• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
The report says this:

Total:
8.836.915 with at least one dose which represents 85% of the population
8.273.795 fully vaccinated which represents 80% of the population

By group:
ages between 12 and 17: 84% with one dose and 52% fully vaccinated
ages between 18 and 24: 88% with one dose and 74% fully vaccinated
ages between 25 and 48: 93% with one dose and 88% fully vaccinated
ages between 50 and 64: 99% with one dose and 97% fully vaccinated
ages between 65 and 79: 100%
age 80 and above: 100%

EVERY person over 65 is vaccinated? If that's true, it's a herculean feat.

Oct 25, 2017
Will be interesting to see case trend moving forward since it sounds like they are dropping most restrictions. I still see masks are required in hospitals. For reference, our highest vaccinated state is Vermont at 68% and they are at the highest peak on their Delta wave, but it looks to be plateauing
No they are not. Trust me, I've been in more than one waiting room. They should be if you ask me. At least keep masks until fall but I'm not in charge

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
I look forward to the response....Freedom Apartments. Come and live in freedom, with mortality rates well above average.

Certainly if I lived in an apartment and used elevators and/or stairs, fully vaccinated tenants would be a big plus for me.

Living in an apartment with elevator and stairs, FFP2 masks have been my best friend since the start of this, there's really no difference whether you live in one of these "freedom apartments" or a normal one since there is no way to tell which of your co-inhabitants are actually vaxxed and which aren't :(

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting thread about a study out of U. of Edinburgh that vaccine effectiveness for all of the major vaccines is still about 92% at preventing severe COVID-19, even with Delta variant:

Lots of details & summary in the thread itself.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

what do we think of this one

Straight up, I think it's wrong to make people homeless for any reason. I think there's a difference between work mandates at major employers and living mandates. Forcing people into homelessness is much, much worse for public health than reprimands or testing requirements for going to work.

Decisions like these are one of those issues that I think feel good ideologically -- like shaming people for going outside or going to the beach in summer 2020 -- but are counter-productive for public health. The liberal/progressive public shaming around --safe behavior-- in 2020 made us all feel very good, I loved the "GRIM REAPER" guy at the beaches too, but ultimately we were wrong and that shaming likely led to worse public health outcomes.

52club

Oct 27, 2017
Straight up, I think it's wrong to make people homeless for any reason. I think there's a difference between work mandates at major employers and living mandates. Forcing people into homelessness is much, much worse for public health than reprimands or testing requirements for going to work.

Decisions like these are one of those issues that I think feel good ideologically -- like shaming people for going outside or going to the beach in summer 2020 -- but are counter-productive for public health. The liberal/progressive public shaming around --safe behavior-- in 2020 made us all feel very good, I loved the "GRIM REAPER" guy at the beaches too, but ultimately we were wrong and that shaming likely led to worse public health outcomes.
Both are pretty punitive, and should be considered in areas especially where the health system is collapsing to the point people with non-COVID conditions can't get treatment due to the amount of COVID patients. While it is terrible to lose your home or job, the decision not to be vaccinated leads to situations that more often result in a worse outcome for the general population.

Arilian

Oct 29, 2020
Both are pretty punitive, and should be considered in areas especially where the health system is collapsing to the point people with non-COVID conditions can't get treatment due to the amount of COVID patients. While it is terrible to lose your home or job, the decision not to be vaccinated leads to situations that more often result in a worse outcome for the general population.
I don't think it's fair to compare the two situations: I think someone is more likely to spend time with others or in place where others go while doing their jobs than they are in the common areas of their apartments building.

If a landlord is concerned with the safety of the common areas, they can work on that by making sure they are properly ventilated at all time.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+2442 new PCR cases (979907 total)
+26 deaths (24382 total)

Total fully vaccinated 5750280
Rate of transmission is 1.05
1134 people in hospitals
253 in ICU
128 on ventilators

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting thread about a study out of U. of Edinburgh that vaccine effectiveness for all of the major vaccines is still about 92% at preventing severe COVID-19, even with Delta variant:

Lots of details & summary in the thread itself.

That the vaccine is not effective against preventing illness with delta is a very common myth. Most likely it is waning immunity rather than Delta, especially in countries like the US and Israel that went with the short 3 week dosing interval.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
That the vaccine is not effective against preventing illness with delta is a very common myth. Most likely it is waning immunity rather than Delta, especially in countries like the US and Israel that went with the short 3 week dosing interval.
Hospitalizations for vaccinated individuals are still very very rare so I think its really just breakthrough cases with mild to no symptoms

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Since June 15th 93% of people hospitalized for covid in LA County were unvaccinated. Most of the vaccinated people hospitalized were immunocompromised.

