• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like I said

PS4 and Xbox One both down YoY (Xbox impresses me though. Down less than I thought)

Switch significantly up YoY

All 3 over 1 million

PS4 still leads the month but by a narrower margin than last year with it and Switch being very close in units.

People still doubt me?
You were doubting yourself with Nintendo.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said

PS4 and Xbox One both down YoY (Xbox impresses me though. Down less than I thought)

All 3 over 1 million

PS4 still leads the month but by a narrower margin than last year with it and Switch being very close in units.

People still doubt me?

How do you think cycber monday will effect Switch this dec since it in Nov this year .

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Rather poor result for Switch in my view, these numbers include a pretty big Cyber Monday after all, so the December sales might disappoint..

giphy.gif

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Guess back in day PS1 was monster in Dec .
So that is three 2 million plus Dec make sense since Nov was much weaker back then .

Back in the day Dec unit sales would be between 2 to 3x more than what was sold in November.
These days you'll find December is generally higher, but not significantly so.
Last year we saw PS4 and XB1 had lower sales in December. Which is just something you'd never see before. Black Friday deals are a much bigger..... deal.... these days.

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
These numbers are exactly what we needed to see to hit the 20 million forecast though. 75% up for November makes them about ~54% up for Q3, when they needed to be around 50% up for Q3. If December is also up at least 50% (and it probably should be with Smash vs XC2) then they're in fantastic shape.

Thats just US though. Japan is near flat and EU is unknown.

360 did better than 40m.

PS4 is kinda underperforming in USA, considering the WW trend. But it's justified by Xbox One being strong in US.

How much better than 40m?

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah because their PR conflicted with my data so I was really really confused.

In the end my gut and data was right though and their PR was underestimating the actual November sales.

Yup. Told you not to doubt yourself. You've been right on the money every time. The PR was wrong.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
This list should actually have PS1 entries for Dec 97, 98, 99.
But I don't think those numbers are public.

December used to be a much bigger month but now we're getting to the point where November is much bigger chunk of sales.

Interesting. Do you have any idea if even older consoles would make the list. Like NES or SNES?

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
It looks like 20M shipments in FY is confirmed. Those are massive numbers.

Not really, not even close. they need to sell 5m units more than the last fiscal year to do it, and now they pulled 0.5m ahead from November in the US.
17-18m is much more realistic at this point.
Does anyone think the Switch can do 2 million for December?

With the momentum from Super Smash Bros, Pokemon, Mario Party and others, yup! I think it can.
I wish if Benji can share his thoughts.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

UK seems to be doing its part too, being 50% up over the past few weeks.

And Japan is up now in sell-through (according to MC) and is definitely up significantly in terms of shipments, since it was essentially sold out all year last Q3.

Yeah because their PR conflicted with my data so I was really really confused.

In the end my gut and data was right though and their PR was underestimating the actual November sales.

Yeah Nintendo's PR often underestimates their sales significantly. I guess to them it's better than overestimating.

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These numbers are exactly what we needed to see to hit the 20 million forecast though. 75% up for November makes them about ~54% up for Q3, when they needed to be around 50% up for Q3. If December is also up at least 50% (and it probably should be with Smash vs XC2) then they're in fantastic shape.

Being 50% up on Q3 would put Switch at 15.93m. For 20 million Nintendo needs to ship 4.07m in Q4 (Last year they shipped 2.92m).

I think 4 million for Q4 is a little too much.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Being 50% up on Q3 would put Switch at 15.93mm. For 20 million Nintendo needs to ship 4.07m in Q4 (Last year they shipped 2.92m).

I think 4 million for Q4 is a little too much.

Well I've always said the path to 20M was ~11M in Q3 and ~4M in Q4, so yeah while it's definitely a lot it's probably their only real shot.

It's by no means guaranteed of course, just possible now.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really, not even close. they need to sell 5m units more than the last fiscal year to do it, and now they pulled 0.5m ahead from November in the US.
17-18m is much more realistic at this point.

That's not how it works...

By the end of Q3 Japan will be significantly up and every data we have shows that it's also way up in Europe. And EU has better December deals than US.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about this.

Data prior to 1995 is hard to find and also unreliable.

Oh. Shame. I would imagine that at least NES would be up there though (as Nintendo shipped about 9.3 million units to Americas between September 1988 - 1989) and December used to be bigger part of the holidays than nowadays like you said.

Jssom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Like I said

All 3 over 1 million

People still doubt me?

Benji, I join the other members in appreciating the insights you give

but...

Was it you or other insiders that hinted XBox 1 gonna have a disappointing month? I think there were no hints that the console was moving unites , all the talk was about PS4 and Switch. Seeing the numbers Pork posted the sales are closer than anyone expected.

Can you explain that from your side?

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
That's not how it works...

They need to sell 5m units more than last year to achieve their goal, nothing wrong with that. I'm just trying to estimate how much more they can sell.

Keep in mind that these are sell-through numbers and the 20 million units forecast is shipped.

Yup, of course (and they over-shipped in Q4 last fiscal year, btw).

Honestly 2 million would be already a stellar result for Switch in december. Anything above 2.5m is kinda insane territory. Switch isn't Wii or DS.

