• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
We do, somewhat. Last week the government announced that regions/provinces are allowed to act independently. Two of the cities with the biggest outbreaks (Rotterdam and Amsterdam) have made mask usage mandatory in malls/busy places (as a test currently, most likely will be extended) and more measures are planned. They also have the authority to close down bars and such if an outbreak happens there. Nationwide student introduction weeks are severly limited this time around, horeca closes earlier, the biggest airport received a test street for incoming travelers etc.

That's why I don't get it. Sure, more could be done for the cities hit worst currently (and I think it should) but the measures by the government are still very must in line with the ongoing policy and the focus is shifting towards regional measures.
Nobody in Amsterdam is wearing masks, not even indoors, not even essential workers or elderly people.

Oct 27, 2017
NY has nudged slightly but noticeably even lower recently. Quite a few days with <1% positivity in the last week or two, with plenty of tests. We had gotten this low in mid/late June, then came up a tick and flattened out for most of the summer as the entire state went to Phases 3 and 4. Now it seems to be drifting a bit lower again. Maybe just noise and small variance, but interesting.

HarryHengst

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 week): trolling
I just came back from the Netherlands and I was as shocked to see nobody wearing a mask (and I mean NOBODY, not even elderly) as the people there were shocked to see me wearing one.

Actually, people acted as if they were scared of me when seeing me wearing a mask which is the most backwards thing. What's more, in some establishments they encouraged me to take my mask off telling me it was not necessary, that everything was safe.

Honestly, I am really hoping the Netherlands doesn't have a big outbreak because i think most people do not yet understand what this is about.

If you wear a mask you signal that YOU are the one with symptoms, so that makes sense.

Almost all cases seem happen within the family or at private social gatherings like weddings or parties , or at bars where a mask is not required in other countries either, not when people spend 5 minutes in a shop. Masks are not going to help there, because let's be honest, nobody is going to spend the evening at a barbecue with friends wearing a mask.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Another record for deaths in FL. Just spoke to my customer in The Villages and he literally told me "the state is making it all up" and he doesn't know anyone who has gotten sick or died.

God help him

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Another record for deaths in FL. Just spoke to my customer in The Villages and he literally told me "the state is making it all up" and he doesn't know anyone who has gotten sick or died.

God help him

I was just talking to my financial advisor and she was frustrated. Over the years she's in a spot where relationships form with clients.. some she's had for decades. But then she has to meet with people who deny that any of this is going on. There's a human investment there in these people but you can't fix them.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a parent so forgive my question. Are most schools open already? What about universities?
I would say the vast majority are not open yet. Very few started at the beginning of August but significant chucks of schools are starting this week and every week up until the week after Labor Day. By Labor Day week almost all schools and universities will have started in some fashion (remote or in person)

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I keep running into folks that are anti mask because of the original March guidance not to use a mask. Do these ppl not understand how science works lol? Things change.
But they didn't need to change, in a lot of places, scientists lied knowingly that masks weren't necessary because they didn't have supplies. In which case people shouldn't be surprised that those people aren't believed.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
If you wear a mask you signal that YOU are the one with symptoms, so that makes sense.

Almost all cases seem happen within the family or at private social gatherings like weddings or parties , or at bars where a mask is not required in other countries either, not when people spend 5 minutes in a shop. Masks are not going to help there, because let's be honest, nobody is going to spend the evening at a barbecue with friends wearing a mask.

Americans may rightly get shit around here but at least they have not stubbornly defended every decision of their government, evidence be damned.

Oct 25, 2017
Americans may rightly get shit around here but at least they have not stubbornly defended every decision of their government, evidence be damned.

Our government has not mandated masks at any time, only cities have local mandates. Harry isn't wrong for pointing out the obvious flaw in any potential mandate btw, and the argument dates back to "why Asian countries wear masks". Typically the mask carrier is trying to protect others from them, but with the asymptomatic spread it's just not possible to tell who is spreader and who gets infected.

Also keep in mind that is 4000 cases over a WEEK on 17 million people, and is mostly 20-40 year olds with little raise in hospitalizations and additional deaths for now (those should come next week, given the 1-2-3 punch this disease has).

Speaking of tracing: one of the more curious debates right now is that sudden rise in cases due to young people being well, young and stupid (take that, Zoomers! ) leads to a rather unfortunate understaffing on the tracing positions within the 'general health' organization. Which means we have now roughly 70% -50% contact tracing but not the same 'everything is awesome' as before. Of course there is now a push to swiftly increase the number of staff, but it does goes to demonstrate the problems with caseloads versus quite simply: people being people.

Europe's second wave is troubling, but it's not the same type of situation as before or as the USA is in.

