrant making jokes about their parent's culture.

He can switch off his accent and blend in.

So he's not what he pretends to be in his act.

I find it distasteful

He's a first generation immigrant. He was born and raised in Malaysia. He moved to the US after high school and to the UK after that.

Not to say that the general opinion here is wrong, I'm sure a huge portion of his audience is laughing for the wrong reasons. I don't really think it's fair to say he's doing it in bad faith or trying to appeal to that audience though.

Last edited:

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This dude's gimmick has a shelf-life of about 3 months. People will tire of it pretty quickly.

if you hate the guy, just wait a few minutes and he will disappear.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I watched a few of his videos and they made me uncomfortable, but that isn't my culture so I can't really speak on it.

But as black man i can say that kinda of stuff can be done but you always walking a razor's edge. Tyler Perry can do his stuff because alot of the jokes are written for people that grew up with that kinda of stuff, things the mainstream wouldn't pickup.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017

Well, here's the thing: his character contributes to his routine, but his character isn't the routine. The actual part of the comedy is his roasts -- and they're particularly funny (and particularly poignant) because of the character he inhabits.

Let me put it in better terms: Uncle Roger, by using comedy, made more awareness of white people/culture coming into Asian spaces than most online commentary. Both the BBC and Jaime Oliver videos were absolutely atrocious, but it took a comedy routine to make people aware of how poorly made those productions were. At the same time, it also highlighted someone who did it well -- Gordon Ramsay -- and why Ramsay did it well, and garnered a comment from him too!

He's a first generation immigrant. He moved to the US after high school and to the UK after that.

He also has remnants of his Malaysian accent, too. You can tell from his natural speaking voice. Like, for those that are disparaging his routine, he is making a play on his own experiences both as an immigrant and someone who grew up in that culture. And, as he has mentioned in numerous interviews, the Uncle Roger character comes from a place of endearment.

Also, he collabs with other Asian groups too, so he gets a pass from me.

edit:

I watched a few of his videos and they made me uncomfortable, but that isn't my culture so I can't really speak on it.

But as black man i can say that kinda of stuff can be done but you always walking a razor's edge. Tyler Perry can do his stuff because alot of the jokes are written for people that grew up with that kinda of stuff, things the mainstream wouldn't pickup.

He's absolutely writing for the people who grew up with this stuff.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I know as a black guy, I wouldn't be cool with somebody shuckin and jivin putting on a fake blaccent so I'll go with not being ok with this either

I was thinking the same thing.

Racial dynamics are not the same for all of us, so I will keep my judgment to myself, but this does make me a little uncomfortable.

The Chappelle Show example is particularly poignant. Chapelle made a ton of salient points and spoke to power often, but at the same time he played into all those stereotypes, so it is no wonder that some people received it in the way they did.

All that said, I am a black man, not an Asian man, so the experiences are different. And I cannot fault a brother for getting paper.

lowendtheory

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
People who are calling this merely a funny accent kind of miss the point though. There are so many little and brilliant nuances that you'll only pick up if you grew up in the culture, as I and other posters in this thread have. The only thing he's really missing is a wooden spoon.

But I guess that's kind of the danger of this type of comedy. As this thread shows, it's so easy to reduce it all to just a stereotypical accent.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
People who are calling this merely a funny accent kind of miss the point though. There are so many little and brilliant nuances that you'll only pick up if you grew up in the culture, as I and other posters in this thread have. The only thing he's really missing is a wooden spoon.

But I guess that's kind of the danger of this type of comedy. As this thread shows, it's so easy to reduce it all to just a stereotypical accent.

The bits about not cooking rice in time had me howling.

