• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
It's revenue based so it probably didn't sell more overall units than shield
It 100% didnt.
Price of Dual pack is 2x of single copy.

sword is above dual pack so its at least 2x unit sales of dual pack.
Dual pack is higher than shield, so unit sales are at least 50% of Shield.
Combining the two gives a range of up to 24 % of unit sales for Dual Pack.
At the high end dual pack is 24%, Sword is 48% and shield 28% unit sales.
It cant be more than 24%, since at 25% it would account for 50% of total revenue, and thus overtake Sword.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
LM3 is an 86. Death Stranding is a 82
Gotcha, thanks.
Yes so? I didn't say it was the only factor. I'm saying people were predicting DS would review extremely highly and I'm saying that would have driven sales massively. That's not the same as saying games sell equivalent to the reviews they get.
I think the expectation, right or wrong, for Death Stranding was for it to be a medium-defining title like Kojima's titles have been in the past. That it didn't score that way at all is pretty telling about its polarization among the folks that you would expect to be into it the most.
That all makes sense, thanks for the explanations.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The overreaction is so embarrassing that even MatP of the NPD had to clarify that Death Stranding did well last month LOL
Didn't you expect significantly more than 4m units sold for Death Stranding in its first year ?

I think Death Stranding did fine personally but I recall some high expectations but maybe I am misremembering.

Deleted member 1722

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like 7th is good for DS. Especially consider the top spots are 3x Pokémon, Cal of Duty, Star Wars and Madden.

Gles

Aug 4, 2019
Sad that we don't get numbers from NPD, would love to know the numbers for Pokemon shield lol.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Context is key. Take a look at the top 6 games instead of just the number.
as has been pointed out, ignoring its position in the chart it still had a weaker launch than sony's past several big games. even compared to new IPs like horizon and (probably) days gone.
you can check people's expectations pre launch. a lot of people were expecting a new horizon, a huge new IP that can do 10 million lifetime.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How can Division 2 be in the top selling but not meet expectations from Ubi. Man they must have really over estimated.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding probably can look at Madden as, oh, maybe it should've topped that but for everything else on that list come ON. I can't believe anyone here thinks that's a bad performance in a month as obscenely competitive as November. The real question since this is a dollar amount list is how bolstered the SE and Baby Edition made that number.

Oct 31, 2017
as has been pointed out, ignoring its position in the chart it still had a weaker launch than sony's past several big games. even new IPs like horizon and (probably) days gone.
you can check people's expectations pre launch. a lot of people were expecting a new horizon, a huge new IP that can do 10 million lifetime.

It's already been pointed out that a number 1 game in November is significantly different than one in February (like Horizon). Revenue is overall higher in November because there are significantly more sales and it's more competitive. What we know from NPD is that it did fine.

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said 3-4M lifetime in the sales thread on DS. Unless there are backend legs I think it's still likely accurate

3-4 LTD

new franchise and the structure will put people off. It's falling right before major blockbusters like COd and Star Wars. I expect discounts by Black Friday.

Some of these predictions are absurd and put way too much stock in Kojimas name outside of MGS. This is a polarizing game that isn't targeted at a broader crowd. It's sales would always be capped unless it didn't go as weird or punishing as it did. Why get this game when you can get Star Wars or CoD if you are the broader audience?

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
as has been pointed out, ignoring its position in the chart it still had a weaker launch than sony's past several big games. even compared to new IPs like horizon and (probably) days gone.
Kojima's best selling previous game was what MGSV or 2 at 6 million copies spread across multiple consoles. DS seems like it would be a success based on his previous release record assuming it sold well but not as good as the juggernauts of COD, Madden and Pokemon.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Didn't you expect significantly more than 4m units sold for Death Stranding in its first year ?

I think Death Stranding did fine personally but I recall some high expectations but maybe I am misremembering.

First year? It has barely had its first month of sales, relax lol.

I don't think I ever said it would sell 4 million year one, but I think it'll definitely sell at least 5 million in its lifetime. It definitely isn't a "bomba" or anything remotely considered a flop even at this point of its sales.