And never needs to be either. Legally however, most European constitutions do not allow for legal full lockdowns. So that's what is on our politicians minds, if they seem a little unsure. Also, with recession clearly already in full swing, I don't believe anyone has the stomach for another lockdown either.

edit:
that all said, I don't trust this new wave from not getting worse either.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think more 20-40 year old people are getting Covid than last time. It is just that there is now finally room for testing them

52club

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing fall college athletics being cancelled again just magnifies what a terrible response the US has put together so far. I can't imagine a NCAA basketball season either. Living near a stadium myself, I suspect many businesses will be throwing in the towel soon. It will be interesting to see if some conferences still try to have a shortened schedule.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Our government has not mandated masks at any time, only cities have local mandates. Harry isn't wrong for pointing out the obvious flaw in any potential mandate btw, and the argument dates back to "why Asian countries wear masks". Typically the mask carrier is trying to protect others from them, but with the asymptomatic spread it's just not possible to tell who is spreader and who gets infected.

Also keep in mind that is 4000 cases over a WEEK on 17 million people, and is mostly 20-40 year olds with little raise in hospitalizations and additional deaths for now (those should come next week, given the 1-2-3 punch this disease has).

Speaking of tracing: one of the more curious debates right now is that sudden rise in cases due to young people being well, young and stupid (take that, Zoomers! ) leads to a rather unfortunate understaffing on the tracing positions within the 'general health' organization. Which means we have now roughly 70% -50% contact tracing but not the same 'everything is awesome' as before. Of course there is now a push to swiftly increase the number of staff, but it does goes to demonstrate the problems with caseloads versus quite simply: people being people.

Europe's second wave is troubling, but it's not the same type of situation as before or as the USA is in.

And never needs to be either. Legally however, most European constitutions do not allow for legal full lockdowns. So that's what is on our politicians minds, if they seem a little unsure. Also, with recession clearly already in full swing, I don't believe anyone has the stomach for another lockdown either.

edit:
that all said, I don't trust this new wave from not getting worse either.

UK is about 6k per week right now for 67 million and UK is testing a lot more per capita these days. Dutch cases would be 16k for the UK. so 4k is a lot for a small European country. You also have to estimate many times more are carrying it at any one time.

We'll have to see how this goes. France and Spain are around the 2k range per day, UK may be joining them soon but so far seems like the massive targeted testing accounting for a slight rise in UK. If UK reaches 1500-2000 regularly then it will be hard to say it hasn't joined other countries rates like Spain, Netherlands, France in going the wrong way possibly.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I keep running into folks that are anti mask because of the original March guidance not to use a mask. Do these ppl not understand how science works lol? Things change.

A teenager working at Sesame Place in PA was punched in the jaw and required surgery because someone was complaining about mask usage. After a while you get tired of the handwaving of others' behavior, this is unacceptable.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Flanders is preparing the new school year, for which they looked at the previous period. From 1st of March to 30th of June - schools closed around the 15th of March and reopened around the 2nd of June - 196 people were found positive in a school context. That is 157 kids and 36 teachers. Of those, 15 transmissions took place at school, 9 students and 6 teachers.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Man you are worse than my friends whose father was in coma cause of Covid and he still doesn't want to listen to the news.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
I start to envy the foolish masses that seem to bleep the pandemic out of their minds. I can't and the gnawing dread starts to wear me down while everyone else irl acts lik sunshine and rainbows.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
In Belgium, a group of doctors, psychiatrists and nurses specialized in children's care have demanded in an open letter that all children can go back to school fulltime from the 1st of September. They state school is simply too important for the development of children to not do it. Even 50 or 80% at school, even virtual teaching is not sufficient according to them. They state that school delivers a stimulating, safe and connective environment, that it gives a day structure. That it gives social contacts, playtime and creative stimulation. It is indeed not risk-free, but in the balanse, it is so important to do this for their quality of life and development compared to the risk of becoming sick.

www.vrt.be

Experten willen dat alle kinderen voltijds naar school kunnen: "Belang van school kan je niet overdrijven"

Kinderartsen en –psychologen willen dat alle kinderen voltijds naar school kunnen op 1 september. Volgens hen bewijzen de jeugdkampen dat zoiets perfect veilig is.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
I start to envy the foolish masses that seem to bleep the pandemic out of their minds. I can't and the gnawing dread starts to wear me down while everyone else irl acts lik sunshine and rainbows.

Oh don't worry, the looming global climate catastrophes in our collective futures will make us look back at 2020 with rose tinted goggles reminiscing of the "good ol times when we could just hide from the nightmare".