For my immigrant household, that was literally my one job to help out my parents since I got home from school earlier than they did. (edit: actually two jobs, I had to wash veggies too)

sandyph

Oct 31, 2017
I hate his schtick too - it's custom made to entertain white people.
eh, his video is very popular here in South East Asia and I don't think there's that many white people around

I'm glad that other people on era are finally turning on this, instead of constantly quoting the couple of Singaporean posters who says it was totally cool, as if they spoke for all Asian people

I always feels that us SE-Asians are not what the typical Asians that Westerners thinks about so maybe this is some kind of culture clash.
I've been traveling to east asian (Japan/China/S.Korea) and south Asian (India) and Middle East (Saudi/UAE) and the 'Asians' there are night and days compared to each others.

maybe we need to stop grouping 4.5 Billions people into 1 single word ?

lowendtheory

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
The bits about not cooking rice in time had me howling.

For my immigrant household, that was literally my one job to help out my parents since I got home from school earlier than they did. (edit: actually two jobs, I had to wash veggies too)
Yeah! Stuff like that, and using your finger to measure the water level, are absolutely hilarious because they're bits that are true, obscure, and utterly embedded in our childhood development. I can understand why well-meaning people who didn't grow up in similar cultures can simplify it all to "oh he's making jokes about Asian people cooking rice and that's a bad stereotype to make fun of." Except it's true. We do cook rice, and we were taught to cook it in a very particular way, and that seeing that shit reflected is insanely hilarious to me.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah! Stuff like that, and using your finger to measure the water level, are absolutely hilarious because they're bits that are true, obscure, and utterly embedded in our childhood development. I can understand why well-meaning people who didn't grow up in similar cultures can simplify it all to "oh he's making jokes about Asian people cooking rice and that's a bad stereotype to make fun of." Except it's true. We do cook rice, and we were taught to cook it in a very particular way, and that seeing that shit reflected is insanely hilarious to me.
Lol using the finger joint to check the water level thing. I grew up with that too and it was literally one of the first things I learned about cooking. Whenever I see a cooking show where a white person gives that tip as if it's some sort of super secret trick, I roll my eyes.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the fried rice video and felt both a mixture of amusement and awkwardness. I'm too ignorant of his culture and lived experiences to pick up on any of the nuance, so the conflict was there for me, and ultimately it isn't really my place to say what should be done with such a character. He seems like a decent human being though, but I hope none of his good fortune comes at the expense of these videos running into the wall of white people's gaze and ignorance.

lowendtheory

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
I watched the fried rice video and felt both a mixture of amusement and awkwardness. I'm too ignorant of his culture and lived experiences to pick up on any of the nuance, so the conflict was there for me, and ultimately it isn't really my place to say what should be done with such a character. He seems like a decent human being though, but I hope none of his good fortune comes at the expense of these videos running into the wall of white people's gaze and ignorance.
I think SRG01 made a really good point about the rice videos. Yeah, on the surface, it can seem stereotypical. But i think we can also make a case for it as an act of reclamation. Like, yeah motherfuckers, we make rice, and we do it better than anyone in the world.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
It's weird and pretty sus that he's an Asian dude and the only Asian character he can think of to help push more Asian representation is the Asian stereotype of having a shitty Hollywood accent that white people love to mimic to make fun of Asians.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
as a first gen australian w/malaysian-chinese background his char annoys the shit out of me but it's mostly from like just not really liking that style of humour than anything else

like it's accurate, i absolutely know people/family/family friends/'uncles' like that, but that doesn't mean it's not annoying

It's a fake accent he does.

wonder what the division is between a fake accent and a real accent you can just turn on or off is. like dude lived and grew up in malaysia, almost certainly that was how he spoke english until he lived overseas for a while. just cos you can code switch doesn't make one or the other accents fake imho

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
as a first gen australian w/malaysian-chinese background his char annoys the shit out of me but it's mostly from like just not really liking that style of humour than anything else

like it's accurate, i absolutely know people/family/family friends/'uncles' like that, but that doesn't mean it's not annoying

wonder what the division is between a fake accent and a real accent you can just turn on or off is. like dude lived and grew up in malaysia, almost certainly that was how he spoke english until he lived overseas for a while. just cos you can code switch doesn't make one or the other accents fake imho

I 100% code switch between a strong Canto-English accent and near-perfect English depending on my environment and who I'm speaking to -- as well as code switch between perfect Cantonese pronunciation and an English pronunciation, again, depending on my environment and who I'm speaking to.