• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So switch should end up the best selling console this year, possibly by some margin. Pretty impressive jump this month with the biggest game of the year by far still to come.

Amazing to see how well all 3 consoles did, the market seems very healthy right now.

Japan won't be 50% up but it'll still end up being s decent way ahead and it makes up a smaller portion of WW sales. Also I think we'll see the switch having a much stronger Q4 in Japan as well.

Regardless at this point you'd have to think if he swiarch misses the 20 million forecast it won't be by much. They're going to smash their SW forecast and revenue will be through the roof.
Question will be Q3, of course, since that's what we're studying in the US as well. I'm on mobile so I can't do a comparison for Media Create YoY, but maybe Japan won't fall quite as short when looking at Q3 specifically.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
For people questioning the inclusion of Spider-Man as to whether it was needed, I think it was to grab attention with a title which has mainstream appeal and kid friendly and also they have story dlc to upsell.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 - 1475k
XB1 - 1340k

So PS4 outsold XBOX by over 1 Million units in 2018 thus far?

1070k if my math is correct.

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly 2 million would be already a stellar result for Switch in december. Anything above 2.5m is kinda insane territory. Switch isn't Wii or DS.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Question will be Q3, of course, since that's what we're studying in the US as well. I'm on mobile so I can't do a comparison for Media Create YoY, but maybe Japan won't fall quite as short when looking at Q3 specifically.

I know it was mainly about what was required in Q3 but I'm just saying that even if the switch isn't quite up the 50% required in Q3 it might make up for that somewhat in Q4.

I could also see it ending up being up around 30-40% on the high end. Due to the smaller size of the market if the US can end up 55% as mentioned that should bring them close to what's required.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Honestly 2 million would be already a stellar result for Switch in december. Anything above 2.5m is kinda insane territory. Switch isn't Wii or DS.

Not yet it's not. Potentially pulling 20 million in its second year ok the market with no price cut, limited bundles and a fairly lacklustre lineup is impressive. Add in Pokémon gen 8, a revision + price drop and a generally stronger lineup and I think we might see the switch pulling those sort of numbers next year.

I wonder about that.
Think switch will end up like other consoles where Nov eat sales from Dec.

Nintendo tends to benefit more from Christmas and don't seem to provide as good deals in November so I see that impacting them less. At the very least the presence of smash bros will prevent that happening this year.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
The Switch December boost will be lessened because Cyber Monday was in November's tracking. Nintendo consoles do see a significant boost for Christmas though, so still expect massive sales. There's also Smash this year. Next year will have Pokemon Gen 8, a price cut, and a new model (if the rumors are true).

November wants to steal December sales so bad it took a whole week this year.

Oct 27, 2017
Some days ago, someone posted this about the biggest november ever :

Wii 2008 - 2.04m
360 2011 - 1.70m
PS4 2017 - 1.69m
PS4 2015 - 1.54m
XB1 2017 - 1.38m

Which means we have a new top 5 right now :

Wii 2008 - 2.04m
360 2011 - 1.70m
PS4 2017 - 1.69m
PS4 2015 - 1.54m
PS4 2018 - 1.48m

Someone should post the 5 biggest december so we can see what kind of target Switch could aim for.

Evangelista

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
PS4 has now surpassed PS3 LTD this month.

PS3 LTD: ~26.8M
PS4 LTD: ~27.5M

On the flip side, XB1 has fallen behind the Xbox 360 launch aligned.

360 LTD Month 61 (November 2010): ~23.57M
XB1 LTD Month 61 (November 2018): ~23.56M

Yes, it was that close. Xbox 360 sold 1.374M that month and then sold 1.86M in December.
So the difference is 4 million now.

Still think will grow to 6 million until end of this generation .

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Man I was pretty much spot on for the switch and PS4 but really blew the xbox prediction. Was really thinking it was going to be down big and yet it held almost even from last year which is amazing.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I like creative pork, that was fun.

Anyway incredible November for everyone, especially XB1. Nobody saw that coming.

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
Some days ago, someone posted this about the biggest november ever :

Wii 2008 - 2.04m
360 2011 - 1.70m
PS4 2017 - 1.69m
PS4 2015 - 1.54m
XB1 2017 - 1.38m

Which means we have a new top 5 right now :

Wii 2008 - 2.04m
360 2011 - 1.70m
PS4 2017 - 1.69m
PS4 2015 - 1.54m
PS4 2018 - 1.48m

Someone should post the 5 biggest december so we can see what kind of target Switch could aim for.

Top 5 Home Console Decembers

WII 2009 - 3.81M
PS2 2002 - 2.69M
WII 2010 - 2.36M
WII 2008 - 2.15M
PS2 2001 - 1.95M

So the difference is 4 million now.

Still think will grow to 6 million until end of this generation .
3.9M actually.

Gap will most likely shrink in December like last year. 4M won't happen until the middle of 2019.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

WII 2009 - 3.81M
PS2 2002 - 2.69M
WII 2010 - 2.36M
WII 2008 - 2.15M
PS2 2001 - 1.95M

3.9M actually.