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
In Belgium, a group of doctors, psychiatrists and nurses specialized in children's care have demanded in an open letter that all children can go back to school fulltime from the 1st of September. They state school is simply too important for the development of children to not do it. Even 50 or 80% at school, even virtual teaching is not sufficient according to them. They state that school delivers a stimulating, safe and connective environment, that it gives a day structure. That it gives social contacts, playtime and creative stimulation. It is indeed not risk-free, but in the balanse, it is so important to do this for their quality of life and development compared to the risk of becoming sick.

www.vrt.be

Experten willen dat alle kinderen voltijds naar school kunnen: "Belang van school kan je niet overdrijven"

Kinderartsen en –psychologen willen dat alle kinderen voltijds naar school kunnen op 1 september. Volgens hen bewijzen de jeugdkampen dat zoiets perfect veilig is.

what is the R0 in Belgium?

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Oh don't worry, the looming global climate catastrophes in our collective futures will make us look back at 2020 with rose tinted goggles reminiscing of the "good ol times when we could just hide from the nightmare".
SlAFOBG.gif

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

www.vrt.be

Ah yes, school during a deadly pandemic. So safe.

WHO: Non-Essential Dental Care Should Be Delayed During Pandemic
www.voanews.com

WHO: Non-Essential Dental Care Should Be Delayed During Pandemic

A WHO survey in 103 countries finds an overwhelming number of dental services have been completely or partially disrupted because of the coronavirus
What an idiotic guidance?! Preventive dental care is the best way to avoid issues later on.

Not idiotic. Let's not go so we can go back without risking anyone's life next year.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Last edited:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
That's obvious. But we're in a pandemic. So we have to adjust.
Stopping healthcare is however a braindead way to adjust. Healthcare institutions all over the world had to remind people the last months that is a terrible idea to skip preventive healthcare. And then the WHO makes such a stupid statement. Once this situation is over, reform in their communications department will absolutely be required.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Stopping healthcare is however a braindead way to adjust. Healthcare institutions all over the world had to remind people the last months that is a terrible idea to skip preventive healthcare. And then the WHO makes such a stupid statement. Once this situation is over, reform in their communications department will absolutely be required.

I get what you're saying, but IMO we are in an extraordinary situation that could still become much worse. Regarding non-essential dental checkups appointment I think we can skip a year.

Over 30k people died due to this in my city. I went with my dental office's advice and cancelled my July checkup.

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah exactly that. A very close colleague and friend who had problem with managing his diabetes avoided going to the hospital to have it checked in person even though his mom tried to force him to go in person as they were just doing video consultation. He was avoiding to go because of the pandemic and the mixed messaging of health department here in Quebec. He died 3 weeks ago of a diabetic coma, 39 , 3 young kids 😭. I guess collateral death of covid, there must be thousand in similar case (mild heart attack ,acv,....) Plus all the delays in cancer treatment will have impact
So preventive care is more than important. Even dental care prevention can have a huge impact on health in the long term.
If you read the article though its more oriented to countries with high level of infection and minor dental care (cleaning) I agree these can be easily postponed

Last edited:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I get what you're saying, but IMO we are in an extraordinary situation that could still become much worse. Regarding non-essential dental checkups appointment I think we can skip a year.

Over 30k people died due to this in my city. I went with my dental office's advice and cancelled my July checkup.

In my country, still the world leader in number of deaths per million, the dentist society warned already in April - one month into the lockdown - that they were seeing issues that could easily have been avoided if people had kept their normal checkups. So people lost teeth. And having to remove/replace a tooth is still a longer procedure than filling a cavity so it is not safer for corona either.
www.hln.be

Tandartsen waarschuwen voor uitstel tandzorg tijdens coronacrisis

De Vlaamse Beroepsvereniging Tandartsen (VBT) waarschuwt voor het uitstel van tandzorg. "We kregen de laatste dagen heel wat patiënten binnen met tand- en mondinfecties die vermeden hadden kunnen worden", zegt Frank Herrebout, voorzitter van de VBT.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So, Berlin opened the schools on Monday and it's basically business as usual. The kids wear their masks in the buildings, but not during classes in the classrooms, the schoolyard or the after school center (hope that's translated correctly).
It's a fucking mess and disaster, and the first positive cases were already tested.

I don't understand how Berlin, that did quite good before the summer holidays, didn't come up with a better solution than: let's see how it goes.

Fuck that.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah exactly that. A very close colleague and friend who had problem with managing his diabetes avoided going to the hospital to have it checked in person even though his mom tried to force him to go in person as they were just doing video consultation. He was avoiding to go because of the pandemic and the mixed messaging of health department here in Quebec. He died 3 weeks ago of a diabetic coma, 39 , 3 young kids 😭. I guess collateral death of covid, there must be thousand in similar case (mild heart attack ,acv,....) Plus all the delays in cancer treatment will have impact
So preventive care is more than important. Even dental care prevention can have a huge impact on health in the long term.
If you read the article though its more oriented to countries with high level of infection and minor dental care (cleaning) I agree these can be easily postponed

I just talked to the owner of my company yesterday. He's skipping or delaying a screening for colon cancer and refuses to go to a dentist. But he's flying coast to coast for business almost every week.

