• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People talking about XB1 and PS4 sales and I'm just here waiting for some fresh milk numbers.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
December will lack Cyber Monday tracking this year. COD launched a month earlier than normal so any hardware moving potential it normally has this late is even less this time around, and the only console releasing a major new game with hardware moving potential is Switch

Would love for PS4 and Xbox to have an amazing month but it's looking pretty unlikely to me. That said PS4 had a relatively soft December last year so it has an easier path to being up YoY than Xbox.

Xbox One will almost assuredly be down YoY
Yep I think PS4 will most certainly be up or flat YoY in December, last year they had not good bundles.

Did the Best game of the year award had any impact on God of War sales ? Apparently it's sold out on every major online sellers. Really odd for such a game to be sold out like that beginning of December.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
Would a software sales record like "Best Selling Month for Single-Platform/Exclusive" be something that is specified in the current form of monthly NPD reports, or is that too specific?

This is the unofficial list I have seen thrown around on here before.

That big :

Best selling exclusive games on their 1st NPD month

1/ Halo 3 : 3.3 millions, September 2007
1/ Halo Reach : 3.3 millions, September 2010
3/ Halo 2 : 3.27 millions, November 2004
4/ Halo 4 : 3.2 millions, November 2012
4/ Pokemon Sun/Moon : ~3.2 millions (estimate), November 2016
6/ Super Smash Bros Brawl : 2.7 millions, March 2008
7/ Spiderman : 2.6+ millions, September 2018
8/ Pokemon Black & White : 2.5 millions, March 2008
9/ GTA San Andreas : 2.06 millions, October 2004
10/ God of War : 1.9 millions, April 2018

Halo 3 should be toast. It launched on 9/25/07 and the SEP 2007 tracking period was 9/2/07 - 10/6/07, so 12 days of tracking for its launch month. SSBU gets 12/2/18 - 1/5/19 with a 12/7/18 launch, a full 30 days of tracking. Even if its launch weekend demand is lower, that is still nearly 3x the time-frame with holidays, alongside what is likely to be a monster HW sales period for the Switch.

I think an unofficial overall biggest NPD month list was also posted around the time of Spidey's launch. Wonder how high it could get on there.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1st Month U.S. Best-Selling Exclusives - Dollar Sales
1) Halo: Reach
2) Halo 4
3) Halo 2
4) Halo 3
5) Marvel's Spider-Man

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
2) Halo 4
3) Halo 2
4) Halo 3
5) Marvel's Spider-Man
4aab804c029046aab108aad2ec37d241.gif

That is...astounding
King Spidey

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Halo was something out of this world, wasn't it? I wonder if Microsoft will be able to return the series to its previous glory

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
December will lack Cyber Monday tracking this year. COD launched a month earlier than normal so any hardware moving potential it normally has this late is even less this time around, and the only console releasing a major new game with hardware moving potential is Switch

Would love for PS4 and Xbox to have an amazing month but it's looking pretty unlikely to me. That said PS4 had a relatively soft December last year so it has an easier path to being up YoY than Xbox.

Xbox One will almost assuredly be down YoY
Yes, but just being down is different from being down between 35 - 50% for Xbox One and 20 - 35% for Ps4.
Christmas is still here. The economy is doing well. People buy gifts. And a lot of people still buy last second gifts.
It would really surprise me if Ps4 is as weak as last year in December.

What is the lowest December for PS4 and X1 this gen?

Both consoles had their weakest December during the launch year in 2013. Xbox One sold over 900k and Ps4 sold over 860k

2) Halo 4
3) Halo 2
4) Halo 3
5) Marvel's Spider-Man

1) Halo: Reach (19 days / 3 weeks tracking)
2) Halo 4 (19 days / 3 weeks tracking)
3) Halo 2 (19 days / 3 weeks tracking)
4) Halo 3 (12 days / 2 weeks tracking)
5) Marvel's Spider-Man (23 days / 4 weeks tracking)
6) Super Smash Bros. Brawl (27 days / 4 weeks tracking)
x) Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (30 days / 5 weeks tracking)

I hope i got all dates and tracking periods correct.

Last edited:

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
It's a pretty crap deal for December considering what they had on offer last year which was their Black Friday prices of $189 for a standalone unit and $229 for bundles.
Needs to be $100 off everything.
not like this, welfare. what is wrong with these people always crying for discounts. these items have a value. there were busloads of middle management working so hard on convincing people who do the actual job to create something beautiful. you behave as if spencer could just blow a kiss of pixie dust and magically pull bags of money out of dark places. unlike playstation, who can easily rely on profits from their tv or phone business, the xbox division has to earn their dollars the hard and honest way. the life at the xbox division is a constant fight for budget and profit, to keep the whole company above water by all means. and just like every good bargain hunter, they give a new life to formerly unwanted things, life hacking near-broke studios, confused marketing people or outdated bundled games. this is, by the way, also a worthy contribution to environmental protection and preservation of the planet for future generations.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
[NSW] 1400K
[PS4] 1550K
[XB1] 1250K

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who says that we should have expected Spider-Man to do what it's done should be catapulted to the moon, never to return.

I mean they were some fans that expected crazy sales .
If i remember right when we had the Spider-Man sales poll a lot people had it doing 10 million and some saying it will be Sony best selling game.

Paronth

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo seems to have to ship a lot of consoles, first time I see so many console in stock

fireshotcapture649-taz8ctm.png

fireshotcapture650-taawejm.png

fireshotcapture652-be9kiwr.png

fireshotcapture651-bexxeye.png

To compare with PS4 COD bundle released since late November

fireshotcapture648-tankc4h.png

fireshotcapture653-be2kdz1.png

I didn't put PS4 standalone as it is almost sold out.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I mean they were some fans that expected crazy sales .
If i remember right when we had the Spider-Man sales poll a lot people had it doing 10 million and some saying it will be Sony best selling game.
I was one of the 47 crazy people in the Spider-Man sales predictions thread to predict 20 million+
At first those people were laughed at, but now...
tenor.gif

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I was one of the 47 crazy people in the Spider-Man sales predictions thread to predict 20 million+
tenor.gif

People still laugh. The difference between 10 million+ and 20 million+ is gigantic.
Some games who didn't sell 20 million+

Fallout 4
The Witcher 3
The Last of Us
Any Halo game

20 million+ is Fifa and CoD territory.
20 million+ is also the number GTAV sold per platform.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
tenor.gif
20M as an exclusive is the unicorn of video games, normally games that make those numbers are either multiplats or games the literall unicorn than is GTAV legs

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
20M as an exclusive is the unicorn of video games, normally games that make those numbers are either multiplats or games the literall unicorn than is GTAV legs
Spider-Man should be above 10 million by early next year, nothing really hard to believe about the game recahing 20 million in the future.