• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
do benji's predictions ever turn out to be true? he was predicting really strong sales for control.

The majority of his predictions turn out to be on the whole true. Using Control and DS, both of which were super early pre-order metrics long before reviews or proper marketing had even begun as a means to discredit his credibility entirely, would be daft. He has access to pre-order and sales data, but obviously that data, especially when it's super early, isn't always going to tell the full story.

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The majority of his predictions turn out to be on the whole true. Using Control and DS, both of which were super early pre-order metrics long before reviews or proper marketing had even begun as a means to discredit his credibility entirely, is daft. He has access to pre-order and sales data, but obviously that data, especially when it's super early, isn't always going to tell the full story.

Assuming that the bolded is addressed to me, that us really unfair. I always was on Benji's side whilst he was here and that remains true. I was only asking for clarity on something that generated a lot of discussion around here. There's no need to be like this.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Assuming that the bolded is addressed to me, that us really unfair. I always was on Benji's side whilst he was here and that remains true. I was only asking for clarity on something that generated a lot of discussion around here. There's no need to be like this.

No, it wasn't directed at you don't worry.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
so just a few quick estimates from me:

1. Switch Hardware revenue is higher than last year according to Matt. But this year we have the switch lite, which represents a much lower pricetag. So sold-through units should be clearly above last years numbers (1,36 Mio.), i would estimate 1.5 to 1.6 Mio. switch units at least

2. Pokemon has the highest launch of the franchise in dollar sales. If we assume an ordinary pricetag of 40 Dollars for Sun/Moon and 60 Dollars for Sw/Sh, this means that the sold units of Sw/Sh should be at least about 2.13 Mio. Of course, this is just a rough estimation, but I think it will be close to the facts :)

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Pokémon doing better than Sun/Moon at retail is insane, what a massive performance! I wonder how big the hardware went. I guess it didn't do record numbers as Mat didn't make mention of it beating any records.

do benji's predictions ever turn out to be true? he was predicting really strong sales for control.
As was Mat Piscatella, btw:

Benji's predictions turn out right most of the time, in fact. It's just people here latch on to the wrong ones to discredit and insult him.

Tetriso

Banned
Nov 19, 2019
User Banned (1 Day): Platform warring
The witcher 3 on switch bombed.
Bad ports doesn't sell well I guess.
I don't blame the devs though, bad hardware is bad.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I think people know they're different, the issue is if you've just bought NSMBU, odds are you're not really looking to spend another $50+ on another 2D Mario even if it's a different style of experience so soon. Or it's putting people in a position where they have to choose one or the other.
Pretty much. I just wanted to play a 2D Mario and had little interest in creating levels myself. So i bought NSMBU Deluxe. If that game hadn´t existed i might have considered to buy MM 2 just for the 2D J´n´R part.

Tetriso

Banned
Nov 19, 2019
dude witcher 3 came out in october, and charted in the switch top 10 (#8) in NPD last month. you tried this yesterday too, with false information.

#8 in first month is bad for a port like the witcher 3, that game took a lot of money and effort to port.
I'm not surprised the game bombed tbh, this was the trend for a lot of switch big third party games this year.
Like we have astral chain, DxM, Ultimate Alliance 3, Yokai Watch 4 (Japan).
Guess big publisher ignoring releasing their games for Switch was right after all

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
DS was never going to be a top seller, bruvs. Game is too wackadoo. Now COD and Star Wars? That's shit people can wrap their heads around.

Oct 25, 2017
Something a lot of people aren't really talking about. I'm somewhat surprised NFS charted pretty decently, considering how the last entry went, but I guess alright reviews and such a fast discount helped it.

Deleted member 59

The majority of his predictions turn out to be on the whole true. Using Control and DS, both of which were super early pre-order metrics long before reviews or proper marketing had even begun as a means to discredit his credibility entirely, would be daft. He has access to pre-order and sales data, but obviously that data, especially when it's super early, isn't always going to tell the full story.

The only information Benji has access to is pre-orders/sales figures from where he works, (redacted due to request from a concerned member of this community,) He then uses this as a mdoel, when in reality it's like less than 5% of the market there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
DS being behind Pokemon/Star Wars/Madden/CoD is not a bomb fucking lol. Usual suspects chimed in with their yikes though.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
was hoping to see DS in the top 5 but I guess word of mouth didn't let it happen. Kinda sucks for the game as hyped as it was post launch conversation dried up real fast. Curious what Kojima's next game is gonna be
If you bunch up the Pokemon SKUs as 1 game, DS is in the top 5 and of the most competitive month of the year. Its the second best selling exclusive behind Pokemon of the month. The game did great for a new IP and it has a lot of pages in the OT so I don't understand that comment about post launch conversation.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

I don't think reviews hurt Death Stranding so much its WOM. I mean, if review scores were this powerful, Days Gone shouldn't have sold as well as it did and we wouldn't have acclaim flops.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
CoD is still going strong after all these years. Modern Warfare is a great game, so i'm not surprised.