We saw the same dentist since the mid '90s and it was fantastic. He's a Fox News all the time guy so I'd just opt for no TV during my appointment.

It was little surprise that none of his non-hygenist/doctor staff were wearing a mask. They also didn't require customers to wear masks. It's disappointing because he was very good and always on top of the latest technology. I know they redid HVAC and added some special air scrubbers to help with the virus so that's good. But I couldn't get over not even taking basic mask requirements, even for the staff checking people in/out. I dumped them and found one that was taking better precautions.

The kids went already but I've delayed and so has my wife. I just didn't want the kids to develop problems at a young age, plus they have braces and therefore must see the ortho anyways. Both had those appointments delayed and it caused some problems.

Last edited:

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So my wife's district went over their plans, we're in NY and she teaches HS.

All students come to school M/W/F for their "core" classes (Math, History, English etc.) Classes are 80 minutes long (2 periods) and when switching classes it's one grade at a time. They're using the biggest spaces in the school possible for these classes, for example my wife's 11 English class will be in the gym. Students must wear masks, but when seated the students don't need to have their masks on (this is Fucking stupid IMO)

On T/Th the students stay home and do their elective classes, all virtually. The elective teachers still come to school but will be teaching their classes in the smallest rooms. All the teachers come to the school every day and use their "off" days for prep since they will have no periods off on the days they're teaching.

They still haven't figured out how they're going to handle lunch.

My wife is having a meeting right now where all the teachers get to ask the principal questions, I expect fireworks.

Overall, I hate that my wife has to go to school (she's pregnant) BUT this is probably best plan I can think of if they're gonna force them back. Maybe in NY the infection rate is low enough this can work, but I'm very skeptical. I imagine the school will have an outbreak at some point and need to be shut down, just hope my wife can remain safe.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
That's obvious. But we're in a pandemic. So we have to adjust.

The article says youth camps prove it is perfectly safe. (Followed by saying there is still a risk, but - they say it is 'perfectly safe')

The translation is it a bit different from the article, which would be better translated imo as: The youth camps prove that it is safe to open the schools. It is not that they consider it without risk or negative effects, but if we were able to have youth camps then they consider it safe enough to also open schools.

Realmatic1

Oct 27, 2017
So my wife's district went over their plans, we're in NY and she teaches HS.

All students come to school M/W/F for their "core" classes (Math, History, English etc.) Classes are 80 minutes long (2 periods) and when switching classes it's one grade at a time. They're using the biggest spaces in the school possible for these classes, for example my wife's 11 English class will be in the gym. Students must wear masks, but when seated the students don't need to have their masks on (this is Fucking stupid IMO)

On T/Th the students stay home and do their elective classes, all virtually. The elective teachers still come to school but will be teaching their classes in the smallest rooms. All the teachers come to the school every day and use their "off" days for prep since they will have no periods off on the days they're teaching.

They still haven't figured out how they're going to handle lunch.

My wife is having a meeting right now where all the teachers get to ask the principal questions, I expect fireworks.

Overall, I hate that my wife has to go to school (she's pregnant) BUT this is probably best plan I can think of if they're gonna force them back. Maybe in NY the infection rate is low enough this can work, but I'm very skeptical. I imagine the school will have an outbreak at some point and need to be shut down, just hope my wife can remain safe.

I'm in NYC and my wife just told me that their should be a waiver for teachers who are immunocompromised. Your wife is pregnant which puts her in a position where her immune system is weaker.Did they not offer her a waiver?

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in NYC and my wife just told me that their should be a waiver for teachers who are immunocompromised. Your wife is pregnant which puts her in a position where her immune system is weaker.Did they not offer her a waiver?

It's her tenure year unfortunately, we also live in an expensive region and need both incomes, especially with kid coming

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The translation is it a bit different from the article, which would be better translated imo as: The youth camps prove that it is safe to open the schools. It is not that they consider it without risk or negative effects, but if we were able to have youth camps then they consider it safe enough to also open schools.

I didn't read the translation. But I don't see 'safe enough' anywhere in the article, they literally say that education at school can be 'perfectly safe', and use summer camps as the evidence of that.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't read the translation. But I don't see 'safe enough' anywhere in the article, they literally say that education at school can be 'perfectly safe', and use summer camps as the evidence of that.

They don't mention it is "perfectly safe". They do mention it is safe based on what they observe from the camps. And they also mention there are risks that they feel are outweighed by the benefits of going to school. Which I interpret that as them considering it safe enough, and not perfectly safe.