• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Wescoast76

Tried to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Sep 22, 2018
Congrats to the ps4. In it's 6th year and still winning November npd's! Well deserved.

Sadly it's down significantly for the year, not sure what Sony can do since the Switch will be the most sold console at the end of the year in only its second year.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah PS4 December has potential to look really really weak for it. It was down YoY already in November. December wont have Cyber Monday and it appears they have no major deals planned.

It's entirely possible PS4 finishes in 3rd place this year for December and Switch ends up the best selling hardware for 2018. Because Switch December will be a monster

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Oh yeah, Switch is destroying 3DS launch aligned right now.

3DS Month 21 (November 2012): 6.49M
NSW Month 21 (November 2018): 8.74M

3DS sold 540K that November and 1.25M in December.

Now the next "challenge" (That Switch will beat easily) is outselling Wii U + 3DS up to Month 22, which is 10.42M. Switch just needs to sell 1.68M in December.

Combined LTD for both Wii U + 3DS is probably going to end up being ~29M so Switch is going to blow that away. Just for those that bring up comparing Switch to those 2 on whether or not it's a "success" or "disappointment".

Worth noticing that Switch software is selling way better and at a higher price too + bigger volume of sales through eShop and DLC (3DS eShop was still relatively new back then).

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I never said the psp wasn't successful I was saying it's a handheld so it's not what I was counting with my original statement.

My original point was any console t(not portable) that sold over 30 usually has their first two years as the weakest sales wise then hits its peak before tapering off in its final years. The argument that ps4 should be tapering off is not necessarily correct.

Riiight. Sony had no need to worry abou slow PS3 sells at first because it's the "weak" years. Lol

Nintendo will still be up YOY because of Smash and Christmas.

XB1 and PS4 will most likely be down because November was down even with Cyber Monday. XB1 could manage a decent YOY decline depending on how well the deals help sales. PS4 will probably look like a disaster (well under 1M) if Sony doesn't drop the price next week.

XB1 could benefit from Sony's lack of promotional price too but as far as Switch goes if it's up I don't see it being these astronomical numbers people have been predicting. Just a modest increase or flat. 1.5M is still an amazing number.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly it's down significantly for the year, not sure what Sony can do since the Switch will be the most sold console at the end of the year in only its second year.

You think Sony are disappointed in smashing their own yearly hardware targets again? PS4 is selling like crazy in its twilight years and way above expectations. Just because Switch is also selling great great Sony need to "do something"? Nahh

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Riiight. Sony had no need to worry abou slow PS3 sells at first because it's the "weak" years. Lol

XB1 could benefit from Sony's lack of promotional price too but as far as Switch goes if it's up I don't see it being these astronomical numbers people have been predicting. Just a modest increase or flat. 1.5M is still an amazing number.
I guess it depends.

Did Benji imply a King Kong monster or a King Ghidorah monster?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question at this point is if Smash can be your new number 1 biggest launch month ever for an exclusive. Not if it can beat Brawl

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So that 3 million+ Smash December coming.......

tenor.gif

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah PS4 December has potential to look really really weak for it. It was down YoY already in November. December wont have Cyber Monday and it appears they have no major deals planned.

It's entirely possible PS4 finishes in 3rd place this year for December and Switch ends up the best selling hardware for 2018. Because Switch December will be a monster
Is Smash still pushing sales hard a week after release?

Edit: Well, your follow up post probably confirms that.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018

Wescoast76

Tried to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Sep 22, 2018
You think Sony are disappointed in smashing their own yearly hardware targets again? PS4 is selling like crazy in its twilight years and way above expectations. Just because Switch is also selling great great Sony need to "do something"? Nahh

Yes, read Benji's posts. PS4 might possibly end up third at the end of the year. That's not a good result.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Doesn't really matter if PS4 shows a weaker December than expected. The platform is mature, it has a huge installed base and full third party support + lively digital adoption ratio.

What's most interesting is to see how Switch will perform as it's its second December.

Evangelista

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Top 5 Home Console Decembers

WII 2009 - 3.81M
PS2 2002 - 2.69M
WII 2010 - 2.36M
WII 2008 - 2.15M
PS2 2001 - 1.95M

3.9M actually.

Gap will most likely shrink in December like last year. 4M won't happen until the middle of 2019.
I think Benji said XboxONE is having a rough December for the first week. So I'm not sure if the gap will shrink this month.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, read Benji's posts. PS4 might possibly end up third at the end of the year. That's not a good result.

You misread his post. Third is possible for the month of december, not the full year. PS4 has more than a million units lead above the Xbox One for the year so far.

PS4 at worst will be down YoY by some margin but even then we'll have to see the official quarterly results some days after in January to see if that's also the trend worldwide.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It shouldn't matter. Everybody's doing great.

Honestly yeah

In terms of 2018 there isnt any "loser". Everyone has had a tremendous year. Obviously it's still fun to discuss placements and who is selling the best, but trying to paint any of the 3 as having a bad year in the US is crazy talk.

People should enjoy it while it lasts because next year will likely be much worse

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017

He meant third in December, not for the year. Third for the year would be a disaster considering its almost a million ahead of XB1. I'd be quite surprised if PS4 isn't third this month, XB1 actually has deals and they are good. Should be at least a couple hundred k ahead of PS4.

Question at this point is if Smash can be your new number 1 biggest launch month ever for an exclusive. Not if it can beat Brawl

Surely its going to take it since we have digital now, and Smash still has the Christmas period of sales to come.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
If Switch manages to outsell PS4 for the year thanks to December then Sony won't be anymore distraught than Nintendo was when PS4 kept winning most months of the year.

These companies don't actually care about petty console wars.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
You misread his post. Third is possible for the month of december, not the full year. PS4 has more than a million units lead above the Xbox One.

PS4 at worst will be down YoY by some margin but even then we'll have to see the official quarterly results some days after in January to see if that's also the trend worldwide.

I mean worldwide PS4 has been down yoy for whole year (when it comes to shipments). US has been the one against the trend and up yoy so far.