Rural areas are still seeing high numbers and strained hospitals, but the rest of the state is doing well and on a clear downward trend now. Deaths, as a lagging indicator, are still going up a bit.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Or people that never made much antibodies in the first place. it is not like people were tested to see if they made sufficient antibodies in the first place.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I really want to know what the hell we're going to do in the future when there's a pandemic that's much more communicable and lethal and have to deal with a bunch of ignorant dipshipts screaming about how they can't breathe with a mask on and won't get vaccinated because freedom. At some point this becomes a matter of self defense for the rest of us and I don't see how you avoid that without force. People are literally denying COVID and vaccines as they take their last breath in the ICU. They're threatening violence against medical officials for trying to protect kids and the immuno-compromised. They're using up resources that are desperately needed for others who aren't in their situation because they're too fucking stupid, selfish and proud. We're way past blaming this on vague messaging from the CDC or just speaking to these people nicely and when that inevitable, new virus comes along I think we're going to really see some shit go down.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I really want to know what the hell we're going to do in the future when there's a pandemic that's much more communicable and lethal and have to deal with a bunch of ignorant dipshipts screaming about how they can't breathe with a mask on and won't get vaccinated because freedom. At some point this becomes a matter of self defense for the rest of us and I don't see how you avoid that without force. People are literally denying COVID and vaccines as they take their last breath in the ICU. They're threatening violence against medical officials for trying to protect kids and the immuno-compromised. They're using up resources that are desperately needed for others who aren't in their situation because they're too fucking stupid, selfish and proud. We're way past blaming this on vague messaging from the CDC or just speaking to these people nicely and when that inevitable, new virus comes along I think we're going to really see some shit go down.

As long as social media exists in its' current form I think it's gonna be the same shitshow next time, just worse.

Too easy to spread bullshit.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
international.univ-tours.fr

Development of a COVID-19 nasal vaccine

A few months ago, the BioMAP team led by Professor Isabelle Dimier-Poisson responded to the call for Research Action on Covid-19 (RA-Covid-19) launched by the French National Research Agency (ANR) and their project on the development of an anti-SARS-CoV-2 nasal vaccine was selected for funding.

A french team developing a nasal vaccine which works via IgA immunity (mucosal immunity), VERY promising, as THIS is the kind of thing that will ACTUALLY allow us to end this pandemic since it works not only on severe disease but on transmission as well!
First results in mice show a 100% efficacy rate on both transmission and severe disease.
Unfortunately it will have to be confirmed in humans first so this will take years before it's readily available to the public IF it all pans out (big IF atm)
Still, there is a faint glimmer of hope at the horizon for an actual "return to normal" in that sense if they are at least working on this tech. Apparently according to WHO, 8 companies total working on this same tech right now!

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question: how can one go about potentially reporting a school if they're avoiding COVID vaccinations for their staff? This hasn't happened yet, but my dipshit sister has done a 180 on getting vaccinated. First, she was going to get the vaccine, but once it got approved, she was weaseling, thinking it wouldn't be approved until 2023, so I had to share with her information and sources explaining how this was done was quickly. Then the NYC teacher mandate came out, which starts in 10 days, and it seemed she was going to get vaccinated for that because she's in that system. I learned yesterday she's once again changed her mind. She's significantly overweight and diabetic, results of her having a baby born a month into lockdown, and these comorbidities all but assure that if she gets COVID, unless she's getting first-class monoclonal antibodies, she will become a statistic.

If she's not going to do the right thing and her own ignorance is putting people besides her at immense health risk, I will not hesitate to narc on her the second I hear on her school cutting corners if she's still able to work without issue despite playing the "vaccine isn't for me, thanks" card. She works at a charter school which makes her believe she's immune from these mandates, but that's enough of a reason for me to think these schools will cut corners because they're fucking charter schools, and that will be enough to report the school. I know they're not exempt, but she's in another universe now. My brother nearly died earlier this year from getting hand, foot, and mouth disease from her baby (he has RA and had the variant that put him at risk for meningitis) and her ignorance to his wellbeing, let alone my parents, has me livid beyond description.

This is why we mandate vaccinations, everybody. One's persons decision is a disaster for others. Walking biohazards with no care in the fuckin' world.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
Quick question: how can one go about potentially reporting a school if they're avoiding COVID vaccinations for their staff? This hasn't happened yet, but my dipshit sister has done a 180 on getting vaccinated. First, she was going to get the vaccine, but once it got approved, she was weaseling, thinking it wouldn't be approved until 2023, so I had to share with her information and sources explaining how this was done was quickly. Then the NYC teacher mandate came out, which starts in 10 days, and it seemed she was going to get vaccinated for that because she's in that system. I learned yesterday she's once again changed her mind. She's significantly overweight and diabetic, results of her having a baby born a month into lockdown, and these comorbidities all but assure that if she gets COVID, unless she's getting first-class monoclonal antibodies, she will become a statistic.

If she's not going to do the right thing and her own ignorance is putting people besides her at immense health risk, I will not hesitate to narc on her the second I hear on her school cutting corners if she's still able to work without issue despite playing the "vaccine isn't for me, thanks" card. She works at a charter school which makes her believe she's immune from these mandates, but that's enough of a reason for me to think these schools will cut corners because they're fucking charter schools, and that will be enough to report the school. I know they're not exempt, but she's in another universe now. My brother nearly died earlier this year from getting hand, foot, and mouth disease from her baby (he has RA and had the variant that put him at risk for meningitis) and her ignorance to his wellbeing, let alone my parents, has me livid beyond description.

