• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
In Spain things are looking bad. We're going back to May numbers, with over a thousand cases per day in the last week. The re-opening isn't working. Not enought covid19 trackers. But more importantly: people don't give a f*ck, especially the young ones. Since the lockdown ended many believe it's all over. And at the same time the economy is quickly sinking.
Future looks grim.

A majority of people have still not realized that there won't be a normal again for the forseeable future. Most honestly think this is just a phase for a couple of months and then everything's hunky-dory again. That's why the moment there's a relaxation of social distancing and other Corona counter measures people immediately start being careless and endangering again and with that everything takes a turn for the worse again.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Locally (southern California), I've been seeing A LOT of kids congregating together (roughly 13 to 23 year olds), be it at parks, skating down the street, etc - they obviously don't live together, and they're just hanging out willy nilly, and no masks, as if there's no pandemic. I've even seen a few house parties, with a bunch of teens as their parents seem to be out of town. Kids don't seem to give a fuck, and this is how we'll die.

Last edited:

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium is on the wrong path again, weekly confirmed cases are up 61%. https://www.info-coronavirus.be/nl/news/aantal-nieuwe-infecties-stijgt-met-61_/
Average daily cases from July 1st through July 8th was 88.7, average daily cases from July 9th through July 15th was 143.
I'm glad masks are mandatory in stores now but people are still careless and don't give a shit in places where they're not (bars, gyms).
If we had actual contact tracing, this could have been avoided. And the police should actually start intervening when they see parties.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
MA numbers for 7/18

wxrlv1eydob51.png

Fucking tourists man. We've been doing so well but I fear people from NY, CT, Texas, and Florida just want to kick their feet up on vacation and not wear masks. People sitting in outdoor seating right next to each other, no masks or fear of catching it. The last month I've seen it alot.

Plus the beaches... I live down the street from one and I've gone twice to sit in the sun. Way too sketchy now. Large groups. People are at least not on top of each other but there's been no enforcement. Never see cops or park service say anything or even be around.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm hoping it's not the case, but Europe's reopening will suffer the same fate as the US. Humans just don't give a shit and have short memories.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+144 new cases (176783 total)
+11 deaths ( 13732 total)

Rate of transmission is 1.11
766 people in hospitals
149 in ICU
65 on ventilators

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Locally (southern California), I've been seeing A LOT of kids congregating together (roughly 13 to 23 year olds), be it at parks, skating down the street, etc - they obviously don't live together, and they're just hanging out willy nilly, and no masks, as if there's no pandemic. I've even seen a few house parties, with a bunch of teens as their parents seem to be out of town. Kids don't seem to give a fuck, and this is how we'll die.

Some kids are going to be dumb about this shit no matter what so it is incumbent upon adults to make rules that facilitate good behavior and to model safer behavior.

Lots of adults have been real shit at both lately, and living in a culture that prioritizes personal liberty over collective good can't help.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
AZ update 7/19

+2359 cases, positivity dropped to 17% (great news)
+31 deaths

• The 7 day trend for new daily hospitalizations ticked up slightly due to a 55% increase in hospitalizations over yesterday (249 to 386). See the chart here and my spreadsheet with the data here. This brings today's ER to hospitalization ratio in line with the 7 day trend after the BIG (and frankly, strange) drop yesterday I pointed out.
  • The number of patients that were seen in the ER dropped once again over yesterday which is a good sign.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping it's not the case, but Europe's reopening will suffer the same fate as the US. Humans just don't give a shit and have short memories.
You can't lump all of Europe together. If you have well functioning contact tracing you can control the pandemic (see SK). So far re-opening in Germany works pretty well. I still would like bars to close but it is what it is. The US re-opening didn't work bc it happened when the pandemic was not under control and apparently the contact tracing doesn't work well even if it were under control before re-opening (interstate travel, register issues etc.).

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Italy's update:
+219 new positive cases (total 244434)
+3 new deaths (total 35045)
+143 new recoveries (total 196949)

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really worried CT is going to start bouncing up again based on what I've seen, but slowly enough so that they can still justify school... so that we'll all be in school right as the numbers are starting to get bad again, and it'll just make things even worse.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Previous highest daily number of new coronavirus cases in Kentucky was 625 back on May 5. 979 new cases today.

The 4th of July has destroyed any work done in the last few months, I bet KY breaks 1000 new cases a day easily this week.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Got my antibody results back this week (I've never tested positive for COVID) - negative like 96 percent of DC.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
So on Friday, my dad made me and my mom go dine in because UGH, within minutes of getting our food, a drifter comes and coughs at the otherside of the restaurant, I'm now officially paranoid and got in a fight with my dad why he wanted to dine in when a looming threat is around us.

Also there's a chance I may have to go to in person classes to finish my major because the online stuff sucked and yet, AZ is still in the red.

