• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
as far as i can see all we can say is the ps4 sold out on black friday.
we don't know the amount of stock, but some seem disappointed because they come to the conclusion that selling out meant low stock. what if they had a crazy amount and still sold out?

Fdkn

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
we don't know the amount of stock, but some seem disappointed because they come to the conclusion that selling out meant low stock. what if they had a crazy amount and still sold out?
We went through this same exact situation last year, with the same hot takes and overreactions and the result was the higher november of the generation. /shrug

Silence_and_I

May 7, 2018
selling out never means low stocks, specially at times like this!

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
We went through this same exact situation last year, with the same hot takes and overreactions and the result was the higher november of the generation. /shrug
Last year also had 2 massive launches in Call of Duty WW2 and Battlefront 2 which both had bundles.

There are 4 weeks in November, not 1.

SRO7

Nov 30, 2017
Why is everyone so sure the PS4 won November?

The Switch got Pokemon and it's a new console... while this is like the PS4's 6th Nov

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018

The Switch got Pokemon and it's a new console... while this is like the PS4's 6th Nov
It has been doing well the whole year and currently the top seller of the year, had a great deal, and was bundled with one of the hottest games this year. That said no one thinks it will be a blowout like last year and December is predicted to be a win for Switch.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017

Most people in here have been tracking sales for years, if they are predicting PS4 to have the highest hardware sales, it probably will..don't doubt that.

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
It hasn't had a major impact but its moving some units.

I mean it's hard to tell when

1) You launch a system seller not even a month ago that had better bundles and deals near it.

2) its holiday shopping season.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotally, I was in the Target electronics section getting Smash this morning and there were three (3) people there buying Smash including myself. I then went over to the grocery part of Target and one of the guys that bought Smash was also picking up a half gallon of milk like me.

Going by that, I'm pretty comfortable saying that Smash should be outselling half gallons of milk 3:2 in the month of December.

Edit: Further anecdotal evidence, all four (4) people on my Switch friend's list are currently playing Smash. This actually is pretty surprising because one of them hasn't played his Switch since last October. Extrapolating from this, I think Smash should easily sell at least 1:1 with all hardware sold so far in the US at least.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anecdotally, I was in the Target electronics section getting Smash this morning and there were three (3) people there buying Smash including myself. I then went over to the grocery part of Target and one of the guys that bought Smash was also picking up a half gallon of milk like me.

Going by that, I'm pretty comfortable saying that Smash should be outselling half gallons of milk 3:2 in the month of December.

Edit: Further anecdotal evidence, all four (4) people on my Switch friend's list are currently playing Smash. This actually is pretty surprising because one of them hasn't played his Switch since last October. Extrapolating from this, I think Smash should easily sell at least 1:1 with all hardware sold so far in the US at least.
The good milk (more % fat) or the garbage milk (low % fat, around 1.5%)?

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
The good milk (more % fat) or the garbage milk (low % fat, around 1.5%)?
I got 2%, I forgot to peek to see what he got.

Edit: One of my friends just snapped me his friend's list of 3 people (including me) also all playing Smash. The evidence is getting out of control!

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I've never done the correlation math on half gallons of milk and video game sales. Interesting. Might have to partner with IRI to get that sweet milk data, but nothing is impossible.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Pretty big, I'd say. The same ratio was reported by Chris over at Media Create for Japan, so it's possible that this will be a worldwide trend for day one sales.

Benji I was wondering about the following: is this comparison a retail vs. retail comparison on your sample, or does it include some assumptions about the digital ratios for the two games?

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Huh. Maybe Smash will be able to get to 20 million LTD

It's been having good word of mouth with friends who don't really play Smash. Pretty cool.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
To be honest I'm expecting it to double Odyssey's first three days and do 1.8-2 Million first weekend in the US. Seems like a lot of people are buying it.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Pork loin is in trouble next Black Friday.....

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Wasn't God of War 1.8 million and Spider-Man 2.5 million? Smash should easily beat God of War and past Spider-Man no?
It should, yeah. Pokémon did 1.5M in 2 weeks (although that was helped by Black Friday, but Smash will be helped by Christmas sales). GOW should be easily beaten I think, Spider-Man is more difficult, but I think it will do it, if Benji's observation for day 1 has enough longevity to be somewhat applicable for the rest of the month.