I actually think Switch is a new phenomenon like the Wii, it is just priced higher and without a game like Wii.still, it will outperform it in the end, probably, and it will have much stronger software library with a user-base that Nintendo actually can maintain and fight for unlike Wii.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Also, in november Switch was just ~11% up YoY in Japan.

In sell-through. Likely far higher in shipments because remember, it was virtually sold out constantly last year including in November and December.

They need to SHIP 5m more. And NPD numbers are sell-in. And US is only a part of their global market.

Unless I'm mistaken sell-in = shipped= sold to retailers. Sell-through = sold to consumers.

So NPD numbers are sell-through, not sell-in.

El Manco

Oct 28, 2017
Like I said
People still doubt me?
Hi Benji,

First, thanks the useful info!

Then, is Switch actually closer to Xbox or to PS4?
The really BIG suprise here will be if Xbox leads in revenue thanks to X model bundles.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't need the Switch to be the Wii. The Wii was amazing, but ended very poorly. Switch get get less sales, but be more consistent through the latter years.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Benji, I join the other members in appreciating the insights you give

but...

Was it you or other insiders that hinted XBox 1 gonna have a disappointing month? I think there were no hints that the console was moving unites , all the talk was about PS4 and Switch. Seeing the numbers Pork posted the sales are closer than anyone expected.

Can you explain that from your side?

I just didnt really comment much on the Xbox this month other than it being down YoY

That said it certainly did better than I had expected. Inwas thinking it was going to be more around 1.1 - 1.2ish. My guess would be a very strong Cyber Mobday for it, as they still had a lot of inventory of the Minecraft Holiday bundle in stock while PS4 was essentially sold out.

I believe it was another insider who said that Xbox would have an outright poor month. Considering I was still projecting it over 1 million it certainly wasnt me.

jeromeSF

Nov 2, 2017
So, Sony shipped less units than last year for Black Friday? And no deals yet announced for December. That's surprising...

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
Damn this is first time 3 home consoles did over 1M in a month. That is crazzzzy.

December is a wrap for Switch, Nintendo got that in the bag. With no deals for PS4 that I can see, they actually might come in 3rd. That COD bundle should have been 249 at least. Xbox numbers are indeed extremely impressive. With some random $249 deals, I can see it taking 2nd, but no way can I see Nintendo losing this momentum.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just didnt really comment much on the Xbox this month other than it being down YoY

That said it certainly did better than I had expected. Inwas thinking it was going to be more around 1.2ish. My guess would be a very strong Cyber Mobday for it, as they still had a lot of inventory of the Minecraft Holiday bundle in stock while PS4 was essentially sold out.

I believe it was another insider who said that Xbox would have an outright poor month. Considering I was still projecting it over 1 million it certainly wasnt me.

How's December looking for the big three right now? I'm guessing Switch sales on fire?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, Sony shipped less units than last year for Black Friday? And no deals yet announced for December. That's surprising...

Its more so that the early weeks for November were down quite a bit YoY

I mentioned this a while ago. Switch was outselling it for the month prior to BF

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
How is that "ice cold"? Lol

Also the Vita was not a successful system and I wouldn't include it on the list. Neither was the WiiU and my Criteria was "successful consoles" so we can also throw out the 3ds, psp and DS. So the list should look like this.

I'm reading this late so pardon if someone has corrected you since you said this, I haven't read any further yet, but the PlayStation Portable sold 82 million units. So I'd say your statement that it wasn't "successful" is flat out wrong.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
What leaks were out there put 360 over Wii in US (over 45M?), making it second best selling console in US to date. It nearly doubled the install-base from this point in time.

The 360 surpassed the Wii in November 2014 in the US.
But at this point both consoles weren't really selling much so the LTD gap between the two isn't really that significant.

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Retail title ranking:

1. COD
2. RDR2
3. Fallout76
4. Madden
5. NBA 2k
6. Let's Go Pikachu
7. Let's Go Eevee
8. FIFA
9. AC Odyssey
10. Battlefield V

RDR2 outsold COD on dollars, despite being (slightly) behind on units. Pokemon definitely combined for more units and sales than COD and RDR2.

3. Undeserved
10.Tragic for EA

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Retail title ranking:

1. COD
2. RDR2
3. Fallout76
4. Madden
5. NBA 2k
6. Let's Go Pikachu
7. Let's Go Eevee
8. FIFA
9. AC Odyssey
10. Battlefield V

RDR2 outsold COD on dollars, despite being (slightly) behind on units. Pokemon definitely combined for more units and sales than COD and RDR2.
Wow at the difference between Fallout and Battlefield. #3? Really? Much better than i expected.

Sounds like RDR2 and Black Ops 4 are pretty close at retail. I guess BO4 will do better with digital included.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I'm reading this late so pardon if someone has corrected you since you said this, I haven't read any further yet, but the PlayStation Portable sold 82 million units. So I'd say your statement that it wasn't "successful" is flat out wrong.

I think he removed PSP/DS/3DS because they're not classified as consoles by the NPD, not because he was saying they were not successful. Link.