Whee.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
7 new cases in Slovenia, 371 tests made (Sunday). 1 more death,which means total of 113. 19 people in the hospital, 3 on ICU.

There was a case in kindergarten and over 80 people are in quarantine now.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Not peer reviewed, but interesting development. Synairgen announces positive results from trial of SNG001 in hospitalised COVID-19 patients

www.globenewswire.com

Synairgen announces positive results from trial of SNG001 in hospitalised COVID-19 patients

Press release Synairgen plc(‘Synairgen’ or the ‘Company’) Synairgen announces positive results from trial of SNG001 in hospitalised COVID-19 patients...
That sounds quite promising. Hopefully it's proven out.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Not peer reviewed, but interesting development. Synairgen announces positive results from trial of SNG001 in hospitalised COVID-19 patients

www.globenewswire.com

Synairgen announces positive results from trial of SNG001 in hospitalised COVID-19 patients

Press release Synairgen plc(‘Synairgen’ or the ‘Company’) Synairgen announces positive results from trial of SNG001 in hospitalised COVID-19 patients...

this sounds promising, a double blind study

Naru

May 11, 2019
Man, when it comes to flying some of the Covid "regulations" I totally understand like masks on every airplane but some I don't understand like I just wasted 8 bucks on Eurowings thinking that I could take my normal hand luggage on board and one additional small messenger bag (40x30x10). Turns out if I do this I have to check in my hand luggage (for free though). How does this protect me or anyone else? My bag gets handled by multiple people now instead of just me. Also they didn't mention that on their site when I added this option to my booking. It was my fault for not checking their Covid guidelines beforehand but come on, at least mention it on the site if I add it to my flight. They also claim that this is due to "new Covid health regulations" but what kind of regulations are that exactly?

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Not to mention the disingenuous argument in the US that we can reopen because other countries can do it with minimal issue. Honestly I've never seen so many people spouting grossly flawed positions. It's eating me up and I can't look away.
This argument tickles me because you know what else other countries do? Not have as many mass shootings and solid healthcare for everyone. But somehow no one wants to try to copy those.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like outdoor dining is going to stay for a while (and it should) in states like NY and NJ. NY moving to Phase 4 without indoor dining.

Back to normal! I definitely deserved that avatar though.

Normally I find the bets funny as hell but that particular avatar punished us all lol

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, when it comes to flying some of the Covid "regulations" I totally understand like masks on every airplane but some I don't understand like I just wasted 8 bucks on Eurowings thinking that I could take my normal hand luggage on board and one additional small messenger bag (40x30x10). Turns out if I do this I have to check in my hand luggage (for free though). How does this protect me or anyone else? My bag gets handled by multiple people now instead of just me. Also they didn't mention that on their site when I added this option to my booking. It was my fault for not checking their Covid guidelines beforehand but come on, at least mention it on the site if I add it to my flight. They also claim that this is due to "new Covid health regulations" but what kind of regulations are that exactly?
The idea is to reduce the amount of time passengers spend in the airplane loading and unloading their carry-ons. Spending an extra 15-20 minutes with everyone in the confined space of the plane is a much larger risk factor for everyone involved than checking everyone's luggage.

Naru

May 11, 2019
Spending an extra 15-20 minutes with everyone in the confined space of the plane is a much larger risk factor for everyone involved than checking everyone's luggage.
I agree if this would be actually the case. I have on up top and one under my seat. The one in question, the additional bag, would be the one under my seat. Guess how long it takes to pull it out. 2 seconds? 5 seconds tops if I have to store the book/switch/magazine I was reading in it. So this makes no sense at all. I am sorry, but I am just trying to make sense of this. I am one of the first that tells people to pull up their fucking mask to cover their noses but this? This doesn't compute.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Because it is that half hour where everyone is lining up to each other to get the bagage from up top.

Oct 27, 2017

There have been parties here in SW CT also. Thanks to summer activity since the 4th of July, we're just about back to an Rt of 1.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of arguments online about trying to differentiate those who died of COVID vs those who died with COVID. I don't see how that's remotely possible. These people will use anything to downplay the seriousness of this.

Naru

May 11, 2019
Because it is that half hour where everyone is lining up to each other to get the bagage from up top.
But that's what's still happening. You're still able to take the hand luggage on the plane. It's just the small extra bag you had to stow away under your seat that is the problem. If you have the normal hand luggage and that extra small bag (even if you paid extra for it) you have to check in the larger one you would normally stow away above your head. It doesn't matter... It doesn't make any sense.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
My state finally being called out...took long enough.

I don't know how we solve the problem of people not being able to see beyond their own noses when it comes to a pandemic. Well, aside from a strong, unified country approach.
Many smaller states have been flying under the radar because they don't have as big of Actual numbers. But it's hiding the fact they are doing just as terrible as many other big states on a per capita basis.