Gap will most likely shrink in December like last year. 4M won't happen until the middle of 2019.
And this is exactly why this gap has been growing so slowly Sony always allows them to claw back. Just like the infamous 50 vs no 50 price cut back in 2014.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
great month for everyone, Switch killed it, Xbox One with the surprise finish, and PS4 is still chugging along despite being down

good stuff from pork too

shout out to everyone who gets annoyed when everyone wins because, well, everyone won

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
PS4 US sales are only a part of the equation. Worldwide the system is approaching 90 million iirc while XB1 is probably <50 million. They should do a price drop next year though, or maybe once the PS5 has been announced.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
As fun as it was to get NPD numbers today.. all I really wanted was PR regarding Smash.. :P

Is it likely it'll come today? or am I waiting in vain hehe

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As fun as it was to get NPD numbers today.. all I really wanted was PR regarding Smash.. :P

Nintendo may be waiting for it to hit a specific number like 10 million or something. If not we won't find out until their financial earnings in January.

DragoonKnight

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 12, 2018
Rather poor result for Switch in my view, these numbers include a pretty big Cyber Monday after all, so the December sales might disappoint..

Then again, they didn't release that many killer apps this year (only LGPE) so I guess it is a good result for what they provided to the market.

Xbox might win revenue. Unless there are deals I am not aware of.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Next week is probably our best chance now. I'm guessing they were waiting for it to pass a certain milestone like 10M sold or something before issuing PR.

Wescoast76

Tried to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Sep 22, 2018
Rather poor result for Switch in my view, these numbers inclufr Cyber Monday after all.

Then again, they didn't release that many killer apps (only LGPE) so I guess it is a good result for what they provided.

How is being the only console up yoy a "poor" result? Lmao

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Rather poor result for Switch in my view, these numbers inclufde Cyber Monday after all so the December sales might disappoint..

Then again, they didn't release that many killer apps this year (only LGPE) so I guess it is a good result for what they provided to the market.

In no reality can you call those Switch results "poor"

Evangelista

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
PS4 US sales are only a part of the equation. Worldwide the system is approaching 90 million iirc while XB1 is probably <50 million. They should do a price drop next year though, or maybe once the PS5 has been announced.
Xbox is around 39-40 million no more than that. To be 50 million they had to sold 16 million in 2018. Impossible. More around 7-8 million worldwide this year. Imagining us as only 60% for them.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rather poor result for Switch in my view, these numbers include a pretty big Cyber Monday after all, so the December sales might disappoint..

There had to be someone to say the Switch was poor results. 😔

DragoonKnight

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 12, 2018
How is being the only console up yoy a "poor" result? Lmao
In no reality can you call those Switch results "poor"
There had to be someone to say the Switch was poor results. 😔

It's poor relative to the target they want to hit at 20 million. Plus it has big Cyber Monday boost.

It's up, but I am not impressed by the absolute numbers. The others fell from greater heights (higher absolute numbers in Novembers of other years), while NSW still have some way to go to match their potential.

Last edited:

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

PS4 in US isn't strong at the level the WW number sugest it could be. Likely it's because XBO is much more stronger competitor in US than WW.

It's tracking ahead of PS2 and almost on par with Wii WW, but in US never sold even 6 million in a year. PS2, Wii and even 360 did that.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

WII 2009 - 3.81M
PS2 2002 - 2.69M
WII 2010 - 2.36M
WII 2008 - 2.15M
PS2 2001 - 1.95M

This list should actually have PS1 entries for Dec 97, 98, 99.
But I don't think those numbers are public.

December used to be a much bigger month but now we're getting to the point where November is much bigger chunk of sales.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
PS4 in US isn't strong at the level the WW number sugest it could be. Likely it's because XBO is much more stronger competitor in US than WW.

It's tracking ahead of PS2 and almost on par with Wii WW, but in US never sold even 6 million in a year. PS2, Wii and even 360 did that.
Xbox One has always been very competitive in US. Strong brand + aggressive promotions and deals by MS worked well.

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018

All time peaks are less relevant than LTDs. PS4 should end up at an LTD of 37-40 million in the US, which is up there.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

December used to be a much bigger month but now we're getting to the point where November is much bigger chunk of sales.

Guess back in day PS1 was monster in Dec .
So that is three 2 million plus Dec make sense since Nov was much weaker back then .

Wescoast76

Tried to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Sep 22, 2018
It's poor relative to the target they want to hit at 20 million. Plus it has big Cyber Monday boost.

It's up, but I am not impressed by the absolute numbers. The others fell from greater heights (higher absolute numbers), while NSW still have some way to go to match that potential.

It's going to hit 20 million.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

It's up, but I am not impressed by the absolute numbers.

These numbers are exactly what we needed to see to hit the 20 million forecast though. 75% up for November makes them about ~54% up for Q3, when they needed to be around 50% up for Q3. If December is also up at least 50% (and it probably should be with Smash vs XC2) then they're in fantastic shape.

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah I only use monthly data from Gen 6 onward.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a surprise ;)

Benji was right on the money again!

Like I said

PS4 and Xbox One both down YoY (Xbox impresses me though. Down less than I thought)

Switch significantly up YoY

All 3 over 1 million

PS4 still leads the month but by a narrower margin than last year with it and Switch being very close in units.

People still doubt me?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The official PR on Cyber Monday from Nintendo downplayed the results by 500k, how is this disappointing in that context?