Any words on Witcher 3 Switch? I reserved some judgement from October since it was a mid-month release, but its already out of the Switch top 10 in November, so there is nothing to go by. Doesnt seem to have done very well sales wise. Unfortunately, since it seems to be a very solid port.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I've got no beef with Benji but in September before NPDs(so post release) he was still saying that Control would place in the Top 10 and that Astral Chain wouldn't. It was a definite miss on his behalf, but that happens sometimes.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
CoD is still going strong after all these years. Modern Warfare is a great game, so i'm not surprised.

Any words on Witcher 3 Switch? I reserved some judgement from October since it was a mid-month release, but its already out of the Switch top 10 in November, so there is nothing to go by. Doesnt seem to have done very well sales wise. Unfortunately, since it seems to be a very solid port.

What we've got so far from CDPR I believe is that Q3 had like 40% higher revenue this year compared to last - attributed Switcher 3 as key part of why.
Or something like that.. but no exact numbers.

I wouldnt put much thought in to it already being out of the top 10. As the ones on the top 10 are likely very good selling in a month, especially in a month with high sales like November.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
I am a bit disappointed about Ringfits Performance. In Japan it seems to perform much better than in some western markets.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the fake concern for DS is definitely obvious. I don't even mess with Kojima stuff like that but a new IP against Pokemon, COD and Star Wars is something y'all are really acting like aren't heavy hitters? Its corny.

Pokemon taking those 3 slots are like wow. I bought the double pack on a cute sale, so I'm glad I didn't have to spend double to money for both, aye!

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
What we've got so far from CDPR I believe is that Q3 had like 40% higher revenue this year compared to last - attributed Switcher 3 as key part of why.
Or something like that.. but no exact numbers.

I wouldnt put much thought in to it already being out of the top 10. As the ones on the top 10 are likely very good selling in a month, especially in a month with high sales like November.
Thanks for the info.

About top 10, thats true, but it was at #8 in the Switch chart last month, and Witcher 3 (all SKUs) didnt reappear in the top 20 general charts either, so i'm unsure about it having a strong opening. Thats why i wanted to wait to November to see if an extra month (and in a stronger selling month as you mention) had any noticeable impact. But without knowing, Witcher 3 Switch might have been on #11 place in the Switch chart, and #11 in November might have sold more than #8 in October. Hopefully we will get some milestone update at least =) (like if it reaches 1 million copies sold or something worldwide).

Last edited:

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

Astral Chain was a success according to Platinum.

Daemon x Machina still getting contents.

Yo-kai Watch 4 did terribly on PS4 too therefore it's disingenuous thinking it's Switch fault.

There are plenty of third party games selling well on Switch.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
#8 in first month is bad for a port like the witcher 3, that game took a lot of money and effort to port.
I'm not surprised the game bombed tbh, this was the trend for a lot of switch big third party games this year.
Guess big publisher ignoring releasing their games for Switch was right after all

How on Earth did Astral Chain bomb?

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Astral Chain was a success according to Platinum.

Daemon x Machina still getting contents.

Yo-kai Watch 4 did terribly on PS4 too therefore it's disingenuous thinking it's Switch fault.

There are plenty of third party games selling well on Switch.
How on Earth did Astral Chain bomb?

Guys I would recommend checking the person's post history before trying to rationally argue with them about sales numbers. It doesn't really make sense and I would not be surprised if it's an alt/troll account. :)

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Guys I would recommend checking the person's post history before trying to rationally argue with them about sales numbers. It doesn't really make sense and I would not be surprised if it's an alt/troll account. :)

You can't just assume people are alt account... But you like Castlevania, don't you?

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Big drop YoY for the general market.
Great result for Pokémon. Shame we didn't get numbers, but a franchise record is always good news.
Can we also take a moment for Madden NFL 20? That game does well every year of course, but it's been charting high every month since July!

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
It's in $ sales not units. $120~ compared to $60. I don't consider it surprising. If it was in units than I'd be surprised.
considering the Sun/Moon dual pakc didnt chart at all, where the price was 2x the price of a single copy too, it is surprising to see it chart at all, nevermind higher than a individual sku.
It means unit sales of dual pack are at least 50% of unit sales of Shield alone.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine thinking that Death Stranding will beat sports/pokemon/star wars/cod. For the type of game Death Stranding is #7 is incredible and just shows the brand power Kojima has in the most competitive month of the year. I don't see DS hitting top 10 next month but top 20 is a lock.