Once again why per capita reporting can be so critical to identify hot spots.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I see a lot of arguments online about trying to differentiate those who died of COVID vs those who died with COVID. I don't see how that's remotely possible. These people will use anything to downplay the seriousness of this.

This is such a large problem that one of Detroit's local papers devoted an entire article to debunking COVID myths/conspiracies today. Which is like their four or fifth such article the past few months.

Oakland County's medical examiner, Dr. Ljubisa Dragovic, said his office is not inflating the number of COVID-19 deaths. When the professionals in his office determine the cause and manner of death, they are guided by scientific methodology, and they are not making decisions to get stimulus money from the government.

He said the office tests all bodies that it autopsies for COVID-19, but not to use COVID-19 as a cause of death, but to track the spread of the virus.

"We've had some cases that were positive, but it does not mean the person died of the infection," Dragovic told the Free Press last week .

For example, the office recently autopsied someone who had been shot. He tested positive for COVID-19, but the cause of death was gunshot wounds, the manner of death a homicide.
www.freep.com

Experts debunk conspiracy theories coronavirus cases are inflated to scare people

Oakland County's medical examiner says contrary to some theories, deaths caused by car accidents and gunshot wounds are not declared coronavirus cases.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen a lot of people just convinced they already had it back in March as well. I told them to go get the anti body test if they so convinced. Funny Enough every single person That has gotten it has tested negative

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen a lot of people just convinced they already had it back in March as well. I told them to go get the anti body test if they so convinced. Funny Enough every single person That has gotten it has tested negative

Shit, ive had family members who thought they had it back in 2019 of November. No one knew what it was, but it was all the same symptoms. I have a feeling it was here way before we even thought.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+177 new cases (176963 total)
+9 deaths (13741 total)

Rate of transmission dropped a lot...I have to admit I'm pretty skeptical on the accuracy of that number but either way its an indicator of things trending the right way.

EdYcpOrXoAAQB-t

EdYcp5LX0AUM601

EdYcwVAWsAALCrL

EdYcw0jXgAU04f-

EdYcxSzXoAYGeOJ

EdYc7nLWsAEco5z

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Hi! I'm back here again to post an update on the current situation in Chile and how it has evolved since I last posted (which was a week ago I think?)

Update as of July 20th

+ 2.099 new postives -> 333.029 total, 371.323 with probable cases
+ 130 new deaths (READ COMMENTS BELOW)
  • 8.866 confirmed by government and Health Statistics Department
  • 12.798 with "probable" cases (probable as in diagnosed with Covid but no PCR)

+ 16.343 reported tests, 1.420.390 total
* 12.8% daily positivity and 23.4% total positivity

Comments:

On positivity and reponening: As you can see positivity has indeed dropped, which has turned the talk into a "let's reopen" plan. They shared a reopening plan "step by step", one of the first steps in basically everyone going to work but just that, you'll live to work and can't do anything else. This plan has been openly critized becaue one main points that need to be accomplished is a 80% of traceability which in reality is UNKOWN. Government hasn't shared with scientists their data on traceability, so people don't even know. In any case, the plan still doesn't have a date.They will supposedly share this data tomorrow, so we'll see.

On death toll: Government stopped doing their own fishy record, but they still don't recognize the "probable" cases, of those diagnosed with Covid by medics since they have every single sympthom but no PCR+, in the total. One thing that needs to be known and understood, is that the daily number is not actual deaths in 24h, but deaths registered by the public civil records office, so it is lagged (it was once said that this number wasn't trusted - when it showed higher toll than official numbers - but now it is, now that it shows lower numbers than the 24h would). It's still a mess.

In any case, since the number is lagged, after a couple of days we DO get to know how daily numbers actually are as of July 16th:

- Peak death toll in 24h was June 9th, with 271 deaths.
- Between March 15th and June 9th there were 5.501 deaths - 63 deaths daily on average
- Between June 10th and July 16th, there were 6.934 deaths - 187 deaths daily on average

Even on official public records numbers, daily death toll is almost 100 a day. So it's terrible in relation to our population.

On the evolution in different parts of the country: While the capital has improved (still having 273.293 of the total positive cases with around 8 million population), other regions are increasing.

Valparaiso: 19.948 total cases
Antofagasta: 13.304 total
Bio Bio: 10.336 total
Ohiggins: 10.851 total
Maule: 8.241 total

Those are the top 5 after Santiago. With alarming rates of increasing cases.

Last edited:

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Shit, ive had family members who thought they had it back in 2019 of November. No one knew what it was, but it was all the same symptoms. I have a feeling it was here way before we even thought.
It was here and circulating before we thought (especially in February) but the symptoms so closely resemble other colds/flu/respiratory infections that I would caution anybody that thinks they had it unless they know they were directly exposed. Like I said I can't tell you how many people were dead set that they had it and not a single person I know has tested positive for antibodies.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018

Is this true? I thought you could only primarily get the virus by breathing it in? Like it shouldn't stick to the neck right?