Sep 25, 2018
The overreaction is so embarrassing that even MatP of the NPD had to clarify that Death Stranding did well last month LOL

you not using context properly yes it sold well for a Sony game but a Sony game do not sell as much as Nintendo games right now Nintendo got more games sold ten million than Sony while Sony use more bundles to boost their numbers compare to Nintendo

the point is let's use an example if the 7th spot means it sold 300k for the month is that really good or do we lower the curve because Sony games sell less than Nintendo games and by lowering the curve it do not looo as bad compared to other Sony games

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
you not using context properly yes it sold well for a Sony game but a Sony game do not sell as much as Nintendo games right now Nintendo got more games sold ten million than Sony while Sony use more bundles to boost their numbers compare to Nintendo

the point is let's use an example if the 7th spot means it sold 300k for the month is that really good or do we lower the curve because Sony games sell less than Nintendo games and by lowering the curve it do not looo as bad compared to other Sony games
It's 7th behind some of the most popular game franchises of all time. Titles that'll likely hit 10-20m sold before their next entry comes out in 1-2 years.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
User Warned: Platform Warring
Well people wasted no time trashing Death Stranding even though that's as good of a performance it could have hoped to have. Maybe self-proclaimed Nintendo fans should stop talking about Death Stranding.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
But marketing and costs for hiring actors would have easily offset the savings of using GG's engine, not to mention I believe Kojima had already developed a lot of DS using another engine beforehand.

Considering that many of the actors are open fans of Kojima who spoke out about the fallout with Konami, they may have offered their time at a discounted price. And since most of the actual acting is them talking in a room then recording time probably went quickly.

Do you have any sources about DS being done on an earlier engine? And would that have been before Koji Pro started getting funding from Sony?

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
DS stranding looks like it did well to me. Cracked the top 10 as a new game that is unlike anything else. Also, most people had no idea what it was even about. I never even saw it as a game with super wide mass appeal, at least not in the same way as MGS. Plus everything above it are huge titles with established fanbases.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I forgot Death Stranding was launching on PC. It will be fine

I feel like expectations were much higher for Death Stranding some time ago (even Matt had predicted it to be a top 10 selling title of the year at the halfway point and it absolutely will not be) but those were reigned in closer to launch.

Also Smash is gonna be top 10 selling game 2 years in a row, let's go

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Hardware

Hardware spending in November 2019 declined 26% compared to YA, to $891m. YTD HW spending has fallen 24% versus YA, to $2.9B. Only Nintendo Switch is showing year-to-date hardware sales growth.

Nintendo Switch was again the best-selling hardware platform of November and remains the best-selling platform of 2019.

And this is dollar sales, which mean units YOY growth should be even more impressive considering this year there was Switch lite at 199$.

Very curious to see the numbers...

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
So basically top 10 did big numbers then? DS a flop to you guys is odd but whateva.

Looks like NFS did better than Payback even if the charts say otherwise only because the 3 Pokemon games getting counted. And not shocking COD did monster numbers.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018

What the? I had no idea this was a Sony vs. Nintendo game sales thread. Is this why some of you are dumping on Death Stranding's debut? All the games in the top 10 had great debuts when you consider the popularity of the series (Star Wars, Pokemon, etc.). Kojima isn't a series lol and this was a new IP,, so of course Death Stranding wasn't going to have a debut that would topple series that are also media powerhouses.

Deleted member 8784

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holy crap at Smash Bros Ultimate's sales overtaking Brawl. That's not something I'd have expected so quickly, especially considering the long tail of these games.

Also interesting that the Sword and Shield double pack sold more than Shield alone. Are shields really that lame compared to swords? (yes)

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
The used marker is flooded with copies of death stranding at half retail price already. I'm trying to sell my copy and there's no interest even at that price.
Not sure how well it did for but I hope well enough because I don't see this one having any legs.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Some rough estimates using Pokemon at 2.75m and a Sword/Shield split of 60/40 (akin to the other markets).

3. Pokémon Sword : ~1.25m
4. Double pack : 400k
5. Pokémon Shield : ~ 700k

So Death Stranding probably in the 500k-650k range ? (it had some more expensive versions)

Pokémon in the US first 2 days (digital included) : 2m
Pokémon in the Americas at the end of November : 3m-3.5m (digital included)
Pokémon S/M opening month : 3.2m (estimate)

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Holy crap at Smash Bros Ultimate's sales overtaking Brawl.

8784.jpg

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
DS could have got 95 on MC and it would have still only gotten 6th at best. You ain't beating out massive franchises that have huge fanbases.

I don't think scores matter all that much. It will boost sales a little , thats about it. Even Days gone sold a lot with "just" a 70 something on MC.

Holy crap at Smash Bros Ultimate's sales overtaking Brawl. That's not something I'd have expected so quickly, especially considering the long tail of these games.

I always thought Smash 4 beat Brawl? Or is it because they counted it as a 2 releases.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
The used marker is flooded with copies of death stranding at half retail price already. I'm trying to sell my copy and there's no interest even at that price.
Not sure how well it did for but I hope well enough because I don't see this one having any legs.
It's one of Sony's biggest launches and likely the second or third for a Kojima game.