This is why we mandate vaccinations, everybody. One's persons decision is a disaster for others. Walking biohazards with no care in the fuckin' world.

First of all, no i don't know how to report a school in your case, i imagine you'd need to try to contact local authorities though...
Just wanted to say i completely understand the way you feel about your sister. The thing is though, it seems like she has made her choice. I have learned during this pandemic that you cannot force people to do the right thing, you cannot convince them in most cases and you cannot change their already made up minds either. (There may be SOME rare cases where people have managed to but in my experience, nope) While that is one thing, i also learned that we, as a society do not protect the weak sufficiently. It is up to each and everyone individually to do so. There won't be a mandate, simply because things haven't gone bad ENOUGH, so you will have to make due with this unfortunately.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
They are making themselves homeless. This is pretty much the same as refusing to pay rent you can afford.

"This is what you owe to live here."
"I refuse to pay that."
"Then you can't live here."
While I think that everybody should be vaccinated, this is absolutely not like being able to pay the rent. What? This is something that would never work here in Germany, ridiculous.

In other news, I heard in the radio this morning, that you'll get a free ticket for the zoo in Berlin if you get the vaccine before there :) I like that.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
More lethal pandemic would be easier to contain early on (like we managed with MERS and SARS for example) as there would be far less people with asymptomatic infections or with mild symptoms . That is why Covid spread like a wildfire.

Oct 30, 2017
Positivity Rate in Germany decreased for the first time since end of June in the last week.

CW35 was 8.65%, last week (CW36) was 7.99%

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
If they have elevators then those are the same thing.

Or an indoor mail center where all the mail boxes are (like my apartment).

I also don't like the idea or landlords changing the conditions of your lease while you're currently under it. When it's time to renew the lease for a year or you're trying to move in as a new tenant, yeah more power to you on forcing vaccination status.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Yes and it is an absolute awful policy that pretty much cannot happen like that in many countries in Europe.
If it can't happen because of preexisting laws that's fine. If you look at my post again, you'll see I wasn't advocating for that. But I disagree that this is a bad policy on its face.

Landlords are responsible for all of their tenants. This policy is a good landlord making sure all of their responsible vaccinated tenants do not have to worry about unvaccinated people in hallways, stairwells, or elevators spreading Covid19 and causing breakthrough cases or getting someones young unvaccinated children sick. The Delta variant could potentially even spread through an apartment buildings duct systems between units.

There is absolutely no excuse to not be vaccinated at this point and I do not have sympathy for the people who refuse to. They are a danger to their selves and others and I am completely fine with an apartment building telling people they can't live there if the are unvaccinated.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
If it can't happen because of preexisting laws that's fine. If you look at my post again, you'll see I wasn't advocating for that. But I disagree that this is a bad policy on its face.

Landlords are responsible for all of their tenants. This policy is a good landlord making sure all of their responsible vaccinated tenants do not have to worry about unvaccinated people in hallways, stairwells, or elevators spreading Covid19 and causing breakthrough cases or getting someones young unvaccinated children sick. The Delta variant could potentially even spread through an apartment buildings duct systems between units.

There is absolutely no excuse to not be vaccinated at this point and I do not have sympathy for the people who refuse to. They are a danger to their selves and others and I am completely fine with an apartment building telling people they can't live there if the are unvaccinated.

On the surface, you could certainly make a case for this. It's kind of in the line of thinking that a landlord would not allow other kinds of safety/health hazards on the premises either. Say, dangerous, large dogs that aren't on a leash, or someone painting the hallway with non accredited/hazardous paint etc. for all these things, we have rules and regulations and it is obvious why people should not do that. Yet for public health we do not. Or at least nothing that is sincerely being enforced/controlled. Since this is getting into slippery slope territory again, i don't think we should leave these decisions up to landlords, but we finally need governments to put in place unified regulations for this kind of stuff.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017

Nonetheless we have people that are not vaccinated. Kick them out of their houses and we move the problem somewhere else. They are going to live in some house (or not, which is no improvement). I get that people want their environments to be safe, but this is still a form of NIMBYism which will have a huge negative impact.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Nonetheless we have people that are not vaccinated. Kick them out of their houses and we move the problem somewhere else. They are going to live in some house (or not, which is no improvement). I get that people want their environments to be safe, but this is still a form of NIMBYism which will have a huge negative impact.
You're only kicking them out if they refuse to get vaccinated and since we have seen evidence that vaccine mandates are very effective in the workplace I do not believe its realistic to assume that the majority would rather lose their home than get vaccinated when a lot of holdouts have chosen to get vaccinated rather than just lose their job.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
You're only kicking them out if they refuse to get vaccinated and since we have seen evidence that vaccine mandates are very effective in the workplace I do not believe its realistic to assume that the majority would rather lose their home than get vaccinated when a lot of holdouts have chosen to get vaccinated rather than just lose their job.

Yes, it is a deterrent, that's for sure. And I still think the punishment is completely irresponsible and inhumane for those that are impacted by it.